Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zorak posted:

Maro has indicated pretty heavily that R&D actually likes Morph a lot and it wouldn't be too surprising if it did make a return. He placed it pretty low on his Storm Scale.

It's interesting--I feel like while they wouldn't design Morph today, now that it exists they're a lot more open to reprinting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Would love to see a set released with both Morph and Levelers as mechanics.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

^^^That's probably too many "complexity points", unless it's in a supplemental product.

neetengie posted:

I could never fully like morph because I was always afraid of the "what if the opponent has removal/gets really aggressive :ohdear: " situation - I like the idea, but I could never play the cards properly.

The only thing I didn't like about morph was the Battering Craghorn or Skirk Commando conundrum, other than that it's one of my favorite mechanics.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Roadie posted:

Legendary Planeswalker Creature - Pentavite Triskelavite Koth
CARDNAME gets +1/+1 for each Pentavite or Triskelavite on the battlefield.
When CARDNAME deals damage, put that many loyalty counters on it.
+1: Put a 1/1 colorless Pentavite Triskelavite artifact creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
-1: You may search your library for a card named Pentavus or Triskelavus and reveal it. If you do, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
-4: For each Pentavite or Triskelavite on the battlefield, put two 1/1 colorless Pentavite Triskelavite artifact creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.

Hey, Pentavus owns. Especially if you bust out a doubling season + corpsejacker, you can easily pump out an infinite amount of 1/1 fliers. :colbert:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Would love to see a set released with both Morph and Levelers as mechanics.

Morph and Transform. On the same card. :getin:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Deofuta posted:

Is that really supposed to be Keranos? Looks more like Mogis from the horns and such.

EDIT: Oh, the image wasn't form the novel. Woops.

Allstone posted:

You're seeing the vision that Keranos sent, not Keranos.

To be fair, I was all about how closely the art mapped to the novel, when it doesn't quite. The art description for that was about Mogis wrecking a city, not about a horde of minotaurs backed by Xenagos wrecking a city.

Let's Read Journey Into Nyx: Chapter 2

(Jason Chan, Xenagos the Reveller, THS)

Xenagos has mostly repaired his valley from Nylea loving it up. His internal monologue is still ridiculously U/B. Red is not sociopathic: it hurts people because it's angry, passionate, uncontrolled, even just for the pleasure. But not because it feels *nothing* when they're hurt. Neither Red nor Green are deceitful: they're probably the two most 'we are what we are' colours. This is really starting to annoy me. (Justification: Xenagos' deception is so good, his cards reflect what people think he is, not what he actually is).

(Yeong-Hao Han, Golem token, THS)
(This was originally 3k by 5k pixels and over 30 goddamn MB. I though that would be a little inappropriate, even timg'd).

Petros, Purphoros' brother-creation, apparently wasn't let loose when Nylea broke all the chains and cages in the valley. He still labours uncomplainingly for Xenagos, for reasons I don't actually understand. Insufficient free will to do otherwise? Xenagos has some sort of compulsion on him? Xenagos is too powerful to escape? However it's come to pass, the smith is creating a horde of Nyxborn minotaurs, which Xenagos tries to give some truly pathetic names that sound like a six-year-old came up with them. No, they're loving Minotaurs, not "revel 'taurs".

Xenagos monologues crazily at Petros, by turns wanting to impress him, wanting admiration, trying to cause him pain by talking about Purphoros, trying to find out why he's miserable ... Xenagos comes off as pretty insane. I can't quite tell whether Helland means it to be so schizophrenic, given her problems with other characters in the past, but I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt in this context and say she has to have noticed. Petros remains silent throughout, barely hinting at defiance.

(Cyril van der Haegen, Eidolon of the Great Revel, JOU)

Xenagos' revels have given him vast accumulated power, enough to screw with oracles and the fabric of Nyx as we saw in the last book. He's astonished that the gods were so co-operative as to leave without him doing anything. Yet, the power gets to him a little. He doesn't like throwing raw strength of magic at people's minds and would rather use trickery. He's also not sure he's enjoying his revels as much as he did before he began amassing this power, even before he Sparked. (Meanwhile his high-off-their-tits satyrs are described as 'gilt headed', an expression I've never heard before and can't extract a meaning from despite knowing its component parts. Currently, a shiny rock fascinates them).

