Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mischitary posted:

Because it's not a KH title, it's an action RPG being directed by Tetsuya Nomura and has a lot of the original KH team involved so it's gonna be similar but I think they're gonna go for their own thing, especially now since KH3 is being developed for the same consoles.

FFXV is by far my most anticipated game. Out of all the big guns at S-E who seem to still be allowed to direct a game I probably trust Nomura more than anybody else. Especially since XV seems like his dream project. I think that we'll probably see more this E3 and I'm super excited.

Hello Mr. Opposite of Me in Every Way. I think Tetsuya Nomura is a complete hack who can't seem to execute a decent plot without truck-sized holes and utter nonsense and the design sensibilities of someone who consumed all popular music fashion and puked it up in its entirety onto a single mannequin. This plus an 8 year dev cycle seem to point at FFXV being a a highly likely clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nomura has not delivered a game with a hosed up development cycle until FFXV and all signs point to this game being quite possibly fun because if it goes full Nomura, we are getting stupid plot along with wonderfully fun gameplay and some silly character designs, which is what I play Final Fantasy for. It also seems like they're reworking the game to work better with the new style he wants and there's something good to anticipate there. There's no real reason to doubt Nomura unless you have some unspoken hatred for the man, but the dev cycle is reason for concern.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If anything FFX HD has actually made me realize the game is BETTER than I remembered. It really was the last FF game the fanbase wasn't extremely divided on.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

BBS is even more zoomed in than 3D, just so ya know

3D Lets you move around so fast that it becomes an issue though. At least it did in the demo. I would pick it up but Smash is coming at some point soon and that won't leave my 3DS :v:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Nomura has not delivered a game with a hosed up development cycle until FFXV and all signs point to this game being quite possibly fun because if it goes full Nomura, we are getting stupid plot along with wonderfully fun gameplay and some silly character designs, which is what I play Final Fantasy for. It also seems like they're reworking the game to work better with the new style he wants and there's something good to anticipate there. There's no real reason to doubt Nomura unless you have some unspoken hatred for the man, but the dev cycle is reason for concern.

I think this would be a valid point if XV's development wasn't so ridiculous. We found out about this game what, eight years ago? I can't really trust a guy with something that takes that long, no matter what else he's done. It's not really just his fault though, Square clearly has a really bad track record with these sorts of things and I'm expecting XV to go about the same as XIII.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If anything FFX HD has actually made me realize the game is BETTER than I remembered. It really was the last FF game the fanbase wasn't extremely divided on.
I'm in this same boat. I'd been playing through it again and man, it really is one of the BEST Final Fantasy games, and in my opinion the last "real" Final Fantasy. I loved XII but I fully acknowledge the critics that the combat changed so much that it wasn't really the same any more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nah, people really didn't like FFX when it came out. There was a lot of complaining about the gameplay, the limited number of enemy models, the voice acting and the characters and story. Especially the characters and story.

It wasn't as heavily divided as FFXII and FFXIII but opinions have softened on it a lot over the years.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

cams posted:

I'm in this same boat. I'd been playing through it again and man, it really is one of the BEST Final Fantasy games, and in my opinion the last "real" Final Fantasy. I loved XII but I fully acknowledge the critics that the combat changed so much that it wasn't really the same any more.

That's silly and so are critics. Every Final Fantasy is a real one, they're named Final Fantasy. The last traditional one was IX, you probably noticed, but XII still "counts" as much as X. Even XIII counts, it maintains the tradition II started of Final Fantasy games being awful.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
No but I don't like it so it doesn't count.

That's why there's only one FF game, V.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Momomo posted:

I think this would be a valid point if XV's development wasn't so ridiculous. We found out about this game what, eight years ago? I can't really trust a guy with something that takes that long, no matter what else he's done. It's not really just his fault though, Square clearly has a really bad track record with these sorts of things and I'm expecting XV to go about the same as XIII.

It was announced eight years ago, but it's not like it's been in full-time development during that time, like Duke Nukem Forever with its multiple scrapped versions. Both XIII and A Realm Reborn took all the developers and artists they could spare to get them finished on time, so XV didn't actually begin full production until 2011/2012. At least the Kingdom Hearts games that have come out since it was announced have been very good.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
FFX is a really good game but X-2 has my favourite RPG battle system ever so rather than rush through X to get to the sequel I'm just playing them in the wrong order.

