Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burger time
Apr 17, 2005

MILF destroyer posted:

Evil Ryu, Ken, Oni and Juri.

I think Oni's standing fierce is pretty good for whiff punishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
If only they knew how strong Cammy would become. :suicide:

She looks pretty good in Ultra as well.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Strategy guides for fighting games and MMOs are usually pretty bad because things get patched and there's often a lot of poo poo that is just plain wrong and was never right. You could probably write a good ST or 3s bible as those games are old as balls and nobody is finding a lot of new tech for those, but for a brand new game? I dunno. I take tier lists and the like with a huge grain of salt until a game has been out for a while.

Frame data and hitboxes are actual objective information and they're not going to change unless the game gets patched, so that's good.

I would know, I got guides to SSF4, MvC3, SFxT, Tekken 6, and a couple for WoW and FFXI. :downs:

Prowler
May 24, 2004

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

If only they knew how strong Cammy would become. :suicide:

What character was he using? Evil Ryu?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Ultra console release drops June 3 for PS3, June 4 for 360.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/05/15/ult...d-for-august-5/

Physical release August 5.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 15, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

MILF destroyer posted:

Evil Ryu, Ken, Oni and Juri.

I don't know enough about Oni and Juri, but Evil Ryu and Ken you definitely can whiff punish with cr. mk.

Most people you run across online don't do footsies at all. There are a lot of ways to bypass footsies in SF4, and many are character dependent like elbow drops; lunge punches; etc., but the best and most universal way to bypass them is jumping. This is why many people recommend that you just throw fireballs and bait jumps so that you can punish with an anti-air.

Many strong pokes and footsies lose completely to a jump-in, meaning if you are at the optimal range for the poke and throw it out right as they jump, they will either get a full jump-in combo, or at least force you to do nothing but block the jump-in in response. You have to work with what openings your opponent gives you, and if they are going to just jump into your face with minimal pressure, go with that. Whiff punishing is what you have to resort to only when your opponent is actually playing a mid-range poking game with you. Footsies only really start happening when your opponent is smart enough to realize that they aren't going to win by doing jump-ins or other gambits to get in.

If you are playing someone who actually fights you with footsies: Staying grounded, blocking, throwing out pokes, and trying to whiff punish you, that's when it's time to start testing out whiff punishes. Your whiff punish will have to depend on what pokes they are going for, but generally a cr. mk is going to be good. Just remember that you need to keep actively looking for a jump-in. You have to prove that you are able to anti-air extremely well or they will have little reason to bother playing footsies with you. If you start getting really predictable with certain pokes--like if you always do cr. mk when they reach a certain range--they can just risk a jump right when they expect your cr. mk and hit you with a jump-in during your recovery.

Keep in mind that a raw fireball is also good once you have someone who actually plays footsies with you. Shooting a close-range fireball--just outside of their poke range--will punish most pokes they throw out. It also makes them more likely to look for a jump. Finally, keep in mind that if they are throwing out a lot of slow pokes (think Ryu, Chun, Boxer swee) or getting super predictable, or if they are fireballing too much, you probably want to consider just jumping for a big punish.

Good practice for footsies is when have someone cornered. You are at a huge footsie advantage when your opponent is cornered because you can change the range around while they can't. This allows you to move just into range of a poke you want to bait and back up to look for a whiff punish. They can't back up in response to mess with the range; you are fully in charge here. They are also much more likely to try to jump out in these situations, so you can do a lot of shuffling just in and out of optimal anti-air range.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 15, 2014

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rudger posted:

Usually the writers get early access to the console version and are able to flesh it out a little bit to get information on it--plenty of games do this.

Right, but enough to say "I and a few guys at the office have played this game for a month, therefore Im qualified to come up with a tier list!"

Yeah Prima, waste all that space! Gotta get that guide's thickness up somehow!

It has frame data which is nice, but instead of listing it with the character's sections its all just lumped into the back of the book. Like they didnt think to add it till the last second and rather than modifying all the previous pages they just said "eh gently caress it"

Edit: Oh wow I just remembered my reasoning behind buying this piece of poo poo. "Madcatz really stepped up their game for SF4, I guess Prima deserves a chance too!" Hahah what a retard.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 15, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Satorr posted:

Ultra console release drops June 3 for PS3, June 4 for 360.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/05/15/ult...d-for-august-5/

Physical release August 5.

So full price only for PC? No upgrade?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

"No information has been provided regarding PC."

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Well to be fair even if theres no upgrade option for PC, itll be on sale for 5 bucks within a month.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So if Ultra is coming out soon, I'm wanting to attempt (again) to get into Street Fighter.

