Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

fookolt posted:

The only problem is that once you've finished them, it's one hell of a thing to find another series that gives you the same feeling like the Culture provides.

I've found Neal Asher's Polity series to be a worth successor. It's not quite as highbrow or intelligent, and it's written a lot earlier in the timeline, so to speak, but it feels to me almost like a prequel to the Culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

The only ones I really know of other than the ones you mentioned where there are main characters that are gay and neither have that aspect of them be almost entirely ignored, or devolve into smut or sexual philosophy is The Last Rune series by Mark Anthony, which is a bit of an old school style fantasy, but is actually a pretty good one. The main character doesn't even really realize he's gay, it's sort of a gradual growth of a friendship between him and another one of the main characters that turns into a real relationship without ever having angsty overdramatic relationship drama. The other one is Lyn Flewelling's Nightrunner series where the two main characters are a gay couple who work as sort of spies/thieves for hire.

I kinda wish there was more characters like that honestly - just ordinary good fantasy books where the point of view character happens to be gay and isn't afraid to have him have a relationship with another person (without turning into a romance novel - I mean this happens with straight leads all the time, so). I mean occasionally you get a side character or two, but almost never a point of view character.

The latest series by Robin Hobb, Rain Wild Chronicles, features a pretty decent homosexual relationship without making it over the top. Hobb is always worth reading and I liked the latest series.

thespaceinvader posted:

I've found Neal Asher's Polity series to be a worth successor. It's not quite as highbrow or intelligent, and it's written a lot earlier in the timeline, so to speak, but it feels to me almost like a prequel to the Culture.

I like Asher more than Banks, since Asher has better action, faster pace, better characters (Sniper) and great alien ecosystems.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

JTDistortion posted:

Can you recommend any other authors like this? I've been having a rather annoying problem with my local library system. Everything that it considers 'gay fiction' tends to be either poorly written smut or serious novels that try to get deep into the issues of gender and sexuality. Unfortunately, I do most of my reading on lunch break at work. I'm just looking for something light to relax with for a bit, but I would prefer any romantic subplots to be something that I can actually relate to. That sort of stuff certainly does exist, but if I want to get it at the library I have to either know what I'm looking for ahead of time or stumble across it through blind luck.

To give a few examples, I've enjoyed The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan, the Warriors of Estavia series by Fiona Patton, the Elemental Logic series by Laurie J. Marks, and the Smoke and Shadows series by Tanya Huff. Of those, The Steel Remains and its sequel were probably my favorite. It's rather refreshing to see the standard 'hyper-aggressive badass warrior' role filled by a gay guy.

I did a bit of poking around and Elizabeth A Lynn came up, I do remember The Sardonyx Net as being well written and interesting, although that one doesn't have a gay character per se. I think you would really like Scott's Point of Hopes, and I just discovered Wikipedia has a list although some of the inclusions make me roll my eyes because having a "gay" character does not a "gay" novel make... The later Liaden books (Sharon Lee and Steve Miller) have some same-sex couples, although I would call it more "LGBT lives in our universe" rather than "gay-positive". It's accepted as perfectly normal at least.

I honestly can't name anybody else off the top of my head, as I am a pretty eclectic reader and am only interested in a decent story and don't really care much about who sleeps with who, unless it's germane to the plot. Books like Lauren Hamilton's drive me up a wall in fact, because I really don't care who wants to gently caress Anita Blake or (insert character here), and you take out those parts and there's very little left.

Edit: Never make a post before finishing the first cup of coffee of the day

Zola fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 11, 2014

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

There's Ellen Kushner's Swordspoint, which I didn't really warm to but I did think the main character's relationship (with another man) was pretty well written. JTDistortion warning: it's not really light reading though.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Wolpertinger posted:

I kinda wish there was more characters like that honestly - just ordinary good fantasy books where the point of view character happens to be gay and isn't afraid to have him have a relationship with another person (without turning into a romance novel - I mean this happens with straight leads all the time, so). I mean occasionally you get a side character or two, but almost never a point of view character.

