Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

404GoonNotFound posted:

I actually kinda love how pro-science Francis is. Further proof that Jesuits are the only Christian sect I can really stomach.

Most of the mainline denominations are alright, if a little stodgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is it Climate Change week or something? This stuff isn't exactly news.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, are we seriously hosed? That's bad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

comes along bort posted:

Most of the mainline denominations are alright, if a little stodgy.
Episcopalians are chill, I volunteer at one of their churches quite a bit.

Also, we're all dead- and Rubio doesn't care that his own state will be underwater.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JohnSherman posted:

Is it Climate Change week or something? This stuff isn't exactly news.

NASA and the UN put out new reports the past couple weeks.

Y-Hat posted:

Episcopalians are chill, I volunteer at one of their churches quite a bit.

To be fair you kinda have to be when you believe Joe Piscopo is the messiah.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
"Violins Never Solves Anything"? :geno:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

"Violins Never Solves Anything"? :geno:
"S" and "D" are next to each other on the keyboard.

Also, what the gently caress patent office? How much money did Amazon bribe them with?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

The patent office just approves anything that gets in for the past... well at least twenty years? It's seriously broken.

Apple has a design patent on rectangles with rounded corners, approved recently.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Holy poo poo Kerri Russell is a terrible interview

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I saw five minutes of The Americans and thought it was terribly acted shlock. It's a shame that it's on FX the same night as Legit is on FXX.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Y-Hat posted:

I saw five minutes of The Americans and thought it was terribly acted shlock. It's a shame that it's on FX the same night as Legit is on FXX.

Americans is pretty good. But Legit was canceled tonight :(

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

What the hell was the idea behind FXX, didn't all the major original FX shows that got moved to it just flat out drop in vewiership afterwards?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Son of a bitch. Season 2 was a real step up. gently caress FXX.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

BigRed0427 posted:

What the hell was the idea behind FXX, didn't all the major original FX shows that got moved to it just flat out drop in vewiership afterwards?

They needed more hours in the day to re-air Iron Man 2.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Y-Hat posted:

Son of a bitch. Season 2 was a real step up. gently caress FXX.

The last 2 episodes aired tonight. They're probably replaying if you missed them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The last 2 episodes aired tonight. They're probably replaying if you missed them.
I'm watching it right now. :smith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Y-Hat posted:

Also, we're all dead- and Rubio doesn't care that his own state will be underwater.

Why does he need to worry? Jesus is going to come back any day now and rapture every good Republican to heaven.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Y-Hat posted:

He needs all the water he can get. I'm sure he's looking forward to it.
(this is both a joke about his intelligence and a joke about his awkwardness, you see)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Marco Rubio's awkward speech is still one of the best things ever.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Drifter posted:

He needs all the water he can get. I'm sure he's looking forward to it.

Unfortunately you can't drink seawater.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The thing with the ice sheets melting is that its basically become a point of no return thing. See, part of what the poles matter is that the ice they have actually reflects sunlight away (being sheer white and all). But, if they've melted into sea water, then that water is capable of absorbing and retaining the heat, which in turn raises temperatures and further enables more ice to melt, rather than the water re-solidifying. Antarctica then has the caveat that, as an actual landmass simply buried under ice, rather than a huge chunk of ice simply covering a continent sized area, the water runs off and thus can't be back in place to freeze over the same area again.

Long story short, we really should have been paying attention.

And of course, for all the politicians talking about oh they'll let the next generation deal with it, I am arguably in that generation, so I say: Screw them for leaving the mess to us.

Edit: Please tell me this gets on either show tonight. Seems perfect with the apparent environment theme.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 15, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Astro Nut posted:

The thing with the ice sheets melting is that its basically become a point of no return thing. See, part of what the poles matter is that the ice they have actually reflects sunlight away (being sheer white and all). But, if they've melted into sea water, then that water is capable of absorbing and retaining the heat, which in turn raises temperatures and further enables more ice to melt, rather than the water re-solidifying. Antarctica then has the caveat that, as an actual landmass simply buried under ice, rather than a huge chunk of ice simply covering a continent sized area, the water runs off and thus can't be back in place to freeze over the same area again.

Long story short, we really should have been paying attention.

Not paying attention has never been the problem. Corporations with deep enough pockets to convince the world that there's nothing we need to pay attention to is the problem.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think the easiest way to put Global Warming into perspective is to simply say it's been ten loving years since An Inconvenient Truth.

Of course things are much, much worse.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Echo Chamber posted:

I think the easiest way to put Global Warming into perspective is to simply say it's been ten loving years since An Inconvenient Truth.

Of course things are much, much worse.

If people just called the thing Climate Change like they should you'd have less dumb fuckers making that stupid joke about how it's snowing in Alabama so Global Warming can't be possible.:argh:

Just to say "poo poo's changing, yo, and it's because of us that it's happening so quickly and we're not equipped to handle it, so let's slow down and think this through." :argh:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I double-checked the year. Actually, the it's been eight years, not ten... but my point still stands.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

comes along bort posted:

Unfortunately you can't drink seawater.

You can, it's just not a very good idea. Much like voting republican, so it makes a lot of sense.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like to think an average republican would drink the seawater and then urinate in order to filter the salt out, and then drink that urine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The average republican would drink seawater if Obama tried to discourage it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

haveblue posted:

The average republican would drink seawater if Obama tried to discourage it.

I really want Obama to announce that he is against jumping off bridges.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I really want Obama to announce that he is against jumping off bridges.

Better yet, Michelle Obama.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Drifter posted:

If people just called the thing Climate Change like they should you'd have less dumb fuckers making that stupid joke about how it's snowing in Alabama so Global Warming can't be possible.:argh:

Just to say "poo poo's changing, yo, and it's because of us that it's happening so quickly and we're not equipped to handle it, so let's slow down and think this through." :argh:

Wasn't climate change a term invented by Republican spinster Frank Luntz to make global warming sound less severe though?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Strange Quark posted:

Wasn't climate change a term invented by Republican spinster Frank Luntz to make global warming sound less severe though?

Yes, but it's a better description of what the results are: not merely warming, but a complete destruction of temperate zones. Hence record lows and extended blizzards despite the overall yearly temperature being a record-breaking high 8 years out of 10.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jason does all of the fun stuff.

edit:That was loving amazing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What is a minority here?
You.

Brilliant.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

"what is a minority here?"
"you"
:allears:

Want to know how congressmen keep getting reelected and we have career politicians? It's 435 districts with the mentality of "my representative is great and it's all the other ones who are destroying and corrupting government!"

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 16, 2014

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
"What? No, I'm not busy."

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
What an impressive rear end in a top hat.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Welp, I guess I gotta take Aasif off the list of correspondents.

Also Rangel sounds like Moe from The Simpsons. I don't think he'll survive this time though.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Aww, Aasif is done? I feel like he should of got a send off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
I thought Aasif was just working on his a movie and would be back after it was done?

• Locked thread