Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I hate the ones that log you out once a night during the evening after work hours. I was in the middle of a Diablo game :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pvt Dancer posted:

The only remotely reasonable ones are where the login/pass are your room number and last name, make it simple you assholes.

As someone with a 14 letters non-English last name, I'd like to disagree. Hotel staff can't loving spell.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

canoshiz posted:

I hate the ones that log you out once a night during the evening after work hours. I was in the middle of a Diablo game :negative:

Since those are generally 24 hour expiration, when I was traveling and gaming, I'd change the MAC address of my laptop before I connected the evening of my check-in, then change it back the next morning. That way, my session expired just before breakfast instead of during prime WoW time.

I got sick of traveling with two laptops, though, so I've long since given up trying to game on the road.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Video card makers definitely underestimate the external graphics market. Give us external PCIe already.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I got sick of traveling with two laptops, though, so I've long since given up trying to game on the road.

Nowadays everyone just plays Candy Crush :downsrim: PS Vitas are still great though! And PS Vita TV is a nifty device, small thin, just plug it into an HDMI port and get pretty decent gaming

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 16, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The worst hotel internet I've seen was one whose "free wifi" login page said that you were subject to reasonable usage constraints, but they didn't elaborate as to what those were.

Turned out that it was configured such that if you downloaded more than 250MB within an hour, you were put in the penalty box and throttled down to dial-up speeds for 60 minutes.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

kitten smoothie posted:

The worst hotel internet I've seen was one whose "free wifi" login page said that you were subject to reasonable usage constraints, but they didn't elaborate as to what those were.

Turned out that it was configured such that if you downloaded more than 250MB within an hour, you were put in the penalty box and throttled down to dial-up speeds for 60 minutes.

Yeah you must be punished for forcing them to maintain basic infrastructure. Maybe they could dim the lights as well if you use the blowdryer longer than 35 seconds.

Think of it, if a chain somehow entered the 21st century and made a USP of having blazing fast net connection I would drive half an hour extra and make up all sorts of excuses to stay there.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Pvt Dancer posted:

Think of it, if a chain somehow entered the 21st century and made a USP of having blazing fast net connection I would drive half an hour extra and make up all sorts of excuses to stay there.

Really? I wouldn't. Most important thing to me when traveling for work is walking distance to the client. Just tether as needed and/or leave your hotel room once a while? :v:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shbobdb posted:

Meh, I just expense that poo poo. Ain't no thang. I feel worse for regular people staying at the hotel. Same deal with hotel booze, food and room service. It makes sense that it is all geared towards people who travel for business since we are easily their largest customer group but there should be some sort of concession for normal travelers. It's some real 1% bullshit that drives regular people towards Econolodge and poo poo like that.

The prices for stuff at hotels and airports never made sense to me until I started traveling for work.

$20 for 24 hours of internet? Sure, put it on my bill.
$14 a night to park? Sounds good, where do I sign?
$15 for a small bag of beef jerky and a bottle of water? Whatever, just make sure to give me the receipt.

The only travel thing that I'm actually more likely to spend money on when I'm traveling for pleasure is Skyclubs. I can't expense those kind of fees so with work on a long layover I'm likely to just hang out at an airport bar or something where I can expense it. But when I'm paying for it myself the $25 (or $27 now) can actually be worthwhile if I'm going to be in there for a few hours.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yeah $8 for a skunk rear end Sam Adams is a worse value than $20 for internet, you're just preying on holiday travelers phobias at that point.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Well, booze is already an amazing money maker. It's mostly water anyways.

Do you guys ever see the same prostitute working in your hotel bar? It's kind of weird when some of the wait staff knows you and this girl wears the same pretty dress recognizes you as well

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Apparently I spend so much time at the Centurion Lounge in DFW that everyone there knows I like having Balvenie Doublewood. Then again, there's maybe 20+ people in there at a time, so it's easier for them to feel out regulars rather than the more crowded airline lounges.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Man National Emerald Exec is so much better than Hertz its ridiculous. The amount of nice cars in the bigger cities is really great.

caberham posted:

Well, booze is already an amazing money maker. It's mostly water anyways.

