Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

But the men didn't even do anything either. Except show up and die.

From parts of the book I chalked it up to being an Old Testament comparision, where God is just a dick because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, I love the Wastelands. Shardik, Blaine, the Tick-Tock Man ranting about Not-Sees, and the God Drums, man. Lud is a totally crazy place and the closest King comes to replicating that feel of utter surreality was Calla Cryn Sturgis, which was way less subtle about it.

I think The Wastelands is definitely the best Dark Tower book.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I think The Wastelands is definitely the best Dark Tower book.

And based on that I've never anticipated a sequel as much as Wizard and Glass. Good book, but it could never have lived up to my expectations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You know, I was convinced up until just now that the blind girl in the Langoliers was played by Sabrina Lloyd, but apparently not. I had totally forgotten Dean Stockwell was in it, but I remembered David Morse and Balki.

Wow. Apparently she grew up :stare:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2433145344/nm0531069?ref_=nm_ov_ph

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Maximum Overdrive is streamable on Netflix now. Thought you guys would want to know. Firestarter isn't but FIrestarter: Rekindled is.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Sylink posted:

But what does it matter when the hand of deus ex machina comes down and kills some innocent bros for no reason. And it was ultimately no reason because no one survived the event to be able to tell anyone what actually happpened. I think that is the worst part. No one really knows what happened, and if they did it would have an obvious effect on the survivors going forward with their lives.

Well.. yes... that's the point..

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

syscall girl posted:

And based on that I've never anticipated a sequel as much as Wizard and Glass. Good book, but it could never have lived up to my expectations.

I read all 7 books in order over the course of a couple of weeks. I had about 15 minutes after finishing The Wastelands before I started Wizard and Glass. I had very high expectations based on the first 3 books. Good book, but it never rose to anything in the first 3. Nor did the series ever recover those heights of glory.

I had never seen King end a series the same way he ends most of his books, that slow glacial, fall-apart of all the early potential.

Aquarium Gravel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 12, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aquarium Gravel posted:

I rad all 7 books in order over the course of a couple of weeks. I had about 15 minutes after finishing The Wastelands before I started Wizard and Glass. I had very high expectations based on the first 3 books. Good book, but it never rose to anything in the first 3. Nor did the series ever recover those heights of glory.

I had never seen King end a series the same way he ends most of his books, that slow glacial, fall-apart of all the early potential.

Imagine waiting on Blaine's riddle for six years.

It's why I sympathize with grumpy GRRM fans even though I am a latecomer to the game of dragons.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The gently caress is this? I look slightly older/better than I did 18 years ago, but fucks sake.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The gently caress is this? I look slightly older/better than I did 18 years ago, but fucks sake.

If it wasn't for the name, I would not have recognised her. I guess some win the genetic lottery.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

syscall girl posted:

Imagine waiting on Blaine's riddle for six years.

It's why I sympathize with grumpy GRRM fans even though I am a latecomer to the game of dragons.

Those fuckers get no sympathy from me until the GRRM skates death.

Although I like Wizard and Glass better (I think it's better written than all the others) I feel The Waste Lands is the most Dark Tower of the Dark Tower books. When I think upon what the series is and the themes it touches on, they're all in the Waste Lands.

1, 4, 5 are westerns, 2, 6 are urban fantasies, and 7 is a bit of blend. But 3 is solidly the World that Was.

3 is the most like living in Fallout.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just got in from work. Gonna make some tooterfish popkins so these astin don't upset my stomach. Anyone want one? All I have to serve them on are my auntie's special blue plates, though. Please refrain from breaking them in the parking lot at night while fingering yourselves. :argh:

April
Jul 3, 2006

So has anyone been able to log into the site from the Mr. Mercedes video?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sylink posted:

Fran didn't bother me. But a lot of time was spent building Nadine to be this mythical demon mother, then she just says gently caress it (as if she couldn't have done this earlier when it would have had better results for everyone involved).

It just didn't seem consistent with her character. But what does it matter when the hand of deus ex machina comes down and kills some innocent bros for no reason. And it was ultimately no reason because no one survived the event to be able to tell anyone what actually happpened. I think that is the worst part. No one really knows what happened, and if they did it would have an obvious effect on the survivors going forward with their lives.

In the end, I think Stu is the only one who comes out of everything still being a true believer. Everyone else goes back to the 'old ways' which is somewhat indicated by the ending chapters.

