Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Tae posted:

So is money ever a problem for story mode, because I'm just rolling in dough and have still way too many dinky weapons to sell off.
No, but in Ambition mode you can use money to upgrade your characters. Not sure if XL added any other money sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

5er posted:

Dong Zhuo's bomb EXs are so sweet, and bombs are so much fun in the first place I wouldn't switch off it for any reason.

Counterpoint: Dongy sighed as he drew his katana. (Seriously though, the bombs are super good)

Maleketh posted:

Get Zhou Tai to level 50 and you'll unlock a skill to give anyone 4-star compatibility with curved swords.

Awesome. I assume everyone and their EX weapons work the same way, or are there some that don't get the compatibility unlock?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh hey, speak of the devil. New Kamen Rider: Battride War 2 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaH0bcisXK0

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Policenaut posted:

Oh hey, speak of Cao Cao

Fixed. Looks neat, I've never ventured outside of the Dynasty/Samurai/Orochi trinity so I've never really experienced the utter balls out insanity of stuff like that.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
:psyduck: Siege Spear. Let me just orbital drop these peasants.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If you think that's neat, you should consider the Revolving Crossbow DLC weapon preferably with the DLC Telescope skin.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I held off on reporting on any of this until I found something that worked: for now, switching on Windows 98 compatibility mode seems to get rid of all the black screen problems. Unfortunately, it also makes the game run like it's playing underwater. After a bit, I got used to it, but I really hope they're going to fix whatever threading problem they seem to be having.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

gschmidl posted:

I held off on reporting on any of this until I found something that worked: for now, switching on Windows 98 compatibility mode seems to get rid of all the black screen problems. Unfortunately, it also makes the game run like it's playing underwater. After a bit, I got used to it, but I really hope they're going to fix whatever threading problem they seem to be having.

Underwater like slow? Or something different?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tae posted:

Underwater like slow? Or something different?

Yeah, slow. Apparently 98 mode restricts it to a single core.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Here's something that I read on the Steam forums that seems to work for me:

1. Set compatibility to Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
2. Set Priority to High
3. Set Affinity to only 1 core

2 & 3 need to be done in the Task Manager, under the Details tab. Look for Launch.exe and right click to change the Priority and Affinity options. Unfortunately I don't know how to make these changes permanent and I have to do 2 & 3 every time I load up the game, but I haven't run into any problems or slowdown since I started doing this.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gschmidl posted:

Yeah, slow. Apparently 98 mode restricts it to a single core.

That would make sense. One of the other current fixes is to start the game, open task manager, then force priority to high and set affinity to just a single core.

Alacron posted:

Here's something that I read on the Steam forums that seems to work for me:

1. Set compatibility to Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
2. Set Priority to High
3. Set Affinity to only 1 core

2 & 3 need to be done in the Task Manager, under the Details tab. Look for Launch.exe and right click to change the Priority and Affinity options. Unfortunately I don't know how to make these changes permanent and I have to do 2 & 3 every time I load up the game, but I haven't run into any problems or slowdown since I started doing this.

I did this, except for step 1 and it worked for me and I didn't really notice too much of a performance hit (running Windows 8 myself).

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Nemo2342 posted:

I did this, except for step 1 and it worked for me and I didn't really notice too much of a performance hit (running Windows 8 myself).

Yeah, I wasn't too sure on how necessary that part was but I included it just in case.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I had tried the affinity but not setting priority to high. That seems to work at first glance, even without XP compatibility.

You can make it permanent by creating a shortcut:

pre:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START /HIGH /AFFINITY 0x1 /D "D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dynasty Warriors 8" launch.exe
(replace path with your own, obviously)

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Zhang Liao's new voice actor is atrocious. Do we know why they changed?

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

kissekatt posted:

Zhang Liao's new voice actor is atrocious. Do we know why they changed?

Yeah this gets periodically said in the thread, and since I agree, I won't mind when it eventually gets said a few more times.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

5er posted:

Yeah this gets periodically said in the thread, and since I agree, I won't mind when it eventually gets said a few more times.

DW8 is my first in a long time, so I had to look into this and wow. That sure is a downgrade.