Do you guys ever see the same prostitute working in your hotel bar? It's kind of weird when some of the wait staff knows you and this girl wears the same pretty dress recognizes you as well

Some places just wearing a nice suit makes you a prostitute magnet. Thanks for treating your business trip as a fuckcation and setting the standard, grody dudes. :what:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm pissed at National since they used MyKey to limit the max speed of my rented Mustang to 80 and I had to bust rear end to make it to O'Hare last week. Still, I got a V6 mustang for no addition cost and it was kind of fun.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Uncle Jam posted:

Some places just wearing a nice suit makes you a prostitute magnet. Thanks for treating your business trip as a fuckcation and setting the standard, grody dudes. :what:

I don't think I've ever seen one in Europe, but maybe I'm just terribly naive and/or stay in the wrong (right?) hotels.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Pvt Dancer posted:

I don't think I've ever seen one in Europe, but maybe I'm just terribly naive and/or stay in the wrong (right?) hotels.

Yeah its pretty city specific, but its kind of funny to change into my grunge clothes and never getting bothered after that. Its worse in Asia.

My experience in Europe is that in most places there is a single street/block set up for all of that and outside of that there isn't really anything going on.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm pissed at National since they used MyKey to limit the max speed of my rented Mustang to 80 and I had to bust rear end to make it to O'Hare last week. Still, I got a V6 mustang for no addition cost and it was kind of fun.

Jokes on you, all roads leading to ORD never get above 20mph.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Hertz limited the speed of the BMW I had in Germany last fall to 135mph. Jerks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The first-worldest of first world problems.

Last time I got an upgrade, it was to a loving Impala. Thing looked like a boat, drove like one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Belldandy posted:

Jokes on you, all roads leading to ORD never get above 20mph.

I was driving up from Peoria, so knowing that all the roads near ORD are slow as gently caress, my goal was to make up time in the incredibly fun and exciting stretches of I55.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FrozenVent posted:

Last time I got an upgrade, it was to a loving Impala. Thing looked like a boat, drove like one.

Whenever I get an Impala they always seem to be the most beaten down too.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

Uncle Jam posted:

Whenever I get an Impala they always seem to be the most beaten down too.

I hate Impala's. It's like Chevy's ultimate gently caress you to all business travelers. Same goes for the Dodge Avenger.

On the other hand, the Chevy Cruz isn't that bad. I also do a :dance: when I score an Altima or Hyundai Sonata - that's one nifty car.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
I keep getting stuck in weird SUVs and I would rather drive an Impala than an SUV.

EDIT: gently caress Avis.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Belldandy posted:

I keep getting stuck in weird SUVs and I would rather drive an Impala than an SUV.

That was a big problem I had with Hertz. They'd try to give me SUVs all the time. Their definition of "upgrade" and my definition of "upgrade" were two very different things. Giving me an SUV when I reserved a mid-sized is not an upgrade. It is just a bigger car than I need.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you ever travel to Newfoundland, be advised they charge extra for cars with winter tire.

Meaning they keep cars around with all-seasons. In the winter. In Newfoundland.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
Two canceled flights and 4 hours delay is worth it when it's not possible to complete our business on Friday and I get a free weekend in nyc!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The brand-new redesigned Impalas are really loving nice, though. Probably one of my favorite rental cars to get.

edit: Also, gently caress SUVs. I went to a lot once, I think in Boston, and all they had were horrible Chevy Captivas, Terrains and minivans.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I'd argue the thread on FT where people were complaining about how many portions of caviar they were able to get while flying CX in F was a more first-worldest of problems...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-asia-miles/1156729-what-your-max-amount-caviar.html

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The worst rental I've ever gotten was a Kia Soul. Just because the seats are somehow asymmetrical and very uncomfortable. I ended up doing 300 miles on the road that trip D:

kansas posted:

I'd argue the thread on FT where people were complaining about how many portions of caviar they were able to get while flying CX in F was a more first-worldest of problems...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-asia-miles/1156729-what-your-max-amount-caviar.html

Man they sure do get amped about getting an extra wholesale farmed caviar tins which are probably like $20 each.

Looking at the Cathay F food, its certainly better than the long haul meals I've had, but its still airplane food and can be bettered at any halfway OK restaurant...