The Stand is far from being my favorite King book, but I am always amazed at how many people completely misunderstand the ending. I've seen it again and again where people think that it was the literal hand of god, out of nowhere, that detonated the bomb. It wasn't the hand of god (Larry just thought it looked like it), and it wasn't a deus ex machina, it was the energy ball that Flagg had created earlier, himself. Because the point there is pretty clearly that the evil destroyed itself. You had highly powerful, highly equipped, highly competent people on the Vegas side and they lost. Not because the "hand of God" was necessary, but because they did themselves in. The guys who love destruction end up destroying themselves. So Trashcanman destroyed the airforce and brought the bomb in, Henreid assembles everybody for the public execution, Horgan gets Flagg worked up enough to fling the energy ball, Flagg himself kills Nadine (the "unbroken vessel") and then flings the energy ball that eventually leads to the destruction of the Vegas zone.

The book is pretty much about the all powerful, vengeful religious leader that demands submission and tribute (Flagg) versus the new testament sort of religious view, and how the former inevitably destroys itself (like King says in the Slate interview on 30 years of the Stand:"Basically what Christ preached: get along with your neighbor and give everything away and follow me.") It wasn't an accident that the most significant thing Mother Abigail did after getting people together was disappearing.

The ending is a bit rushed, which is why it is not among my favorite King books, but it is still amazing how many people misunderstand the ending thinking that it was literally the hand of god there.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I just read The Long Walk for the first time tonight, and I realize the end is probably supposed to be slightly ambiguous, but has King ever come out with what happened there?

spoiler for a 35 year old book
I'm assuming Garrety just snapped and was hallucinating the figure at the end. He wasn't really seeing what was in front of him which is why he kept walking/running. I didn't really get the sense that the government was going to kill him there.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

juliuspringle posted:

Maximum Overdrive is streamable on Netflix now

Finally the wife will understand why I cannot visit an ATM without shouting "HONEY? COME ON OVER HERE SUGARBUNS"

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Finally the wife will understand why I cannot visit an ATM without shouting "HONEY? COME ON OVER HERE SUGARBUNS"

This machine just called me an rear end in a top hat!!!

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Devo posted:

I just read The Long Walk for the first time tonight, and I realize the end is probably supposed to be slightly ambiguous, but has King ever come out with what happened there?

I'm assuming Garrety just snapped and was hallucinating the figure at the end. He wasn't really seeing what was in front of him which is why he kept walking/running. I didn't really get the sense that the government was going to kill him there.

I definitely think he lived and probably eventually recovered

Look, the age of a book doesn't matter. There are literally new readers every single day. I'm not saying every piece of info should be spoilered, but plot points and climaxes certainly.

I love how much the long walk and running man predicted 21st century competition tv.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Devo posted:

This is pretty much my reading. Whether he recovers or not, well, personally my interpretation tends to change based on how cynical I'm feeling when I think about it.

I know some people complain about how ambiguous the ending is, but I thought it was perfect.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
What's all this business about other non-Dark Tower books setting up The Dark Tower? This is the first I've heard of it and I'm slightly too afraid to look into it for fear of spoilers. (I'm only up to the second part of The Gunslinger at the moment - still no idea what is happening.)

Also genuinely surprised by all the acclaim for The Stand (including from King himself in the foreword of The Gunslinger), considering I'm not entirely sure I'd even heard of it before. I should probably add it to my To Read list, huh?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

rypakal posted:

I definitely think he lived and probably eventually recovered

Look, the age of a book doesn't matter. There are literally new readers every single day. I'm not saying every piece of info should be spoilered, but plot points and climaxes certainly.

I love how much the long walk and running man predicted 21st century competition tv.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This is pretty much my reading. Whether he recovers or not, well, personally my interpretation tends to change based on how cynical I'm feeling when I think about it.

I know some people complain about how ambiguous the ending is, but I thought it was perfect.

Mainly I just wish I had read this story sooner; it was really good! My mom has had an old beat up paperback copy of the Bachman books (the 1985 version) sitting around on the bookshelf for as long as I can remember. But for some reason I never read that one. The only Bachman I read as a teenager was Thinner and then much later The Regulators.

Also on the subject of King books I haven't read that were sitting around forever: is The Tommyknockers worth picking up and reading now that I'm a grown up type person? To this day that is the only King book I started and never finished. Didn't come close really. It bored the poo poo out of 14 year old me.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VagueRant posted:

What's all this business about other non-Dark Tower books setting up The Dark Tower? This is the first I've heard of it and I'm slightly too afraid to look into it for fear of spoilers. (I'm only up to the second part of The Gunslinger at the moment - still no idea what is happening.)

Also genuinely surprised by all the acclaim for The Stand (including from King himself in the foreword of The Gunslinger), considering I'm not entirely sure I'd even heard of it before. I should probably add it to my To Read list, huh?

The stand is definitely one of the more popular king books. It's also one of his better ones.

