Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Xerophyte posted:

... is that an actual thing that the actual game actually lets you say in actual press conferences? Because that's amazing.

The "before adding" bit is what I typed into the "additional comment" box. Depending on what you say the game has a few different ways to couch the quote, cussing a blue streak will have something like "before issuing a torrent of curses." The bit about Frost being a twit is all game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stopwatch Crash
Sep 30, 2008
I kind of wondered if Mr. Cheat Code was going to want a move when you posted the player status chart and his was the same as the guy most strongly agitating for a move.

Maybe he just wants to play some real games again. Maybe he's just sick of being kept as some sort of football pet by a coach with a bizarre god complex. Would that be so hard to understand?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Who backloaded all of Manchester U's games? They've had 3-4 games in hand for just about the entire season.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

habeasdorkus posted:

The "before adding" bit is what I typed into the "additional comment" box. Depending on what you say the game has a few different ways to couch the quote, cussing a blue streak will have something like "before issuing a torrent of curses." The bit about Frost being a twit is all game.

Now that you say it I think you've mentioned that that's how it works before. Oh well, slightly less amazing than the game having the option for you to publicly report yourself in mourning for Player X in some drop down but still good.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

drat the top 4 spots are super crowded. The fact that we're only 5 points out of first keeps feeding my delusions that Wrexham could win the league.

Also because I was in :spergin: mode, I noticed that you keep typing 2020 even though its 2021 now. Just saying.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:smith: I don't like the fact that Bailey wants to leave, but it makes sense since he never gets playing time anymore. Would it be possible (if someone who won the guessing competition did this) to give him super-stats for a season and then revert him back to normal?

Wrexham's doing superb in the rankings so far, but at what costs...

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Couldn't you just bump up Bailey's wages beyond what a lower team could offer? If you really want to keep him?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
In FM12 I took a team from Conference North to the Premier League, and the entire way through I had one guy who I let see the field at every step, Lacine Cherif, who was one of my first signings and was used sparingly in the Premiership when I needed a cover. I was probably made worse by relying on a player who just wasn't good enough anymore.

As nice as the past is, we can't always hold on to it. Sometimes you've just got to... let go.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

BurningStone posted:

Couldn't you just bump up Bailey's wages beyond what a lower team could offer? If you really want to keep him?

If he'll agree to negotiate a contract with us. Right now I don't think he will.

Dreamsicle posted:

drat the top 4 spots are super crowded. The fact that we're only 5 points out of first keeps feeding my delusions that Wrexham could win the league.

Yeah, but as Bobbin Threadbare noted Man U has a bunch of games in hand. They've only lost three times all season, expect them to drop points and you'll be disappointed.

Their schedule is whack because they played in the Community Shield, the Super Cup, the Club World Cup, have made deep runs to at least the semi-finals of the Capital One and FA Cup, and are still alive in the Champion's League. They have a very, very crowded fixture list that's required a lot of postponements and rescheduling. They've played at least five competitive matches a month this year, and they've played nine matches in a month once and eight matches in a month twice.

By way of comparison we've never had more than seven matches in a month, and have twice only had three matches. If we beat Liverpool to make the FA Cup final we'll play 47 competitive matches this season. If Man U gets to the FA Cup final and the Champion's League final, they'll play 68 competitive matches.

eta: They've already won the Community Shield, the Super Cup, and the Club World Cup. If they take the FA Cup, the Champion's League, and the Premier League they'll have accomplished the Sextuple, the only trophy they'll be missing is the Capital One Cup.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 15, 2014

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
What's the purpose to all these smaller tournaments? Is it older competitions that are kept around for tradition's sake, and would a megabastard be smarter to tank these smaller deals and focus on Premire/Champions League games?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

C. Everett Koop posted:

What's the purpose to all these smaller tournaments? Is it older competitions that are kept around for tradition's sake, and would a megabastard be smarter to tank these smaller deals and focus on Premire/Champions League games?

