Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Guys this is what a free and natural man without shame and self-doubt looks like. We're just filthy haters, all of us. I'm personally taking credit for the direction of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Texas Democratic Party posted:

I think we should all donate $5, it's only fair.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Goddamn.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Man I need to get on this gravy train.

RealityApologist
Mar 29, 2011

ASK me how NETWORKS algorithms NETWORKS will save humanity. WHY ARE YOU NOT THINKING MY THESIS THROUGH FOR ME HEATHENS did I mention I just unified all sciences because NETWORKS :fuckoff:

CheesyDog posted:

Eripsa was posting ITT earlier

dude has no vision and no sustain

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

RealityApologist posted:

That is fine you would just waste your fine life on the D.C. gravy train by drawing magick circles or visions of societies shooting marbles from their eyes or whatever.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RealityApologist posted:

I heard he likes goggles
--Brian Boyko

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Uh just because it doesn't have a Davis-type provision doesn't make it toothless. Public financing for all candidates is fine, but equalization provisions have been struck down since Buckley v. Valeo: "But the concept that government may restrict the speech of some elements of our society in order to enhance the relative voice of others is wholly foreign to the First Amendment".

Yes, God forbid that everyone have an equal amount of speech. gently caress. Just loving goddamn. That's "wholly foreign to the first amendment." Burn this loving country down.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

BUSH 2112 posted:

Yes, God forbid that everyone have an equal amount of speech. gently caress. Just loving goddamn. That's "wholly foreign to the first amendment." Burn this loving country down.

woah man don't give in to impotent rage give to mayone.us and we can rainbow dash to a better democracy

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Mo_Steel posted:

I think he could pull off Chris Farley no problem. We need a straight-man to pair him up with though.
Just get David Spade.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Uh just because it doesn't have a Davis-type provision doesn't make it toothless. Public financing for all candidates is fine, but equalization provisions have been struck down since Buckley v. Valeo: "But the concept that government may restrict the speech of some elements of our society in order to enhance the relative voice of others is wholly foreign to the First Amendment".
Simply putting the nominal election committees on a public-financing system is toothless now because of Citizens United. Great, Smith for Senate and Jones for Senate now have equal financing. This does gently caress all to prevent local millionaires from pouring money into Concerned Citizens Who Think Smith Is A Turdgoblin [not affiliated with any political party or candidate] run by Jones' campaign director from 2012. McComish ensures those donations can't be significantly equalized, while Citizens United ensures they can't be meaningfully restrained.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

for what it's worth, i'm pretty sure brian would already have 5 million us dollars if he just stopped eating so much

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Good to know it's possible to make money by gnashing your teeth and crying for attention while being a brony bitcoiner.

In some cases a lack of self-awareness brings about success.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Where the hell is your chin?!

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
You people are very mean. I'm a shamed of you.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Jagchosis posted:

woah man don't give in to impotent rage give to mayone.us and we can rainbow dash to a better democracy

I keep misreading mayone.us as mayonnaise.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

guys hes found the solution to EVERY POLITICAL PROBLEM IN THE US.

every. one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GoNlrQo2jY

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ernie Muppari posted:

I keep misreading mayone.us as mayonnaise.

why do you think he applied for the job

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Jesus Christ his voice is annoying as gently caress too. OP do you have ANY redeeming qualities at all?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also he voted for Bush.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

BUSH 2112 posted:

The analysis in Buckley was excellent, sorry. Trying to stop people from speaking their mind about political issues is wholly foreign. Inequality is a huge problem, but arresting people for publishing newspaper ads attacking a candidate is not the answer.

As far as Davis goes, the Millionaire's Amendment to BCRA was, like the rest of it, a blatant attempt at protecting incumbents. I'll let the main supporter speak for himself:

John McCain posted:

Everyone is scared to death of waking up in the morning and reading in the newspaper that some Fortune 500 CEO or some heir or heiress is gonna run against them and spend $15 million of their own money.

And an opponent:

Chris Dodd posted:

However, it seems to me this is what I would call incumbency protection. We are all incumbents in the Senate. We raise money all the time during our incumbency.
It isn't exactly level, in a sense, when we are talking about incumbents who have treasuries of significant amounts and the power of the office which allows us to be in the press every day, if we want. We can send franked mail to our constituents at no cost to us. It is a cost of the taxpayer. We do radio and television shows. We can go back to our States with subsidized airfares. We campaign all across our jurisdictions.

