Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Dazerbeams posted:

gently caress this show for making GBS threads all over Regina's second chance at happiness.
To be totally fair though, Regina absolutely deserved this. Marian is a person she murdered in the original timeline. She was with Robin, who was only single in the first plave because she personally had his wife executed. Regina was a gleeful mass murderer, slaughtering whole villages when they talked back to her.

All Emma really did was undo a single one of Regina's many past sins.

Sure, that's sad for Regina, yeah. In perspective though, it's like seeing Hitler at the end of World War 2 being not only alive, but forgiven and welcomed by the rest of the world... and then being upset to find out that his girlfriend's late husband didn't die in one of Hitler's gas chambers after all.

The only real way to back out of this is if we find out Marian somehow deserved that execution, for something actually truly evil and horrible, and not just helping to hide Snow White. I can't think of much she could have done to be so bad that the evil queen is doing a good deed by executing her though, and it seems really unlikely anyway.

Dazerbeams posted:

You don't think Robin Hood is going to get caught up on the fact that Regina was the reason Marion was taken from her family in the first place? That seems like something you don't just forgive.
Yeah, even if Marian hadn't shown up, Robin might have figured this out at some point. Perhaps someone from the homelands mentions that time when the evil queen's guards captured Marian, which Robin hadn't heard before... and then poo poo's bad anyway.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It's not really about what the character deserves though. I'm tired of watching Regina suffer. The show doesn't treat her as the villain, but she is the go-to character for misery. This wasn't even hinted at during the season, just dropped in our laps as a finale plot twist.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I bet we'll find out someone else has the same tattoo as Robin Hood. That's about the only way that 'true love' Tinkerbelle spell isn't faulty.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dazerbeams posted:

It's not really about what the character deserves though. I'm tired of watching Regina suffer. The show doesn't treat her as the villain, but she is the go-to character for misery. This wasn't even hinted at during the season, just dropped in our laps as a finale plot twist.

Yeah, by this season I was getting really tired of Grumpy being a dickhead about Regina because EVIL QUEEN EVIL QUEEEEEN. I don't like the Hitler comparison because it being a fantasy world I think things should be viewed differently. And also it's not real so I don't feel bad about sympathizing with a character who killed a bunch of people.

I've seen the theory around that maybe Marian isn't actually Marian. And the reason it's been suggested is this: He says that Marian's death was his fault, so if Regina had actually been the one to kill her then wouldn't Robin have know about it? I dunno that seems kind of fishy, especially because they introduce her and Elsa in this episode. And I don't think Elsa is going to end up being the big villain at all, perhaps there's more to Marian than we've seen?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I know we're all supposed to be happy for Belle and Rumple, but every time I think of them I just hope to God Belle doesn't go into his basement.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 14, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
What I'm getting is that Idina Menzel is the root of all evil.

We've had The Wicked Witch as the main villain of this half of the season, and Elsa is the presumed villain of the first half of next season. Basically all that's left is a human fiancee of a man who gets with a princes--

--oh.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Macaluso posted:

I've seen the theory around that maybe Marian isn't actually Marian. And the reason it's been suggested is this: He says that Marian's death was his fault, so if Regina had actually been the one to kill her then wouldn't Robin have know about it? I dunno that seems kind of fishy, especially because they introduce her and Elsa in this episode. And I don't think Elsa is going to end up being the big villain at all, perhaps there's more to Marian than we've seen?

Plus "Marian" told Emma that all of her family thinks she's dead. Maybe she's a long-estranged twin sister who's going along with the act of being Marian for whatever reason.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Does anyone have a decent family tree chart figured out for this show that captures just how... intertwined everything is?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Emma is technically now in a relationship with her son's father's mother's boyfriend... and Regina is technically Henry's adoptive mother *and* great grandmother. :psyduck:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

How is she the great grandmother?

E: oh. Step great grandmother.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I think Regina's real true love is going to be King Richard the Lionhearted. In folklore, he's put as the King during Robin Hood's time who was away during the Crusades.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

courtney_beth posted:

Does anyone have a decent family tree chart figured out for this show that captures just how... intertwined everything is?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Emma is technically now in a relationship with her son's father's mother's boyfriend... and Regina is technically Henry's adoptive mother *and* great grandmother. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZotqogcyQV0

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

This one isn't half bad.... when you look at it this way, it doesn't look so strange. Still very intertwined.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

ashez2ashes posted:

I think Regina's real true love is going to be King Richard the Lionhearted. In folklore, he's put as the King during Robin Hood's time who was away during the Crusades.