Yeah, it's probably harder to find an ordinary fantasy book where the straight lead does not have some sort of relationship than one where they do. I wonder if this sort of thing will undergo a generational change in the upcoming years. When you take the generation that is hugely supportive of gay marriage and much more likely to know/be friends with actual out gay people and compare them to previous generations of authors, I would expect a surge in both the number of gay characters and the willingness to write their relationships into the plot. It also seems likely that this sort of shift would lag behind things like political shifts. After all, it takes a lot of time and hard work to become a good author, get published, etc. Maybe in the next 5-10 years?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Ellen Kushner has been writing elegant, complex, brutal intrigue stories that just happen to be full of bisexual characters for decades now. She is super awesome. Cat Valente's Palimpsest, one of those rare SF/F books that is both wholly about sex and not incredibly goony and creepy, is enormously queer-friendly (and also thoroughly gorgeous, it has some absolutely incendiary prose - it's about a sexually transmitted city, rendered in prose poetry so dense it'll leave you feeling physically sated).

The Steel Remains is quite cool; I'm a sucker for the hints of science fiction drifting around the fantasy backdrop, and for Morgan's brand of lurid brutality. I thought both of the protagonists were pretty compelling.

I've got a debut novel with a queer protagonist coming out Fall 2015. Hopefully it'll have lots of company :toot:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 11, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zola posted:

Agreed. And I will also point out that the first book came out in 1982. Things that might seem like tropes NOW were actually original then.

The cat, I might add, is a hunting cat and pet she has a bond with rather than magical happy treecat that makes her so much more preciouses.... It's not her perky sidekick who makes witty observations or anything.
Well for what it's worth, I picked up the first couple books on kindle and am surprised by how well-written they are. I forgot a LOT about the series although it's coming back now. Tai-Tastigon is a really cool and well-written city which I forgot about almost entirely, and I'm looking forward to going through the books again and seeing what else Hodgell's written since. :unsmith:

It also seems pretty certain to me in retrospect, that Jorin is probably a Bengal cat, too, between the chirping and his breed being a "Royal Gold". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4R56kawPg

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 11, 2014

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

coyo7e posted:

Well for what it's worth, I picked up the first couple books on kindle and am surprised by how well-written they are. I forgot a LOT about the series although it's coming back now. Tai-Tastigon is a really cool and well-written city which I forgot about almost entirely, and I'm looking forward to going through the books again and seeing what else Hodgell's written since. :unsmith:

It also seems pretty certain to me in retrospect, that Jorin is probably a Bengal cat, too, between the chirping and his breed being a "Royal Gold". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4R56kawPg

On her Live Journal site (I can't find the entry right now), she had visited a sanctuary and has a picture of her with a hunting ounce that she said was like Jorin

There is also a stab at a Kencyr Wiki

She also said that there is going to be a Kothir short story up on the Baen Books Website as of the 15th of May

Nurk Lurks In Doorways

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

General Battuta posted:

Cat Valente's Palimpsest, one of those rare SF/F books that is both wholly about sex and not incredibly goony and creepy
Now I'll have to read it, because I'll believe a statement like that the moment I see it and no earlier.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zola posted:

On her Live Journal site (I can't find the entry right now), she had visited a sanctuary and has a picture of her with a hunting ounce that she said was like Jorin

There is also a stab at a Kencyr Wiki

She also said that there is going to be a Kothir short story up on the Baen Books Website as of the 15th of May
Ooh, is that a Serval? They're cool (despite their weirdly small heads). I could never be a catlady though - I'm too allergic. :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

coyo7e posted:

They're also about cat-people and the protagonist has a magical giant housecat that's also blind so ymmv depending on how knee-jerk you are about goony/anime cliches (although the series was written a long time before either were a thing.)

I think anything written before the 90's, i.e., pre-internet, gets a pass on that kind of thing. We can't let the furries ruin every story with an anthropomorphized animal in it.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I've got a debut novel with a queer protagonist coming out Fall 2015. Hopefully it'll have lots of company :toot:

Congratulations! What publisher?