Its a good reminder not to fall down the rabbit hole anyway.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 19, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah if at any moment you ask yourself "is what I'm doing something that FT people would do" and the answer is "yes" you should stop doing that thing.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've seen it before but :lol: at that caviar thread

There's a pretty clear line between convenience that you start to appreciate after x days on the road and being a massive baby that needs his butt powdered every time he shits himself. FT has some decent info but god can the people there be insufferable whiners.

e: Hertz gave me a Volvo S60 as an upgrade from midsize, thank god we don't have SUVs in Europe.

Also they're complaining about it being farm caviar as if there's any other kind

Knitting Beetles fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 19, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of car rentals, am I going to be really boned renting a van in Italy? It's visiting a whole bunch of factories and there are 5 of us. I plan on renting a van instead of taking trains for the added flexibility.

Can I just use smart phone data with google navigation or do I really really need to spend 20 Euros a day on navigation?

We will also drive from Stuttgart to Nuremberg, to Dresden, and then to Germany. Hope I don't die :ohdear:

Oh any Euro goons? would love to hangout for dinner

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

caberham posted:

Speaking of car rentals, am I going to be really boned renting a van in Italy? It's visiting a whole bunch of factories and there are 5 of us. I plan on renting a van instead of taking trains for the added flexibility.

Can I just use smart phone data with google navigation or do I really really need to spend 20 Euros a day on navigation?

No, you can get vans in Europe but they're not super common in the inventories so you want to reserve one. Giggle maps and data will work OK but data roaming is pricey - be ready for that or buy a local SIM for data or get a data access point in Italy or something.

caberham posted:

We will also drive from Stuttgart to Nuremberg, to Dresden, and then to Germany. Hope I don't die :ohdear:

This sentence tells me you definitely should have some kind of navigational aid. :v:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I already reserved 2 automatic transmission vans, one for Italy, one for Germany.

And I will buy a data card for my pocket wifi.

A sat nav costs 30 euro a day so I'm trying to save the company money.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

caberham posted:

Yeah so um...

Buy a small GPS unit once you get there, it'll be cheaper than 30 euros a day or data roaming.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 19, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

Yeah I already reserved 2 automatic transmission vans, one for Italy, one for Germany.

And I will buy a data card for my pocket wifi.

A sat nav costs 30 euro a day so I'm trying to save the company money.

Probably a hell of a lot cheaper to just rent a GSM cell phone and use that for your GPS, which you can probably do through your provider. Or figure out if your provider will allow you to unlock your phone for international travel (if it can do GSM). I'm on Verizon with a Galaxy S3 and when I went to Europe last year I paid $20/100mb. Which was worth it to me because there was zero complications or hassle. After I landed I just waited a few minutes for the phone to figure out where it was and I was off and running. As long as you don't stream a bunch of stuff 100mb can get you pretty far.

With the way prices are dropping on low end smartphones. You could even just buy a Lumia 520 type phone plus a SIM card for a lot cheaper than renting a GPS.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Companies are sending you and 4 others to Europe yet are worried about 30 euros a day for a device to help you navigate?

Why risk missing meetings or worse trying to save a few euros for your company? This thread has really confused me recently. I'm not saying max out all expenses but drat, it's not your money so sometimes just pay the fees. Companies with employees who travel will not be made or broken over travel reimbursements.

I guess I should be thankful for my apparently liberal reimbursement requirements.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Too many companies worry about the peanuts and ignore the elephants.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I dunno if asking if there is an easy way to not spend a couple hundred bucks on GPS is really a peanuts thing. It is just seeing if there is an easy way to not waste a bunch of money. The impression I got from his post wasn't that his company was refusing to spend 20 Euro a day on a GPS rental. Just that he was checking into other, cheaper, options. I'd be doing the same in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

sellouts posted:

Companies are sending you and 4 others to Europe yet are worried about 30 euros a day for a device to help you navigate?

Why risk missing meetings or worse trying to save a few euros for your company? This thread has really confused me recently. I'm not saying max out all expenses but drat, it's not your money so sometimes just pay the fees. Companies with employees who travel will not be made or broken over travel reimbursements.

I guess I should be thankful for my apparently liberal reimbursement requirements.

I think those are blanket policies in most cases for the folks who do one meeting a year and get a rental car from SFO to an office in the South Bay. If you think about it, many companies have a sales force of several thousand, plus other BUs that travel. That adds up if everyones getting a GPS, even for a small number of trips. I have a pretty large team under me and approve expense reports, most of the time for stuff like that, if theres a good reason it doesn't get questioned.