I don't mind the new guy all that much but man, that went from really solid voice acting to... acceptable.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Probably didn't have the budget for the full cast and they had to give Zhang Liao a LOT more lines than before.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Shima Honnou posted:

Awesome. I assume everyone and their EX weapons work the same way, or are there some that don't get the compatibility unlock?

Everyone. And if you manage to unlock the skills for each weapon of a particular type (Dash, Whirlwind, etc.) you get a bonus skill that does the same for all weapons of that type.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't remember who it is off the top of my head, but there's someone who sounds like he was told about the Beijing erhua and just cranks it up to 11 for all the names and place names. It's just like, jesus dude, tone it down a bit.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
So who's the best guy to use in WO3? And what are some rare items/weapons that are must haves?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's not really how these games work. You pick the three characters you like the most, or just use the suggested groups if you don't know the characters well enough. Likewise, there's not rare items/weapons, so use whatever you like best.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there a trick to using Lian Shi because right now she feels slow, immobile and just bad at doing objectives.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Don't use the crossbow, it's the worst weapon in every game it's in.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The only good bow seems to be the one that new Wu guy (the one that looks like an elf and never shuts up about fire) uses... and even it isn't great. But at least he is super mobile while using it.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

abagofcheetos posted:

Wu guy (the one that looks like an elf and never shuts up about fire)

Well that sure narrows it down.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

That's not really how these games work. You pick the three characters you like the most, or just use the suggested groups if you don't know the characters well enough. Likewise, there's not rare items/weapons, so use whatever you like best.

Actually there are in WO3, but it's basically stuff like you need to defeat 1500 enemies on hard mode in specific levels with a specific character (and the game never tells you how).

There's no "best" single character in WO3, it's more like pick three characters whose moves you enjoy and have fun with them.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Gimnbo posted:

Well that sure narrows it down.

He's talking about Zhu Ran. And he's wrong; the Flame Bow is a horrible weapon.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I mean... it isn't good... but you can strafe like a mofo!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

abagofcheetos posted:

The only good bow seems to be the one that new Wu guy (the one that looks like an elf and never shuts up about fire) uses... and even it isn't great. But at least he is super mobile while using it.

The bows seem to absolutely slam officers weak to them though. Whatever the technical name is for that blue thing over their head, bows just seem to annihilate it, and the followup attack has devastating amounts of coverage.

I love how DW's skill cap ends up not being about survival, but about just how much carnage you can inflict and how quickly you can do it. :allears:

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Dewgy posted:

The bows seem to absolutely slam officers weak to them though. Whatever the technical name is for that blue thing over their head, bows just seem to annihilate it, and the followup attack has devastating amounts of coverage.

I love how DW's skill cap ends up not being about survival, but about just how much carnage you can inflict and how quickly you can do it. :allears:

And that's how you survive. The KOEI circle of life.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Hey guys, been really enjoying DW8 on PC, but was curious about the PC version of DW7. Is there any sort of English patch worth a drat for the game floating around out there?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is anyone else having trouble with massive eyestrain? I can't tell what's setting it off, but 20-30 minutes of having a blast makes me feel likes someone's been sandblasting my eyeballs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with massive eyestrain? I can't tell what's setting it off, but 20-30 minutes of having a blast makes me feel likes someone's been sandblasting my eyeballs.
I think I do feel a bit more of it than with most other games, yeah. Interestingly, another game that gives me this is Disgaea. I wonder if there is a connection? Just too much poo poo on the screen?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I found some strangers on the internet who were asserting that it was the background blur DW8 uses in place of fog, but I didn't find anything to substantiate or refute it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You mean the Depth of Field? That can be turned off, if it's bugging you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I don't get a ton but yeah it's noticeably worse in DW8.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

PureRok posted:

You mean the Depth of Field? That can be turned off, if it's bugging you.

Weird, I was certain depth of field was what was bugging me, but I just checked and it's been off this whole time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is anyone having some trouble in Shouchun in the lu bu campaign? These generals are supposed to meet with other enemy generals. Normally in this situation they would beeline toward them, but they seem more interested in killing mooks.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

Weird, I was certain depth of field was what was bugging me, but I just checked and it's been off this whole time.
I have to ask, what's with the 雲雲龍雲龍龍 avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have to ask, what's with the 雲雲龍雲龍龍 avatar?

It's actually a single kanji, commonly called the taito- it's the highest-stroke count single kanji used in modern language. ^^