Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

danbanana posted:

2010 BCBS. Do I even need to say it? All vanilla, chocolate. Booze in the nose but none on the tongue. It's loving perfect. All due respect to GirlKisser, but this beer is the perfect example of how a beer can get better with age. Would drink again.

2014 Bud Light Lime Mango-Rita. Lots of fruit in the nose. Heavy, syrupy sweetness. Definitely mango. Hides the 8% (!!!!) well. Did not come through very much in the chicken I marinated in it. Would probably buy over Mango Magnifico.

Lolol, great horizontal! I actually agree about the mango thing though, I tried it once and it really wasn't bad at all. Just tasted like a decent mango-flavored soda that happened to be 8%.

bartolimu posted:

Avery Maharaja - It's an excellent beer, but holy poo poo do the aromas change as it warms and oxidizes. It went from orange peel to "dank bro" to gym sock, and then into onion territory which I rarely pick up in any beer. Really weird. Flavor remained good throughout, it just jumped around a lot in the aroma department.

Hmm, incredible. The one I drank a couple weeks ago was cold the entire time (I loved it so much, I practically chugged it) but I have another one to be blasted this weekend and I'll pay attention to it over some time to see if I experience the same thing.

krustster fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Phanatic posted:

Basically it was like a skunk crawled out of a decaying Detroit car factory and took a poo poo in my mouth.

new thread title, by the way

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, that's worrisome. any chance it could've been left in a hot car for a few days or something?

was anybody surprised? outside of IPAs (which i don't care for, personally), they make a lot of lovely beer.

I opened mine two weeks after release and I didn't taste any off flavors other then an astringent coffee flavor you get from coffee that has been sitting on your desk all day. The beer just didn't have the complexity of the Vietnamese speedway stout.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

new thread title, by the way

Too long, and I can't shorten it enough and retain the comedy.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Newbie to Deschutes question..

How is Mirror Mirror? I have 2 bottles in my cellar now and it has a little "dont' drink before" date on it.... I'm guessing as a barleywine, properly cellared this thing is going to end up awesome after a few years...

And.. "Not the Stoic" opinions?

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

lazerwolf posted:

This may be my favorite variant of Yeti, I just wish they made it again.

Same :( I might place Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti just a tiny bit ahead because I love the dash of chili heat it has, but Belgian was definitely up there.

Also excited about Alesmith coming to NC, especially if we start to see any of the Speedway variants!

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Jesus gently caress, Speedway is already sold out at the one shop I saw had it. Hopefully it's not a one-off and they'll get more.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Retemnav posted:

Same :( I might place Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti just a tiny bit ahead because I love the dash of chili heat it has, but Belgian was definitely up there.

Also excited about Alesmith coming to NC, especially if we start to see any of the Speedway variants!

I wouldn't get your hopes up for the variants. I've never seen them in Philly. Just the regular stuff. But there's nothing wrong with regular speedway and old Numbskull.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Anderson Valley's Gose is pretty awesome. More salt than Off Color, similar lactic tartness, and not terribly expensive. I foresee a lot of those in my fridge this summer.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vertigo posted:

Newbie to Deschutes question..

How is Mirror Mirror? I have 2 bottles in my cellar now and it has a little "dont' drink before" date on it.... I'm guessing as a barleywine, properly cellared this thing is going to end up awesome after a few years...

I didn't like Mirror Mirror that much. It's fine, not a bad beer by any means. I just didn't find it to have the complexity of other barleywines in the same price range like Sucaba or BCBW. Maybe with some age on it it would improve but I'm skeptical. It wasn't like Bigfoot where it has a bunch of over-the-top flavors that need to mellow out, it was already very mellow to begin with.

Valencia posted:

Jesus gently caress, Speedway is already sold out at the one shop I saw had it. Hopefully it's not a one-off and they'll get more.

When Alesmith came into CO last year, the first couple shipments of Speedway were gone in 5 seconds flat. But they kept coming and now it basically rots on the shelf, available at all times. Give it some time for the hype to die down and you shouldn't have trouble finding some.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 15, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

BoredByThis posted:

Anderson Valley's Gose is pretty awesome. More salt than Off Color, similar lactic tartness, and not terribly expensive. I foresee a lot of those in my fridge this summer.

How's it compare to Westbrook? Anyone? I'm jonesing for Westbrook Gose bad right now

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've had pepper stouts before but never an ale. Picked this up yesterday

Pretty weird though. Not hoppy at all, and pretty thin but you really taste the peppers up front. I've had Space Ghost Stout and that compliments the beer, while this is all fresh from garden jalapeno flavor. It really lingers in your mouth for some time.

