Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Swink posted:

It has come! After an eon of searching, our people can finally find peace.

Clean up the WinSXS directory on Server2008R2:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfepl...new-update.aspx

(does the linked script not work for anyone else, despite definitely having the update installed?) :suicide:

Jesus, what kind of round-about poo poo is this? Install the desktop experience so you can run disk cleanup?

Why don't they just make Disk Cleanup part of the update?

What the hell does Ink and handwriting have to do with this? Now and again you see something that makes you realise how much of a fragile mess Windows is.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
More Microsoft pissingmeoffery.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Against the Goon Collective's better judgement I went ahead and spoke with the Robert Half minion. Strike One - he was ten minutes late to the Skype meeting he set up. Apparently there was an overturned car on the way to work and caused a minor traffic jam. Spoke with him about a position he has and apparently the incumbent left after 5 months and 1 week on a 6 months contract-to-hire to follow his wife to Alabama for her job. He's looking to fill the spot to fulfill the remaining 3 weeks of the contract, at which point he expects the company to extend an employment offer. Incumbent was making $52k. Okay, nothing too hinky so far - asked him to send me the job description, responsibilities, etc via email. Recruiter also wanted me to speak with the contract manager who was also more knowledgeable about the technical side of things, since anything beyond basic helldesk was beyond his CIS knowledge. Again, he suggests a time.

I go downstairs to our breakroom and wait 20 minutes for the contract manager to call at the appointed time. Nothing. Not even a courtesy email to tell me he wouldn't be able to make the call. That's strike two in my book. Strike three is failing to even send me the loving email like he promised he would. I checked the Spam folder on my email server and even looked at the spam blocker settings to make sure he wasn't blacklisted. Nope, not that lucky.

Fortunately all was not a waste. Former co-worker walked through and we had a couple minutes to talk. Apparently he was putting in his two weeks notice in at the job he started a couple weeks ago, which was only a couple month contract to cover for someone out on medical leave for cancer treatments who may or may not come back. Co-worker suggested I talk to our hiring manager and let him know I was interested and co-worker would put in a good word for me. New job would be a raise from $32k to $72k. Not bad, but what was even better news was former co-worker was taking a supervisor position overseeing the server team for a major government agency down in Cincinnati, and once he got settled and could make hiring decisions he'd love to have me come on board with him. Not everything I wanted to hear, but at least some good came out of it.

And as for the Robert Half recruiter, suddenly I'm too busy to be able to take his calls or get back with him. It's almost as if I was ignoring him...

The more likely scenario was that the robert half client was pissed that their worker left the contract before completion and now robert half wanted a warm body to stick in there for 3 weeks so they can continue to get paid. A 6 month contract to hire and someone else is suppose to come in those last 3 weeks and expect to get a full time gig out of it? Yeah right!

The current response was to laugh hysterically at the recruiter because he was attempting to insult your intelligence.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Jesus, what kind of round-about poo poo is this? Install the desktop experience so you can run disk cleanup?

Why don't they just make Disk Cleanup part of the update?

What the hell does Ink and handwriting have to do with this? Now and again you see something that makes you realise how much of a fragile mess Windows is.

WinSXS in general is poo poo. A bunch of the people where I work have small (~25gb) Windows virtual machines (on 128gb SSDs) and those HDs keep filling up with SXS poo poo. One I saw yesterday had 11 gb in there.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
poo poo that doesn't piss me off? PVS on fusionIO cards with a 10Gb backplane.

poo poo that does piss me off? Citrix.... Man I miss view.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

poo poo that doesn't piss me off? PVS on fusionIO cards with a 10Gb backplane.

poo poo that does piss me off? Citrix.... Man I miss view.

We're in the middle of a switch from Citrix WinXP to View Win7, and man is it sweet. Dynamic window resizing! No terrible farm management! Remote connections! Clipboard use!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Antioch posted:

We're in the middle of a switch from Citrix WinXP to View Win7, and man is it sweet. Dynamic window resizing! No terrible farm management! Remote connections! Clipboard use!

I love the wham bam thankyou ma'am of view. It's just so straight forward. Granted PCoIP tuning and app deliver is a bit of an eh... but in everything else view owns.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
WinSxS cleanup? Pssh. That's for chumps who are allowed to patch servers ever. :killmenow:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Sitting on a call while a paralegal picks apart a software agreement and a professional service agreement with a vendor. I could not do that for a living, I'd claw my eyes out.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 15, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I

tomapot posted:

Sitting on a call while a paralegal picks apart a software agreement and a professional service agreement with a vendor. I could not do that for a living, I'd claw my eyes out.

I used to hate this, until I went through a few cycles with a good legal team. They found risk areas that we hadn't caught, and saved everyone invoked a lot of potential heartache down the road.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Ynglaur posted:

I used to hate this, until I went through a few cycles with a good legal team. They found risk areas that we hadn't caught, and saved everyone invoked a lot of potential heartache down the road.

There's absolutely no reason a software developer or PM should be responsible for anything outside of contacting a lawyer to draft a EULA.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I hope you're being ironic. Lawyers rarely understand every subtlety of what a business is trying to accomplish.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

I hope you're being ironic. Lawyers rarely understand every subtlety of what a business is trying to accomplish.

