Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Karnegal posted:

This is a good article, people should read it.

It was an illuminating read but I'm confused by the conclusion. From my lay perspective, it seems as though he spends most of the article talking about how WOTC's claims are weak, spurious, etc., and then predicts that Wizards will win on patent claims and has a good shot at winning on copyright claims. I don't see how he got around to that conclusion unless he's just really cynical about who the judge will probably favor, or assumes that the discovery phase will reveal poo poo that is damning to Cryptozoic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vincent Valentine posted:

This is actually the most important part, since Wizards wants to use a jury.

Yeah, Wizards asking for a jury trial is the tipoff that this is basically a patent troll case. If they thought they had a case and facts they could win on, for something this inherently complicated, they'd ask for a judge; they want the jury because a jury can be confused.

JerryLee posted:

It was an illuminating read but I'm confused by the conclusion. From my lay perspective, it seems as though he spends most of the article talking about how WOTC's claims are weak, spurious, etc., and then predicts that Wizards will win on patent claims and has a good shot at winning on copyright claims. I don't see how he got around to that conclusion unless he's just really cynical about who the judge will probably favor, or assumes that the discovery phase will reveal poo poo that is damning to Cryptozoic.

I had the same reaction.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

JerryLee posted:

I think his feeling is that random person X is going to have a hard time distinguishing between the two if the case goes to jury, which is speculation not necessarily rooted in his legal experience. The patent claim actually seems like their best shot from everything I've read. I had always assumed that they wouldn't monetize the game until the WotC patent expired, so that seems like a potential problem.

The comments on the article have some other lawyers chiming in too.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I think I'm going to leave the Magic thread alone, the people there seem to be very anti-Hex, and there's no point in arguing. It's a shame, I play both games and like them for their differences.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Karnegal posted:

I think his feeling is that random person X is going to have a hard time distinguishing between the two if the case goes to jury, which is speculation not necessarily rooted in his legal experience. The patent claim actually seems like their best shot from everything I've read. I had always assumed that they wouldn't monetize the game until the WotC patent expired, so that seems like a potential problem.

The comments on the article have some other lawyers chiming in too.

If a normal person, IE a standard consumer, has an issue telling the products apart, there may in fact be issues with similarity!

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
This is probably just me being an ignorant cynic, but I guess my worry with a jury is less that they might be confused about the nuances of copyright/patent/trademark laws (though that seems probable as well, since even on the basic level it's a little confusing), and less that they literally won't be able to tell the cards apart (though that could also be probable), and more that they might be well enough misled by Wizards's lawyers, and have certain opinions already, that they just froth at the mouth over the basic level of "copycatting" of, or tribute that Hex pays to Magic, going along with any "backdoor copyright" arguments, as Linn phrased it, that Wizards makes as a result. Hopefully I'm just being stupid.

All Nines fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 15, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
^^^^ You can always have the potential that they're won over by Big mean corp is trying to gently caress the little guy. Juries are really stupid.

Esser-Z posted:

If a normal person, IE a standard consumer, has an issue telling the products apart, there may in fact be issues with similarity!

yeah that's what he;s saying. I'm saying, I don't know if his assessment about the average person is correct. I think they could tell the two apart unless you get people who give no fucks and aren't actually paying attention.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I would expect that the odds of this getting in front of a jury is minimal.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?

Karnegal posted:

^^^^ You can always have the potential that they're won over by Big mean corp is trying to gently caress the little guy. Juries are really stupid.

That's what I'm hoping for, yeah. If it gets in front of a jury (ideally it'll go like Pinwiz says), it probably comes down to which kind of bias wins out.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I read the same article. One judge getting one case wrong because he doesn't understand video games doesn't necessarily mean all prior law is invalid. Based on the other five cases in that article Hex should be in the clear, but who knows what a judge will actually rule, because judges are old men who don't understand things.

I have a hard time believing the patent claim will end up mattering that much. From everything I've read so far the patent is going to expire in September if it hasn't already. By the point this goes to trial, won't the patent issue have become largely moot?

I hear Hex's favorite Queen album is the one that was the defacto soundtrack to Highlander.

Sorry, just wanted to make that joke. Carry on.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I would expect that the odds of this getting in front of a jury is minimal.

Seeing as how Wizards asked for a jury, I think you're wrong.

EDIT: Unless the Hex team just rolls over now, but they didn't do that during negotiations, so...