The community shield and super cup are one-off competitions, the former between the Premier League and FA Cup champions as a season opener, the latter between the Champions League and Europa Cup winners. They aren't generally considered trophies for -tuples. The Club World Cup is on a slightly larger scale, featuring each continental champion, but the strongest continents such as Europe and South America only need to show up for a couple of games. Again, it isn't usually counted as a big one, no open top bus parades for it. The ones which do count are the two domestic trophies, the league and the two European trophies, for a maximum of a Quadruple.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

Obviously the Champions League is The Trophy, winning it is the most prestigious trophy in the game, so all clubs will focus on that if given the chance. They'll also focus on the league since getting to the Champions League is very significant as well.

The FA Cup is very prestigious and most megabastard teams will not tank it, usually when they get knocked off by a lower league team it's because their reserves should be enough to win it. It's more useful to teams in the lower leagues because the further you go the more prize money, which can be very useful, and maybe, just maybe, if the stars align you can get to Wembley. Naturally, for teams in the lowest leagues, the Skrill Premier/North/South, getting to the later rounds with the Premier League teams, landing a match at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge can be a huge boost to your club for years, even if God himself wouldn't be enough to get you a win.

The League Cup is for the upper four divisions, the League 1/2/Championship and Premiership. Megabastards don't really care about it, since they're competing for Champions League spots- the Europa League is generally viewed as a consolation prize, but they'll naturally take the chance to add some hardware to their cabinet if they can get far enough. For teams below that getting into Europe is usually a big boost to prestige and finances. Most big teams will usually play younger players, letting their older guys rest and such.

The Johnston's Paint Trophy and FA Trophy, respectively, are both pretty much for smaller teams to get a chance to go to Wembley and some hardware. Important to those teams, but insignificant in the bigger picture.

The Club World Cup is just generally viewed as second-tier because, even if in theory it should be the most prestigious tournament in the club game, it's that the European and South American teams are so much better than the field and those competitions so much more prestigious clubs usually regard it as an afterthought. It's a FIFA invention to crown a true 'world champion'. The competition's probably more valuable to North American, African, Asian, and Oceanic teams because their respective continental championships aren't nearly as big as the European and South American cups.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, the Super Cup and Community Shield are glorified friendlies. The Club World Cup is a nice trophy for a non-European club to win, but for a European Club it means traveling a really long way to play two crap games.

Even the biggest clubs try to win the FA Cup, but the League/Capital One Cup is distinctly secondary to the other spoils available. Clubs will play a lot of reserves/youth players and not feel too bad about getting knocked out of it. Likewise the Europa League is considered a bit of a booby prize by English teams. You end up having to do a lot of travel early in the season for not much reward, all while trying to keep pace in the Premier League with the clubs who finished just below you last year and who don't have thousands of miles of flying to do mid-week. Worse, even when you make it to the knockout rounds you find a whole bunch of Champion's League clubs that finished third in their group suddenly in the draw. Combine that with crap monetary rewards and you can see why some people think it's bullshit. The Europa League winner is going to start getting a Champion's League berth in coming years, so there'll actually be a reason clubs want to win it.

Or what AJ_Impy and Sky Shadowing said.

There is something to be said for winning every competition you enter, though.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I read the Deadspin article the other day about no one giving a poo poo about the Europa finale and was wondering what the tier list was. Be like Duke trying to win the CBI during the middle of the NCAA tournament, I guess.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

More like the NIT. Minnesota was plenty happy to have won it this year, but they'd rather have made the Big Dance even if it meant going out in the first round.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 15, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
*Clings to her Bailey uniform, weeping.*

It's like LeBron all over again. :qq:

Also gently caress you for slamming Ohio several updates back! I'm sure the team is perfectly--
Oh who am I kidding! :gonk:

We are doing so well, but Bailey... :smith:

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
But then again, for teams like Bolton and, this season, Hull, the Europa League is pretty much a once in a lifetime chance to play in Europe. Hell, Bolton managed a 2-2 draw with Bayern in Munich a few years ago that is one of the high points of the club's history to this day!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

Thanks for the responses. I read the Deadspin article the other day about no one giving a poo poo about the Europa finale and was wondering what the tier list was. Be like Duke trying to win the CBI during the middle of the NCAA tournament, I guess.

