Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
There's a ton of action at lower than 150 just run into a bellfry for me to mace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

masato tatanka posted:

BoB & Blue Sentinels are fundamentally hosed to progress in. It makes no sense that the invader covenant progresses by dueling, and the honorable justice covenant would progress by invading. Now that PVP finally functions it makes little sense and is full of people using the same stuff. It was never this bad in either of the other Souls games.

Here is a bingo card of things that almost everybody uses some combination of:
  • Monastery Scimitar
  • Santier's Spear (Resonant Weapon)
  • Chaos Blade (Resonant Weapon)
  • Avelyn (2x Mundane)
  • Bat Staff (Dark Fog)
  • Gower's Ring of Protection
  • Jester's Robe
  • Havel's Set

I don't get why they took the emphasis and convenience out of invading and loving with people in this one. That was the drawing feature of the series and it's been replaced by a bunch of bowing babies engaging in honorable samurai combat on the computer video game. I hate you from software !!!! I hate you I am going to make you pay !! You should call yourselves From Bad Software more like that is what would be appropriate since you like to put stuff in the video game that is bad!

My experience has been pretty different, or maybe it's because I only remember the good fights, but all the interesting fights I've had are against people with sunlight blade old whips or power stanced halberds or a dude who had power stanced rapiers who had mastered dodging and slowly wore me down over several pokes in over the course of a couple minutes while I whiffed all my shots. Everyone going for the maximum tryhard poo poo has invariably been terrible.

I'm glad that the monastery scimitar has gotten huge though, people use it as a crutch and beating them is as simple as just sprinting forward and not attacking to bait out their parry, then stunlocking their rear end until they manage to roll out of it.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

ImPureAwesome posted:

There's a ton of action at lower than 150 just run into a bellfry for me to mace

Without a doubt.
Im talking Brotherhood of blood invasions/ Blue sents.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Gorp posted:

Since we're all bitching about PvP let me ask.
Why is the average player level (pvp level) 150? At that point all builds become the same due to diminishing returns. There's no variation like in DS1.

People were assuming diminishing returns would be closer to 40, rather than 30, and with equip load being split from END, and ADP not being worthless like RES, the consensus was that 150 would be somewhat comparable to DS1 120.

Spices messes with this further.
Anyway, remember there was like a 200+ meta bracket in DS1, so there was a similar group of people (never met any of them) pushing for 250+.

It doesn't even matter. It's all around SM anyway, so the longer you play, the more you will see

masato tatanka posted:

• Monastery Scimitar
  • Santier's Spear (Resonant Weapon)
  • Chaos Blade (Resonant Weapon)
  • Avelyn (2x Mundane)
  • Bat Staff (Dark Fog)
  • Gower's Ring of Protection
  • Jester's Robe
  • Havel's Set

Particularly Havel's and Avelyn.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Of all of DSII problems, one stands out as especially egregious.

There is not a single headbutt, dropkick, elbow drop, or suplex in the fistypuch moveset. :colbert:

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

I wish they'd added more fist weapons. There's the caestus, claws, and I guess the ring you get from the CoC covenant.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Gorp posted:

Without a doubt.
Im talking Brotherhood of blood invasions/ Blue sents.

Because :airquote:serious:airquote: Dark Souls PvPers are basically the most boring people imaginable. In a game with dozens of weapons and a ton of different ways to fight, so many will use the same build over and over. If they fought at lower SLs than they might not have enough levels to wield every broken weapon in the game! How can I fight if I my character can't use satiner's spear, avelyn, and fast roll in Havel's? Its just impossible!

y_3 posted:

I wish they'd added more fist weapons. There's the caestus, claws, and I guess the ring you get from the CoC covenant.

I wish the fist weapons other than the caestus were worth a drat. I wanted to powerstance the hook arms but they do pitiful damage, relying on bleed without even attacking fast enough to build it up consistently.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Is it worth me using all my petrified somethings to full upgrade the Dragonrider bow?

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Flytrap posted:

Of all of DSII problems, one stands out as especially egregious.

There is not a single headbutt, dropkick, elbow drop, or suplex in the fistypuch moveset. :colbert:

If the Caestus/Barehanded backstab animation was a suplex I'd use nothing else.

e: Also, I think a big reason that PVP is higher level in this game is SM making it so that you can't just park a character at a certain level, since you'll eventually get bumped into a higher SM bracket from PVP winnings even if you avoid leveling up.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish the fist weapons other than the caestus were worth a drat. I wanted to powerstance the hook arms but they do pitiful damage, relying on bleed without even attacking fast enough to build it up consistently.

