Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

RisqueBarber posted:

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not to read The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron? The reviews seem vastly mixed. I loved the Red Knight but what I loved was the fast pace of it, and I hear The Fell Sword is very slow.

I thought it was a pretty big letdown from the first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

RisqueBarber posted:

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not to read The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron? The reviews seem vastly mixed. I loved the Red Knight but what I loved was the fast pace of it, and I hear The Fell Sword is very slow.

I actually just finished this today, after enjoying The Red Knight quite a bit.

Definitely a bit disappointing; it felt like the pacing was horribly off. Not the worst book I've ever read, but, eh.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, the Red Knight's adventures in Not-Byzantium were mostly self-contained like the first book, and almost completely divorced from all the other plot threads, which taken together seemed like the first half or third of a much larger fantasy book. Maybe he bit off more that he could chew, or was pressured into shoeing in a big overarching epic plotline.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

High Warlord Zog posted:

On a scale of Freaky Friday to I Will Fear No Evil, how bad is he?

You remember how in DBZ when the guy's scouter exploded because the other dude's power level was so high?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Has anyone read Retribution Falls or other stuff from the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding? I can't tell if this will be a fun adventure through the skies or a cringy cheesefest. I read the Broken Sky series as a kid and at the time I thought it was absolutely amazing, although I have my doubts it holds up as a fun children's sf series today. Having no knowledge of anime at the time probably helped. And being a kid that can just enjoy things has low standards.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

Has anyone read Retribution Falls or other stuff from the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding? I can't tell if this will be a fun adventure through the skies or a cringy cheesefest. I read the Broken Sky series as a kid and at the time I thought it was absolutely amazing, although I have my doubts it holds up as a fun children's sf series today. Having no knowledge of anime at the time probably helped. And being a kid that can just enjoy things has low standards.

Ferretbrain, which is usually a pretty thorough review site, did not like it one bit.

That said? It's supposed to be like Firefly. So maybe that's your thing?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bolverkur posted:

I read it a few months ago and really enjoyed it:

my goodreads review posted:

4.5 stars!

drat, that was fun. This was an uncomplicated, rip-roaring adventure story about air-pirates in a well-realised fantasy world. It had the vibe of the TV show Firefly, but its tone and character dynamics were different enough that it didn't feel like a clone. It also reminded me a bit of The Lies of Locke Lamora, with loveable underworld protagonists getting in over their heads in grander conspiracies. It didn't have the dark turn of Lies though; instead it kept the tone light throughout. That made this a book I can see myself coming back to when I want something cozy and fun to dip into.

The plot kept moving, with few lulls, and there was a nice amount of action to the book. Each of the main characters became pretty well-developed throughout the story, and now that I've come to know them, it makes me all the more eager to check out the next book in the series. A few mysteries were left unexplained, such as exactly what is happening to Jez, and that's also left me hungry for more.

One thing I was quite impressed with throughout the book was the author's adeptness in inventing, and describing, scenery and locations. Every place visited in the story felt different from the last, and I could picture them all clearly. The result was that the world of the book felt like it would be a fun place to visit. The author describes weather excellently too, lending great atmosphere to certain scenes.

A disappointment: the plot wrapped up rather quickly at the end. Could have had one or two more chapters. Perhaps I'll find out some of the aftermath at the start of book two.

There was a small appendix at the end, which was a worthy addition. It included a set of rules for the card game Rake, a variant of poker which features often in the plot. There was also a 20-ish page prequel, in the form of diary entries by the main character in the months preceeding this novel. It's not essential reading, but it was kind of fun to find out what the crew of the Ketty Jay were up to earlier on.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RisqueBarber posted:

I enjoyed it well enough, and was sad that I have to wait for a sequel. The author may have bit off more than he could chew by trying to make all that poo poo happen and then having it parallel Arthurian legend, in Fell Sword.

The douchebag knight is even douchier, and crazier, and he actually is really really badass as well. I had kind of been hoping up to a point that he'd turn out to be some muscle-brained idiot who didn't believe in monsters and ended up dying in vain to them, but he's so over the top I still enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to how the mythology is dovetailed into his character from here on.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So is there a thread for talking the business side if SFF? I want to discuss Orbit's decision not to include the novels in the Hugo voters packet.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

So is there a thread for talking the business side if SFF? I want to discuss Orbit's decision not to include the novels in the Hugo voters packet.

