Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That seriously looks so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ward claims that he's weak because he cares but everything we've seen of the "real" Grant Ward makes him look like a sociopath.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Some of the effects seem a bit cheesy/straight up bad, but if it's as good as it looks, I might actually become a fan of the character (My knowledge of Flash comes from Justice League and Impulse, basically).

I do love the potential mythos of the show: time travel has been all but confirmed with Reverse-Flash/Professor Zoom, and alternate realities and dimensions are bound to follow, and that will open up all kinds of comic book insanity. Just start with "Eddie Thawne" skulking around all secret time traveler - like, and escalate that into century-long feuds, battles across space-time, and superhero legacies.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I know they likely do not have the budget to make every episode deliver but I am still excited for The Flash. That trailer, with a bigger budget, would have gotten me excited for a Flash movie, and I was someone who thought that could never happen.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I do love the potential mythos of the show: time travel has been all but confirmed with Reverse-Flash/Professor Zoom, and alternate realities and dimensions are bound to follow, and that will open up all kinds of comic book insanity. Just start with "Eddie Thawne" skulking around all secret time traveler - like, and escalate that into century-long feuds, battles across space-time, and superhero legacies.

Not to mention that the guy in the wheelchair will likely be Hunter Solomon/Zoom. The way he was yelling at Barry to run faster reminded me of Zoom' s goading to make Wally a better hero.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What I think Flash really has going for it is the rogues. Green Arrow doesn't really have that many established rogues so they have had to borrow from other properties (or just straight out Justice League stuff) but Flash already has an in built rogues gallery. It looks like the first main one is going to be Weather Master, and with the portal/whatever opening up we are going to probably see a lot more people with powers coming up.
One interesting thing I'm going to look out for is how they are going to differentiate the city from Arrow to Flash, seeing as both are filmed in Vancouver. That might be amusing. Also, I wish CW would just order a bloody Suicide Squad tv show already.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Moai Ou posted:

Not to mention that the guy in the wheelchair will likely be Hunter Solomon/Zoom. The way he was yelling at Barry to run faster reminded me of Zoom' s goading to make Wally a better hero.

Eddie Thawn has already been cast, so I don't think that's quite the direction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Also, I wish CW would just order a bloody Suicide Squad tv show already.

I think that if the Flash does well, that's their next move, with Manu headlining. They better not try to steal Diggle though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm hoping that guy turns out to be Niles Caulder

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm hoping that guy turns out to be Niles Caulder

The character's name is Harison Wells.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

One interesting thing I'm going to look out for is how they are going to differentiate the city from Arrow to Flash, seeing as both are filmed in Vancouver. That might be amusing.

Superheroing scenes in daylight would probably make 90% of the difference. And not having the city be a crime-infested hellhole.

e: Central City is Vancouver by day; Starling City is Vancouver by night. :v:

e2: Also, there's an obvious and necessary emphasis on large, open spaces: Arrow is 80% indoors, whether in offices, houses, or dark warehouses. Rooftops are the obvious exception (the trailer even signifies this by having Barry and Ollie meet on a rooftop). You'll never see something like the Ferris airfield on Arrow for a major scene.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 15, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Superheroing scenes in daylight would probably make 90% of the difference. And not having the city be a crime-infested hellhole.

I'd like it if it ended up, tonally at least, like STAS compared to BTAS. They had the same production house and similar animation styles, but Superman was bright and comic book-y and Batman was dark and realistic.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

zoux posted:

I'd like it if it ended up, tonally at least, like STAS compared to BTAS. They had the same production house and similar animation styles, but Superman was bright and comic book-y and Batman was dark and realistic.

Batman was not realistic, it took place 30 years before Archer.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I haven't seen mor then a couple of episodes of Arrow, but Flash looks amazing, and I might tune in regularly to it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

That looks... incredibly good. Ollie as the hero mentor works amazingly well, too. I'm not even a big DC fan and seeing a real, interconnected DC universe with real Flash and real Green Arrow being brought to life in live action like that brought a tear to my eye.

zoux posted:

That comparison occurred to me, too. The idea of seeing the DCAU spiritually reborn in live action form, and not sucking, is kinda incredible.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 15, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An interesting thing about that extended trailer is in the scene where he's first wearing the suit it looks like he's also wearing some kind of rebreather over his mouth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

An interesting thing about that extended trailer is in the scene where he's first wearing the suit it looks like he's also wearing some kind of rebreather over his mouth.

Yeah you can see it when Vibe initially shows him the suit as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, Ollie's cameo makes sense. Barry's a part of his development, seeing that his attempt to honour Tommy's memory isn't a failure, that he is capable of being, to quote Liam Neeson Ra's al Ghul, "more than just a man", so now he gets to assure Barry that he can be that as well. Maybe even better than him, because Barry doesn't have the trauma of having to live by his wits on an island of killers for years holding him back.

Also, looks like they're going with the mach 1 limit for him, at least to start, assuming that spedometer on the airfield was in MPH.

Plus, the production team have to love that the property comes with it's own intro narration mostly written AND fitting their established format.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I wonder if they're going to go down the whole "Speed Force" route?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

jng2058 posted:

I wonder if they're going to go down the whole "Speed Force" route?