I've played UMVC3 to a decent level and I feel really comfortable with it.
However every time I try and pick up SF, I play for a few days then begin to feel that there's no point playing at all unless you can do arcane hand wizard poo poo like plinking and standing 720s.

Can I play this game without spending tens of hours in practice mode picking up that stuff or will I be forever stuck with c.MK into hadouken? If so, what do I need to do differently this time?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Since we were talking about how much Yun benefits from EX Red Focus, it feels appropriate to link this short article/story posted on SRK bitching about it, especially as it includes the Tokido quote that sparked that video's creation in the first place: http://shoryuken.com/2014/05/13/oshino-details-how-red-focus-has-made-yun-extremely-powerful-in-ultra-street-fighter-iv/

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Would be nice if they said WHERE you can pre-order.

MILF destroyer
Feb 6, 2014

systran posted:

Good poo poo

Thanks, funnily enough I'm the one who has so far been mostly just doing the bypassing footsies thing by jumping. Not a stupid amount and I have been using obvious pokes like Kens fwd mk and Onis fwd fierce but for some reason I thought whiff punishing was pure reactions and thought 'how can I walk out of range of the move if I'm going to be in proximity guard when I see it start up?' :downs:
So am I right in thinking that a characters hurtboxes extend during the active and recovery frames of a move so that they can be hit from farther away?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

MILF destroyer posted:

Thanks, funnily enough I'm the one who has so far been mostly just doing the bypassing footsies thing by jumping. Not a stupid amount and I have been using obvious pokes like Kens fwd mk and Onis fwd fierce but for some reason I thought whiff punishing was pure reactions and thought 'how can I walk out of range of the move if I'm going to be in proximity guard when I see it start up?' :downs:
So am I right in thinking that a characters hurtboxes extend during the active and recovery frames of a move so that they can be hit from farther away?

Not just hit, but also thrown. Be careful poking at a grappler who's ready for you because you will eat an SPD from outside of Zangief's poke range and feel like a miserable twat for the rest of the day.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Fellblade posted:

So if Ultra is coming out soon, I'm wanting to attempt (again) to get into Street Fighter.

I've played UMVC3 to a decent level and I feel really comfortable with it.
However every time I try and pick up SF, I play for a few days then begin to feel that there's no point playing at all unless you can do arcane hand wizard poo poo like plinking and standing 720s.

Can I play this game without spending tens of hours in practice mode picking up that stuff or will I be forever stuck with c.MK into hadouken? If so, what do I need to do differently this time?

How many hours did you spend in UMvC3's training mode? Yes, of course you will have to spend some time in training made if you want more immediate results. But you're crazy if you think you can't do well in this game "unless you can do arcane hand wizard poo poo like plinking and standing 720s." The hand wizard poo poo in Marvel is harder, imo. Just play a character you really enjoy playing, spend a few hours in training mode and looking up poo poo online and you'll be good to go. I play one of the most basic Dee Jays around, and have good results with just his zoning game, nothing fancy.

(Can't wait to play Hugo. We'll just see if he's bottom tier.)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The damage you get off doing a basic magic series into launcher in Marvel is less than you get off cr. mk xx hadouken in SF4. It's just in Marvel every hit does way less damage than in SF4, so really basic and easy combos in Marvel where you just hit certain buttons in a row look a lot cooler than a basic 2-in-1 punish in SF4. SF4's combos are simple finger puzzles really

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Plinking is hitting one button then two buttons in a row, it's not that complicated.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Fellblade posted:

You could try a character with lower execution requirements until you're more comfortable with the system and execution. I don't play SF4 much anymore but I use Rufus when I do. His punish combo is S. Fierce xx Tornado, S. Short link to S. Fierce is a one-frame link but leaves me safe if I miss it, and the biggest thing I have to worry about is doing the Ultra command in full so that I don't get EX Snake Strike. He's a stupid character but I can do his stuff at least.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Would be nice if they said WHERE you can pre-order.

Yeah, I dunno where I can preorder the DLC for the costumes. I didn't even realize you COULD preorder DLC.

I preordered the retail release for PS3 because well, why not have it for both consoles now that I have one, and on Amazon it says it'll be released Sept. 2nd. Uh... that's like a month after August 5th.

systran posted:

Jumps vs. footsites

I think this is part of my problem in ranked. I throw out pokes and get whacked by jump ins a lot. It also explains why I do significantly better outside of ranked.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Arcade Edition is apparently on Games With Gold today June and I never bothered buying it for reasons. Guess time to hop on and predate on all the bads who don't know how to play until I'm placed in my (still lovely) proper BP.

EDIT: I have poor reading comprehension.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 15, 2014

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!

Gutcruncher posted:

Right, but enough to say "I and a few guys at the office have played this game for a month, therefore Im qualified to come up with a tier list!"