Brownhat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 15, 2014

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Does a judge have to accept the request for a jury? Can he say "what the hell, there's no way a jury can give a good verdict on IP law"

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Brownhat posted:

Seeing as how Wizards asked for a jury, I think you're wrong.

EDIT: Unless the Hex team just rolls over now, but they didn't do that during negotiations, so...

Just requesting one doesn't mean they'll get one. You can also ask for an injunction which they're unlikely to get.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I really wish they would put up the AH so there would be something else to focus on besides a lawsuit where we might be out tens/hundreds of dollars.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

WotC would probably get a lot more sympathy if their online client wasn't a steaming pile. Hex is a pretty blatant ripoff, but at least they are actually delivering something that looks like an online client. If the MTGO client was built a lot better, I'd probably play that all the time instead and never have looked at Hex.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've given up worrying about the lawsuit stuff; there is nothing I can do to change the outcome and so why should I take on the burden of thinking about it too hard?

Though I will be opening a few more packs than I had originally planned + using all my non-expiring draft tickets, because no point not having fun with what we have now right?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
You know, I haven't really stopped playing this game ever since I got into Alpha back in last October or so.

Don't think I've ever really liked a game that much since, well, City of Heroes.

:smith:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We should draft over the weekend then - I'll have about 21 tickets to blow through :D

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

Grim posted:

We should draft over the weekend then - I'll have about 21 tickets to blow through :D

I'm planning on drafting pretty much all day tomorrow. Probably all day Sunday. Got to get it while the getting's good.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
I want to draft all weekend but I have stupid responsibilities and junk. :smith:

I did however draft some early friday morning and went 2-1 with a blood/diamond aggro-artifact deck. I started out going mono blood but when two volcannons are passed to you and you already have some decent standalone robots, you don't say no. The semi-final was against streamer HexHavoc and I let him know I wasn't going to cheese and stream gaze him. He didn't have enough answers to my volcannons but he was a good sport about it. The finals were against a crazy blood deck with eternal guardian, 4x call to the grave and me with no reasonable answers.

Then I drafted another round and failed out in the first round thanks to shard screw. :v:

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 16, 2014

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm not liking the radio silence from Hex, they've been completely inactive on both Twitter and their website since the 13th, after tweeting every day before that. I think this means one of two things. If we're lucky, it means that Hex is in serious settlement negotiations with Wizards, they are close to reaching an agreement, and they don't want to complicate matters by saying anything. The other scenario is that they were blindsided by the lawsuit and are in absolute crisis mode, scrambling to find counsel and formulate a strategy.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I think it's more likely they've been instructed to keep quiet until an official legal response has been made, just to be careful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Konstantin posted:

I'm not liking the radio silence from Hex, they've been completely inactive on both Twitter and their website since the 13th, after tweeting every day before that. I think this means one of two things. If we're lucky, it means that Hex is in serious settlement negotiations with Wizards, they are close to reaching an agreement, and they don't want to complicate matters by saying anything. The other scenario is that they were blindsided by the lawsuit and are in absolute crisis mode, scrambling to find counsel and formulate a strategy.

I think both of those are unlikely. I'm pretty sure there was discussion of the danger of a potential lawsuit back during the kickstarter and from what I remember CZE was pretty clear that they had consulted with lawyers and believed they were on solid legal ground. So I doubt this lawsuit "blindsided" them, though I'm sure it isn't pleasant for them, either. You can be prepared to take a punch but it still hurts when it lands.

More frighteningly, I'm not sure this is a case that settles easily. I think Wizards wants to shut the company down because it's too good a competitor to MTGO and Wizards exists to sell physical cards first, which Hex can't do. I also think Cory is going to be personally almost fanatically opposed to selling out to WotC -- the game is his baby and he's a creature of passion. So I'm not sure how they find common ground there.

The most likely explanation for the radio silence is just that they're spending a lot of time right now conferring with their lawyers. If they don't have some public statement by the end of the week, yeah, that could be worrisome.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

Konstantin posted:

The other scenario is that they were blindsided by the lawsuit and are in absolute crisis mode, scrambling to find counsel and formulate a strategy.

I would be more than shocked if they were blindsided by the lawsuit. If they had no previous plans or preparation for this they are pretty much a total failure as company. The issue of copyright and stuff were brought up multiples times during the Kickstarter so I would say it's a very safe bet they were prepared for this. I would assume it's pretty standard practice to also not discuss a lawsuit with your customers, I'm amazing at all the awful threads and posts they are allowing on the official forums even. Well, more awful than normal.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I think it's more likely they've been instructed to keep quiet until an official legal response has been made, just to be careful.

