Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

quote:

01. The Stranger - Albert Camus
02. The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, The Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made - Greg Sestero
03. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami
04. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
05. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
06. Ficciones - Jorge Luis Borges
07. The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
08. When Panic Attacks - David Burns
09. Bridge of Birds - Barry Hughart
10. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
11. The Philip K. Dick Reader - Philip K. Dick
12. The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
13. Under The Skin - Michael Faber
14. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
15. Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
16. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
17. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
18. Invisible Cities - Italo Calvino
19. Moby-Dick - Herman Melville
20. I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers - Tim Madigan
21. The Snow Leopard - Peter Matthiessen

22. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Great book. I really wish I had read this when I was little. The watercolors add a lot to the story. I guess you need to be careful about what translation you get (there are a ton of one star reviews on Amazon about not selling the Woods' translation).

23. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel García Márquez
I did not enjoy this book. I liked some of the ideas, but it was a grind to get through.

24. Wind, Sand and Stars - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
This book felt jumbled. At times it was well-written, but at others it felt hampered by translation. I reckon it would be a more enjoyable read in French.

DannyTanner fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

DannyTanner posted:

22. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Great book. I really wish I had read this when I was little. The watercolors add a lot to the story. I guess you need to be careful about what translation you get (there are a ton of one star reviews on Amazon about not selling the Woods' translation).

Is there an ebook version that's acceptable, or do you pretty much have to buy a physical book to have a good experience?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

apophenium posted:

1. Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson
2. Vulcan's Forge by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz
3. Harbinger by David Mack
4. The Crippled God by Steven Erikson
5. Consider Phlebus by Iain M. Banks

6. Masters of Doom by David Kushner
7. Summon the Thunder by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore

I haven't read a ton of non-fiction, but I thought Masters of Doom was very impressive and tastefully done. The story has a great pace and wide enough appeal where knowing about Doom or videogames in general isn't totally necessary to enjoy the ride. Summon the Thunder was a decent continuation of the Star Trek: Vanguard series that started with Harbinger. Very pulpy, but fun enough. I've now begun Ian Cameron Esslemont's latest Malazan book, Blood and Bone. I'm feeling pretty good about hitting my goal this year!

apophenium fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 14, 2014

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

guppy posted:

Is there an ebook version that's acceptable, or do you pretty much have to buy a physical book to have a good experience?

Amazon sells a Kindle version that is the Richard Howard translation, which many people seem to dislike. As for ebook or physical, I would say you should get the physical version if you can. The way the pictures are arranged would not work well as an ebook.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E/N unsurprisingly happened and got me out of reading for the last few months. But, I have been biking a bunch and don't feel too bad about it v0v

So, number eight for the year is Just Ride by Grant Petersen. And on to some Dirk Gently from here. Also stocked up on some Dresden Files and Pratchett to combat the "don't have time to devote to serious reads" months.

6. The Tao if Pooh
7. Sewer, Gas and Electric

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 15, 2014

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

39) The Mammoth Book of Time Travel SF Mike Ashley (Editor)
The editor did a excelent job of putting together a fantastic collection of short stories with a wide variety of styles. If you want to see some one sentence reviews of each story you can read them on my goodreads review.

40) The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka
I'm glad to have finally read The Metamorphosis. It was odd, and Gregor's fate was depressing, but I guess that was one of the points Kafka was trying to make with the story.
As to the other stories in the collection, the only one I really enjoyed was "A Report to an Academy", and it's mostly because it isn't completely dreary like In the Penal Colony, doesn't read like a fever dream like "A Country Doctor", and didn't leave me completely clueless as to the point like "The Judgement."
This collection used new translations by Stanley Appelbaum, into "idiomatic, modern American English", and they work well to make the text accessible.

41) Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy by Rob MacGregor
This was terrible. Bad pacing, awkward dialogue and infodumps, lackluster action, and a completely uninteresting plot.
I learned my lesson with the SG-1 novels, I'll not be picking up any more in this series.

42) [redacted] [counts as 1/2]

43) Sundiver by David Brin
A complicated whodunit where the rules are never clearly defined, mired by the 1980's fascination with psychic crap and self-hypnosis, and further complicated by a political intrigue that only served to slow down the plot.

