Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Yeah i am about to need to know angular and after messing with it for a bit im nkt really excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Soricidus posted:

i'm the blog that's not readable on phones in the year of our lord 2014

should have made his blog using the JS-Framework-Framework du jour lol :george:

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

someone make me a good post generator

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Yeah i am about to need to know angular and after messing with it for a bit im nkt really excited

wrap it in some CoffeeScript, that'll make it all better

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIGEOTO posted:

someone make me a good post generator

just take your favorite poster's posts and run them through a markov text generator. i did that to good effect in a lan thread a while back

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

i'm the blog that's not readable on phones in the year of our lord 2014

so, all of them?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

angular sounds dumb use knockout instead. or don't use javascript at all, really. you don't need it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

but then how will i make a dynamic loading screen for my homepage without using flash

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
SVG or CSS animations

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
css is cool cause the designer has to write it instead of you and its very hard to make low performance css.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Max Facetime posted:

oh god I hope this hasn't been posted yet http://codeofrob.com/entries/you-have-ruined-javascript.html

Here's a tip. If you find yourself asking a question like this. If you find yourself asking a question which requires this sort of answer and then this sort of question to be asked YOU'VE DONE IT WRONG.

[/quote]

This dude is a really bad writer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my company's website has a loading screen that takes like 10 seconds, and i think its partially because there's 1100 newlines at the beginning of the html file

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

MeramJert posted:

just take your favorite poster's posts and run them through a markov text generator. i did that to good effect in a lan thread a while back

can someone do that for me and PM it to my forums inbox?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

vapid cutlery posted:

This dude is a really bad writer

yeah

still funny though

(if not necessarily in the way he intended)

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
css is the loving worst because it makes zero sense to anybody and the most trivial layout problems are comically difficult to solve

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

angular sounds dumb use knockout instead. or don't use javascript at all, really. you don't need it.

It's not my choice

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

css is the loving worst because it makes zero sense to anybody and the most trivial layout problems are comically difficult to solve

remind me how people got browbeaten into using it

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

calc() all day every day gently caress yo legacy browsers

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

PleasingFungus posted:

yeah

still funny though

He is a nice guy, but quite special

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

yeah

still funny though

i'm so happy javascript is taking the crown of 'the most EnterpriseObjectProviderFactoryProviders in a programming language possible'

it's time for the pendulum to swing back and Java again being seen as the language for getting things done and also the language for actually getting things done

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

css is the loving worst who cares because it makes zero sense to anybody and the most trivial layout problems are comically difficult for the designer to solve

ftfy

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

dehumanize yourself and use tables

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

:sigh:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

unless ur designer is also the person who designs the dom then it's also ur problem

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. I don't give a crap who writes the html and css im just going to cram if full of razors and/or knockouts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

yeah. I don't give a crap who writes the html and css im just going to cram if full of razors and/or knockouts

same except cram the designers full of razors

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I wish I knew why html/xml had to suck

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xml is great and html that is xml is great.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

gently caress them posted:

Because it was design by very loose committee. You had nobody knowing exactly what was coming (say, prophecy of what we use the internet like today) but lots of very fundamentally different takes on 'it' providing parts of it. most weren't ever used, in any real measure, and died off but the the core of 'the web' is a huge mishmash of different ideas that interoperate though fairly primitive group inclusions

tldr; nobody really designed the internet as it is today; it just is a collection of what eveolved through the early years of foundational contributions

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sniep posted:

tldr; nobody really designed the internet as it is today; it just is a collection of what eveolved through the early years of foundational contributions
er excuse me i think you'll find satan worked very hard to get it to be this bad and he is deeply upset that you do not acknowledge his role

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

How do I shot web? Lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gently caress them posted:

"if we build a standard they will come"

there are two major types of standards

implementation first, standard later, which serves to catalogue what is happening already. the protocol is often weird, broken, but most people can get it to work

standard first, implementation later. which serves to make some designer feel smug, and usually is abandoned as the standard is a work of art unsullied by things like 'working code'

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What exactly sucks about HTML/XML? Can we have some examples here?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
xml namespaces

xml schema

doctypes and their associated poo poo that nobody uses (external entities etc) are security hazards

fuzziness of the information model (is whitespace significant or not? for which nodes?)

the fact that it was designed to mark up text but is being used for storing general hierarchical poo poo

arbitrary distinctions between child nodes and attributes in practical usages (this is indefensible, don't try to defend it)

does not nest nicely (can't quote XML inside XML without some discomfort)

the need to be processed character-by-character because of the lack of length information is a problem for high-throughput applications

allows encodings other than UTF-8. Which encodings are supported is implementation specific.

typical design by committee clusterfuck iow but unfortunately it's everywhere and not going away

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
json is problematic in some ways (no widely used schema standards, no comments, all numbers are floating point) but it's a gently caress of a lot better than XML for machine-to-machine appplications

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

json is problematic in some ways (no widely used schema standards, no comments, all numbers are floating point) but it's a gently caress of a lot better than XML for machine-to-machine appplications

you are not just wrong, your opinion is the inverse of the correct one.

json is very easy for humans to read and edit, but its lack of standards-conformant implementations and total lack of validation make it grossly unsuitable to machine<=>machine communication

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh cool your json service emits date literals but my language's client library is strictly conforming to crockford

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
sweet another api that returns nested arrays with an implicit structural relationship to another element, this will never get parsed wrong

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

"if we build a standard they will come"

there are two major types of standards

implementation first, standard later, which serves to catalogue what is happening already. the protocol is often weird, broken, but most people can get it to work

standard first, implementation later. which serves to make some designer feel smug, and usually is abandoned as the standard is a work of art unsullied by things like 'working code'

And then there's IMAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
using xml for machine communication often feels like playing in a sandbox. i can do anything but it is always more effort than it shoulda been, and nothing is ever reusable

using json is more like playing in the litterbox. it seems like xml's sand at first, but gee there are a lot of fuckin turds in here