I'd say it's a sipper, but sipping it cranks up the heat even more. I'm going to hold onto the rest and see how it tastes with a burger in the hot sun.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

cryme posted:

How's it compare to Westbrook? Anyone? I'm jonesing for Westbrook Gose bad right now

Charleston Beer Exchange just got more. If I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it'd be Westbrook Gose.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
We ended up blasting the Maharaja tonight and I didn't notice any of that weirdness with the smell, but it WAS a lot more bitter than the last one, and not quite as good. After decoding the bottle date information on the internet, it turns out that it was from early February, so I guess this is one that "drops off" a little quicker.

Furthermore I obtained some Shorts Anniversary Ale and it turned out to be refreshing and drinkable for a 10% wheatwine. It's mostly juicy orange with a hint of peppercorn. Not at all what I expected, and 100% delicious.

krustster fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 16, 2014

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

The Bunk posted:

Speaking of Speedway Stout, I just saw that Alesmith is about to start distributing to NC.

poo poo yea. Besides Speedway what does Alesmith make that is worth picking up?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

they're pretty solid across the board- if it gets distro and you like the style, i'd say you're safe picking up a bottle... except for maybe My Bloody Valentine, i found it to be kind of whatever (not bad though, just not $12-15 bomber good)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Well, poo poo. Due to the wildfires, the area where Stone is is evacuating. Stone's got some video:

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/05/15/time-lapse-video-shows-growing-wildfires/#axzz31suMxsLs

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Josh Wow posted:

Don't recommend My Bloody Valentine. I liked Old Numbskull and Decadence, but those are all I've tried besides SS.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Josh Wow posted:

Alesmith IPA is the most precise execution of the style definition ever produced. It's not a hop bomb West Coast IPA, and it's not a malt-forward East Coaster either. It's just the platonic ideal of an IPA: dry, hoppy, balanced, with distinct bitterness and hop aroma.

Their Wee Heavy is drat good too, and as exactly to-style as the IPA. You really can't go wrong picking up anything Alesmith IMO.

Phanatic posted:

Well, poo poo. Due to the wildfires, the area where Stone is is evacuating. Stone's got some video:

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/05/15/time-lapse-video-shows-growing-wildfires/#axzz31suMxsLs
San Marcos evacuated a couple of days ago - my friend runs a new restaurant there and he's been forced to stay closed. Rip Current and Lost Abbey are both within a couple miles of his place, as is Churchill's. I'm not sure if any of them have been closed but it wouldn't surprise me.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

bartolimu posted:

Alesmith IPA is the most precise execution of the style definition ever produced. It's not a hop bomb West Coast IPA, and it's not a malt-forward East Coaster either. It's just the platonic ideal of an IPA: dry, hoppy, balanced, with distinct bitterness and hop aroma.

I would give that award to Two Hearted instead, but Alesmith IPA is a drat good example.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

cryme posted:

I haven't had Westbrook's Gose to compare, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Anderson Vally cans.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

crazyfish posted:

I would give that award to Two Hearted instead, but Alesmith IPA is a drat good example.

It's the way I feel about Blind Pig, and why I think Blind Pig is a better IPA than PtE is a DIPA: Drink that beer and tell me what you want an IPA to do that it doesn't.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Phanatic posted:

It's the way I feel about Blind Pig, and why I think Blind Pig is a better IPA than PtE is a DIPA: Drink that beer and tell me what you want an IPA to do that it doesn't.

I agree with this entirely.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BoredByThis posted:

I haven't had Westbrook's Gose to compare, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Anderson Vally cans.
I've made a habit of trying every gose in can lay my hands on, and we get plenty of Anderson valley stuff here so I guess I need to keep an eye out now.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Went to The Bavarian Lodge last night and they still had some good Revolution beers on tap. I tried Gravedigger Billy, a bourbon barrel aged scotch ale. Sweet, toffee/caramel flavors, no burn from the alcohol, maybe some vanilla as it warmed up. It was really drat good. I also had the Revolution 3rd Year Beer, a wheatwine aged in rum barrels. I liked this one at first, but after half the glass, as it warmed up, the sweetness just got to be overpowering. It was still a solid beer. Lastly, had a wild ale from an Italian Brewer, Loverbeer BeerBrugna. This was a delicious sour, citrusy ale. It is brewed with plums, then fermented with brett and lactobacilus (or however it is spelled), then fermented with more plums, and then aged in oak barrels. loving great beer.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

