Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Das_Ubermike posted:

Is this game worth the $7.50? I'd be interested to hear your opinions on it.

It's OK, but you may want to wait for their 'Engine 2.0' game Mius Front, which is due out soon. Apparently it improves a lot over the original (when has a 2.0 engine ever been plugged as being worse!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
That game seems like it wants to be Combat Mission but set in a wasteland of ice, snow and forest or Russia. I've seen a couple of let's plays but they were all played out in that same endless nothingness. Is there any small scale combat that doesn't replicate 1 for 1 the drudgery of slogging through a ton of tundra?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rapacity posted:

That game seems like it wants to be Combat Mission but set in a wasteland of ice, snow and forest or Russia. I've seen a couple of let's plays but they were all played out in that same endless nothingness. Is there any small scale combat that doesn't replicate 1 for 1 the drudgery of slogging through a ton of tundra?

The game is set during Operation Star, which was a Feb 1943 offensive to capture two key cities in the Ukraine. It looks like they're slogging across a vast expanse of tundra because it's the tail-end of the Russian winter and they're in the Donbas.

The next Mius Front game will be in the spring/summer, so there's that.

Das_Ubermike posted:

Is this game worth the $7.50? I'd be interested to hear your opinions on it.

I'm still learning - what I can say right off the bat is that this actually has a pretty good tutorial and there's lots of options for handing off AI control or large-formation orders to whole units rather than Combat Mission's having to manage every single little squad. It reminds me a bit of Take Command's orders flexibility, although this is much prettier.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

20 turns from hell. Hannibal just barely hung on long enough in Italy to eke out a win. Also managed to wipe out Scipio Africanus' army and kill the bastard for good.

CTGW people: New turns soon I promise, RIP Brusilov

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
In the continuing evolution of Matrix's relationship to Steam, Distant Worlds: Universe is going to be released there on May 23rd. $59.99 includes everything released so far. $49.99 preorder price, with that price being continued for some period of time at Matrix store post release. $10 off for each installment already owned through Matrix. Steam keys will be provided.

And to make it definitely a grog post, I just read that Close Combat: Gateway to Caen will be released next month on Steam as well.

vyshka fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 15, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

vyshka posted:

In the continuing evolution of Matrix's relationship to Steam, Distant Worlds: Universe is going to be released there on May 23rd. $59.99 includes everything released so far. $49.99 preorder price, with that price being continued for some period of time at Matrix store post release. $10 off for each installment already owned through Matrix. Steam keys will be provided.

And to make it definitely a grog post, I just read that Close Combat: Gateway to Caen will be released next month on Steam as well.

That's less a grog post than a "better upgrade our overhead cover because flying pigs drop heavier loads than pigeons".

:toot:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Got an iPad recently and what is the general consensus on John Tiller's stuff? The demos seem cool so far, but I don't know how the engine will hold up in general.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

vyshka posted:

Auuugh so many monies but I wants it drat you Matrix :negative:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Kind of interested to see the Battle Academy: Thirty Years War game that has been announced.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

Got an iPad recently and what is the general consensus on John Tiller's stuff? The demos seem cool so far, but I don't know how the engine will hold up in general.

If you already like John Tiller's games then it's very much more of the same. I've mostly been playing that and games from DK Simulations.

EDIT: I found Quang Tri 72 to be really quite playable and good - rolling over US and ARVN forces was a lot simpler than I thought it'd be.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 16, 2014

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

vyshka posted:

Ugh...not sure I'll be able to hold off at that price. It's still expensive for a "game" but drat them

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is Men of War: Assault Squad 2 any good?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is Men of War: Assault Squad 2 any good?

Apparently it's Assault Squad 1 with some engine optimizations and extra content. So yes.

e: I basically intend to get it the moment it goes on a decent sale, then try to rustle up some goons because the original is one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 17, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Any goon willing to take the dive? I was kinda burnt with men of war: Vietnam. I kinda thought I'd be rushing viet cong positions with huey and napalm but instead you are throwing knives at GIs in the jungle.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Any of you guys play Solium Infernum? I just dug up my copy and was thinking of organizing a multiplayer game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I would 100% be in if we could get a few people signed up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

Any goon willing to take the dive? I was kinda burnt with men of war: Vietnam. I kinda thought I'd be rushing viet cong positions with huey and napalm but instead you are throwing knives at GIs in the jungle.

Bad luck, I think - Men of War Vietnam was the real bad one out of the series.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Alikchi posted:

Any of you guys play Solium Infernum? I just dug up my copy and was thinking of organizing a multiplayer game.

I am in. Fair warning though: I am terrible at the game and barely know the rules.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

vyshka posted:

Is there actually anything worth getting in Universe? Everything I read about it just seems to be a big patch to make modding easier.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Alikchi posted:

Riso posted:

I am in. Fair warning though: I am terrible at the game and barely know the rules.

HERE! HERE! HERE!

I've tried to do an LP of it twice, but people have flaked on it.

Fake edit - Apparently three times, by my "Failed LP's" folder.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

So besides John Tiller, what's good on the iPad? Just got one and looking to waste more money on this dumb habit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I keep hearing about Solium Infernum; what is it?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Is there actually anything worth getting in Universe? Everything I read about it just seems to be a big patch to make modding easier.

Not unless you want the Steam key it comes with.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Chump Farts posted:

So besides John Tiller, what's good on the iPad? Just got one and looking to waste more money on this dumb habit.

The Shenandoah studios games bulge and moscow are pretty much a must buy.

I'll also play solium infernum.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 17, 2014

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

dtkozl posted:

The Shenandoah studios games bulge and moscow are pretty much a must buy.

Have Bulge on my phone but I heard single player Moscow is really poor.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Neruz posted:

I keep hearing about Solium Infernum; what is it?

Battle for control of Hell.

http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/SI/Solium_Infernum.html

Rock, Paper, Shotgun play the game:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/03/solium-infernum-the-complete-battle-for-hell/

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Huh, that looks pretty interesting if you have people to play it with.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Sadly you can only really play over PBEM. The engine is some weird Adobe poo poo they discontinued years ago.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Chump Farts posted:

Have Bulge on my phone but I heard single player Moscow is really poor.

Yeah if you only want single player stuff then I'd probably stay away from their games.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Solium Infernum posted:

1. Alikchi
2. uPen
3. Riso
4. Grey Hunter
5. dtkozl

PBEM is 6 players max, anyone else want in on this?

e: missed someone.

uPen fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 17, 2014

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Riso posted:

Pick king maker then pick grey hunter to win the game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dtkozl posted:

Pick king maker then pick grey hunter to win the game.

Please don't tell everyone my strategy.

For people who haven't played Solium Infernum: When you're making your demon prince one of the abilities you can pick is king maker. When you pick King Maker you pick another player, if that player wins the game then he actually loses and you win.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
What happens if we all pick king maker and pick grey?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Grey loses and we all tie.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
What happens if Player 1 picks kingmaker and picks player 2 to win, player 2 does the same for player 3, and so on all around the circle until player 6 takes kingmaker and picks player 1 to win?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The player who picked the original winner wins, this is all in the rules you guys. :colbert:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
There's also a perk where you end up winning if you're the vassal of the winner. The problem is, I don't know why anyone who didn't have that perk would accept blood vassalship.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Wait, so if you pick kingmaker, whoever you choose can't win the game? That seems pretty awful for that person.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

blackmongoose posted:

Wait, so if you pick kingmaker, whoever you choose can't win the game? That seems pretty awful for that person.

Hell is not ruled by timidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
If you wipe out the guy who is Kingmaking you, can you then safely win? If so, just savagely assault anyone who appears to be helping you out.