I think you're posting in it.

Why'd Orbit do that?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

fritz posted:

Why'd Orbit do that?

My understanding is that if they did that, they'd be giving away more of those books than they would sell hardcover in a year, at least in the UK (which is where they operate).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

fritz posted:

Why'd Orbit do that?

Worldcon is in the UK and with the exception of Larry Correia's all the novels nominated are published in the UK by Orbit. Essentially they would be costing themselves sales.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Interesting that Wheel of Time was released then, but that's already sold most of the books it ever will.

Since they have so many books involved the usual argument that the chance of victory helps publicity is muted. Even if one of them wins, the other two get no help, and the membership of this year's Worldcon is huge due to the Wheel of Time offer. From an economic perspective it makes a good deal of sense. From an ethical perspective I can't convince myself that they're obliged to provide the novels.

I really hope the comments I'm seeing from some that they'll take it out on the novels in the voting don't pan out.

I'm pretty curious which book will win this year though. Not because it's a great showdown of top-quality literature but because every entrant has some kind of associated drama. Correia crudely campaigned for his nomination and associated himself with a white supremacist, the Wheel of Time has a large fanbase, but is controversial in its presence and just plain bad for most of its length, and the three 'normal' books now aren't in the voter packet and are attracting an attendant backlash.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

fritz posted:

Yep.

The actual issue is that they're going against the tradition of the Hugo voiting packet extravaganza, but that was always a commercial decision too. I think it's a bit of a storm in a teacup.

E:

Peel posted:

Interesting that Wheel of Time was released then, but that's already sold most of the books it ever will.

Since they have so many books involved the usual argument that the chance of victory helps publicity is muted. Even if one of them wins, the other two get no help, and the membership of this year's Worldcon is huge due to the Wheel of Time offer. From an economic perspective it makes a good deal of sense. From an ethical perspective I can't convince myself that they're obliged to provide the novels.

I think (based on reading Charles Stross' blog) Orbit don't own the relevant rights, Tor does. In which light Orbit looks even worse due to Tor's generosity.

Also the novel controversy may result in so many ballots being cast there and so few in other categories that the 5% limit is missed, leading to an automatic No Award.

E2: Woah there's about 150% the usual number of members.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 16, 2014

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

House Louse posted:

Yep.

The actual issue is that they're going against the tradition of the Hugo voiting packet extravaganza, but that was always a commercial decision too. I think it's a bit of a storm in a teacup.

I actually think Scalzi's comments on the whole thing were pretty level headed, especially considering he was one of the people to get the voting package ball rolling in the first place: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/05/13/notes-on-this-years-hugo-voters-packet/

It basically comes down to people suddenly feeling entitled and Orbit doing a cold calculation on how much they would gain by giving 3 of their published books for free and might reap one reward vs. earn some money on all three.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
Hello,

I have just finished reading "The old man's war" by John Scalzi. I have found it quite entertaining, but not really one of the best things I've read lately. I understand this is the first novel in a series, so the writer has used it to set up the Universe, the main characters and the global frame of the big story.

I wonder if it gets better in the following books of the series. That universe is promising, but if it does not "take off" I don't think I will get the rest of the books.

Does anyone think it is worth to continue reading the rest of the series?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Amberskin posted:

Hello,

I have just finished reading "The old man's war" by John Scalzi. I have found it quite entertaining, but not really one of the best things I've read lately. I understand this is the first novel in a series, so the writer has used it to set up the Universe, the main characters and the global frame of the big story.

I wonder if it gets better in the following books of the series. That universe is promising, but if it does not "take off" I don't think I will get the rest of the books.

For you, probably not.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I really dig Scalzi's humorous way of writing, and the characters/universe are very interesting to me. If you were like me, I'd recommend continuing the series. The rest maybe aren't as good as Old Man's War, but they're very similar.

However, since you didn't seem to like OMW as much as I did, I wouldn't recommend continuing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fried Chicken posted:

Worldcon is in the UK and with the exception of Larry Correia's all the novels nominated are published in the UK by Orbit. Essentially they would be costing themselves sales.
I'm kind of curious how you would consider any of Correia's work to be Hugo nominee-worthy material. Did he start writing groundbreaking and interesting new fiction? I thought he just wrote about werewolves and ex-Marine Texans with gun fetishes.