(Yeong-Hao Han, Bow of Nylea, THS)

He then monologues a little about Nylea's arrowhead still embedded in him as proof that the gods can't kill him, and calls mortals an 'ideal' which the gods and Nyxborn creations cannot aspire to. We appear to have a kind of reverse Plato here. Especially as Xenagos is trying to become a god, and therefore further from the ideal, it seems. (Also Plato had more drunken parties).

Xenagos has also been having Petros work on something else. He's seen Elspeth, seen what she can do, and her sword (though he doesn't want to speak her name). He hates/fears her, not because she's done much to mess with his plans - Polukranos was barely a distraction - but because he recognises her as another Planeswalker. So he's been having Petros make exquisite statues of her in bronze, then melting their faces off with a super-heated hand. Creepy fucker.

This chapter was quite short. The next will make up for it by being longer than the entirety of the book so far. The uneveness is not helpful while trying to write chapter-based reviews.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

One of the things I liked a lot about morph in OLS that can't be replicated now is that it's maybe the one time in the history of Magic that damage on the stack felt like a true feature instead of a weird rules quirk. It made creatures that morphed into things with low power but large toughness really fun. Wall of Deceit comes to mind as a really well-designed card that is completely ruined by the rules changes.

Elyv posted:

The only thing I didn't like about morph was the Battering Craghorn or Skirk Commando conundrum, other than that it's one of my favorite mechanics.

It helped a whole lot that Legions and Scourge didn't have much that penalized you for not blocking. Though that just made Skirk Commando even more powerful.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

change my name posted:

Hey, Pentavus owns. Especially if you bust out a doubling season + corpsejacker, you can easily pump out an infinite amount of 1/1 fliers. :colbert:

I'm still holding out hope for a legendary Dodecavus.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
How do you think they'd handle Morph's power level? Most colors are well beyond Gray Ogre prices for cheap creatures, so I'm curious what a modern environment with that kind of base power assumption would look like.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kasonic posted:

How do you think they'd handle Morph's power level? Most colors are well beyond Gray Ogre prices for cheap creatures, so I'm curious what a modern environment with that kind of base power assumption would look like.

Drop the unmorph costs to next-to-nothing. Skinthinner for instance would probably cost 1B instead of 3BB to unmorph, making his total cost 4B for a Nekrataal. Much more reasonable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kasonic posted:

I think you would need a lot of utility cards like Birchlore Rangers or Nantuko Vigilante. Very few Morph cards would end up constructed playable but it would be a pretty exciting return to the world of on board tricks in Limited.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

Drop the unmorph costs to next-to-nothing. Skinthinner for instance would probably cost 1B instead of 3BB to unmorph, making his total cost 4B for a Nekrataal. Much more reasonable.

The kind of cards playing around in the same environment as Morph also helps make it powerful. I mean, Morph plus any sort of flicker is pretty nuts with expensive morphs.

I mean, if you have this:

plus

You can flip over Akroma at instant speed for much cheaper and also just have a Resto angel hanging around. You don't even need to be playing Red to do it!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zorak posted:

The kind of cards playing around in the same environment as Morph also helps make it powerful. I mean, Morph plus any sort of flicker is pretty nuts with expensive morphs.

plus

You can flip over Akroma at instant speed for much cheaper and also just have a Resto angel hanging around. You don't even need to be playing Red to do it!

That would be neat, but Wizards would have to be careful in how they do that. If we got a cloudshift for that set, it'd need some reminder text. "(Cards return to the battlefield face up.)" would be easy enough.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Maro did a thing a few days back where he had people submit pairs of mechanics and he'd say which one would be more likely to return. Morph is more likely than traps and modular but less so than double faced cards and miracle.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Zorak posted:

plus

They did pretty much exactly this by putting Astral Slide in ONS. Cycling something to flicker an Exalted Angel and bringing it back face up happened more times than I can count.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I heard that double-faced cards were basically the lowest on their list of priorities due to the extra cost + the headaches it caused players?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sleepy Owl posted:

Maro did a thing a few days back where he had people submit pairs of mechanics and he'd say which one would be more likely to return. Morph is more likely than traps and modular but less so than double faced cards and miracle.

Less likely than Miracle.

Which should be right above Storm.