44) The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams
It was alright. I didn't think it was as consistently funny as the first one, but there were a few times it really made me laugh. I still love the way Adams can paint a scene.
My biggest issue with this is you could have removed Dirk from the story and lost nothing.

45) [redacted] [counts as 1/2]

46) Enterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Started out slow, then it got stupid, then it remained stupid for the rest of the novel. The vaudeville act was reminiscent of one of the more awful TOS episodes, the author went way overboard on Scotty's accent, and I never cared at all about the boring "out for revenge" Klingon that every Trek author ever uses in their stories.
I'd swear off Trek tie-in stuff, but we all know that it'd just be a lie.

47) The Tides of Time by John Brunner
An interesting story following two lovers through time. It starts out a little confusing, becomes interesting, and ends a little heavy handed. It reads more like a collection of short stories with the same main characters, and I feel that the end, which is mostly dialogue, drags the whole thing down a bit as everything gets explained.

48) Chanur's Venture by C.J. Cherryh
Alien espionage and politics from the POV of the hoh-human captain caught in the middle. Again I love that the sole human character is more of a plot device and the the author gives a great look at a non-human universe.

49) The Kif Strike Back by C.J. Cherryh
After Chanur's Venture this really feels like wheel-spinning.

50) Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks
This was alright. I have a couple of complaints about the main character (who is pretty unlikable in the first half of the book) and the setting (anyone who tells you the school isn't just "Evil Hogwarts" is lying to you), but it turned around into a decent read somewhere around page 260 or so.

That brings my running total to 47.5/120.

Right now I'm reading All Quiet on the Western Front, and Moby Dick should also be in the next group I post.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

8one6 posted:

I don't care about the things you read as part of your reading challenge, but lol.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He's reading samizdat and doesn't want to get the author into hot water.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Why does each count as 1/2? Was the other half of the document burned?

8one6
May 20, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I don't care about the things you read as part of your reading challenge, but lol.

Mr. Squishy posted:

He's reading samizdat and doesn't want to get the author into hot water.

DannyTanner posted:

Why does each count as 1/2? Was the other half of the document burned?

Just trying to avoid a 4 page derail on how I'm a terrible person and might as well be reading the back of cereal boxes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Well, now I'm imagining the worst, like a book of Zelda concept art or summat.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Almost as bad, The hardcover collections of the Avatar:TLA comics. In my defense they do feature creator commentary throughout.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

8one6 posted:

Almost as bad, The hardcover collections of the Avatar:TLA comics. In my defense they do feature creator commentary throughout.

:ughh:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's not fair. I don't know how to mark read books on Goodreads so they don't count towards the book total and wanted to post about how bad it was in the thread.

(Also in my defence, it's the only book on my list that isn't non-fiction or a novel).

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
As for goodreads, just don't select a date read for the book and it won't count towards your goal.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

55.THE TOMB by - F. Paul Wilson
I absolutely love, love, love this book! It feels right at home with other urban fantasty novels, but I would say that this is perhaps a little darker, a little edgier. I can't speak to all of Wilson's work, but I know that I want more of Repair Man Jack. A whole bunch of books to keep you busy waiting for the next Dresden files book, or what-have-you.

56. WORM - by Wildbow
loving amazing, and also insanely long. It is the only instance of superhero fiction you will ever need. THe cast of characters and their back stories is rather complex, but it is presented in a very simple-straight forward way. Everybody who enjoys genre fiction is doing themselves a HUGE favor in reading this immediately. There isn't a thread in the bookbarn on Wildbow for no reason.

57. Princep's Fury - by Jim Butcher
So far, the worst of a pretty mediocre fantasy series. It feels like Butcher didn't have a whole lot planned for this chapter, because next to nothing actually happens.

58. Children of the Night - Dan Simmons
A vampire book that actually impressed me, mainly because it takes some traditional vampire mythos and does something new and exciting with it. While it lacks the magic of Summer of The Night, this is probably my second favorite Simmons book (i've not read that many)

59. Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Suzannah Cahalan
A pretty intersting first hand account of a woman's brain infection, and description of what it must feel like to literally go mad. Really short and straightforward. Not a MUST READ by any means, but it might be worth looking into.

60. Generation Loss - Elizabeth Hand
Goodreads calls it a mystery or thriller, I found it suggested as a horror novel. Generation Loss defies conventions. It's a story that is dark and gritty. The protagonist might be an rear end in a top hat, but she's also intersting. Its just a cool little book.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Well, I had a slow April and am still having a slow May. I think part of it is that I don't have anything too inspiring to read, I am just picking up the books that have been on my shelf for too long that they have to be read.