Cardiovorax posted:

Now I'll have to read it, because I'll believe a statement like that the moment I see it and no earlier.

Believe it. Palimpsest is Valente's masterwork.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Zola posted:

I did a bit of poking around and Elizabeth A Lynn came up, I do remember The Sardonyx Net as being well written and interesting, although that one doesn't have a gay character per se. I think you would really like Scott's Point of Hopes, and I just discovered Wikipedia has a list although some of the inclusions make me roll my eyes because having a "gay" character does not a "gay" novel make... The later Liaden books (Sharon Lee and Steve Miller) have some same-sex couples, although I would call it more "LGBT lives in our universe" rather than "gay-positive". It's accepted as perfectly normal at least.

I honestly can't name anybody else off the top of my head, as I am a pretty eclectic reader and am only interested in a decent story and don't really care much about who sleeps with who, unless it's germane to the plot. Books like Lauren Hamilton's drive me up a wall in fact, because I really don't care who wants to gently caress Anita Blake or (insert character here), and you take out those parts and there's very little left.

Edit: Never make a post before finishing the first cup of coffee of the day

I'm mostly the same about who sleeps with who, but as a gay dude it's just that since the main character will at have a relationship of some sort with someone in like 90% of books anyway, it'd be nice if it wasn't straight every single time, y'know? It's always a bit :3: on the few occasions I actually see a happy gay couple in a novel. (The tortured angsty dramatic gay guy who's only gay because it makes him easier to torture doesn't count - I'm looking at you, Mercedes Lackey)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda surprised cause I was reading a few books this month and it seemed like every book I opened had a gay character in there.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think anything written before the 90's, i.e., pre-internet, gets a pass on that kind of thing. We can't let the furries ruin every story with an anthropomorphized animal in it.
Hey, at least nobody was flying around in a thunderstorm and shooting kamehahamaha beams at each other! ;)

And it is engaging and well-written, despite the few sort-of obvious setups such as Marc. I'd forgotten about the scene in the beginning of the second novel when Tori goes snipe-hunting and ends up with the soul of a little girl, attached to her lost bones, who keeps popping up as a shadow whenever she's been left ignored, sitting in a corner again and I was surprised that it didn't feel heavy-handed throughout.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

specklebang posted:

I've finished reading all the books in Susan Matthews' Jurisdiction series and I can't figure out why I got so absorbed in these. Has anyone else read these and what was your take?

If you haven't, the books follow a professional State sanctioned torturer (who is a MD - a job requirement) and his odd relationship with his thralled Security Team.

Thanks for the heads up, they're $5 for the kindle, have just bought the first.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was kinda surprised cause I was reading a few books this month and it seemed like every book I opened had a gay character in there.
There are a lot of contemporary novels that feature gay characters, but the vast majority of them doesn't really treat them as more than a token bit character. Even with gay main characters it's rare to find one who's well-written enough to behave and think of himself like we do. Caricatures, plenty, flattering ones even, but not much that makes you feel you recognize yourself in that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The new neolithic murder mystery fantasy-ish book Talus and the Frozen King by Graham Edwards has a positive portrayal of a gay side character but he ends up being one of the murder victims so uh

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A positive portrayal isn't a realistic portrayal, is what I mean. There are a lot of positive portrayals of gay people in modern fiction, but a lot of them aren't written by gay people or even people who know much about gay people. Women will probably understand what I mean.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Cardiovorax posted:

A positive portrayal isn't a realistic portrayal, is what I mean. There are a lot of positive portrayals of gay people in modern fiction, but a lot of them aren't written by gay people or even people who know much about gay people. Women will probably understand what I mean.

If you're talking in the sense that there are entirely too many female heroines who are simply men with boobs, then yes, I hear you. I hear you.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

The new neolithic murder mystery fantasy-ish book Talus and the Frozen King by Graham Edwards has a positive portrayal of a gay side character but he ends up being one of the murder victims so uh

Well, to be fair most everyone in that book who has a name and a plot device gets murderfied.