BelgiumInABox just got a 2014 Westvleteren 12 gift box in.. it's not as cool looking as the old one, and it's $110. Pass.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Hi beer thread. I'm up in Rhode island this weekend, any good regional brews out here I should try?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Hi beer thread. I'm up in Rhode island this weekend, any good regional brews out here I should try?

helps to know where you're from and what you like, but breweries i like from up that way are Allagash, Smuttynose, Berkshire, Cisco, Southampton, Mayflower, and Sebago. there are plenty of other great New England breweries, but i don't think they necessarily get distribution in RI

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Just hit up http://seekabrew.com/ if you aren't going to give us info :p

e: Also, wooo, I picked up some Citra rear end Down. I didn't expect to see all the Against the Grain beers when I went to the bottle shop.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 16, 2014

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

ChickenArise posted:

Just hit up http://seekabrew.com/ if you aren't going to give us info :p

e: Also, wooo, I picked up some Citra rear end Down. I didn't expect to see all the Against the Grain beers when I went to the bottle shop.

Is it worth the high price? It's like $16 a bomber right?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

87 on BA, DIPA, $16 bomber?

Pass.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'll find out! They said the magic word. (any citra pun will do) FWIW grabbing the last one from the shelf at the last minute convinced the cashier to give me a 'case discount' so it was more like $14 and change :smith:

e: In other news for NoVA, we now get Velvet Merlin. I haven't been to bottle shops in too long. The Anderson Valley Gose and GL Lake Erie Monster are around now too, and I picked up Parallel 49's Salty Scot because it was cheap.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 17, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

I'll find out! They said the magic word. (any citra pun will do) FWIW grabbing the last one from the shelf at the last minute convinced the cashier to give me a 'case discount' so it was more like $14 and change :smith:

e: In other news for NoVA, we now get Velvet Merlin. I haven't been to bottle shops in too long. The Anderson Valley Gose and GL Lake Erie Monster are around now too, and I picked up Parallel 49's Salty Scot because it was cheap.

next time you're in RVA keep an eye out for Extra Billy's Citra-rear end Down, it's supposed to be really good. it might be listed by another name, though...

hadn't had Merlin in a long time and, wow, it really does taste like the Trader Joe's oatmeal stout (that FW used to make)... except it costs almost twice as much

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm drinking a New Glarus Berliner Weiss right now. Crisp, tart, dry finish, refreshing, low alcohol, perfect for this summer. Delicious. I'm going to have to pick up a case of this in addition to the 2 4 packs I have right now. So good. I also got a free Duvel tulip glass from Binny's for buying a 4 pack of their beer :hellyeah:

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Where are you guys that ATG is so expensive? Here in the Northern KY/Cincinnati area they're usually 9 bucks a bomber, with the exception of their barrel-aged stuff and the All Funked Up beers. Even then they're like 13 bucks max... Definitely not daily-drinker prices but I feel like I get my money's worth very time I pick up a bottle.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Since I'm literally buried in rare-ish beers I have decided to eat a KBS and a Black Note toinght. Not really to compare, since they aren't that similar, but for fun I guess. KBS kind of surprises me when I think about it... compared to the regular Founders Imperial Stout it's surprisingly thin. Not bad thin, but the FIS is almost like a sludge, totally opaque. KBS looks more like a normal stout. Maybe sacrilege to say it here, but I think I like it a little better than Bourbon County Coffee. It's not as coffee forward as that one, and also not as coffee forward as Breakfast Stout, but it also doesn't have that lingering tart oak "cabernet sauvignon" aftertaste that kind of distracts from my enjoyment of the various BCBS tapes. The carbonation is also a lot better, not overdone, but creamy and appealing, where the BCBS's have that weird fizzy/flat feel (like a soda that's been sitting out too long) to them. The taste itself is really well balanced. It doesn't stand out in any one area, but everything comes together very nicely. I wouldn't go out of my way to chase single bottles for $10 or whatever, but at retail price, its reputation is well deserved. And also: I think this was the first big name craft beer I ever had, back in like 2008 or so. I found a couple of singles and thought "wow, 5 bucks for a bottle? this is probably really good!" I don't remember the exact year, but it was back when it still had the list of ailments it could treat on the label or whatever.

Furthermore how do people compare KBS to Big Bad Baptist? I had a few chances to buy it in Madison and balked, then ended up having to ask for the last secret bottle in Grand Rapids for an inflated price. I think it was close to $20 at Rishi's International Beverages. I didn't see the price since it was his "personal bottle" that he "was going to drink later" or whatever (probably not). No big deal though, because that guy was awesome and that particular shopping trip was one of the very few times when I've felt that ~customer service~ was worth the premium price. Anyway it's the only one I have and I'm saving it for the right time. Is it SO GOOD or should I just blast it and maybe buy more when I go back to Madison in August?