35. The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon by Sei Shonagon: a court diary of a noble woman in Heian Japan. Full of poems about cherry blossoms and court gossip told in puns, it is a good historical document but might be lacking in general literary interest.

36. Honorary Politician: Mike Mansfield of Montana : A record of speeches by and about Mike Mansfield in the Senate. Another book that is mostly interesting to historians.

37. Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe: A sprawling and important work, this is the roman a clef autobiography of Thomas Wolfe growing up in the south at the beginning of the 20th century. An important work of literature, and worth the time I put into it.

38. The Fall, by Albert Camus: Even though I am generally in favor of Camus, this book failed to make an impression on me.

39. In Memoriam, by Alfred Lord Tennyson: Once I got over the 19th century language, I found this poem to be moving and profound.

40. Half-Moon Investigations, by Eoin Colfer: A fun book by one of the better YA authors.

41. Pickett's Charge by George R Stewart: A good history of one of the Civil War's most famous battles.

42. The Story of My Misfortune by Peter Abelard: Biography of French philosopher most famous for being castrated as part of a love affair. Along with that, he also got in fights with everyone imaginable.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
1. NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
2. MaddAddam, by Margaret Atwood
3. Galveston, by Nic Pizzolatto
4. The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America, by George Packer.
5. The Story of the Stone, by Barry Hughart
6. Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery, by Robert Kolker.
7. Annihilation, by Jef VanderMeer

Can't recommend Annihilation enough to those looking for something different. At only 200 pages, it's a very quick read, but brilliantly done. It's difficult to describe the book without giving too much away, but the gist is it's about a team of four women who are sent to explore a mysterious zone called Area X. Nothing is as it seems, no one is who they are supposed to be, and the ending is mind-warping.

I'm on to the sequel now, Authority, which is very different in tone but still very good. This book pulls back the lens more on Area X and reads more like a detective novel. Almost done with it so I'll weigh in on it later.

I really like VanderMeer's writing. Any recommendations of what I should read from him when I'm done with Authority?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I've asked before but never got an answer on it. Does Annihilation ever pick up?

I was reading it for a while, and just... it's basically just talking about HOW WEIRD this tunnel is, or HOW WEIRD this thing is, and nothing seems to be going on except these people talking about stuff they see. I'm all for lovecraftian weird poo poo, but I kinda want something to happen. Gimme a shoggoth chasing someone or something.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I've asked before but never got an answer on it. Does Annihilation ever pick up?

I was reading it for a while, and just... it's basically just talking about HOW WEIRD this tunnel is, or HOW WEIRD this thing is, and nothing seems to be going on except these people talking about stuff they see. I'm all for lovecraftian weird poo poo, but I kinda want something to happen. Gimme a shoggoth chasing someone or something.

I'm not exactly sure how far into the book you were but I'd guess you probably read the first two "parts"? I'd say that stuff definitely happens, the "tunnel" is explored, there are some cool reveals and some conflict. I won't guarantee you'll enjoy it but if you were only one or two "parts" in I'd suggest reading on and giving it another shot.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, they started exploring a tunnel and finding weird poo poo, and the main POV character was thinking something weird was going on because she seemed to see different stuff than the other lady (at least that's how I remember it).

I'll swing back into it and give it a try. I kinda paused it when it just seemed like it would be more of an exploration book rather than an interaction type of book, if ya get my drift.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I completely forgot about this thread. :downs:

My goal for this year is 30 books, I'm behind but summer's coming up, so.
1. A Feast for Crows by GRRM - didn't hate it like the Internet would make you believe and I actually liked Brienne's chapters so hey
2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - very quiet kind of book but extremely well-written. I liked how the book was formatted and despite the fact that the narrator really goes kind of overboard describing the characters it all comes together in a way that works. I dunno, I can't really describe it.
3. Carrie by Stephen King - page-turner. Not exactly high literature but I appreciated reliving the 90s :D
4. Who Should be First? Feminists Speak Out on the 2008 Campaign - collection of essays written by feminists and womanists regarding their thoughts on Hillary and Barack; it's really nothing I'm unfamiliar with but I suppose it'd be more interesting for those who don't do a lot of essay reading (it's me, I'm the broken one that reads essays for fun)
5. Native American Religious Identity: Unforgotten Gods - anthology edited by Jace Weaver (Cherokee) that collects essays about the connections between traditional Amerindian beliefs, Christianity, feminism, imperialism, etc.
6. The Problem of the Green Capsule - John Dickson Carr; good read, very tricky plot twist; read it as part of the Let's Read Mystery Fiction thread here in TBB, which you guys should totally join!