I also havent really enjoyed any FF since X and X-2. I had fun with the couple of months I was playing realm reborn but I dont want to pay monthly for an MMO anymore.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Haven't seen it mentioned in the last few pages, but Lightning Returns is on sale on PSN for $25. I'd call that a fair price for the game even if it's the worst in the series like all the others.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Static Rook posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned in the last few pages, but Lightning Returns is on sale on PSN for $25. I'd call that a fair price for the game even if it's the worst in the series like all the others.

But wait isn't LR the best of the three XIII games? I'm getting so many mixed signals.

And how would I feel about it if I liked XIII but XIII-2 bored me to tears? Agh!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

But wait isn't LR the best of the three XIII games? I'm getting so many mixed signals.

And how would I feel about it if I liked XIII but XIII-2 bored me to tears? Agh!

It has the best gameplay of the trilogy, and the out of story bits are good fun and Lighting is actually a fun protagonist. IN story it's the same boring overcomplicated "let me use 50 words when I could use ten, and 90% of it will be repeating poo poo I just said in a slightly different way" bullshit it's always been. Seriously feels like the game has two different writing teams here.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

cams posted:

Every Final Fantasy is different. Some of them tweak more things than others, sometimes they demolish everything and build it from the ground up. "The combat is different" is not and will never be a valid reason to say that a game is not a :airquote: real :airquote: Final Fantasy game, whatever that means.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think I've enjoyed every Final Fantasy to varying degrees but I'll always love XII for how ambitious it was. We all know how troubled the development was but something about the world they crafted and how atmospheric and huge it felt always gets me. The ruins of Nabudis and the outlying lands covered in mist and undead are some of my favorite Final Fantasy areas. I wish the gameplay was less reliant on Hunt-style fetch quests and more focused story beats but the rest is really fun.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The only main series Final Fantasies that aren't real Final Fantasies are the MMOs, this is my objectively correct stance.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Peel posted:

The only main series Final Fantasies that aren't real Final Fantasies are the MMOs, this is my objectively correct stance.

I'd agree with you except Final Fantasy 14 is quite legitimately the MOST Final Fantasy Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy...IX.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah, A Realm Reborn is loving AMAZING. Like, c'mon.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The only real Final Fantasy will obviously be the final one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A Realm Reborn is like seriously the only MMO game I've thought about doing another subscription for, game owns.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So to answer my own question, im better off sticking with X and X-2 then yes?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

the_american_dream posted:

So to answer my own question, im better off sticking with X and X-2 then yes?

Bravely Default gets rave reviews from everybody and it has a job system like X-2 does.

FF13 is a miasma of awful, I guess 13-3 has Xenogears's battle system now so maybe that's cool but the poo poo is just offensively stupid, flashy and pretentious and devoid of any fun because nobody ever enjoys themselves and the black man gets shat on.

Go play Final Fantasy IX.

Zeblackcat
Nov 26, 2013

Kanfy posted:

The only real Final Fantasy will obviously be the final one.

There will never be a "final" one! Lies! More of "All The Bravest!"

Honestly though, XIV:ARR might've had a better story again to some extend, but I wouldn't play it for the story alone... it grows stale quickly. Square shined at it's brightest during the psx snes and psx era, and after that just kindoff went tumbling down.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Actually havent played X-2 before so im looking forward to it. Ill look at Bravely Default if im not RPGed out by then thanks :)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I liked both XII and XIII, but X is the last one I would recommend with any confidence to someone just on the strength of them having enjoyed earlier entries. Most people dislike XIII and XII loses its way structurally a third or so of the way through, and both are pretty untraditional.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Zeblackcat posted:

There will never be a "final" one! Lies! More of "All The Bravest!"

Honestly though, XIV:ARR might've had a better story again to some extend, but I wouldn't play it for the story alone... it grows stale quickly. Square shined at it's brightest during the psx snes and psx era, and after that just kindoff went tumbling down.

They've been going downhill since 3d world runner :colbert:

Zeblackcat
Nov 26, 2013

Cactrot posted:

They've been going downhill since 3d world runner :colbert:
I don't know man, Square's Tom Sawyer was pretty legit.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Zeblackcat posted:

I don't know man, Square's Tom Sawyer was pretty legit.

