Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Cruseydr posted:

On your PC, use the ChromeCast extension to cast the tab to your TV. You can't do it from your phone, if that's what you're wanting to do.

Yeah, I was. Because if I'm using my laptop I might as well just plug it in via HDMI instead of chromecasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

In Google's stock "Photos" app, is there a way to unload or disable certain folders? I don't want it loading a bunch of folders just because they have images in them.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Question regarding Google Play Music.

I wanted to listen to the new Black Keys album today. I searched for it on Google Play and it wasn't on there. I checked Spotify and it wasn't on there. It is for sale on iTunes. I don't recall having an album, a newer one, not be on Google Play the day of release. Is this fairly common? Do they probably have an agreement with iTunes for a limited time? How am I able to find out when it will be on there? Just randomly check?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CancerStick posted:

I wanted to listen to the new Black Keys album today. I searched for it on Google Play and it wasn't on there. I checked Spotify and it wasn't on there. It is for sale on iTunes. I don't recall having an album, a newer one, not be on Google Play the day of release. Is this fairly common? Do they probably have an agreement with iTunes for a limited time? How am I able to find out when it will be on there? Just randomly check?

I think there has to be a limited agreement with iTunes or even brick and mortar stores. I couldn't find OneRepublic's rerelease of Native or Lindsey Stirling's new albums on Google Play Music for a while and, just last week, they finally showed up.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

CancerStick posted:

It's for sale on Google Play. It doesn't seem to be part of All Access though, because I can't find it there. If it's not on Spotify either then perhaps they're just not licensing it for streaming services?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It often takes a few weeks for new albums to show up on All Access. And sometimes the deluxe versions never show up at all even though they are available to buy. It varies a bit.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Looks like Swype updated today and among the fixes is the insane amount of location calls. There's a good chance that this will fix the terrible lag that has plagued the app for so long.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Looks like Swype updated today and among the fixes is the insane amount of location calls. There's a good chance that this will fix the terrible lag that has plagued the app for so long.

I'd love to reinstall it but its the lag that gets me. Every drat time.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

How does swype differ from Google Keyboard?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Donald Kimball posted:

How does swype differ from Google Keyboard?

It swypes better.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

It swypes better.

When it eventually loads and decides to not freeze up. I've honestly gone back to the stock keyboard on my Nexus 7 and my Galaxy S5 and regret nothing. Swype updates are few and far between and there are some major problems that have persisted for some time.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Delpino posted:

It reminds me of the message I used to see in iOS if I clicked a link in the app and it tried to take me to a page I didn't have permissions to see. Have you tried logging into Facebook on Chrome and then going to the link directly from there?

I logged into FB in Chrome and then tried opening links from the FB app and it works fine now. Dumb, but whatever, I guess.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

On the iPhone, the visual voicemail and dialer were under a single app. Is there any way to do this on my moto x? It's pretty nice to have everything under one roof.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a simple news reader that works like Pulse used to before LinkedIn hosed it up? I'm comfortable using those multi app shitbag things like Flipbook but I'm trying to find a just-news nice layout thing for my dad.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sheep-Goats posted:

Is there a simple news reader that works like Pulse used to before LinkedIn hosed it up? I'm comfortable using those multi app shitbag things like Flipbook but I'm trying to find a just-news nice layout thing for my dad.

I've been using pulse for 3 years now, and it hasn't really changed all that much :confused:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I used to use Pulse like two years ago but I went to find it and it was rebranded and all the reviews were really angry.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've become a huge fan of Circa for my news reading.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Donald Kimball posted:

On the iPhone, the visual voicemail and dialer were under a single app. Is there any way to do this on my moto x? It's pretty nice to have everything under one roof.
Not really but maybe after I/O.

Right now if you use Google Voice for voicemail the transcription shows in the Google Voice app. If you check the option in Google Voice settings to show voicemail in the dailer it will show the entries there but clicking on the notification when you get a voicemail will no longer lead to the Google Voice app but instead into a playback pane in the dialer where you can't see the transcription but you do have a shortcut to call the party back.

I find it better to use just have the Google Voice app handle the voicemail so that I can have the transcription and when I need to call the party back I use the Missed Call notification to take me straight to the call.

Of course Google Voice should be integrated into Hangouts by I/O so this workflow might change. That said, Voice is way better than carrier voicemail so if you're still using your carrier voicemail you may want to switch.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

What apps are useful in the event of a stolen phone? For instance an app that would allow you to remotely access your phone and wipe it or even track its location?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

KinkyJohn posted:

What apps are useful in the event of a stolen phone? For instance an app that would allow you to remotely access your phone and wipe it or even track its location?