I'm currently reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (the wait list at the library was really long okay) and The Crooked House by Agatha Christie as part of the aforementioned thread.

I hope these are all book enough to count. :ohdear:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I haven't updated...at all. I'm a bit ahead of schedule overall, but a fair bit of these are novellas.

1. The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 24 edited by Stephen Jones
2. Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovtich
3. Dark Advent by Brian Hodge
4. Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
5. Broken Sigil by William Meikle
6. Menance by Gary Fry
7. Blue War by Jeffrey Thomas
8. Red Cells by Jeffrey Thomas
9. Marrow’s Pit by Keith Deininger
10. I Am the New God by Nicole Cushing
11. Dead Five’s Pass by Colin Barnes
12. Traitor’s Blade by Sebastien De Castell
13. John Dies At the End by David Wong
14. This Book Is Full of Spiders by David Wong
15. Deadlift by Craig Saunders
16. Dead Sea by Tim Curran
17. Nightcrawlers by Tim Curran
18. Dream of the Serpent by Alan Ryker
19. Severed by Gary Fry
20. The Devil Behind by by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes
21. Ash and Bone by Lisa von Biela
22. Reaping the Dark by Gary McMahon
23. Rogue by Greg Gifune
24. When We Fall by Peter Giglio
25. The Fading Place by Mary SanGiovanni
26. Ghosts of Punktown by Jeffrey Thomas

The two David Wong books were a lot of fun and I can't believe I wanted this long to read them (well, the first one anyhow). The two Tim Curran novels are complete opposites thematically; Dead Sea is probably the better of the two. Traitor's Blade is a phenomenal book and I recommend it to anyone that's a fan of fantasy. The same goes for Annihilation, except for horror/weird fiction. Dark Advent is kind of odd; it's like Hodge wanted to write a version of The Stand that didn't have any mystical stuff but then threw in just a tiny bit of mystical stuff for no real reason.

Marrow's Pit and I Am the New God are both good, but don't expect the stories you read to match up well with the blurbs from the publisher. Severed is decent; Fry was trying something a little different and it didn't quite work out, but I respect him for writing outside of his comfort zone. The two Jeffrey Thomas books are great if you're a fan of his Punktown setting.

Everything else was pretty good, but nothing stood out enough to make further comments.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 21, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

33: A Blight of Mages because I'm not feeling terribly imaginative, it was what the Kobo store suggested, and I couldn't find Valor and Vanity which is what I wanted to read. It may not be out in the UK yet, but Writing Excuses implied it had been released stateside.

33: A Blight of Mages was OK, but honestly none of the Dorana books thus far have been a patch on The Riven Kingdom et al, which I really enjoyed. Blight would have been a lot better if the protags weren't a pair of collossal idiotic arrogant pricks.

34: The Book Thief because it was around and fiancee had finished it. So far it's OK, but the occasional interludes in funny typography asking and answering side questions etc are really bugging me. Stop trying to be ~~##**ART**##~~ and just get on with the loving story.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

8one6 posted:

I strongly disagree with comic books being counted as only 1/2 points. Comic books are high quality literature.

1)Distance Between the Two by Naruco Hanaharu
The romance in this was well realized and the scifi twist where time stops when the get close to each other was used effectively as at first it was a boon but then it disrupted their daily lives. I also liked how they hosed their problems away.

2)Onee-sama Likes Anal by Abe Morioka
I quite liked the juxtaposition between the strong biker woman's take no prisoners rebel without a cause attitude and her desire to get hosed up the rear end.

3)Yume Miru Kisuru
My favorite part of this was the resolution. To stop your new girlfriend from getting bullied you work together with the power of love to strangle the girl who was bullying you until she shits and pisses herself while the sappy sex scene music plays.

4)My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute: Cumming In My Little Sister and Her Friend Too Part 2
I liked the subtext in that one but the passive voice kind of annoyed me to read through.