If you want to know about connections, plus an order to read them in, spoiler free,
http://honkmahfah.blogspot.com/2012/04/dark-tower-suggested-reading-order-for.html?m=1
The order here is actually pretty good, although going this route will make you take forever. The only thing I would really skip is from a Buick 8.

Edit: it's worth noting that you can totally read the dark tower without reading any of the other books, but you will have a much reduced enjoyment of the story as a whole, and a lot of poo poo will make so much more sense. King sometimes just let's poo poo ride assuming you understand the characters/Connections already. I think it's seriously worth taking the time to read all the connect books.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 13, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Devo posted:

Mainly I just wish I had read this story sooner; it was really good! My mom has had an old beat up paperback copy of the Bachman books (the 1985 version) sitting around on the bookshelf for as long as I can remember. But for some reason I never read that one. The only Bachman I read as a teenager was Thinner and then much later The Regulators.

Also on the subject of King books I haven't read that were sitting around forever: is The Tommyknockers worth picking up and reading now that I'm a grown up type person? To this day that is the only King book I started and never finished. Didn't come close really. It bored the poo poo out of 14 year old me.

I quite like The Tommyknockers, but even I admit that the second quarter of the book is a huge drag. There's about 100 pages where nothing really happens. Everything from the time Bobbi starts to dig until Gard gets to Haven kinda sucks.

Once it gets going, it's really awesome, and the final act is an orgy of destruction and chaos that rivals The Stand in intensity, if not scope.

It also has one of King's better endings.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Pretty much throughout the Dark Tower series there are a few characters and/or settings that are from other King books. Some of these play major parts in the Dark Tower, some are minor. You can still get a lot of enjoyment from the Dark Tower series with little to no knowledge of these references beforehand - there's just additional enjoyment with knowing the backstory connections/crossovers. Some of these connections are directly described in the Dark Tower books so you'll mostly understand the reference anyway.

I read the Dark Tower a couple years ago and at the time I had read a couple of the crossover books, knew a little backstory of a couple others I hadn't read, and there were a few I had no knowledge of the crossover book. I feel it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the series and had a blast the whole way through. I'd say if you've already started the series and are getting invested and don't mind knowing there are references that you won't even realize then go ahead and continue - it's quite a ride.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Devo posted:

Also on the subject of King books I haven't read that were sitting around forever: is The Tommyknockers worth picking up and reading now that I'm a grown up type person?

Was wondering this too - Tommyknockers is one that my parents always had laying around that I just never picked up for some reason. Another one that was always on the shelf that I never read is The Dark Half - how does that one rank amongst King books?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Dark Half is the only King book I ever stopped reading because it was so boring and bad. I hate that book.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

The Dark Half is the only King book I ever stopped reading because it was so boring and bad. I hate that book.

Have you ever read Gerald's Game?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Having just re-read the Dark Tower books, I'd have to say that Wizard and Glass is the best novel, which may partially have to do with it having the least Susanna/Detta in it, outside of the first. The Roland flashback is the writing of his that most resembles Salem's Lot, which is a good thing.

6 and 7 actually completely change the writing style and toss in an omniscient narrator that talks to the reader constantly, which is just irritating. And I hate the rushed deaths in 7; they seem like obligatory "need to have people die" moments just tossed in there to be there, as opposed to things that are actually earned. That's the problem about tossing too much in the last book as opposed to pacing things out.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Wastelands remains my favorite, but you make good points.

juliuspringle posted:

Have you ever read Gerald's Game?

Nope, nor Rose Madder. I have both, I think, but they're very low on my priority list because of the constant poo poo they get everywhere people talk about Stephen King.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I liked Gerald's Game, but I seem to read the reality of the Space Cowboy for the protagonist a bit differently than other people usually do, it seems.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the Dark Tower series but I almost couldn't finish Song of Susanah. It was just so boring and meandering. Going from a 7 Samuri fight with kidnapping robot wolves to checking into hotels and the exciting adventures of Aaron Deepneau, rare book collecting idiot was jarring. By the end nothing had really been settled and ends on a stupid cliffhanger.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Darko posted:

Having just re-read the Dark Tower books, I'd have to say that Wizard and Glass is the best novel, which may partially have to do with it having the least Susanna/Detta in it, outside of the first. The Roland flashback is the writing of his that most resembles Salem's Lot, which is a good thing.

6 and 7 actually completely change the writing style and toss in an omniscient narrator that talks to the reader constantly, which is just irritating. And I hate the rushed deaths in 7; they seem like obligatory "need to have people die" moments just tossed in there to be there, as opposed to things that are actually earned. That's the problem about tossing too much in the last book as opposed to pacing things out.