I'm still kinda annoyed that bleed claws aren't viable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Really paying attention to the boss weapons, its a bit disappointing how bad most seem. Bone scythe seems cool though for ignoring shields. Is mytha's blade worth using without spending bones on?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just got summoned to some guy's world in Huntsman's Copse who then got "invaded" by two red spirit fat sickle enemies. What the heck was that?

In other new the Copse is kicking my rear end.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Regy Rusty posted:

I just got summoned to some guy's world in Huntsman's Copse who then got "invaded" by two red spirit fat sickle enemies. What the heck was that?

That's just what happens there in NG+.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm pretty sure the arena is hard to get into because it only actually searches for an opponent for a second or two after you kneel there. In my experience I've never found an opponent after waiting for more than a second or two- if you want to get in just back out after the kneeling animation finishes and try again.

Of course it's a better idea to never fight in the arena at all, because it is a terrible place dominated by lag problems and you will have zero enjoyable matches. Just farm ascetics and loot cracked red eye orbs off a corpse somewhere.

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 15, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Regy Rusty posted:

There was no invasion, your host was in NG+. In NG+ there are additional spawns in the form of red spirit versions of the usual enemies.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tetracube posted:

I'm pretty sure the arena is hard to get into because it only actually searches for an opponent for a second or two after you kneel there. In my experience I've never found an opponent after waiting for more than a second or two- if you want to get in just press b after the kneeling animation finishes and try again.

This is not true. I did some arena fighting earlier today, it absolutely continues to search the whole time you're kneeling. It can just take a little while sometimes.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Olewithmilk posted:

Is it worth me using all my petrified somethings to full upgrade the Dragonrider bow?

It's a good bow that's a bit slower than the shortbow. Hits way harder than the shortbow, though. If nothing else in the boss weapon screens have caught your eye, go for it.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Hexer 1-shots and Havelyns completely turned me off high level PvP, though I can't say I'll never dip in again as I like that spike of Blue Sentinel activity that happens right at the beginning of NG+. Sub-800K SM BoB arena in Europe had only 50% of players scoring one square on the bingo card making it kind of tolerable. Soul Memory is working for me at de-twinking the game.

Found a very ghetto soft-counter to twinblade movesets. The Sun Ring will often proc twice or more off the flurry move giving you some free damage and possibly staggers a little as well? Maybe it was just surprising people with explosions everywhere.

Is there a list of armor pieces that have special effects? I'm looking for a caster headpiece without high INT requirements.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

King of Solomon posted:

This is not true. I did some arena fighting earlier today, it absolutely continues to search the whole time you're kneeling. It can just take a little while sometimes.

This is correct. Also if you're watching a video or playing music on your computer, Dark Souls 2 will mute it when an invasion occurs. So what you can do is kneel at the statue and then alt+tab out of the game to do whatever. If you have some music playing, you'll know when you've found a match since it will be muted. That way you don't have to sit there watching your character kneel for a minute!

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Just had an arena fight with a guy in full Havels + flash sweat.... On the bridge map, also he was a caster. So he spend the entire match spamming heavy soul arrow across the bridge. I get behind him and backstab him with a Greatclub +10 for half of his health, After he gets up, he begins spamming Soul Great Sword, backstab punch misses stationary target, no stamina, dead.

Maybe it's time for NG+

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I found another sword I like as much as the drangelic sword! Now I'm trying to pump dex to dualwield it and the bastard sword. I could dual wield the zweihander and the bastard right now though, but that seems kind of bad. Can you dual-wield the bent blade and a caestus? If not I'm making a pair of poison fists instead of just the one. It's weird playing as a no-magic dude; infusions are mostly pointless for me, but I'm squishing dudes with the biggest shield I've got and second biggest (because I hate ultra swords' moveset) sword. It's a lot easier in a lot of cases.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had the netcode change its mind twice in the middle of my backstab, eventually deciding to put him on the ground and do damage to me instead. I wish they'd just display a connection rating on summon signs. Its silly that summoning a coop buddy can suddenly make all the enemies start sliding around.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, I have a pirate build for invading in Wharf, and the hook is just the worst weapon I have ever used. Just about every other weapon can be effective by virtue of just ranging your opponent effectively, and things usually work out. The hook is just god awful. Any other weapon is better than the hook, but miles. Unless there is some sort of unique effect associated with the hook I am unaware of then I don't think there is a worse weapon in the entire game. Nothing even comes close to how bad the work hook is.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The most ridiculous lag I've ever seen was when I fought a guy in the arena and he's just standing completely still. Afk I guess, oh well free kill. Oh wait, he's not taking any damage, so is he hacking? Then he suddenly starts moving, only he completely ignores me and runs across the bridge to my side of the arena. He starts swinging around at thin air, and at this point I figure something is messed up so I dig out my black crystal. Before I can use it though, I get pulled out of the menu and flung across the bridge onto the other guys sword, instantly killed by a backstab. Now while my corpse is fading away, I see him start to take damage. He takes enough damage to die from it, stunlocked by an invisible force.