As if we needed another shining beacon for which to despise Mark "TurboRacist" Rosewater.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

change my name posted:

I heard that double-faced cards were basically the lowest on their list of priorities due to the extra cost + the headaches it caused players?

No, they just said that the printing costs made it prohibitive for anything other than expert expansions. So just no supplemental sets. Which means they're unlikely to be reprinted ever.

On the other hand, the new card frame being machine readable may correct that. We have no idea.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
If there's ever another Un-set, I desperately hope to see a double-faced card where both sides are split cards and each split card is a flip card and all of them have morph.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DFC+Flip is something that would be sufficiently silly.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Thanks for the advice on the tournament. I plan on taking a small bag with me with my deck, a couple bottles of water and snacks, and my binder. It is already plenty small since even with all my rares and uncommons in it that aren't in decks there are maybe 30 pages.

Hopefully I won't need the judges but I will ask for one if needed.

Now I just have to hope the last 2 cards I need for my white deck show up tomorrow.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Thanks for the advice on the tournament. I plan on taking a small bag with me with my deck, a couple bottles of water and snacks, and my binder. It is already plenty small since even with all my rares and uncommons in it that aren't in decks there are maybe 30 pages.

Hopefully I won't need the judges but I will ask for one if needed.

Now I just have to hope the last 2 cards I need for my white deck show up tomorrow.

Also take some paper to use as a lifepad and a pen/pencil. In addition, I don't know what REL states is, but keep in mind that if it's a high enough REL and you miss a trigger, that trigger is missed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dr. Stab posted:

DFC+Flip is something that would be sufficiently silly.

It would be great, they could print 5 different creatures per color all with the same cost and 2/2 stats and the reverse side has the actual creature.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zurai posted:

The resource system is actually quite different. In effect, all mana in Hex is colorless. As someone pointed out above, if you had 100 wild resources and 2 blood resources in Hex, you could theoretically cast 34 Murders. In Magic, if you had 100 forests and 2 swamps, you could cast 1 Murder (2 if it actually cost 2B). This has significant and far-reaching impact on gameplay and deck construction.

Oh so it's ripping off Magic and Kaijudo. This is literally how Kaijudo's resources work.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Oh so it's ripping off Magic and Kaijudo. This is literally how Kaijudo's resources work.
Also Duel Masters and Hecatomb. WotC really likes the system and it's how Magic worked originally too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Boco_T posted:

What was good about it early that they ruined?

Well, you see, there was a cool game where you could dropkick people in the nuts, distract them with boobs, and hit them with chairs. That's pretty much exactly what I want a card game to be like.

They even did the thing where you have pre-game archetyping going on. Think EDH (pick a commander, color identities) and roll it hard. By a few sets in, you'd be a specific wrestler who was face/heel (good guy/bad guy) and choose a brand (Raw/Smackdown). There were even some strategies/decks that could do both or neither for each of those choices.

Add to that, that they added 2 side decks to add depth/reduce variance.

A deck could turn out to be a Stone Cold Steve Austin Managed by Torrie Wilson, Face, RAW, Hell-In-A-Cell Match in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. You know, presuming your opponent didn't get to pick the Venue or Stipulation first.

Some people like games where a lot of pre-game stuff happens. Star Trek CCG got Crazy-Go-Nuts with this where you could have like 5 additional side decks and play like 6 cards before the game starts that let you fetch cards from your deck directly into play, so you'd start off with a pile of ships and dudes.

For Raw Deal, it kinda worked. You wound up metagaming around people's side decks with your own stuff and it was cool.

But certain things sucked. Hard.

Mechanically unique promos. One of the things that is a deal killer for me for any collectable game. WotC swore off of those years ago after the ~Nalathni Dragon Incident~. And a lot of them were tournament prizes. So the rich got richer, as they say. Win an early tournament and get a strong promo that lets you clean house in more tournaments. A vicious cycle. And really, with a smaller game like that, even eBay dries up real fast for supply (while the prices soar).

Initially, at least, a refusal to ban anything. Even when the cards are warping to the level of Skullclamp or Necropotence. An early example was a card that you could play 3x in your side deck before the game started that let you sacrifice it to draw a card and make your next move impossible to stop. So, you'd chain together 3 of those building up a huge hand and a massive advantage and just beat people T1 or put them so far in the hole they'd just lose without landing a move. Instead of banning it, they...

