Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yessir.

I also completely forgot to autopick for Zodiac 5000 last night but if a bunch of picks happen today we can do it in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I picked! Kinda surprised Kipnis fell to me, figured he'd be taken early.

Perez might be a stretch, but I like his potential and defense.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

should we shorten the clock to 2 hours after the 5th round?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like the Kipnis pick, and Perez is pretty solid as well. It's a little bit of a reach but I think when you're bookending a draft with this many teams sometimes you don't have a choice if there's someone you really like.

Two hours might be a little short after five rounds but we could maybe make it three.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I like the Kipnis pick, and Perez is pretty solid as well. It's a little bit of a reach but I think when you're bookending a draft with this many teams sometimes you don't have a choice if there's someone you really like.

Two hours might be a little short after five rounds but we could maybe make it three.

I agree. I think the middle rounds will be where teams are made or broken since that's where the real strategy will kick in and it might not just be about picking the best player available.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

I agree. I think the middle rounds will be where teams are made or broken since that's where the real strategy will kick in and it might not just be about picking the best player available.

Yeah this is what I'm worried about, I'm already seeing picks and thinking "drat I forgot about him". I don't have that good of a grasp on who might be a good sleeper pick.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I thought Wacha, Cueto, and Kemp would all be sleeper picks. Shows what I know.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've got plenty of sleeper picks still alive :smug:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I still have a ton of (10 or so) sleepers that fit the system I'm trying to create. The hard part is trying guess when I need to take them based on what everyone else is doing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zodiac, that worked out really well because Kinsler is exactly who I was going to auto for you.

HAL9100 has 30 minutes to make his pick and then Zodiac will be up again.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I figured 2B is pretty much dropping off a cliff and I needed to secure something not like... Jose Altuve...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pittsburgh is skipped again. Zodiac is up.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Zodiac5000 posted:

I figured 2B is pretty much dropping off a cliff and I needed to secure something not like... -snip- ...

I think you mean Nick Punto. :colbert:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
drat I thought Anibal Sanchez would continue to be forgotten about.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Popete posted:

Yeah this is what I'm worried about, I'm already seeing picks and thinking "drat I forgot about him". I don't have that good of a grasp on who might be a good sleeper pick.
I like looking at fantasy draft analyses for 2014 and sorting by position. Since those rarely take defense into consideration, a little bit more investigation is required, but generally it helps me remember to make a note of some players at some positions who could provide good value at later spots.

I'd recommend making a googledoc spreadsheet of your team sorta like what the publicly available doc has. Then, as you run through the list, mark down the players you really want, and where you might think they go.

With 30 teams going, this will not be the typical happy fantasy draft. Someone will end up with a literal Nick Punto (or reasonable facsimile) since there simply aren't 30 good players at every position. So just single out what you think might be good values, and don't worry too much because pretty much everyone is, at the end of the day, going to be gnashing their teeth at some position or another.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mks5000 posted:

I think you mean Nick Punto. :colbert:

Maybe he ranks 2B by height.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pander posted:

Maybe he ranks 2B by height.

You're supposed to call undrafted guys Nick Puntos, and not refer to them by name.

:cmon:

e: Pander and Zodiac are different people, doh.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 15, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mks5000 posted:

You're supposed to call undrafted guys Nick Puntos, and not refer to them by name.

:cmon:

:thejoke:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Argh GDI I was sure Choo could slip a few more slots

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I really wanted Choo, oh well, my eyes are on a plethora of Puntos at this point

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've got my eye on a few guys but if anyone wants to move up to my spot for a specific guy feel free to shoot me a PM and maybe we can work out a trade. I'm not gonna ask for anything absurd as long a I don't have to move down a bunch of spots, so don't be afraid!

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

It's amazing how bad that one dude is about posting non picks in the picks thread

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cart Mountain posted:

It's amazing how bad that one dude is about posting non picks in the picks thread

I KNOW SHUT UP :(

Llame: Why Ellsbury if you don't mind me asking, given how you have Kemp? Kinda intrigued.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Value got to me again. I couldn't turn down a possibly elite leadoff man in Ellsbury, even with Kemp already on the team. I guess I'll just move Kemp to a Corner spot, and hope that he hits well enough to justify it. I mean, a 1-2-3 lineup of Ellsbury, Kemp and Miggy?
Also, Kinsler and Kipnis were off the board, and I was really hoping to get one of them.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

That's fair. A nice lineup. Also potential trade bait for later.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

I KNOW SHUT UP :(

Llame: Why Ellsbury if you don't mind me asking, given how you have Kemp? Kinda intrigued.

I feel like you should be using :saddowns: instead of :( at this point :)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

OKAY I LIKE THAT SMILY :downs:

This is a lot earlier than I expected Abreu to go.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Pander posted:

OKAY I LIKE THAT SMILY :downs:

This is a lot earlier than I expected Abreu to go.

POWER. Admittedly I was scrambling a little bit and I really like him outside of this. Im probably more concerned with building a team I'd like than trying outright to win.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I'm upset no one tried for an All Cuba gimmick team

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gonna make my pick at 4 if I don't get any other trade offers!

This is partially because nobody on my list was taken in the last five picks so I need to figure out which one I want and partially because I'm at work :v:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Gonna make my pick at 4 if I don't get any other trade offers!

This is partially because nobody on my list was taken in the last five picks so I need to figure out which one I want and partially because I'm at work :v:
I just pm'd you back to accept your initial counteroffer

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mynameisjohn posted:

I just pm'd you back to accept your initial counteroffer

:siren: A Trade! :siren:

Minnesota trades the following picks to St. Louis
Round 3
Round 8
Round 10
Round 12

St. Louis trades the following picks to Minnesota
Round 3
Round 8
Round 10
Round 12

Also I really hope you're picking who I think you are

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

:siren: A Trade! :siren:

Minnesota trades the following picks to St. Louis
Round 3
Round 8
Round 10
Round 12

St. Louis trades the following picks to Minnesota
Round 3
Round 8
Round 10
Round 12

Also I really hope you're picking who I think you are
I'm not sure that I am, but this is a real deal™ :getin:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mynameisjohn posted:

I'm not sure that I am, but this is a real deal™ :getin:

That is not who I thought you were going to pick, but it is still a good pick.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

drafting Kipnis above him was :psyduck:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

drafting Kipnis above him was :psyduck:

Kipnis isn't a greybeard.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

IcePhoenix posted:

I surely thought he was taking Nick Punto. Thankfully, he did not, leaving me just one pick away from being able to grab Nick Punto.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

I surely thought he was taking Nick Punto. Thankfully, he did not, leaving me just one pick away from being able to grab Nick Punto.
wanna see who this Punto is.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Y'alls keep your hands off my Punto. I saw Nick first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I know who this pinto is and its going to leave me disappointed

• Locked thread