Amberskin posted:

Hello,

I read the second one and it didn't engage me nearly as much, wasn't gonna try for a third helping. You might try Poor Man's Fight which is way more in the vein of Old Man's War, except it's about a kid who's too poor to pay for school so he's gotta join the space marines. I also liked Steel World and look forward to its sequel.

edit: oh dang, I was looking at the audio version, Dust World came out in March. :woop:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 16, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Amberskin posted:

Hello,

Eh. It's not like they are slow going. But no, I don't think they improve, writing wise. The Plot Thickens, and we discover that the human league, or whatever the gently caress they are called is up to some considerably shady poo poo. Our heroes continue to be dad-joke snarking everymen who just happen to be better at everything.

The Human Division ends on an annoying (but very large and set-piece) cliff hanger, which was really annyoing if you were suckered into paying 99c a chapter or whatever it was, but apparently there will be a Human Division: The Divisioning that will continue our exciting tale.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I managed to get Jennifer Fallon's Second Sons Trilogy alongside some other books. I haven't read anything from her, is this trilogy any good? Seems politicky and grim which I like, but they are doorstoppers and I don't have the time to invest to check out if they're good or not. :)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

coyo7e posted:

I'm kind of curious how you would consider any of Correia's work to be Hugo nominee-worthy material. Did he start writing groundbreaking and interesting new fiction? I thought he just wrote about werewolves and ex-Marine Texans with gun fetishes.

You know that the nomination process is, in a lot of ways, nothing more than a glorified popularity contest, right? Correia spent a lot of time and effort on a troll campaign to get his book on the list.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

You know that the nomination process is, in a lot of ways, nothing more than a glorified popularity contest, right? Correia spent a lot of time and effort on a troll campaign to get his book on the list.

This is also how Vox Day and Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant got on the ballot. They just went out and asked people to do it. There are rumors that Vox Day bought memberships for people to do it, though.

As per the Orbit thing: the only new readers a Hugo brings in are the people who vote for a Hugo, so giving the books away means they wouldn't really buy anything. And if you read the comments on Scalzi's blog, there's a lot of people saying they weren't going to buy these books of their own volition, anyway. Besides, they're going up against Memory of Light, which kind of makes campaigning pointless.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Amberskin posted:

Hello,

Probably not. I love Scalzi's writing style and thoroughly enjoyed the Old Man's War universe, but the books don't really "get better". They are all pretty consistent and pretty much "more of the same". This is obviously great if you enjoyed the first but not so much if you didn't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xik posted:

Probably not. I love Scalzi's writing style and thoroughly enjoyed the Old Man's War universe, but the books don't really "get better". They are all pretty consistent and pretty much "more of the same". This is obviously great if you enjoyed the first but not so much if you didn't.

They get a little bit better in that as the series progresses Scalzi does more to subvert the Heinleinesque HOO RAH MILITARY IS AWESOME genre trope. I mean, that's there in the first book, but there's more of it more overtly as the series progresses.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

anathenema posted:

Besides, they're going up against Memory of Light, which kind of makes campaigning pointless.

Technically they're going up against the Wheel of Time as a whole. I'm holding out hope that new readers delving into the complete series and getting stuck in the quagmire of the later Jordan output will counterbalance the series fans.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They get a little bit better in that as the series progresses Scalzi does more to subvert the Heinleinesque HOO RAH MILITARY IS AWESOME genre trope. I mean, that's there in the first book, but there's more of it more overtly as the series progresses.

Well, I guess my english is not good enough to catch that in the first book. Even when the main character has his faith crisis after killing those lilliputian mini-men just stepping on them, his comrades easily dismiss it, apparently with success since the issue does not come back the rest of the book.

My main complaint is I'm not really able to suspend my beliefs to accept the background development (the colonials being far too much independent from the Earth nations) and some of the details (would an army, as much elite and off-earth you want just dismiss the military experience of its recruits and put a damned colonel under the command of a publicist made lance corporal?). If the story is just "more of the same" and there is no justification for the very existence of the independent colonial union, I don't think I will get caught into the story.