So what happened was, the game lagged so hard we had time to kill each other in our respective games, and when it reconnected us it didn't know what the gently caress to do. So for a few moments we existed in this state between life and death where we were able to kill each other whilst being dead ourselves.

:darksouls:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 16, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just beat the Skeleton Lords. That was a really fun fight. I almost had them on my first try only to be blindsided by SKELETON WHEEL OUT OF NOWHERE. Still have the chariot in the area to do, but I'm dreading going through that boss run again.

It's a little annoying that I still don't have access to unlimited titanite shards. It limits how much I can experiment with other weapons when I can't upgrade 'em a bit to match damage with the falchion I've been using. But at least I have pyromancy again. Flame Swathe was incredible on the Skeleton lords.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Is it somehow possible to lose your small white sign soapstone? Pate is gone and so is my small white sign soapstone.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Xeras posted:

Is it somehow possible to lose your small white sign soapstone? Pate is gone and so is my small white sign soapstone.

Pate only gives the regular white soapstone. The small white soapstone is in a chest above the bonfire.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I finally managed to both invade and actually kill someone in the belfry, although it was a double kill and I went first so I don't think it counted.

But still, now I feel bad for ganking someone else. It made me think of how frustrated I got trying to do something and getting obliterated by someone else, and now I'm the bad guy. :(

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

A host, a red, a white and a blue, the dark souls that was promised. :unsmith:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Araganzar posted:

Turns out Old Ben was right about this team up getting him into trouble!
I'm pretty sure I got summoned by you guys last week.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Flame Swathe was incredible on the Skeleton lords.

Flame Swathe is incredible against the everything, besides particularly fire-resistant things.

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.
After reading about the Gravelord covenant in DS I was really hoping DS2 would have some kind of invading covenant that involved messing with people rather than straight up murdering them, like floating around as a ghost, making noises, setting traps, activating/possessing monsters etc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The bone scythe is fun as hell guys.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Orgone Accumulator posted:

After reading about the Gravelord covenant in DS I was really hoping DS2 would have some kind of invading covenant that involved messing with people rather than straight up murdering them, like floating around as a ghost, making noises, setting traps, activating/possessing monsters etc.

You're kind of looking for the rat covenant.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Orgone Accumulator posted:

you can ring all the ghost summoning bells in undead crypt as a red phantom

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

you can ring all the ghost summoning bells in undead crypt as a red phantom

Pray they don't have a giant's seed, though.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Internet Kraken posted:

So for a few moments we existed in this state between life and death where we were able to kill each other whilst being dead ourselves.
This is the Dark/Demon's Souls series story summed up in one sentence.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Equester posted:

This. I know I'm in a strange minority, but I never liked pvp in DS1 enough to join the darkwraith but loved getting invaded, even by twinks.
I never minded getting killed by twinks. I minded that in some areas (Anor Londo) the very instant I went human I was invaded. I once was just trying to kindle a bonfire, and I got invaded between the Humanity Restored message and getting the bonfire menu back open.

Getting my poo poo stomped is fine; getting my poo poo stomped constantly all the time so that I can't play the PvE part of the game is... bad.

So while the DS2 PvP seems kind of stupid, I vastly prefer being able to actually play the game.

(Honestly bellcops are perfect: you know where to go to fight, the fights can get weird, and at least at my level, you're never waiting more than a few minutes between fights. I was once punched to death by a naked man in fairy wings named 'Jeezus' there, which is basically peak PvP as far as I'm concerned.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
By the time you reach Anor Londo you should be perfectly capable of dealing with invaders.

Bell cops are okay but I'd never go to them expecting to get a fun fight if I'm not the invader. Basically every bell fight instantly turns into a 2v1. Unless both opponents are hilariously bad, you won't win 2v1. You'll get crushed. If there was a minute cooldown before a second phantom could show up it would be fine.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I tended to get killed by the normal enemies way before I got invaded, so I never did learn to pvp in DS1.