Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I Am Just a Box posted:

Holy gently caress, man.

I mean, I'm sorry, I realize you've probably cooled down since you wrote this post and you probably didn't mean to direct it towards the entire thread collectively. And there is a lot of heat going around. But this really distresses me. It is not the first time I've seen one of the Exalted writers, in their capacity as an Exalted writer talking to friends and fans of the game, just loving snap and open and close their hand like a puppet mouth and do the I'm-a-fan-listen-to-what-a-whiny-bitch-I-am voice. It's not the second time. It's not even the second distinct writer. (Editor, collaborator, think tank guy, whatever.)

He's right, though. Insane amounts of weirdly hostile yet totally empty bluster are being thrown around in those posts. If you read carefully you'll notice thst the only cogent criticism to be found is along the lines of "the implementation of Resonance could be disruptive to play" but of course the acual playbook in use is so formulaic and devoid of detail that it could as easily be applied, as Stephenls demonstrates, to literally anything at all.

Now people are even reaching for material so desperately as to bring up Raksi again... even though we have, in this very thread, already figured ou the problem in presentation there and had the book's editor himself acknowledge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ferrinus posted:

He's right, though. Insane amounts of weirdly hostile yet totally empty bluster are being thrown around in those posts. If you read carefully you'll notice thst the only cogent criticism to be found is along the lines of "the implementation of Resonance could be disruptive to play" but of course the acual playbook in use is so formulaic and devoid of detail that it could as easily be applied, as Stephenls demonstrates, to literally anything at all.

Now people are even reaching for material so desperately as to bring up Raksi again... even though we have, in this very thread, already figured ou the problem in presentation there and had the book's editor himself acknowledge it.
I wasn't talking about Resonance at all, get your ghost-dad facts straight :mad:

That said, my bitching about the Neverborn did leverage a synergy with bitching about Resonance, so it worked out.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The reasoning that was thrown around by Devs for why Raksi eats babies is some of my favorite Exalted stuff ever and is sadly lost to the forums. I think it's second only to why Bestiality and Cannibalism were awesome things to base an entire player splat around.

Lunar's are the gift that keep on giving, even if all the gifts are terrible.

Fans fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 15, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fans posted:

The reasoning that was thrown around by Devs for why Raksi eats babies is some of my favorite Exalted stuff ever and is sadly lost to the forums. I think it's second only to why Cannibalism was an awesome thing to base an entire player splat around.

Is that about the sacred hunt? I never got the feeling that the sacred hunt required cannibalism specifically (maybe tasting the heart's blood but that feels qualitatively different), though it's quite possible my eye just skidded over that part in Lunars 2E.

What I wonder is how you sacred-hunt a tree. But that is probably why you need advanced Exalted wisdom to do it right.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Ferrinus posted:

Let's be fair, "people" here is literally just "me," and I'm not really trying to seriously score points or anything; it just seemed like kind of an inevitable comparison, and you know what, I'll even own up and apologize for it as irrelevant rather than invite another Raksi talk. I've read all the retrospective posts about Raksi and what went wrong and what should have been done and, honestly, I've found a lot of the attempts to defend her as a solid concept that was merely poorly executed unconvincing, but I don't feel a burning need to rehash the argument.

I do agree that there's a lot of irrational hostility being thrown around in this thread mixed in with the more reasonable criticism, and that's honestly why I don't often post here. Things got a lot bitchier again in the last few pages.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Fans posted:

The reasoning that was thrown around by Devs for why Raksi eats babies is some of my favorite Exalted stuff ever and is sadly lost to the forums. I think it's second only to why Bestiality and Cannibalism were awesome things to base an entire player splat around.

That gives me an idea! We could switch them over from Charms to Werewolf Gifts!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Stephenls posted:

The only gift I remember from the one Werewolf Game I played is the ability to stop a Car by looking at it.

I'm not sure how this will apply to Creation, but you've promised Cars now and can only disappoint me from here on out.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Fans posted:

The only gift I remember from the one Werewolf Game I played is the ability to stop a Car by looking at it.
Werewolves: ultimate bane of Hunters.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Stephenls posted:

Would be cooler than what lunars have so sure.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fans posted:

I'm not sure how this will apply to Creation, but you've promised Cars now and can only disappoint me from here on out.
I don't know.