This is almost certainly the case.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Considering how much of the lawsuit quoted blogs, forum posts and even the Hex website I'm not too surprised that they are keeping silent for the moment. I agree that this must be really hard for Cory (and everyone there) considering how passionate he is about Hex, and the fact that he loved playing Magic for so many years. I also hope that doesn't come back to hurt Hex in some way. Thinking back to all the interviews that Cory gave during the Kickstarter I feel like comparisons to Magic were brought up frequently, and he did frequently talk about his history with the game and drawing inspiration from it.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

God Volcannon is SO overpowered in a limited setting. Coupled with so many low cost dwarves and bots that even a deck with decent removal can't keep up, and it is an autowin. Being able to do damage on both turns is just obscene.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It's even worse since there are precisely two instant-speed removal cards that can target non-troop artifacts, and one of those is only temporary removal (Time Ripple and Nature Reigns). Heck, there are only a few other cards at all that can get rid of it. Off the top of my head, Chaos Key (rare), Imp Hoodlums (uncommon), Total Meltdown (rare), and Solitary Confinement (uncommon and you'll never see it if you don't open it).

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

You can also slow it down by kiling dwarves and robots, but that is dicey too. I have a feeling set 2 will be full of anti-artifact cards.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This is really awkward news because I was going to sell a Grand King most likely. I bought in for the pve and to play with a friend, but that friend passed away last year and I'm unsure if I will have time to play. I'd definitely want to play the pve, but they pushed out pvp long before pve was in which is really bothersome to me also.

I think it doesn't matter who is right or wrong. What matters is the $5m in legal fees are a drop in the bucket for hasbro and likely more money than Hex to has to throw at it unless they are going to kickstart a legal defense. That's a little joke in case it's too subtle. I am biased because I think WotC screws their customers hard on MTGO, in cost, prize structure, and client, so my opinion on Hex's legality are colored by that.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Khorne posted:

This is really awkward news because I was going to sell a Grand King most likely. I bought in for the pve and to play with a friend, but that friend passed away last year and I'm unsure if I will have time to play. I'd definitely want to play the pve, but they pushed out pvp long before pve was in which is really bothersome to me also.

Your timing is regrettable then; you could have easily moved the code for a profit a week ago, but I would be leery of putting down more than a hundred for a grand king code at this point given the possibility of the whole thing going tits up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just had a draft where I got shard flooded twice and threshold screwed twice in the 6 games I played :psyduck:

That said Diamond+boulder brutes and dinosaurs is pretty fun.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I just had a draft where I got a Bird of Plenty 5th pick.

Then proceeded not to play blue.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Heh I did the same thing with a Cerulean Mentalist last night. He was by far the best card left, and I didn't think anyone else deserved him. Plus I am short a few in my collection :colbert:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Statement coming early next week.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

In my second draft of beta last night Ruby was really open so I ended up with a mono Ruby deck. The first game in the first round I went up against a nasty mill deck (they had at least two Twisted Fates, Fate Rack, tons of card draw). It was pretty funny watching every single one of my troops get milled in the first game, leaving me just drawing resources and actions. Lost the first game but won the next two and ended up in the finals where I faced another Ruby deck, but he was Ruby/Blood. It came down to game 3 in the final round and even that was a race to the finish. I ended up losing but had a ton of fun in the draft, and it felt great to go to the finals.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I was in a draft last night with a really sick ruby/sapphire midrange aggro deck with just tons of removal. I had 3 Time Ripples, 4 Ruby Lances, 2 Ruby Auras, and 2 Bombsmiths, and I passed at least one more of each. I wasn't low on good creatures either (Gem-Crazed Berserkers, Hellhound, ragebirds, etc). Unfortunately my dog stepped on my surge protector's power button in the middle of a game in the second round and after I got back in game and won that game the victory screen bugged out (no Continue button) and when I relogged the game had auto-conceded for me. I've got a support ticket on it and I'm sure I'll be reimbursed, but that deck was so sick :(

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Does anyone else have way more packs than they used to? I have 356 packs now and 14 primals. I had seven primals and 178 packs yesterday. How did I double my packs? Is it a glitch?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
There was a known graphical glitch that caused assets to double. I discovered it when I first redeemed my code. It doesn't actually double the number of things you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Oh man, I really hoped I had double things.

• Locked thread