Make silver bullet solutions to problem cards. This was like Nagling Dredge on crack. So, every set was just rocking back and forth between this set's broken stuff and the stuff that punched a gaping hole in last set's broken stuff. The cards were often so narrow, their effect would literally be "Stop broken card X. Maybe draw a card or something."

At some point, between power creep and running out of ideas, they just started reprinting cards with the same name and a different effect. Like... "Kick 2.0" that was different than the original "Kick" but it had an icon or something on it that meant you couldn't use them in the same deck or something. And then, after 20 sets, they just completely did a 2.0 version of the game changing the name of everything (sort of like when Summons in MtG became Creatures and Interrupts became instants, but with every card type and keyword). I don't know how that went really, because I was long gone by then.

Honestly, though, a Wrasslin'-based deckbuilder game could be pretty cool. Even one that was just a new IP, not tied to an existing brand.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tharizdun posted:

Also Duel Masters and Hecatomb. WotC really likes the system and it's how Magic worked originally too.

Duel Masters is Kaijudo. It's the same game rebranded and relaunched, just about.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Toshimo posted:

Wrestling
Thanks for posting this. I wonder if it's possible in 2014 to make cube complete playsets of the early sets of the game and play/build it that way. I love wresting and it sounds very fun.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Japanese GPs are serious business.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

Also take some paper to use as a lifepad and a pen/pencil. In addition, I don't know what REL states is, but keep in mind that if it's a high enough REL and you miss a trigger, that trigger is missed.

What are the general rules on missed triggers at different events anyways? At the shop i play at, if it's a mandatory trigger and not a "may" trigger, we typically go back and resolve the trigger.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zorak posted:

looks like a scene straight out of an anime.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I didn't realize jaundice was so prevalent in Japan.

I'm sure its the lights reflecting off of the yellow ring

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What are the general rules on missed triggers at different events anyways? At the shop i play at, if it's a mandatory trigger and not a "may" trigger, we typically go back and resolve the trigger.

At regular REL, that's exactly what you're supposed to do(assuming that not too much time has passed). If you're playing in a GPT or higher(I think, I don't play a lot of serious tournaments), your opponent isn't obligated to allow you to resolve your favorable triggers. If for example you forget to put a counter on a heroic dude when you target him and go straight into your attack, well, too bad.

Edit: At least, I believe that's how it works. I know we have a couple of judges who post in this thread so hopefully I'll get corrected if I'm wrong.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 16, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
More Vintage Masters spoilers:

Also, gallery was updated.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

At regular REL, that's exactly what you're supposed to do(assuming that not too much time has passed). If you're playing in a GPT or higher(I think, I don't play a lot of serious tournaments), your opponent isn't obligated to allow you to resolve your favorable triggers. If for example you forget to put a counter on a heroic dude when you target him and go straight into your attack, well, too bad.

Ok good, glad I've been doing it right. There's one guy here that gets really irritated when he isn't doing well and always tries to stop people from going back to their triggers, even if they've barely moved forward in steps. He also acts super annoyed any time you stop to do things like double check wording on his cards, he's pretty much an unfun person to play against.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Sorry if this has been discussed, but is it known whether Onslaught fetches are going to be in Vintage Masters?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed, but is it known whether Onslaught fetches are going to be in Vintage Masters?

I doubt it. They said there won't be any Modern legal cards and people would bitch about the lack of Zendikar enemy fetches.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 16, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
If they're not there, it'd only be because of them coming to Modern.

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Thanks for the advice on the tournament.

As far as rules/judge stuff is concerned, just play deliberately and announce your intent unambiguously (my attack phase begins, I declare attackers, you declare blockers, etc) when you think there might be odd interactions; don't let anybody rush you or get you on tilt and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Zorak posted:

I think this is from last week's first Big Magic Open. Big Magic is a major web/retail store here and with a little boost from SCG, they're trying to get their own Open series off the ground in Japan. Their mascot is a little dude with a blue afro who delivers your Magic cards and a lot of the staff were wearing these wigs all weekend.

Another highlight was a side event with a giant cube they used to play Momir Basic in paper. I'm sorry I couldn't get in on it but watching was a lot of fun.

• Locked thread