Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I fixed a method name today:

code:
localalizedSever: function() {

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

revmoo posted:

Actually I think what you just said perfectly illustrates the point I was trying to make.

but that's the exact opposite of your claim that if you succeeded you used the right tool?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This thread has a lot of wrong tools.

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog

Bongo Bill posted:

Nice!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

revmoo posted:

Actually I think what you just said perfectly illustrates the point I was trying to make.

Which I'm gathering now is that tools don't matter? Cool, I'll just keep using this hammer for everything then.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Plorkyeran posted:

but that's the exact opposite of your claim that if you succeeded you used the right tool?

One can succeed in the debate despite the use of the wrong argument

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Man you guys are spending 2+ pages on nitpicking revmoo's words when you could have gotten the gist of it from his original post.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

revmoo posted:

I'm simply pointing out that there are often non-technical reasons to use one tool over the other, even if that tool in question might be deemed "less good" by outside observers.

Steve French posted:

Which I'm gathering now is that tools don't matter? Cool, I'll just keep using this hammer for everything then.

It's a wonder that there are any strawmen left in the world after this thread.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Bongo Bill posted:

:thurman:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Man you guys are spending 2+ pages on nitpicking revmoo's words when you could have gotten the gist of it from his original post.

I am not nitpicking his words, and I did get the gist of it from his original post, and I think he is wrong.

The fact that there may be non-technical reasons to use a particular tool is not a blanket excuse for any use of a lovely tool.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Sneaking Mission posted:

What is the best number of lines to have?

I don't know, but it certainly isn't 19k. I decided to actually open it today and look around, and it's also all one class.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
This isn't funny.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
This thread is making me cry. In the same way that onions make me cry.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Zombywuf posted:

So long as I don't have to maintain, use, listen to Node.js devs claim they invented callbacks or crawl the resulting web of crap I'm cool with this.

So far I have been very lucky, and all of the people I meet using node have been pretty cool. I only encounter the zealots on internet comments.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tef posted:

I only encounter the zealots on internet comments.

For me, this is true for almost all zealotry. Code-related or not.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Hey guys, today I realized that JavaScript is not good, but is in fact bad! We need to replace it with

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hey guys, today I realized that JavaScript is not good, but is in fact bad! We need to replace it with

Coldfusion

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

Malbolge

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
NaCl

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Everyone go back to using flash

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Ithaqua posted:

Malbolge

Not even the language, the actual Malebolge

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
asm.js

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog

Suspicious Dish posted:

Node.js?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: dart

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
It's cool to write scripts in Node because it's really easy to write asynchronous or event-based code in it (for, like, a file watcher), Node is a fairly small runtime and easy to install, and NPM/Node modules don't have the dependency issues that Ruby or Python do (i.e. no virtual environments or Bundler).

Sometimes it's not cool to write scripts in Node because you have to install Node and JavaScript is not a well-made language.

I really don't think the argument goes any deeper than that :shobon:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think the original point was that there's choosing a language you know that might not be the best suited for the job because you know you'll finish it quicker that way, and then there's shoehorning a language/platform not at all suited to embedded systems in a fashion that you cut out a portion of the language's features and set it up so that varying amounts of whitespace can create timing differences.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

MUMPS on Morphine

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I had to install Node.js at work today, because ipython for some reason needs it to turn its files into static html. It was either that or a documentation generator that required pywin32, because spitting out html files really needs specific parts of the Windows API.
I have to hope there's a better way, or at least some reason why this is necessary.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

abraham linksys posted:

I really don't think the argument goes any deeper than that :shobon:

But is node appropriate for all projects, or not appropriate for any projects? WHICH!?!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

revmoo posted:

You know, I don't actually think you are, you just don't understand what I'm saying. Let's adjust your comment to reflect what I said:

"any tool that's good enough is the right tool if it allows a company to accomplish what it needs in the timeframe required to be successful in the marketplace"

Isn't that the justification used for every lovely piece of scientific code in existence? "It did what I wanted it to do within the required timeframe, nothing else matters" is a terrible way to design anything but a one-off script.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Not even the language, the actual Malebolge

Too late.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

It's cool to write scripts in Node because it's really easy to write asynchronous or event-based code in it

And this is what I was talking about.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ohgodwhat posted:

I had to install Node.js at work today, because ipython for some reason needs it to turn its files into static html. It was either that or a documentation generator that required pywin32, because spitting out html files really needs specific parts of the Windows API.
I have to hope there's a better way, or at least some reason why this is necessary.

Can't you hook up something like Jinja2?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

QuarkJets posted:

Isn't that the justification used for every lovely piece of scientific code in existence? "It did what I wanted it to do within the required timeframe, nothing else matters" is a terrible way to design anything but a one-off script.

The objective of scientific code isn't to produce reproducible, comprehensible, robust data processing applications, it's to Get Published, which terrible one-offs perfectly facilitate. This is a much larger problem within the scientific community than "oh scientists are just lazy."

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Actual code

code:
#delegate {font-size:16px; color:#000; background-color:#FFF; border-top: 1px; border-right: 1px; border-bottom: 1px;border-left: 1px; border-color: blue; border-style: solid}
"It makes the CSS file smaller"
"It makes it easier to read"

We automatically minify. Also note the border declaration
No it doesn't
I can't read the diff anymore
I hate you

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

quote:

It's cool to write scripts in Node because it's really easy to write asynchronous or event-based code in it

When all you have is screws, every tool becomes a screwdriver.

(You can write asynchronous code in a wide variety of languages and frameworks; see ASP MVC async controllers)

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I think the emphasis in that quote was on the word "easy" but continue

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

o.m. 94 posted:

Actual code

code:
#delegate {font-size:16px; color:#000; background-color:#FFF; border-top: 1px; border-right: 1px; border-bottom: 1px;border-left: 1px; border-color: blue; border-style: solid}
"It makes the CSS file smaller"
"It makes it easier to read"

We automatically minify. Also note the border declaration
No it doesn't
I can't read the diff anymore
I hate you

Graphic designers are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

QuarkJets posted:

A large portion of scientific code is a one-off script.