Oooooooooo I didn't even think of this. The lion usually represents royalty. Maybe Robin got his tattoo in an act of fealty.

Even if this is true it still sucks for Regina and Robin because I think they have fallen in love with each other, and I'm tired of Regina's heart being trampled.

Does anyone know when season 4 will start? When do the networks usually begin their fall lineup?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Between Aug and October.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I just watched the season finale tonight and I gotta say, that scene where Rumple is holding onto Emma by the portal and Emma's talking about Neal's death and don't let it be in vein, that might be the best scene of the series. We get endless schmaltz and glurge, but that scene felt like genuine emotion, she was so desperate, I really enjoyed that.

Ela
Jan 10, 2011
I like Regina, i do. But i don't think i'll ever truly forgive her for killing Graham.. that still hurts me! The Marian thing i think is fine because the Lionheart would be a better fit for Regina.. I do hope that's a thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ela posted:

I like Regina, i do. But i don't think i'll ever truly forgive her for killing Graham.. that still hurts me! The Marian thing i think is fine because the Lionheart would be a better fit for Regina.. I do hope that's a thing.

Should be played by Patrick Stewart.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I suppose I wouldn't mind Robin Hood ending up not actually being Regina's true love if it meant more hot men on the show. Because that's what's missing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dazerbeams posted:

I suppose I wouldn't mind Robin Hood ending up not actually being Regina's true love if it meant more hot men on the show. Because that's what's missing.

Eh my girlfriend is all excited that the knave is joining the show next year. It'll be weird seeing him again.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

He doesn't do it for me. But on that note, should the people who didn't watch Wonderland bother going through it?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Dazerbeams posted:

He doesn't do it for me. But on that note, should the people who didn't watch Wonderland bother going through it?

It's a fun change of pace versus vanilla OUAT, if you like the more classic adventure format. And 13 episodes means it ends properly. In rather glad it didn't get the chance to go on forever.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
No. Just because something is short doesn't mean there shouldn't be enough other things in this short life of yours to keep you from doing it.

If you have enough free time that you can watch a show that you have to ask if you want to watch, you need more hobbies not more TV shows.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Dazerbeams posted:

I watched every episode of Wonderland, and I can remember almost none of it. Alice herself was just so bland, more like a prop that the show revolved around than an actual character. Really, the Red Queen and Jafar were the best parts of it. Luckily the Knave was also pretty good, so he should be a good addition to the main show..

At first, Jafar felt just awful to watch. Somehow after a couple episodes he suddenly clicked and became a pretty great villain from there until the end.

As far as I can tell, all you really need to know is that the Knave lived in Storybrook for a while before the Wonderland series. Still has an apartment there, and this only comes up once, briefly. His real name is Will Scarlet, which would make him Robin Hood's half-Brother, and possibly one of his Merry men. His 'heart' was removed, but he got it back. Also, he was a genie for a while, but he got better. At the end of the series he and the Red Queen (not Cora) were a couple again. And I'm sure all of this will be covered in OUaT anyway when he appears, if it's at all important.

I do have a Wonderland question though. They repeatedly mention that Genies can't kill. It's one of the big, unbendable, unchanging rules of Genies, their wishes can't kill. Genie wish rules, and how they can't be broken, are pretty important to the plot of the series... So why did Lizard die? Did the writers really just forget?

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 16, 2014

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
The Red Queen is hot and has huge rear end lips. That's all I got out of it besides the above Knave story.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Robot Hobo posted:

I do have a Wonderland question though. They repeatedly mention that Genies can't kill. It's one of the big, unbendable, unchanging rules of Genies, their wishes can't kill. Genie wish rules, and how they can't be broken, are pretty important to the plot of the series... So why did Lizard die? Did the writers really just forget?
Her wish was, "I wish you would just feel something, Will!" (pretty much along those lines) so the genie magic killed her so will would feel remorseful or something (because unrequited love and she accidentally used the word 'wish' in the heat of the moment). Genie magic is the same as any kind of magic, so it follows the same rules (and the same rules Jafar wanted to break).

If you want to get really technical it's not in the 3 rules of magic in OUAT. The 3 can'ts are: make someone fall in love, bring back the dead, go back in time.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I liked Wonderland and think it's worth a watch. It took a few episodes to get into but once everyone seemed to get comfortable with their characters it clicked. It's obviously not Breaking Bad but it's a fun, easy bit of TV.