The built in android device manager.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

KinkyJohn posted:

Cerberus is pretty good.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
The latest update for Facebook for Android included a new interface design. It is dogshit. I'm not real tech savvy, but is there a way to go undo this update (or the interface change)? Or am I just going to have to deal with it?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

WreckSov posted:

The latest update for Facebook for Android included a new interface design. It is dogshit. I'm not real tech savvy, but is there a way to go undo this update (or the interface change)? Or am I just going to have to deal with it?
If I remember correctly, it's done server side so you'll probably have to deal with it.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
It's always the same with FB interface updates. You bitch, you moan and 2 weeks later you get used to it and will have forgotten what the other one even looked like. It's been the same with this for me.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Ugh....

Google Now and Google Music are starting to piss me off.

I use the handsfree 'OK Google Now' function on my Moto Droid a lot, especially when I am driving, to select songs. Lately, I have had the following happen a lot:

1: I say "OK Google Now" and my phone wakes up and waits for a command
2: I say "Play "Used to love her' and Google Now correctly matches it to play Guns n' Roses 'Used to Love Her'
3: Google Now launches Play Music with Guns n' Roses Used to Love Her in the search bar.
4: Play music starts to play 'Used to Lover Her' as covered by Ella Es Tan Cargosa even though the Guns N' Roses version is right loving there!

I keep seeing this, that Google now matched the right song and tells Play music to play the right song, but Play Music plays a cover (or in some cases just the wrong song all together) even when the correct song is on Play Music.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

Of course Google Voice should be integrated into Hangouts by I/O so this workflow might change. That said, Voice is way better than carrier voicemail so if you're still using your carrier voicemail you may want to switch.
Really hoped it would be done by now since today's the last day my Obi100 will work.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Lowen SoDium posted:

Ugh....

Google Now and Google Music are starting to piss me off.

I use the handsfree 'OK Google Now' function on my Moto Droid a lot, especially when I am driving, to select songs. Lately, I have had the following happen a lot:

1: I say "OK Google Now" and my phone wakes up and waits for a command
2: I say "Play "Used to love her' and Google Now correctly matches it to play Guns n' Roses 'Used to Love Her'
3: Google Now launches Play Music with Guns n' Roses Used to Love Her in the search bar.
4: Play music starts to play 'Used to Lover Her' as covered by Ella Es Tan Cargosa even though the Guns N' Roses version is right loving there!

I keep seeing this, that Google now matched the right song and tells Play music to play the right song, but Play Music plays a cover (or in some cases just the wrong song all together) even when the correct song is on Play Music.

Maybe Google is trying to tell you something about the music you listen to hehe nah I'm just kidding I really don't know why it's doing that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Really hoped it would be done by now since today's the last day my Obi100 will work.

FWIW, I just completed switching my Obi over to one of their approved service providers (Phone Power) which costs $40/year and it was painless. Since I transferred my landline number to Google Voice when I first set it up, I left that as is and forward calls via the Google Voice settings to my new Phone Power number, and Phone Power automatically sets the right number for outgoing Caller ID.

Not as good as the $0/month + $1.50 I was paying for E911 before, but it's still hard to beat 3 bucks a month. Plus, now with Phone Power incoming faxes are automatically emailed to me, so that'll be useful 2 times in my life.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
This might be a generic android question now than an app question there any way on this earth to make email stop notifying me that it can't sign in to my work email? It changes every few months and the password needs reset by management because our tech people are nonexistent to incompetent. Right now I'm waiting on mine to be reset, but I've had to put my phone on silent because it keeps telling me every few seconds that it can't sign in. I don't want to delete the account because it's a pain to get it working again, and telling it to stop syncing or updating doesn't help. Argh.

If a new app is a solution, there's the possibility of patient information being in emails so it needs to be compliant with security policies, no third person servers.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Paramemetic posted:

This might be a generic android question now than an app question there any way on this earth to make email stop notifying me that it can't sign in to my work email? It changes every few months and the password needs reset by management because our tech people are nonexistent to incompetent. Right now I'm waiting on mine to be reset, but I've had to put my phone on silent because it keeps telling me every few seconds that it can't sign in. I don't want to delete the account because it's a pain to get it working again, and telling it to stop syncing or updating doesn't help. Argh.