Is that last dude supposed to be a racist caricature, or just Huck Finn in blackface?

Zeblackcat
Nov 26, 2013

Don Gato posted:

Is that last dude supposed to be a racist caricature, or just Huck Finn in blackface?

Translation says his name is Jim, so I'm guessing it's the racist caricature from 1989.

Wiki posted:

The game was never localized outside of Japan, and was noted by IGN as an example of racism in video games. It was also noted by 1UP.com for its "horrible stereotyping". In 2010, UGO ranked it as the #4 most racist video game in history. The portrayal of black people as black faced caricatures with huge lips has been noted about the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hey you guys! Quit wanking off about your fantasies and pretending it's going to be the final time and check into something awful! Do you dislike Lightning Returns? Sure you do, because you're not totally lame! Want to make it 1000x better? Check into this thread to make all your wildest dreams come true, you stupid losers! Brought to you by the same people who gave you Mario Party extravaganza: Where the true tensions bubbled out below the surface, Sonic 2006: Where hedgehog's die, and Final Fantasy XIII-2: A YUEL WHO LOVED TO LET'S PLAY.

I personally love these guys, and I just wanted to share for those of you who don't actually obsessively click on the Let's Play subforum hoping that you'll someday soon see a thread about pokecapn and a sonic game again

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Levantine posted:

I think I've enjoyed every Final Fantasy to varying degrees but I'll always love XII for how ambitious it was. We all know how troubled the development was but something about the world they crafted and how atmospheric and huge it felt always gets me. The ruins of Nabudis and the outlying lands covered in mist and undead are some of my favorite Final Fantasy areas. I wish the gameplay was less reliant on Hunt-style fetch quests and more focused story beats but the rest is really fun.

You also have to consider that Akitoshi Kawazu came in late to the project as a hatchet man. He was practically the only person able to cut content because the team couldn't agree on a feature lock and get the game into alpha. You have to wonder what was left on the cutting room floor.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Final Fantasy was good least worse from 5 to 10. The rest is rear end.

E: Well, worser, I guess.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gologle posted:

Hey you guys! Quit wanking off about your fantasies and pretending it's going to be the final time and check into something awful! Do you dislike Lightning Returns? Sure you do, because you're not totally lame! Want to make it 1000x better? Check into this thread to make all your wildest dreams come true, you stupid losers! Brought to you by the same people who gave you Mario Party extravaganza: Where the true tensions bubbled out below the surface, Sonic 2006: Where hedgehog's die, and Final Fantasy XIII-2: A YUEL WHO LOVED TO LET'S PLAY.

I personally love these guys, and I just wanted to share for those of you who don't actually obsessively click on the Let's Play subforum hoping that you'll someday soon see a thread about pokecapn and a sonic game again

I hate you worse then anyone in this thread arguing about which final fantasy is a real final fantasy or which one was the last good one or whatever the gently caress.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Gologle posted:

Christ Lets Play is so loving dead it's not even funny anymore, it's just kind of sad.

edit: And it's because of poo poo like this

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 15, 2014

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

forbidden lesbian posted:

I hate you worse then anyone in this thread arguing about which final fantasy is a real final fantasy or which one was the last good one or whatever the gently caress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey guys wanna hear kung fu jesus talk over a video game plot and then be confused when the game's plot doesn't make sense (because he talked over it)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endorph posted:

hey guys wanna hear kung fu jesus talk over a video game plot and then be confused when the game's plot doesn't make sense (because he talked over it)

Well let's be fair the plot barely makes sense even without talking over it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well yeah but half the time Let's Players talking about how terrible games' plots are are taking issue with things that actually are explained, plainly, instead of the poo poo that actually doesn't make sense.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Well yeah but half the time Let's Players talking about how terrible games' plots are are taking issue with things that actually are explained, plainly, instead of the poo poo that actually doesn't make sense.

That or talking about how terribly anime they are and how much they hate JRPGs, which makes me question why they are even doing a Let's Play of a JRPG to begin with.

Not that I'm defending XIII-2 or anything but just, JRPGs in general seem to be treated like that on the LP forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be fair, every FF plot is the worst in the series.