The idea that somehow we are sort of impoverished candidates when facing a challenger who may decide they are going to take out a loan, and not necessarily even have the money in the account but may decide to mortgage their house--I don't recommend that as a candidate. But there are people who do it. They go out and mortgage their homes. I presume if you mortgage your house, that is money in your account. It is not distinguished in this amendment. You go into debt.

For people who decide they want to do that and meet that trigger, all of a sudden that allows me as an incumbent to raise, I guess, $3 million at one level, $3,000 at one level, and $6,000 at another. The gates are open, and the race is on.

Elotana posted:

Simply putting the nominal election committees on a public-financing system is toothless now because of Citizens United. Great, Smith for Senate and Jones for Senate now have equal financing. This does gently caress all to prevent local millionaires from pouring money into Concerned Citizens Who Think Smith Is A Turdgoblin [not affiliated with any political party or candidate] run by Jones' campaign director from 2012. McComish ensures those donations can't be significantly equalized, while Citizens United ensures they can't be meaningfully restrained.

Do you really think that someone who watched ten ads for Jones and one ad for Smith is even close as ten times as likely to vote for Jones?

More to the point, the solution to the "problem" is to reduce inequality itself, not try to gag people after the fact.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Also he voted for Bush.

And then left the country after Bush won again. And came back later because it was too difficult to live thousands of miles from the nearest triple cheeseburger and he was too socially inept to make any new friends. And then when he came back he was too busy spending all his time on some vampire videogame to see any of his friends. And now he's a brony blogger wannabe-politician?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"But I really don't get this whole: "You must learn this dead language in order to master the language you speak." No, you certainly do not. I HATED Latin, got nothing out of it, never learned or touched second languages again, but I got a goddamn M.A. in Journalism, because, dammit, I know how to write. My 710 SAT verbal score was dwarfed by my 740 GRE verbal score, and my latin instruction had been completely forgotten by then. (If anything, there is an anecdotal correlation in my case that forgetting Latin made me better at my standardized tests)."

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jagchosis posted:

by ripping off people even dumber than him. you can turn it into a job too, by getting a cisco certification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=248gcCvAIMU

trigger warning for extreme awkwardness

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"I lost my virginity at 29. This is solid advice."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fortunately, he found it again later

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Hey it just occurred to me that he looks like he could be Alex Jones' brony brother.

and both are from Austin...

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

I feel a little weird/bored looking at is reddit but I at least found this:

someone else posted:

I've always wondered what it's like for guys with hot sisters/moms/cousins.

lessig's dirty slut posted:

Well, you just don't act on it. Especially if your sister's married to the King. That's just asking for freakin' trouble.

also self identifies as aspergers :O

how the gently caress do people stand reddit?

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 15, 2014

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My father taught special education in an inner-city high school.

One of his students was named...

Well, the name was pronounced "ah-scholl-lee" Brown.

But it was spelled, "rear end in a top hat Brown."

I've always wondered what he got up to in his life, but I'm afraid to Google his name.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
ehhh gently caress it fun's over plz close n goldmine or gas

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
this is too much fun

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Between begging reddit for advice on how to be a welder (and move to australia...last month) and "fellow high-functioning autistic brohoof fistpump" seems like you should consider the merits of separating your social media marketing professional identity from your pony pals identity.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 16, 2014

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

karlor posted:

this is too much fun

NEWMAN!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
countering crony capitalism with brony capitalism

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

karlor posted:

this is too much fun

ok nevermind. the reddit trawling just seemed like it was peering on the precipice of Goons Going Too Far and running it into the ground

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

these are all just... great.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

karlor posted:

this is too much fun

He has a foopa. Oh man this is so awkward.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

karlor posted:

this is too much fun

You know every once in a great while when you're having an incredibly lovely day something comes along and makes everything okay. This is not one of those things.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Slo-Tek posted:

Between begging reddit for advice on how to be a welder (and move to australia...last month) and "fellow high-functioning autistic brohoof fistpump" seems like you should consider the merits of separating your social media marketing professional identity from your pony pals identity.

And it would almost be defensible if he was 15 years old and never knew any other layer of the Internet than social media. But no, he's an Xer just like us, but one who somehow missed out on the purity and beauty of anonymity on the Internet.

You can almost hear him counting up the worthlessness of the decades he had spent playing video games, then desperately choosing to craft for himself a credential out of link karma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Pokemaster #421 posted:

You know every once in a great while when you're having an incredibly lovely day something comes along and makes everything okay. This is not one of those things.

there there it will be ok.

• Locked thread