I very rarely agree with your opinions, but I'm down with this one.

The backstory in Wizard is really good. Maybe some of King's best writing, and some of the best fantasy ever written. I use the word "best" because the story avoids two traps that a lot of fantasy falls into: 1) it never gets lost up its own rear end with backstory, history, and world-building, and 2) it's original without being entirely alien. Originality, of course, doesn't always mean quality, but King maintains the human connection (the love story) while bringing to bear the conflict between Roland's ka-tet, Jonas's ka-tet, and the struggle between the Affiliation and Farson without throwing too much culture poo poo at the audience (a trap he fell into with Wolves, say sorry). It's a hell of a balancing act that he pulls off very well. The Meijis stuff has the same flavor as The Gunslinger, which none of the other books quite have. That isn't a bad thing, but it's worth mentioning. King was able to match a tone he wrote twenty years before. That's no small trick.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Install Windows posted:

I liked Gerald's Game, but I seem to read the reality of the Space Cowboy for the protagonist a bit differently than other people usually do, it seems.

I liked Gerald's Game but read it when it first came out and haven't read it as an adult.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really like Stephen King and want to be a bigger fan of his. Read all the short story compendiums, the Shining, Salem's Lot, watched all the movies, etc. Loved them all.

But, I read the extended edition of The Stand earlier this year and absolutely hated it. Hated it. Hated the pacing, the huge let down at the end of the story, the characters. It started off so promising then rambled for six hundred pages.

I really want to read the Dark Tower series and was told that the villain in the Stand is also the villain in them and now I'm not sure if I want to do it. Is this series a significant upgrade over the Stand or is it similar?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Dark Tower is better, and the villain from The Stand is not exactly the same villain in the Dark Tower. There are many villains in The Dark Tower anyway.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

There are many villains in The Dark Tower anyway.

There are at least 19.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

I really like Stephen King and want to be a bigger fan of his. Read all the short story compendiums, the Shining, Salem's Lot, watched all the movies, etc. Loved them all.

But, I read the extended edition of The Stand earlier this year and absolutely hated it. Hated it. Hated the pacing, the huge let down at the end of the story, the characters. It started off so promising then rambled for six hundred pages.

I really want to read the Dark Tower series and was told that the villain in the Stand is also the villain in them and now I'm not sure if I want to do it. Is this series a significant upgrade over the Stand or is it similar?

Dark Tower really isn't much like The Stand. Many King novels do suffer from squandering promising beginnings - that's why his short stories are often considered his best work - so you might want to get used to that, unfortunately. Very few (none?) pull the basic-premise bait-and-switch that The Stand does though.

DT is certainly worth reading but you may want to read more of his standalone stuff beforehand - DT took so long to write that it may be helpful for your enjoyment to already understand the general trajectory of his writing style over time. Otherwise you may be put off by how much the series changes book to book. It's by no means a requirement, however.

P.S. The post a page or so ago advising someone to skip From a Buick 8 is so wrong. It's a really good entry in the small-town-profile genre of King books as long as you aren't expecting a fast-paced thriller.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 15, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jazerus posted:

Dark Tower really isn't much like The Stand. Many King novels do suffer from squandering promising beginnings - that's why his short stories are often considered his best work - so you might want to get used to that, unfortunately. Very few (none?) pull the basic-premise bait-and-switch that The Stand does though.

DT is certainly worth reading but you may want to read more of his standalone stuff beforehand - DT took so long to write that it may be helpful for your enjoyment to already understand the general trajectory of his writing style over time. Otherwise you may be put off by how much the series changes book to book. It's by no means a requirement, however.

P.S. The post a page or so ago advising someone to skip From a Buick 8 is so wrong. It's a really good entry in the small-town-profile genre of King books as long as you aren't expecting a fast-paced thriller.

I was referring to skipping From a Buick 8 specifically as part of the extended Dark Tower lore.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Berzerker posted:

The Dark Tower is better, and the villain from The Stand is not exactly the same villain in the Dark Tower. There are many villains in The Dark Tower anyway.

Like this fucker:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Doltos posted:

It is similar to the Stand in that it starts off promising, becomes boring about half way through, then ends in a massive letdown. It's very rare to come across someone having read Dark Tower that doesn't think the last three books are really disappointing. That said, DT4:Wizard and Glass is my favorite King book due to a gigantic 500 page flashback in the middle of the 700 page book. By the time you get here, the main plot is never interesting again. But that flashback.. I think it's the best thing King ever wrote. It's detached from the rest of the series and probably should have been it's own book. I wonder if it could function as a stand alone story.

Have you read IT? That's a big 1000 page books that's mostly fantastic all the way through.