5)Katawa Shoujo
Cripple bitches. Seriously that's what the title translates as. I really liked when the girl with no arms hugs you, but there was no foot job scene. Like WTF a girl who paints with your feet and all you get is to listen to her autistic neurosis. I can understand the girl with no legs not having a foot job scene but not the girl with no arms.

6)But Does The Fact That He's A Guy Even Matter? by Kabuttari Kaburanakattari
Very deep. Made me truly question if it matters that the romantic interest was a guy. The author and I came to the same conclusion: no it does not.

7)Stop...! You Intend to Rape Me, Right!? Just Like in an Ero-Doujin!!
Beautiful treatise on the mistreatment of women in the porn industry.

8)Orgy Treasure Mansion GOLD Ch. 2 - Be Honest
I felt the existential malaise could have been better developed, but the prose and art style were top notch

9)Going to the Futa Bath!! by Katou Jun
Wonderful depiction of the love that can blossom between social rejects due to their birth deformities(the women were born with cocks).

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I've seen people on Goodreads who have that "wants to read X books in a year" and it's set on like 150-200 books and they've already read triple digits. Every time I pull up one of those profiles, it's just wall-to-wall erotica short stories. Every single time.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I finished reading through Farid Attar's The Conference of the Birds twice. First time through I ended up looking up everything that I thought could be a reference or was and ended up expanding my knowledge on the Sunni version of Islam which I admittedly knew little about, plus I also ended up having a gap in my first read through because I left my book in another state for awhile. Second read through I just enjoyed the prose and how it all came together. There are some parts I feel like I missed due to not being a spinning dervish but alas that is life. My main problem with it though is just how faithful was the translator (in my case, I was reading the penguin classics edition) was to the original text. It flowed and rhymed to well in English for the most part. I once heard a translator say that a translation is a lot like a girlfriend: if it is pretty its not faithful, and if it is faithful it is not very pretty. I feel like my poetry goal is going great and even though I am going to read Les Chants de Maldoror (It is a poetic novel) I feel like I might expand my challenge and try to read 30 other novels this year as well. Here is where I am at so far:

1)Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
It is possibly the greatest love story ever told. What is more romantic then a man who despite what everyone around him wishes falls in love with a girl he is not supposed too. Much like in the tale of Romeo and Juliet, or the Twilight series where a hundred year old vampire lusts after a 17 year old girl.

2)A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
I am sure everyone here is familiar with this series so I will not go into much detail but I would like to highlight some of my favorite parts. Daenerys is a 14 year old who is forced to marry and forced to have sex with who is essentially Genghis Khan so that her brother can get a bunch of horse men to fight for him. :whatup:

3)Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima
Ever wonder what it would be like if you found out you were gay in world war 2 era (leading up to it as well) Japan? Yukio Mishima's semi-autobiographical (or so it claims) answers this. The protagonist jerks off to the thought of big sweating gladiators killing each other and also wants to gently caress one of his schoolmates in middle school. I identify with this book a lot and it is near and dear to my heart.

4)Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami (not the one you are thinking of though, the other one)
I knew this was going to be a classic when the very first sentence is, "The woman pushed on the baby's stomach and sucked its penis into her mouth; it was thinner than the American menthols she smoked and a bit slimy, like raw fish." After this riveting tale of brutality, sex and the slums of Tokyo believe me I reached for my Malbro Menthol Lights and lit one up.

5)Three Drops of Blood by Sadegh Hedayat
Technically it is a collection of short stories and this is a rereading but heck, I will throw it own here. I will count it as a quarter of a book. Hedayat is among my top three writers next to Dazai and the aforementioned Mishima. And this collection shows off some of his best writing. Believe me, at the end of it I was hoping that I could also one day wed and consummate my marriage with a 13 year old girl much like is written about within.(though the men getting married are usually about fourty or so, I am a ways off of that)

6)Shin Megami Tensei IV Strategy & Desing Book by ATLUS
While heavy on the designs for the game and a nice walk through to help me through the first quarter of so, I was hoping for a little bit more lore. I really want more background and motivations for my favorite demon, Mara.