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down

funkybottoms posted:

next time you're in RVA keep an eye out for Extra Billy's Citra-rear end Down, it's supposed to be really good. it might be listed by another name, though...

I'm a huge ATG fanboy, but I will say Citra-rear end Down > Citra rear end Down! Was extremely impressed with all of The Answer/Extra Billy's stuff at DLD.

So what do you all know about the batch variation of Big Bad Baptist? I picked up 4 bottles of one of the more recent batches (#28) in February, and was completely blown away by it. Tons of smooth coffee flavor, a good barrel character. would put it JUST behind BCBCS as my favorite coffee stout. A friend opened one of the earlier batches (#19) the other night, and it was just a ton of bitter coffee, no barrel or boozy sweetness at all, kinda thin. On their website it looks like the batches vary quite a bit on ABV%, and time in the barrels. They were like two totally different beers, #28 was world class, #19 was just another too much coffee stout.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

umop apisdn posted:

So what do you all know about the batch variation of Big Bad Baptist? I picked up 4 bottles of one of the more recent batches (#28) in February, and was completely blown away by it. Tons of smooth coffee flavor, a good barrel character. would put it JUST behind BCBCS as my favorite coffee stout. A friend opened one of the earlier batches (#19) the other night, and it was just a ton of bitter coffee, no barrel or boozy sweetness at all, kinda thin. On their website it looks like the batches vary quite a bit on ABV%, and time in the barrels. They were like two totally different beers, #28 was world class, #19 was just another too much coffee stout.

This technique.... I was was asking about that beer in the post right before yours (which you probably were already typing as I posted). You read my mind,,,,

I don't remember exactly what it was, but I did read about the batches at some point and it appeared that they actually have been using different ingredients in different batches, so that would probably explain the differences.

edit: after checking, those two batches had the exact same ingredients, so ????? :downs:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Had a nice pub/shopping crawl with the family today. Highlights:

Chardonnay Barrel Aged Saison at Denver Beer Co. I didn't get to ask the staff for specifics, but it was obviously hit with Lacto and aged on Chard barrels and goddamn it was delicious. Like, this is something I would drink all summer and I think it is a legitimately great beer. Wonderful fruit ester and coriander notes with a really nice tang on the finish. It was super refreshing and it seemed basically everyone at the taproom was drinking some.

Incredible Pedal IPA by Denver Beer Co. Basically an Odell IPA clone done with Citra, Eldorado, and some other hop. I completely love Eldorado hops and this IPA delivered incredible clean bitterness with some nice stone fruit up front. An absolute knock out.

Ludwig Kolsch by Denver Beer Co. Tasted a lot like Goose Island Summertime which is one of my all time favorite seasonal beers. Sweet, slightly citrusy, and incredibly drinkable. Not as dry as a traditional continental kolsch, but very, very satisfying and an ultimate thirst quencher. DBC as a cycling destination for some refreshment in the form of Ludwig may be in my future.

Visited Stem Ciders and this should be on your list if you come to Denver for GABF this year. They had four ciders on tap and all were very good. Each was quite dry but they all had unique character. Malice was extremely apple-forward and the greenness and crisp nature of the apple was front and center. Remedy was the weakest because the hops clashed with the underlying cider profile. La Chene was like a very high class Woodchuck in that it was extremely apple-y but also somewhat sweet without being cloying--I attribute this to a honey and vinous sweetness that came from the red zin barrel aging. Highlight was Banjo, their BBA cider. The aroma was almost entirely bourbon dominated and this translated into excellent taste where the apple rounded out the bourbon barrel character. It's a knockout and they have a pretty nice, if small, taproom.

Finally, Mountain Sun/Vine Street still makes good beer. Their Hop Vivant IIPA was a great, uh, beer-a-tizer while the Nitro Illusion Dweller IPA went perfectly with my carrot hummus and date/goat cheese/bacon burger.

tldr Visit Denver, we have great booze, and I'll also tell you where to go for the best of it if you promise to buy me a beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vertigo posted:

Opened mine tonight so I'll give an opinion on it. It's pretty drat good.

Between the pomegranate molasses and the wine barrels there's a definite red fruit note to it, especially cold. I get some rye spiciness in there too, but it's subtle. As it warms up I get a lot more Belgian yeast esters, good balance of banana/clove that integrates well with the barrel notes and malts. I loved Stoic when it came out; I don't love this as much but it's definitely a well crafted beer.