Cars here seems like a solid elder-level Lunar concept to me.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
This slap fight still sucks, but the Abyssal splat keeps coming up, so I'll ask a question that's been on my mind for a while.

Is David Lo Pan more properly an Abyssal Exalt or a true Deathlord?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Stephenls posted:

Hey, that's an upgrade. About as many Gifts are actually good as are Lunar Charms, but you can skip Gift prereqs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

Hey, that's an upgrade. About as many Gifts are actually good as are Lunar Charms, but you can skip Gift prereqs.
I think they were moving a bit in this direction with 2E but they didn't have the courage or spirit to go whole hog. Giving Lunars a bunch of shapeshifting tricks, possibly in a form that lets you piece them together, and also some Charms that work like Gifts did (i.e., for the most part being Cool New Tricks instead of requiring a lengthy sequence of useless poo poo to get at what you wanted). Maybe you could use the Evocations concept to let them derive sweet-rear end powers from their spirit form and become BraveStarr.

Throw in sorcery and martial arts access like presumably everyone will have at least a little of, and you got yourself a stew cooking.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Nessus posted:

I don't know.

Cars here seems like a solid elder-level Lunar concept to me.

Cars would clearly work better as a devil tiger than as an elder lunar.

Yes this is me being sarcastic.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 15, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Surely Lunars went whole hog. Going partial hog sounds like chimerism.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Certainly that would be a big improvement, given that Lunar trees were the worst outside of the boring and static Martial Arts railroads.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Nessus posted:

What I wonder is how you sacred-hunt a tree. But that is probably why you need advanced Exalted wisdom to do it right.

Not being able to turn into a tree until Essence 4 is one of the things about 2E Lunars that makes me sad. 3E BETTER CORRECT THIS INJUSTICE.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mistaya posted:

Not being able to turn into a tree until Essence 4 is one of the things about 2E Lunars that makes me sad. 3E BETTER CORRECT THIS INJUSTICE.
I think becoming a tree should be easy. Becoming an Ent, a little effort. Becoming a forest, a little effort more. Re-enacting the Breaking of Isengard - well, you either have to aim for that at chargen or build up to it, maybe. Or get some friends to help. Maybe some kind of an Entmoot.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Whoa, whoa.

You can't just turn into a tree! You have to earn that poo poo.

I mean, turning into an immobile object that can um... photosynthesize? You don't have to pay anything for food! That poo poo can break a game early on. Like, if you're in a manse, and you turn into a tree, you can trash that manse, especially if you have 50 years to root yourself right into the dragon lines.

Think about it. :ssh:

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Ferrinus posted:

I was just making a funny joke-'em-up about Lovecraft being a huge racist piece of poo poo that should never be used as a justification for anything, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Whoa, whoa.

You can't just turn into a tree! You have to earn that poo poo.

I mean, turning into an immobile object that can um... photosynthesize? You don't have to pay anything for food! That poo poo can break a game early on. Like, if you're in a manse, and you turn into a tree, you can trash that manse, especially if you have 50 years to root yourself right into the dragon lines.

Think about it. :ssh:
The real challenge will be standing

perfectly

still

long enough for the tree to forget you're sneaking up on it.

See clearly the evocations you'd get from your tree-form would be poo poo like this. "I can cop snacks and energy from sunlight!" "I can do siege-attack poo poo against heavy objects, if not very quickly!" Both of these are useful (if niche) abilities. I recall dimly that 2E had, in fact, a sidebar basically saying "let Lunars with a large library of heart's blood forms do this kind of computer-adventure-game poo poo, either automatically (monkey climbing rope) or with hefty bonuses (monkey climbing slippery oiled tentacle)."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

BryanChavez posted:

I was just making a funny joke-'em-up about Lovecraft being a huge racist piece of poo poo that should never be used as a justification for anything, though.

Lovecraft is cool because he was terrified of absolutely everything: birds, dogs, colors, books, black people, you name it. There's plenty to like in his collected works, and, like, liking his stuff is all you need. There's no "justification" here - "I like ____ so I'm drawing inspiration from it" isn't a justification, it's an explanation.

You can't justify daiklaves and animas and unintelligibly insane elder gods because they're part of the premise.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Lovecraft is cool because he was terrified of absolutely everything: birds, dogs, colors, books, black people, you name it. There's plenty to like in his collected works, and, like, liking his stuff is all you need. There's no "justification" here - "I like ____ so I'm drawing inspiration from it" isn't a justification, it's an explanation.