Total so far on my new challenge 6/30

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 24, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
All right, I'm not sure if it's entirely kosher to do this without having posted the parameters, but here's where I've been focusing my read-powers lately. :cool:

1)Garfield by Jim Davis.
Who could argue with the travails of the young artist as he seeks love and companionship and must deal with the fickle nature of the Other? Long-running, deeply meaningful, a powerful work from a master of his craft.

2)Marmaduke by Brad and Paul Anderson.
On the flipside, here we have the established family, the center of post-Heideggerian moral centrism, intruded upon by chaos in the form of a zany dog, of unusually large size! Difficult at times to parse, there are some excellent study aids available for the uninitiated in Marmaduke :xd:.

I've been neglectful. :negative:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Been having a really tough time with Newspaper Spider-Man, but I'm hoping some of the character motivations will start to become more apparent as I get into the more personal, invasive stuff I hear comes up later on.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I haven't read much this year yet, but I'll get on it.

1) Liminal States I admit, I read it based on the idea that perhaps it would be amusing, or contain interesting characters, or otherwise worth the hours I spent reading it; it was none of those things. I liked how there were three lovely stories instead of one long lovely story though, it made it less lovely to read.

2) Ford Mustang ’94 through ’04 Manual by Haynes This was a bit dry, as it began and ended with technical specs, although the lists of noises and possible causes were extremely helpful once I deciphered how a thump and a clunk are dissimilar - listen for the bass! I wish the photographs included other color cars though; I can’t always tell if parts are in the same place on my red car as the grey car in the picture.

3) Is My Cat OK? My new feline friend appreciates my newfound interest in his wellbeing. I like that the title of the book is straightforward; it mirrored my exact thought as my cat paced the hallway for the third hour , yowling and scowling at me through the cracked bathroom door. It is written in a question and answer style, which seems okay. I distrust the author a bit; its written by the “Director of the Adobe Animal Medical Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico” which sounds completely made up.

4) The Kite Runner I picked this one up a little late, but I figured if it won awards it must be good in some way. I liked a lot of the book; most of the character building around the protagonist and his buddy was believable, if simplistic. Then there is rape, and bleeding, and much shame and honestly the book doesn’t recover because I got tricked into reading a scene about boys raping boys in startling detail compared to the rest of the book like he spends at least a full loving paragraph describing how he stared at the blood dripping from his buddys busted anus, destroyed by a childhood bully who is totally not gay just in it for the power which let me empathize with him because the few times ive made women bleed it was because I was too rough with them while not respecting their wishes in entirety and just like the antagonist I was also ultimately unfulfilled although I didn’t die yet.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Stravinsky posted:

4)Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami

If you're going to make parody posts could you at least not include descriptions of mothers sucking on their babies dicks?

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Xik posted:

If you're going to make parody posts could you at least not include descriptions of mothers sucking on their babies dicks?

Why not?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
"Haha, look at all those idiots posting about comic books in the book barn".
*posts about reading child porn erotica*

Yep, you sure showed those guys.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Xik posted:

Maybe he doesn't read child porn erotica, and is just pretending he does to make a "joke" or something. I heard of those before. Still insanely hosed up, of course, but that's what you get with "humor", whatever that is.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Xik posted:

If it makes you feel any better she was doing that to see if the baby would cry before removing the plastic she wrapped around it's head. She wanted to know if it would start crying as soon as she dumped it somewhere and left. I felt that it was a strong opening sentence to let you know exactly at what level of humanity you are dealing with in the book.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

And to have you know, none of the books I listed would be described as erotica but rather great novels (and a supplementary guide) by those who are celebrated authors and a company that makes on of the best lines of jrpgs around.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_n_zwIZk4&t=42s

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Xik posted:

Please don't post kiddie porn in The Book Barn, which is exactly the same as mentioning it, joke-wise.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Just finished 120 Days of Sodom: A Muppet Babies Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xik posted:

Yeah, this. As per the old forum title, Don't Post (Child) Porn Here. This isn't complicated, people.

This doesn't apply to books with actual literary or artistic value, obviously. I don't even care that much about adult erotica either way, as long as it's in book format. If you want to make a thread about your favorite Tom O'Finland coffee table books, that's fine. But if I know you're deliberately just trolling and you post a bunch of stuff that looks a hell of a lot like pure kiddie porn I'm not going to go research that poo poo to figure out whether or not it has literary or artistic merit or is just pure raw child porn. I don't want that stuff in my search history.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 24, 2014

• Locked thread