Regarding finding gays all up in my books, I was just kinda shocked cause I have gone most of my life not reading about gay people (not really as a choice, just never seem to read a book where a character is gay or it's so subtle I missed it), and then BOOM 3 in a row. Times are a changin'.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cardiovorax posted:

The best fictional portrayal I've ever read of a gay romantic relationship was in Mary Renault's The Last of the Wine, which isn't fantasy or SF but a historical novel set in classical Greece during the era of the Pelopponesian War. Renault was also a lesbian and a classicist. Especially for something written in the 1970's it's an amazing book -- they're just two young men who fall in love in a society where that's normal. It must have been a revolutionary work when it came out.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 12, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
What about The Iron Council?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm looking for some help in finding a series of books I read when I was in highschool - they were not good books but I was on a big scifi binge at the time and recently I've remembered enough to make me curious.

Unfortunately I don't remember much about them other than that (they were bad) one of the main characters was a sort of assassin that was able to take on the physical shape of other people it had killed and absorbed - I believe it was some sort of T-1000ish type thing, named maybe Vulture?

I believe there was some sort of like, torture moon? called Melchior, but neither Vulture or Melchior is helpful in coming up with anything. Like I'm sure there was a scrappy crew of people fighting against some greater evil, but that's not narrowing things down. Anyway, it sounds familiar to anyone I'd be glad to kknow, it's a bit like an ear-worm.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

angerbot posted:

I'm looking for some help in finding a series of books I read when I was in highschool - they were not good books but I was on a big scifi binge at the time and recently I've remembered enough to make me curious.

Unfortunately I don't remember much about them other than that (they were bad) one of the main characters was a sort of assassin that was able to take on the physical shape of other people it had killed and absorbed - I believe it was some sort of T-1000ish type thing, named maybe Vulture?

I believe there was some sort of like, torture moon? called Melchior, but neither Vulture or Melchior is helpful in coming up with anything. Like I'm sure there was a scrappy crew of people fighting against some greater evil, but that's not narrowing things down. Anyway, it sounds familiar to anyone I'd be glad to kknow, it's a bit like an ear-worm.

Usually these kinds of questions are best posted to The identify that story/book thread.

That being said, I suspect you are thinking of Jack Chalker's The Rings of the Master series, which has both the assassin and the base on the moon Melchior

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yes, that's it exactly, thanks. Sorry for being in the wrong thread!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

angerbot posted:

I believe there was some sort of like, torture moon? called Melchior, but neither Vulture or Melchior is helpful in coming up with anything.

Melchior's Fire.
http://www.amazon.com/Melchiors-Fire-JACK-CHALKER/dp/0671319914

e;f,b, and in the wrong thread, too! (double beaten because I had a series with Melchior but not with Vulture the assassin).

ulmont fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 12, 2014

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

General Battuta posted:

Ellen Kushner has been writing elegant, complex, brutal intrigue stories that just happen to be full of bisexual characters for decades now. She is super awesome. Cat Valente's Palimpsest, one of those rare SF/F books that is both wholly about sex and not incredibly goony and creepy, is enormously queer-friendly (and also thoroughly gorgeous, it has some absolutely incendiary prose - it's about a sexually transmitted city, rendered in prose poetry so dense it'll leave you feeling physically sated).

The Steel Remains is quite cool; I'm a sucker for the hints of science fiction drifting around the fantasy backdrop, and for Morgan's brand of lurid brutality. I thought both of the protagonists were pretty compelling.

Ellen Kushner's Privilege of the Sword is a really nice read. Tight little fantasy book with good characters, some of whom happen to be gay.

I wasn't left with the feeling I had read something didactic and politically motivated, which is an issue that often dampens my enjoyment of books with LGBT characters. Either they're a punch line or so obviously chosen by the author as a rejection to classically Hetero male dominated SF.

But Kushner gets it right, and I highly recommend that book.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I ran out of books by Stanislaw Lem. Then I ran out of books by PKD.