That said, the first book is a nice read, the pace is good, the action parts are well written and the humour is also refreshing. I'm still undecided.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Amberskin posted:

Well, I guess my english is not good enough to catch that in the first book. Even when the main character has his faith crisis after killing those lilliputian mini-men just stepping on them, his comrades easily dismiss it, apparently with success since the issue does not come back the rest of the book.

My main complaint is I'm not really able to suspend my beliefs to accept the background development (the colonials being far too much independent from the Earth nations) and some of the details (would an army, as much elite and off-earth you want just dismiss the military experience of its recruits and put a damned colonel under the command of a publicist made lance corporal?). If the story is just "more of the same" and there is no justification for the very existence of the independent colonial union, I don't think I will get caught into the story.

That said, the first book is a nice read, the pace is good, the action parts are well written and the humour is also refreshing. I'm still undecided.

Well, the later books do address some of your concerns. As far as the military experience goes...says in the same page that previous military experience don't mean poo poo. Literally inapplicable. Even assuming a colonel had an uncommon grasp of small unit tactics, it would be for weak-rear end baseline humans, fighting against other weak-rear end baseline humans, so he'd be starting from roughly the same place as an ad-guy in terms of dealing with augmented humans against all the weirdness of the universe. And, at least in the initial books, we are dealing with very small squads very low on the strategic totem pole, with very high turnover rates in personnel, on account of the being eaten, so nobody much cares what you knew about soldering 40 years ago on Earth, don't get eaten for 10 years in the Galaxy, and we'll discuss your more relevant experience.

The later books also do explore Earth's relationship with the Colonial Union, and it is kinda interesting.

Though the mains continue to be smarter than everybody else.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Amberskin posted:

Yeah, things like the crisis of faith don't even happen in most military SF.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
People should read TC McCarthy's The Subterrene War series if they wanna read well written military scifi that has a very large focus on the moral and ethical implications of war, with it taking a very heavy toll on the characters' psyches and lives.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
The first seven books of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher are today's Kindle Daily Deal at $1.99 each.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

savinhill posted:

People should read TC McCarthy's The Subterrene War series if they wanna read well written military scifi that has a very large focus on the moral and ethical implications of war, with it taking a very heavy toll on the characters' psyches and lives.

I've just bought Germline. The summary of the plot seems interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

coyo7e posted:

All he said was that it wasn't published by Orbit in the UK.

quote:

You might try Poor Man's Fight which is way more in the vein of Old Man's War, except it's about a kid who's too poor to pay for school so he's gotta join the space marines.

Haha wow it's for real. Reminds me of when I was twelve writing about the "Black King" instead of the Dark Lord.

E: There are some really interesting posts about current Chinese sf, written by sf writers, on Tor.com at the moment. This is the latest one.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 17, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone having issues with sending books to their free.kindle.com email?

Can't seem to get it working today.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Fart of Presto posted:

The first seven books of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher are today's Kindle Daily Deal at $1.99 each.

Does this series get a lot better? I just started book 5, and they're fun enough, but I like Iron Druid better for my pulpy urban fantasy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I'd recommend em if you like the Iron Druid stuff.

Dresden is a little less pop culture-ish but the overall story is a bit better. To be fair though, he's got something like 14 books where the Iron Druid guy is only up to book 4? I think.

The first book was kinda igh, the second book SSSSUUUCCCKKKKEDDDD . but the ones after that were all pretty good. My favorite is still Dead Beat, but the one about the porn studio was pretty hilarious as well.

I bought em brand spanking new at something like 6-8$, so for 2$ a pop that's a hell of a bargain.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I've actually been listening to the audible version. The narrator, James Marsters, is half the reason I've continued to listen. He's the perfect voice for what I imagine Dresden sounds like.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think they switched John Glover? for one book because Marsters wasn't available because of scheduling conflicts.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Does this series get a lot better? I just started book 5, and they're fun enough, but I like Iron Druid better for my pulpy urban fantasy.

Dresden is significantly better than Iron Druid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fried Chicken posted:

Dresden is significantly better than Iron Druid

Yeah, it's not even a contest. Rivers of London series? Arguably better than Dresden. The Rook? It certainly has the potential, but you can't pass judgement after only one book. Ditto for London Falling. But the Iron Druid series? Hahahahaha no.