You can't justify daiklaves and animas and unintelligibly insane elder gods because they're part of the premise.

Yeah I think this drives at the core of it.

"I had an idea, and I wrote it down" is basically the core idea behind being a writer. You can't justify everything you write. Game designers need to examine the writerly crap and figure out how they're going to use it, but some things are setting elements and not strictly speaking mechanics. "I kept this thing because it was the idea I had at the time and I liked it" is why 90% of Exalted exists as it does. It wasn't designed by committee in a white room by carefully examining each and every choice to make sure it conformed to play standards or genre conventions or whatever. JUSTIFY LOOKSHY looks just as stupid when you break it down. "I like Sparta and they are technomagic Sparta" isn't much of a justification either but it sounds better when it's a thing you like.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mendrian posted:

"I had an idea, and I wrote it down" is basically the core idea behind being a writer. You can't justify everything you write. Game designers need to examine the writerly crap and figure out how they're going to use it, but some things are setting elements and not strictly speaking mechanics. "I kept this thing because it was the idea I had at the time and I liked it" is why 90% of Exalted exists as it does. It wasn't designed by committee in a white room by carefully examining each and every choice to make sure it conformed to play standards or genre conventions or whatever. JUSTIFY LOOKSHY looks just as stupid when you break it down. "I like Sparta and they are technomagic Sparta" isn't much of a justification either but it sounds better when it's a thing you like.

Yes, thank you.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mendrian posted:

JUSTIFY LOOKSHY looks just as stupid when you break it down. "I like Sparta and they are technomagic Sparta" isn't much of a justification either but it sounds better when it's a thing you like.

It's a bit of a bad example, considering earlier writers loved Lookshy in an impure manner.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's a bit of a bad example, considering earlier writers loved Lookshy in an impure manner.

JUSTIFY DAIKLAVES, then. Or JUSTIFY DEMONS. Or whatever. Literally everything is somebody's creative idea that was first thought up and written down, and how you use that thing is hashed out later. I'm all for excising stuff that is downright offensive or which adds nothing to the setting, but critisizing a neat idea because it was had at all is sorta silly. I agree we can do more with the Neverborn, I doubt anybody contests that, but they weren't created in the first place because of some broad purpose or for some specific thing. They were created because somebody thought about it for a while and thought it was cool. Or more accurately they thought about Wraith for a while and thought it would be cool in Exalted, and I don't really see why not.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
(That said, in Part 2 of my creative process I do put a lot of thought into "Does this setting element contribute to a playable setting? How can I adjust this setting element so it contributes to a more playable setting?" And I will occasionally-to-often take something from the list of things I come up with in Step 1 and throw it in the garbage because it doesn't work.)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Isn't the entire point of having an absurdly massive kitchen-sinky setting like Exalted, that contains play venues of almost every scope and genre, the fact that it doesn't need each atomic setting element to be justified to all parties from first principles?

If you wanted a game with a really tight narrative scope you could probably get away with like 20% of the pagecount

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Mendrian posted:

Lookshy presents an example of a powerful threshold state - strong enough to keep The Realm out of their business, but not enough to impose order over the direction without making a lot of concessions to other local powers and straight up leaving bind spots in their authority. Pragmatic enough to cut deals with anathema, but too battle-hardened and independent to just roll over and embrace the return of the old kings unless they drat well prove their worth. They're armed with some of the greatest and most terrifying weapons of the golden age, and with their decline in recent generations they're becoming desperate enough to start using them if that's what it takes to survive.

All of that is hook that you can put to use in a game, or use as a model for building your own content.

Most material about the Neverborn to date gets up to "Incomprehensible, spooky, hates you," and then stops. This would be fine if they were a far off background element, but the game then takes their presence and influence and drops it on the shoulder of every Dracula via resonance, whispers, and necromancy. One of those should change to make them fit, and if we want them to stick around because they're legacy and a Cool Thing (Which I agree they can be) it should be adding enough substance to make them inspire stories.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Lookshy presents an example of a powerful threshold state - strong enough to keep The Realm out of their business, but not enough to impose order over the direction without making a lot of concessions to other local powers and straight up leaving bind spots in their authority. Pragmatic enough to cut deals with anathema, but too battle-hardened and independent to just roll over and embrace the return of the old kings unless they drat well prove their worth. They're armed with some of the greatest and most terrifying weapons of the golden age, and with their decline in recent generations they're becoming desperate enough to start using them if that's what it takes to survive.