Genie talk: The rule was that you can't wish someone dead. Just like in OuaT, magic has a price and often has a twisted way of working out, hence Lizard dying to make Will "feel something". It's still following the rules, just the twisted backlash that always seems to come with magic. Kind of like Alice wishing her father back to safety but as a result he either doesn't remember being in Wonderland/thinks it might have been a dream. I think Cyrus refers to it as wishes having "unintended consequences".

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oh right, I forgot about the genie specific rules on wishes. Though Alice's father didn't seem to freak out when she did return at the end, maybe he did and then remembered it all. Or I guess Alice is just better at making wishes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Wonderland was a fun simple show, superior to the main show in many ways, I say watch it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Sober posted:

Oh right, I forgot about the genie specific rules on wishes. Though Alice's father didn't seem to freak out when she did return at the end, maybe he did and then remembered it all. Or I guess Alice is just better at making wishes.

I think in the finale he says something like "I thought I had imagined all of it/had gone crazy, until you returned and I knew it was all real."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ela posted:

Or murdering the gently caress out of that one kid's father, who then gets murdered trying to find out what happened.

I can't help but feel like they had something more than that planned and accidentally left it on a very dark and hosed up note when it fell apart. Like he was supposed to be back and not just dug up bones.

Merlinicus posted:

This was very clever. They can't actually put Star Wars in the show because it wouldn't make sense (at least in my opinion)...

I'd laugh my rear end off if they find the reality that is Earth-616. After all, Disney does have the rights.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 19, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd laugh my rear end off if they find the reality that is Earth-616. After all, Disney does have the rights.

Emma is killed when she goes up to the Winter Soldier thinking its the Mad Hatter.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

His real name is Will Scarlet, which would make him Robin Hood's half-Brother, and possibly one of his Merry men. His 'heart' was removed, but he got it back. Also, he was a genie for a while, but he got better. At the end of the series he and the Red Queen (not Cora) were a couple again.

Didn't watch Wonderland but isn't he the guy you all were saying is coming to OUAT? What about his relationship with the Red Queen?

fork bomb fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 19, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

fork bomb posted:

If they do solve the Regina love triangle with someone else having the same tattoo then this would be very convenient.

Just as long as he is not like his sister and get kicked off the show due to committing a hate crime.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

fork bomb posted:

Didn't watch Wonderland but isn't he the guy you all were saying is coming to OUAT? What about his relationship with the Red Queen?
Yes, he is. The Red Queen in that show wasn't Cora, but did learn magic from her. She and the Knave were a couple before the series, then enemies, and her grand 'evil' scheme through the series was all an attempt to get Knave/Will back by changing the rules of magic so she could force him to love her. That didn't work out, but they ended up falling in love again the regular way. At the very end of the series they were a couple... Haven't heard any mention of Red Queen's actress coming to OUaT though, so no idea what's happening with that.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

With him coming to OUAT and his connection to Robin Hood, he seems like a very convenient candidate to add to the Regina love triangle, but he's not single.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

fork bomb posted:

With him coming to OUAT and his connection to Robin Hood, he seems like a very convenient candidate to add to the Regina love triangle, but he's not single.

Also, he's more than a decade younger than Regina. Which would be fine if the genders were reversed, but because of sexism they probably won't make that decision.

Richard the Lionheart would be a better fakeout, if they were going to go there with it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Wonderland ended with him finding happines together with the Red Queen, why drop all of that to make some weird love triangle with Regina?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Oasx posted:

Wonderland ended with him finding happiness together with the Red Queen, why drop all of that to make some weird love triangle with Regina?
I'm not sure if they really specified how the two shows' timelines sync up. Unless I missed something, the next season of OUaT could be set before the events of Wonderland. The Knave might just be there because he was already there, and perhaps John Lithgow will show up to take him to Alice at the end of the season.

It would be easy enough to explain why we haven't seen the Knave around. We see all the big, dramatic things that go on in Storybrook, and he likes to stay far away from that sort of thing whenever possible.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 19, 2014

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Just watched Frozen for the first time so I can be ready for next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Looks like they are going to go hardcore Frozen next season, new casting announced
http://tvline.com/2014/07/01/once-upon-a-time-scott-michael-foster-kristoff-elizabeth-lail-anna-cast-season-4/

• Locked thread