If a new app is a solution, there's the possibility of patient information being in emails so it needs to be compliant with security policies, no third person servers.

You might be able to long press the notification next time it pops up in your notification bar, and select app info. It should give you a check box to stop notifications. That might work, depending on if the notification is coming from the app itself or Android system.

If that works, just don't forget to turn notifications back on for the app under settings > apps once they give you your new password.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Paramemetic posted:

Disable notifications for that app until it's fixed?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I just completed switching my Obi over to one of their approved service providers (Phone Power) which costs $40/year and it was painless. Since I transferred my landline number to Google Voice when I first set it up, I left that as is and forward calls via the Google Voice settings to my new Phone Power number, and Phone Power automatically sets the right number for outgoing Caller ID.

Not as good as the $0/month + $1.50 I was paying for E911 before, but it's still hard to beat 3 bucks a month. Plus, now with Phone Power incoming faxes are automatically emailed to me, so that'll be useful 2 times in my life.
That's good to know. I'll wait until after I/O to see if they have Hangouts calling working. $40/year is pretty cheap but if I can call through Hangouts then I'd be paying for the novelty of having a working 2500 telephone at my desk. Which might still be worth it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Fleksy is on sale for 1.99
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syntellia.fleksy.keyboard

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, I have three music players on my Nexus 5:

Google Music, which I never use
Doubletwist, which I use solely to airsync my playlists from my home iTunes library to the phone
PowerAmp Pro, which is what I actually use to play music

Is there a way to tell the first two to gently caress off when I get into my car and they start bluetooth autoplaying? I'd like GMusic to go away entirely, but deleting it is not, apparently, an option. If I could at least get them to completely piss off unless I specifically invoke them, that would be nice.

Is there a way to accomplish this that anyone knows of?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

smr posted:

So, I have three music players on my Nexus 5:

Google Music, which I never use
Doubletwist, which I use solely to airsync my playlists from my home iTunes library to the phone
PowerAmp Pro, which is what I actually use to play music

Is there a way to tell the first two to gently caress off when I get into my car and they start bluetooth autoplaying? I'd like GMusic to go away entirely, but deleting it is not, apparently, an option. If I could at least get them to completely piss off unless I specifically invoke them, that would be nice.

Is there a way to accomplish this that anyone knows of?

You should be able to at least disable Google music in app info. You also might able to use Tasker to disable double twist when bluetooth is on.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I'll be traveling this weekend and I'm trying to determine the most painless way of syncing movies/TV shows to my Nexus 7 (2013). I use the Plex Media Server app to stream to my Xbox and I've used the Android app as well. Anyone here have a Plex Pass subscription and would you recommend it?

I'm thinking I'll just get the $3.99 sub for one month so I can sync videos to the tablet. I'm open to any opinions or other recommendations on this. the reason I'm considering this is because in the past I've attempted to sync media files and have the proper playback apps, but there is ALWAYS some loving file that won't play due to encoding or filetype. I haven't had any trouble with Plex yet.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't Plex still offer a free month?

Edit: Did I invent this? I swear I got a free month of Premium when I first installed Plex but now can't find any mention of it ever existing. Weird.

Anyway, Plex should be good for what you're trying to do.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 16, 2014

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

I'll be traveling this weekend and I'm trying to determine the most painless way of syncing movies/TV shows to my Nexus 7 (2013). I use the Plex Media Server app to stream to my Xbox and I've used the Android app as well. Anyone here have a Plex Pass subscription and would you recommend it?

I'm thinking I'll just get the $3.99 sub for one month so I can sync videos to the tablet. I'm open to any opinions or other recommendations on this. the reason I'm considering this is because in the past I've attempted to sync media files and have the proper playback apps, but there is ALWAYS some loving file that won't play due to encoding or filetype. I haven't had any trouble with Plex yet.

Plex is awesome. I don't think it has a free month of plexpass, but you can always just get a free month, see if you like it, then upgrade and they will just have you pay the difference.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm not sure how I feel about this keyboard. It seems slower to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Tunga & kri kri posted:

Plex love.

Nice. I pulled the trigger on the $3.99/1 month. I've encountered a problem when initiating file sync from the tablet itself. It would say 'Syncing' in the notification panel, then stop. When you check the status within the Plex app on the device, it would say 'Device Idle'.

I've managed to get files synced by initiating it from the media server app in the browser though so it looks good now.

• Locked thread