All of that is hook that you can put to use in a game, or use as a model for building your own content.

Most material about the Neverborn to date gets up to "Incomprehensible, spooky, hates you," and then stops. This would be fine if they were a far off background element, but the game then takes their presence and influence and drops it on the shoulder of every Dracula via resonance, whispers, and necromancy. One of those should change to make them fit, and if we want them to stick around because they're legacy and a Cool Thing (Which I agree they can be) it should be adding enough substance to make them inspire stories.

I agree that the Neverborn could have more done with them, but this post says more about your taste in what constitutes a 'valid' hook that it does about either setting element. What your saying is a valid justification for Lookshy - but what if I say that I don't need it, it could literally not exist and my game wouldn't change? I wouldn't be wrong, though it would likely create inconsistencies for some players.

"Incomprehensible malevolence given form, massive body-tombs that float over the mouth of the void whispering horrid truths to their supplicants, creatures whose very dreams thrust bony fingers through the flesh-soil of the Underworld" is plenty evocative. For some people. For others it's trite and too little.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The difference between what Loon said about Lookshy and what Mendrian said about the Neverborn is that the Lookshy stuff is detailed and concrete. Lookshy has a bunch of these artifacts and about this many Exalted and here are stats for some of them. The Neverborn are vague and abstract, even in the cool description Mendrian wrote. They don't actually do anything in the setting as written except piss on the agency of Abyssal PCs.

This isn't to say I don't like the Neverborn because I really do. I even like just saying Neverborn. But they need to be something more if they're going to be a great part of Exalted, instead of a bit of background for Deathlord bad guys and a pain in the rear end for people trying to do anything with Abyssal PCs.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Well, they certainly need to be something if we plan to talk about them as much as 2e did.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Mendrian posted:

I agree that the Neverborn could have more done with them, but this post says more about your taste in what constitutes a 'valid' hook that it does about either setting element. What your saying is a valid justification for Lookshy - but what if I say that I don't need it, it could literally not exist and my game wouldn't change? I wouldn't be wrong, though it would likely create inconsistencies for some players.
That your game isn't about them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I don't have an strong opinion about the Neverborn other than that there isn't much to know. Evocative as a fiction idea? Sure! Functional as a game concept? Ennnh.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Things need to be justified when they're actually contradictory or harmful to the project as a whole, not when they're some combination of underused and poorly implemented as the neverborn were.

To pick a totally random example, you, and here I mean the generic everyman "you" and no specific person, COULD but let's be honest here should demand justification for Martial Arts existing as one of the twenty five core Abilities. That's not because martial arts are boring or some equally generic taste-based complaint, but because the place of the supernatural martial arts in the setting clashes with that game mechanical implementation - it falls short of the vision and implies the opposite of what it should about the setting.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 15, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

You don't say.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Things need to be justified when they're actually contradictory or harmful to the project as a whole, not when they're some combination of underused and poorly implemented as the neverborn were.

To pick a totally random example, you, and here I mean the generic everyman "you" and no specific person, COULD but let's be honest here should demand justification for Martial Arts existing as one of the twenty five core Abilities. That's not because martial arts are boring or some equally generic taste-based complaint, but because the place of the supernatural martial arts in the setting clashes with that game mechanical implementation - it falls short of the vision and implies the opposite of what it should about the setting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm starting to think every ability should be Martial Arts.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Stephenls posted:

Well, they certainly need to be something if we plan to talk about them as much as 2e did.

They need to be something if they're the basis behind the Abyssals power. I mean you can be vague about poo poo players are never going to interact with, but you can't be vague about the thing constantly whispering in your ear that they're going to kill everyone you love if you don't start murdering people.

While we're on "Stuff that should probably be fleshed out a bit more if it has to stay in" it'd be nice if Spirit Shapes had a little bit more to them than "Because Spirit Shapes guys."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
In my opinion the Neverborn should be entities whose existence is determined primarily through their absence, like a black hole. A couple particularly curious and puissant ghosts - the Deathlords - had the gumption to stroll right up to the event horizon and peer at them with pinhole telescopes. But many among the dead study them. Through their careful study they learned that Martial Arts shouldn't be a core Ability in competition with Brawl and Melee.

• Locked thread