If they do the time travel thing they might do speed force too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They may name it that, but Tom Cavanaugh has a bit of exposition there which seems to amount to "Um, we done hosed up and opened portals to other dimensions, and now people have superpowers", which seems to be their justification for why Arrow just has people with what amounts to a bit above Captain America powers, and Flash has guys that can summon tornados and poo poo.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

muscles like this? posted:

I'll have to watch it at again at home (bigger screen) but it also looked like the original tv show costume was behind him in a case. Or something that sort of looked like it, anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

I'll have to watch it at again at home (bigger screen) but it also looked like the original tv show costume was behind him in a case. Or something that sort of looked like it, anyway.

Speaking of the original show, looks like JWS is playing Papa Allen.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

zoux posted:

Speaking of the original show, looks like JWS is playing Papa Allen.

"In my day, we just had the Trickster!"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gaz-L posted:

They may name it that, but Tom Cavanaugh has a bit of exposition there which seems to amount to "Um, we done hosed up and opened portals to other dimensions, and now people have superpowers", which seems to be their justification for why Arrow just has people with what amounts to a bit above Captain America powers, and Flash has guys that can summon tornados and poo poo.

This also should tie in nicely with why Flash can't just do Arrow's job for him, which was a worry for some people. Arrow would have a hell of a time dealing with Tornado guys every week, and so they each have their own cities with stuff in their own 'weight class' to deal with and we can still get the occasional crossover.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I mean that Flash trailer was close to the best thing I've seen in my life

but

I'm about 500% certain that Geoff Johns wrote that whole clunky "guardian angel saving people in a flash" line.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So are they actually going to try and set up Flashpoint for Season 1 of Flash? It looks very much like that could happen (minus the whole alternate reality thing)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

hi liter posted:

So are they actually going to try and set up Flashpoint for Season 1 of Flash? It looks very much like that could happen (minus the whole alternate reality thing)

Not if they're planning out things as far as they did with Arrow. Took 'em two seasons just to finish a storyline with Deathstroke, and they still got another 3 seasons of Oliver's "how I became a badass" backstory to cover.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

XboxPants posted:

Not if they're planning out things as far as they did with Arrow. Took 'em two seasons just to finish a storyline with Deathstroke, and they still got another 3 seasons of Oliver's "how I became a badass" backstory to cover.

That was quite good planning on Arrow's behalf. Also I am taking bids on when Ras becomes the series main villain. I am going with season 4.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

That was quite good planning on Arrow's behalf. Also I am taking bids on when Ras becomes the series main villain. I am going with season 4.

I think Deathstroke will be back for s4. Barrowman is a series regular next season so I assume he's the big bad for s3, but I think they are going to be squirrelly about using straight up big time Batman characters on Arrow. What if Gotham wanted to use Ras, you think DC would be ok with two different Ras's on two different networks?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

I think Deathstroke will be back for s4. Barrowman is a series regular next season so I assume he's the big bad for s3, but I think they are going to be squirrelly about using straight up big time Batman characters on Arrow. What if Gotham wanted to use Ras, you think DC would be ok with two different Ras's on two different networks?

It's a good question... but either way I have a feeling that ancient mystical ninja assassins don't really fit the gritty crime procedural feel they seem to be going for with Gotham.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

The League of Assassins played a small role this season, and Ras was name dropped a few times this season, specifically when Moira mentioned to Barrowman that Ras might be interested in hearing about his resurrection. I think Barrowman is going to be the big bad next season, with Thea as his protege pitting brother against sister.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Madkal posted:

The League of Assassins played a small role this season, and Ras was name dropped a few times this season, specifically when Moira mentioned to Barrowman that Ras might be interested in hearing about his resurrection. I think Barrowman is going to be the big bad next season, with Thea as his protege pitting brother against sister.

I half wondered if Merlyn was going to train his daughter and then at the end she switches sides and legitimately became Speedy. :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I half wondered if Merlyn was going to train his daughter and then at the end she switches sides and legitimately became Speedy. :v:

Oh, they're obviously going to do the thing where she's got an arrow nocked and ready to go at the Arrow's head, and Ollie takes the mask and hood off and throws down his bow, all "I won't fight you, Speedy!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From the TVIV thread.

If that's too much for anyone's browser I'll put half of em on the next page, when there is one.

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 16, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

boom boom boom posted:

Sarah Connor Chronicles

You just said the magic words!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Speaking of CW, they also just released the first official promo images for iZombie:

Also, have some ad copy.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
I got more enjoyment out of that 5 minute Flash teaser than I did during 150 minutes of Man of Steel. I'm in.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

moleman posted:

I got more enjoyment out of that 5 minute Flash teaser than I did during 150 minutes of Man of Steel. I'm in.

It was seriously incredible. I guess it could all fall apart when we see the whole episode but even if it's middling, just seeing the Flash run around is gonna go a long way for me.

I wonder what the budget is on something like that? Is it way bigger than the standard episode 'cause it's a pilot, or is that just the level that TV magic has reached these days? Great times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

XboxPants posted:

It was seriously incredible. I guess it could all fall apart when we see the whole episode but even if it's middling, just seeing the Flash run around is gonna go a long way for me.

I wonder what the budget is on something like that? Is it way bigger than the standard episode 'cause it's a pilot, or is that just the level that TV magic has reached these days? Great times.

My biggest fear is that they blew their load on the pilot and that a lot of the season is going to be very mundane stuff barely different from the most middling episodes of Arrow. Maybe the finale would be big too I guess.

But yeah, that extended preview was put together like a decent movie trailer.