I'm not being ironic in the least. Their understanding of your business's goals, as limited as it may be, greatly eclipses an engineering team's collective understanding of legal subtleties, the smallest of which can cause massive potential liability. Contact a lawyer, discuss the product to the lawyer's needs, review the EULA generated and ask them about it, but don't think you're qualified to write it.

edit: reread that. I still stand by needing a legal professional to at minimum read and dissect agreements being handed to you.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

J posted:

When you figure this out, I wouldn't mind hearing what caused it. I haven't yet worked with SQL 2012 but I've had SQL 2008 installs crap out on me like that with a really cryptic error message. Turns out the problem was installing another application beforehand that installed SQL Server Native Client as part of the package. For all the pre-install checks it does, SQL 2008 wouldn't catch this and would refuse to install until I removed the native client first.

Unfortunately, I think it was just a bad iso download despite having the correct file size listed on the volume licensing site. I would love it if Microsoft would add md5 hashes or something similar to it.

tomapot posted:

I run an enterprise level SharePoint service, all our SQL servers are physical boxes. All the rest of the servers can be VMs but we have never had good results with SharePoint SQL servers on VM.

Building out our SP2013 farm right now we're loading it up our cluster with 768 GB RAM, 20 Core 2.20 GHz E5-2680v2 (per node).

I should have mentioned that my SQL Server error and the Sharepoint frustrations are separate from each other. I'm rebuilding our SCCM machine to System Center 2012 which is where SQL Server is coming in. Sharepoint is only coming in to the mix because I noticed we were lacking a groupware system and wanted to do something with Project.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'm not being ironic in the least. Their understanding of your business's goals, as limited as it may be, greatly eclipses an engineering team's collective understanding of legal subtleties, the smallest of which can cause massive potential liability. Contact a lawyer, discuss the product to the lawyer's needs, review the EULA generated and ask them about it, but don't think you're qualified to write it.

edit: reread that. I still stand by needing a legal professional to at minimum read and dissect agreements being handed to you.

I think we're actually agreeing with each other. My point was that you need both "the business" (I hate that term, but it works) and a good legal team to properly craft a good EULA, MSA, SOW, etc.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Ynglaur posted:

I think we're actually agreeing with each other. My point was that you need both "the business" (I hate that term, but it works) and a good legal team to properly craft a good EULA, MSA, SOW, etc.

True, we have a legal team just for IT. They may not know everything but they've seen enough of these that they can ask the right questions.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

"the business"

Ugh. Quite often I've been given a spec to implement that was incomplete, and when I've asked the person who assigned it to me who I should talk to to flesh out the missing details they've said "talk to the business". gently caress off, I'm not a mind reader, I can't tell you mean Pamela from accounting unless you tell me.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

I think we're actually agreeing with each other.

Yes.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

On the flip side, I am not a lawyer, I'm a software developer. Reading through legal agreements is as much my department as plumbing, and lets not even get started on writing them.

If you lawyers can't understand what your business is tasking them to do, you have lovely lawyers, get new ones.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I took a vacation day yesterday "because i'm hungover since my sendoff party and i need to pack anyway, see y'all friday". Sent from my phone, at 9:30am. No questions asked.

Edit: might as well give full context: :yotj:, but not really. I'm moving to Mexico City tomorrow for a 6 month stint on an internal temporary transfer to work on our Mexican website. It runs on the same platform that my sites run on here, and i've worked with it for over 6 years. Instead of being a sysadmin I'll be writing code (again) for a change.

What's pissing me off is that today is the first day in 3 weeks the weather in Stockholm is non-lovely. It makes me sad that I'll miss the only reason living in this town is bearable - May-September kicks rear end and i'll return in November which is the shittiest time of the year.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 16, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo not pissing me off because i'm lazy but probably should:

My managers boss has told the admin team i'm not allowed to go on any installs anymore, meaning I don't have to work on weekends! I'm fairly sure however, that this is because i'm growing a beard, as the only other person he's said that can't go on installs also has a beard. Yesterday my manager also mentioned that he was surprised that he hadn't mentioned the beards to us.

Result? Beards stop unwanted overtime :smug:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
How is morale on the set of season 2 of Mad Men any way?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm actually having a blast, you sort of just laugh at how ridiculous everything is and i've managed to get myself into a spot where the first line team keeps asking for my help, but if its out of my knowledge I can raise to second line. Second line likes me enough to show me what I don't know.

I'll also have another raise coming through in about 2 months, i'm planning on getting my own car just after that. Once that's done its a case of finding a decent job, right now i'm stuck to ones near train stations. I'm not in an amazing rush, as i'm also working on certs and the workplace has decided to mostly just let me get on and work.

There are the odd couple of annoyances, but that's more on the "Really? You still don't trust me to do that" and the "Why the hell is the manager questioning why i'm not at my desk when he wrote up the lunch schedule" (Yes, there's a lunch schedule, its stupid).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Caconym posted:

Welcome to hell. Slow, stupid stupid bugs and a horrible UI.