...so who do I read now? :ohdear:

Seriously, I've got all summer and I love those two to death, any recommendations?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Seriously, I've got all summer and I love those two to death, any recommendations?

Roadside Picnic? A lot of Strugatsky books are probably something you'd enjoy, but I'm not sure if you can find them.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Jack Chalker, maybe?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ballard?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I just finished The Emperor's Blades(Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne #1)by Brian Stavely. It was really fun, pretty drat good for a first novel, and I'll definitely read the next installment.

But.... after reading this, and Blood Song, and Rothfuss, and the three Locke Lamora books, and the Broken Empire books ... I think I'm done with 'kid goes to magic warrior thief school and makes friends but a rich kid hates him but he gets awesome and wins everythings' for quite a while.

I thoroughly enjoyed all those books, some more than others, but seriously, I miss the days when people were just good at poo poo and you accepted it. Aragorn and Legolas were just badasses. You didn't need two books telling the story of how Legolas went to elf school and learned to do elf stuff but since he was from the wrong side of the elf tracks the elf teachers and rich elf kids were always elf discriminating against him but his innate elf talents shone through (and then he randomly had an elf crush on elf Evangeline Lily, but I digress).

So, with that in mind, shoot some random recommendations, totally different to the above so I can clear my brain before Half A King/The Tower Lord/The Slow Regard of Silent Things/The Thorn of Emberlain/Prince of Fools drag me back in like the sucker I am.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

NinjaDebugger posted:

Jack Chalker, maybe?

you have to be careful with Chalker because of the whole transformation / mind control fetish thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BrosephofArimathea posted:

So, with that in mind, shoot some random recommendations, totally different to the above so I can clear my brain before Half A King/The Tower Lord/The Slow Regard of Silent Things/The Thorn of Emberlain/Prince of Fools drag me back in like the sucker I am.

Isle of the Dead by Roger Zelazny.

It's a science fiction novel about a thousand-year-old man, one of the wealthiest men in the galaxy. The protagonist has to come to terms with what may or may not be his ultimate limitations: death, his past, and the possibility of his own godhood.

It's a magnificent book, a magnificently adult book, and the absolute opposite of the standard fantasy bildungsroman. It's not at all about growing up and succeeding; it's about a grown and successful man coming to terms with his limitations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

fritz posted:

you have to be careful with Chalker because of the whole transformation / mind control fetish thing.

On a scale of Freaky Friday to I Will Fear No Evil, how bad is he?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

High Warlord Zog posted:

On a scale of Freaky Friday to I Will Fear No Evil, how bad is he?

Oh no, Chalker was in a league of his own.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

BrosephofArimathea posted:

I just finished The Emperor's Blades(Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne #1)by Brian Stavely. It was really fun, pretty drat good for a first novel, and I'll definitely read the next installment.

I decided to try this. It's pretty good, but it has some parts that are hard for me to get past. The fact that the female lead doesn't get half the attention of the two male leads has already been a well-documented complaint. The fact that one character motivation has a pretty lazy "woman gets fridged" arc is also an issue. But for me, the biggest grievance is that they introduce the main thrust of the plot within the first two pages and only get around to addressing it within the last quarter of the book.

"The Emperor is dead." "Wow, that's kind of a big deal. I should go warn my brother or do some duties or something?" "Yeah, but that can wait until we finish your Ninja School Training."

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not to read The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron? The reviews seem vastly mixed. I loved the Red Knight but what I loved was the fast pace of it, and I hear The Fell Sword is very slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not to read The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron? The reviews seem vastly mixed. I loved the Red Knight but what I loved was the fast pace of it, and I hear The Fell Sword is very slow.

I liked it almost as much as the first one. I didn't find it slow, but it did introduce new characters and places and the action was more spread out amongst different locations than it was in the first one, so I can see how some people might have a harder time getting into it as fast as the first one. It's definitely less self contained, so if you don't feel like getting caught up in a series and having to wait for the sequel, then I'd just wait on reading it.