Now you need to explain that analogy...

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Munin posted:

Now you need to explain that analogy...

American college basketball has a number of postseason tournaments. The biggest is the NCAA Tournament, AKA March Madness. Below that is the National Invitational Tournament, the NIT. Below that is the College Basketball Invitational, the CBI, which a lot of fans don't even know exists- a lot of times big teams turn down an invitation because they feel it's beneath them.

Apparently, there's also the CIT, which is equal to the CBI in terms of "what? that exists?"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

And Duke are about the biggest megabastards there are when it comes to college basketball. I had to disown my brother when he went there for grad school on general principle.

But yeah, for the teams who don't have Champion's League aspirations, the Europa League can be a good tournament. Even for the teams just barely on the outside looking in, like Tottenham and Everton, winning the Europa League would be a huge accomplishment.

Jenner posted:

Also gently caress you for slamming Ohio several updates back! I'm sure the team is perfectly--
Oh who am I kidding! :gonk:

The Columbus Crew actually have a really nice, soccer-only stadium that the US National Team regularly uses for international matches, especially the World Cup qualifiers against Mexico. The USMNT has beaten Mexico four times in a row in Columbus, each time by the score dos a cero, 2-0.

But it's still in Columbus, Ohio. :)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sky Shadowing posted:

American college basketball has a number of postseason tournaments. The biggest is the NCAA Tournament, AKA March Madness. Below that is the National Invitational Tournament
AKA the "Not Invited Tournament". It's the one that the best teams that don't make it to the NCAA Tournament go to.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, for the Brits here, the way it works is that in the NCAA tournament there is a field of 66 teams. Every conference gets exactly 1 automatic bid, regardless of how powerful that conference is, for a total of 32 teams. All but 1 conference holds a postseason tournament with all their teams, and the winner of that gets the NCAA bid (the exception is the Ivy League, who gives their bid to the conference regular season champion).

After that the remaining 36 are selected by a committee of people generally related to college basketball. Then all the teams are seeded 1-16 into four regions based on how big of a chance the committee thinks they have of winning, regardless of whether they auto-qualified or not, so a team that got an at-large bid could be seeded #1, while the four #16s are pretty much teams that just can't match the higher teams but won their conference tourney. All games are played at neutral courts, but the top seeds are generally placed in the brackets that are closest to home. Semifinals and finals are held at a specific city, and they're generally called the Final Four, nowadays always held in the center of a domed football stadium in front of crowds of 70k+.

The NIT field consists of the teams who just barely missed out on at-large bids in the NCAA field and teams that won their regular season championship but not their tournament championship. For small schools this is still a huge accomplishment, for bigger, more prestigious schools... not so much. It's 32 teams, and the finals are held at Madison Square Garden.

Then below that are the CBI and CIT, which nobody at big schools really even knows exist.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
68 teams, but yeah. The CBI/CIT are fairly recent inventions as well, with the NCAA Tournament and NIT being around for a while. They used to not be concurrent and the NIT was actually the bigger deal, with schools trying to win both. City College of New York (CCNY) is the only one I know of to do the double but I'm probably wrong and I don't feel like looking it up.

There's a Preseason NIT but it's not important, it's just a tournament that has its finals at Madison Square Garden.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Don't forget to mention that players aren't paid to participate in this extravaganza. Despite, as Sky Shadowing said playing in front of 70+ thousand people in the final four games.