We're on SM 9.0 and the "history" section of incidents, changes, problems, what have you is a textbox 3 lines high with a scrollbar. Because gently caress you I guess.
It's a loving web UI, there is zero reason to not expand that poo poo dynamically to fit all the text. The section itself is even collapsible if you for some wierd reason don't want to read the history of that thing you just got assigned.

"Conserving screen real estate" by making important information hard to find on a drat scrolling web page. Assholes. :argh:

And the stupid bug part. If you have your work list configured to show "My groups issues, order by asignee" like a sane person, and resolve an incindent or close a problem or task, you're redirected back to the work list. It also removes the row representing the thing you just closed. So far so good, but it doesn't update the array behind the UI, so the bottom thing in your list is now actually not assigned to you, it's the top issue assigned to the person below you. And the only way to find out is to open it and check the assignee field.

No budget left for "customization" from the highly paid HP consultants of course. So everybody just hits F2 to open the history in a separate text only window, and reflexively hit refresh every time they find themselves back at the work list.

So yeah, there are workarounds, but the mistakes are annoying, basic, amateurish and so easy to fix.

We're using 2012 version 7.1.something. I don't know that I've had as many of the annoying UI problems your running into. But we also took some time getting it up and customizing the views, which was a pain in the rear end. There's just so much that can be tweaked and changed that it can be a bit overwhelming. Have you integrated orchestrater into it at all? That is one thing I want to get up and running soon.

poo poo pissing me off. Users complaining about Lync meetings again. They just don't get how to use it and everyone wants to go back to WebEx. Cue huge departmental meetings where the mouth breathers in marketing and sales are demanding we switch back. Never mind that they bitched relentlessly about WebEx too.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
If the director says working from home today is fine, your reply to the email I sent saying working from home is fine, and my status is "working from home".

Why would you call me at 830am and ask me where I am?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

If the director says working from home today is fine, your reply to the email I sent saying working from home is fine, and my status is "working from home".

"while you have the freedom to work from home, it's expected that you show restraint and come in to the office all days"

(I've seen logic like that applied before)

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

I would assume that they know you're home, but they want greater detail. So you could say "still in bed" or "cooking breakfast" or possibly "on the back deck enjoying a wake-and-bake."

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

dorkanoid posted:

"while you have the freedom to work from home, it's expected that you show restraint and come in to the office all days"

I don't have any problem coming in, but....

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Today's weird CIO pet project: Let's use Sonos devices to play music all around the office! He sent the project to my boss who immediately decided that I'm the perfect fit for it, possibly because I am being punished for some sins I committed in a prior life.

I could be improving our network infrastructure or making sure all our SIP phones are up to date, but no.

No.

Today I'm trying to make an overpriced home music system work behind a corporate firewall.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What sort of broken corp logic thinks it's a good idea to pipe music throughout the office? Isn't that why people go postal?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
The decision to go to a locked down Maven artifact system. Can only use projects and versions from the approved list. No we can't white list by license because the libraries have dependencies that change.

Why the gently caress are we using Maven and Artifactory then? All I keep getting pushed is to use propriety vendor X's item for which I can't even find documentation. Yes I love wasting time on conference call with engineers from their team that eats up a day rather then looking up the open source solution on stack exchange and fixing it in an hour.

I'm ready to just say lets ditch Java and go .Net. At least I expect to pay out the rear end in that world. Maybe I can have a still currently supported VM version also.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dogstile posted:

Result? Beards stop unwanted overtime :smug:

Can I call the indirect discrimination card here? :j:

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Pissing me off this week?

Having to use polling for communication with the application manger I'm writing instead of SignalR real time two way communication because management thinks that Server 2012 can only run in load balancing mode. We can't use load balancing mode because it would violate our licencing with one of our vendors.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dorkanoid posted:

You see, Brian over there has 37 pieces of flair. If you only want to do the bare minimum, that's 15. But Brian has 37. Okay?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Che Delilas posted:

You see, Brian over there has 37 pieces of flair. If you only want to do the bare minimum, that's 15. But Brian has 37. Okay?

Why don't you just make 37 the minimum?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
For the last time adding more vCPU's to your VM will not make it faster... No I am not going to deploy virtual desktops with 2 cores, do you want the environment to come to a grinding halt? loving vendors are the thorn in my side this week.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

I don't have any problem coming in, but....

I thought I would be fine driving to work this morning, but the freaking beltway itself was flooded. So I turned around and went home.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

swampcow posted:

I thought I would be fine driving to work this morning, but the freaking beltway itself was flooded. So I turned around and went home.

Did it look like a swamp?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Lum posted:

Can I call the indirect discrimination card here? :j:

Nothing is stopping you from growing a beard if you want. They can inject these hormones, and ... :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Fortis posted:

Today's weird CIO pet project: Let's use Sonos devices to play music all around the office! He sent the project to my boss who immediately decided that I'm the perfect fit for it, possibly because I am being punished for some sins I committed in a prior life.

I could be improving our network infrastructure or making sure all our SIP phones are up to date, but no.

No.

Today I'm trying to make an overpriced home music system work behind a corporate firewall.

If you're in the US hope he's paid off ASCAP for the license.