Yeah Prima, waste all that space! Gotta get that guide's thickness up somehow!

It has frame data which is nice, but instead of listing it with the character's sections its all just lumped into the back of the book. Like they didnt think to add it till the last second and rather than modifying all the previous pages they just said "eh gently caress it"

Edit: Oh wow I just remembered my reasoning behind buying this piece of poo poo. "Madcatz really stepped up their game for SF4, I guess Prima deserves a chance too!" Hahah what a retard.

quote:

Some would argue that Guile's Flash Explosion is one of the best Ultra Combos in the game.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Flash Explosion is the best Ultra Combo in the game!
\

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Man, the meat splasher restand looks so weird. Are there any other restand combos in the game or is Hugo's the only one? I can't remember any others off the top of my head.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

AnonSpore posted:

Man, the meat splasher restand looks so weird. Are there any other restand combos in the game or is Hugo's the only one? I can't remember any others off the top of my head.

Fuerte used to have one but I'm pretty sure they patched it out

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Trykt posted:

Fuerte used to have one but I'm pretty sure they patched it out

It still works.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Fellblade posted:

Practice for just 15-20 minutes at a time, do this somewhere between every day and 3 times a week. Focus on being consistent and not having any extra button presses. Break anything you're trying to learn into the simplest parts. It's all muscle memory, don't bang your head against the wall trying to get it down RIGHT NOW; keep practicing and before you know it everything will start to click.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

AnonSpore posted:

EX Tanden Engine, the two-bar classic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mio Bison posted:

EX Tanden Engine, the two-bar classic.

Ah yeah, you're right. For some reason EX tanden restand is much more "natural" to me than the meat splasher thing is. Didn't know Fuerte had one too, though.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

What's the difference between a juggle and a restand? Is it a specific property that just causes moves to cause a standing state instead of the regular juggle?

-A69-
Apr 2, 2009
is there a decent Yang character tut anywhere? And for that matter, is there one for Cammy where I can use the stuff Kbrad talks about in the scumbag one?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

MILF destroyer posted:

Footsies video by JuiceBox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

I found this really enlightening and although I kind of have been doing some of it I wish this sort of stuff wasn't outnumbered 100:1 by videos about ~super sick nasty~ unblockables and dumb vortex poo poo. I can plink and kara throw but honestly I can't whiff punish at all, explains why I find fighting against characters like Bison and Chun Li hard work. I think I've learned things a bit rear end backwards. It suddenly seems like I'm not playing a 1 player game just trying to land whatever combo anymore. I know that sounds dumb but I thought I was getting decent, I'm beating 3000+pp players and even get complimentary messages and now I realise I'm actually terrible because I can't play footsies. gently caress.

Edit: What kind of normal should I be looking for as general use whiff punishing? Something with a forward hitbox and special cancellable?

This is a proclick.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Bovineicide posted:

This is a proclick.

Wow Juicebox is incredibly unlikable. Holy poo poo.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Bovineicide posted:

This is a proclick.

As much as I dislike the way Juicebox tends to explain things, I agree. I'll add this to the OP.

It reminded of a really great summary of what footsies actually is from Buktooth

• Sticking Out Moves beats Walking Forward
  • Walking Forward beats Whiff Punishing
  • Whiff Punishing beats Sticking Out Moves

This is very simplified and it still takes a bit of analysis to understand exactly why each thing "beats" each other thing, but that's exactly what Juicebox is breaking down in the vid. Good stuff.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Wow Juicebox is incredibly unlikable. Holy poo poo.

He explains things a bit like a Southern Baptist preacher. I like it.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Read the footsies handbook: http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

He explains things a bit like a Southern Baptist preacher. I like it.

It was a really good thing to watch as someone at scrub tier, but the whole time I'm thinking "So, this only works if the other guy is predictable?". I guess that makes sense, but if you're playing someone completely clueless or just random you can't really "footsie" in this context, right? I guess that's where being a true "pro" comes in: being able to somehow predict someone who thinks they're semi-random within a two game set? Otherwise, realizing the other guy isn't playing footsies and defaulting to what you know will work?

I think I'll worry about learning one character's normals, then specials, then combos, then options, then matchups, then worry about being clever.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Totally seconding the motion that everyone should read this. This guide has helped me so much with my play, it's insane.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

ToiletDuckie posted:

It was a really good thing to watch as someone at scrub tier, but the whole time I'm thinking "So, this only works if the other guy is predictable?".

Street Fighter is all about finding ways to punish someone for doing something you've predicted. The strategies he's talking about are simply extra opportunities to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

PLEASE read this if you want to be good at fighting games.

• Locked thread