Also the tv contract for televising the NCAA tourney was like 10 billion dollars. It's a big reason why I'm gravitating (towards soccer)

Edit: Sorry to ruin your joke bobbin

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 16, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Heck, the players not only aren't paid, they can't do anything that violates the sham "ideals of amateurism." Like for example selling a rap song you created. It's a complete crock of poo poo, especially as the big time coaches in the money sports (football and basketball) and athletic directors at the colleges get paid literally millions of dollars a year. The NCAA is a warped and evil cartel perpetuated by forced unpaid labor. Basketball players cannot join the pro league right out of high school, so they're essentially forced to play for free for a year. Pro gridiron football doesn't have any official rule on this, but is happy to let the college ranks serve as de facto minor leagues that they don't have to pay for. It rivals FIFA and UEFA in scum and villainy.

That still doesn't stop me from following college basketball closely, Go Golden Gophers! Go Minutemen!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sneaky Fast posted:

Don't forget to mention that players aren't paid to participate in this extravaganza. Despite, as Sky Shadowing said playing in front of 70+ thousand people in the final four games.

Also the tv contract for televising the NCAA tourney was like 10 billion dollars. It's a big reason why I'm gravitating

Student athlete unions are no reason to start your own star system. :yayclod:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Club World Cup is weird. No one in Europe has really given a gently caress about it for a long time, but it's kinda a big deal in South America still. It's basically our shot at the huge megabastards, a chance to say "we beat the biggest of the biggest fair and square" right to the faces of all people that think South American club football is shite compared to everywhere else. For the longest time it was just a straight Europe/SA match-up, but since the mid-00s, it added in Asian, Australian, North American and African clubs to the mix, making it a six-team tournament. They used to be warm-up matches before the expected finals and nothing else. However, in the last few years, we've had a couple of big upsets - both Internacional in 2010 and Atlético-MG in 2013 lost in the semis to underdogs, becoming the butt of jokes in Brazil for the longest time. That made for a weird dynamic when it comes to the CWC down here lately. We know European teams tank it and it's just the cherry on the top of the Libertadores, but we have to take it seriously otherwise we might get bumped by a weaker team.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Student athlete unions are no reason to start your own star system. :yayclod:

Hahahaha this made me laugh a lot. Very funny

Mugabe
Dec 4, 2012

I have died many times. I have actually beaten Jesus Christ because he only died once.

habeasdorkus posted:

Heck, the players not only aren't paid, they can't do anything that violates the sham "ideals of amateurism." Like for example selling a rap song you created. It's a complete crock of poo poo, especially as the big time coaches in the money sports (football and basketball) and athletic directors at the colleges get paid literally millions of dollars a year. The NCAA is a warped and evil cartel perpetuated by forced unpaid labor. Basketball players cannot join the pro league right out of high school, so they're essentially forced to play for free for a year. Pro gridiron football doesn't have any official rule on this, but is happy to let the college ranks serve as de facto minor leagues that they don't have to pay for. It rivals FIFA and UEFA in scum and villainy.

That still doesn't stop me from following college basketball closely, Go Golden Gophers! Go Minutemen!

At Indiana University, a School known for it's Basketball Team the most highly paid person at the School was the Basketball Coach who made over 1.5 Million USD a year. The President of the School made only 700,000.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Hell, often football coaches are the highest paid state employee. I know for sure that Chip Kelly was when he was at the university of Oregon.

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture

Sky Shadowing posted:

The NIT field consists of the teams who just barely missed out on at-large bids in the NCAA field and teams that won their regular season championship but not their tournament championship. For small schools this is still a huge accomplishment, for bigger, more prestigious schools... not so much. It's 32 teams, and the finals are held at Madison Square Garden.

Imagine the laughs Man U would receive if next year they lost in the first round of the Europa League (they are in that right?). A Megabastard losing in an under-tournament is like what Kentucky did 2 years ago, with a team some "experts" claimed could go undefeated, but didn't make March Madness, went to very small school Robert Morris in the NIT, and lost by 2. Yes Kentucky did have an injury to one of the best players in the nation at the time, but they have/had as much depth as the MegaBastard clubs in Futbol.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Sicke posted:

Imagine the laughs Man U would receive if next year they lost in the first round of the Europa League (they are in that right?). A Megabastard losing in an under-tournament is like what Kentucky did 2 years ago, with a team some "experts" claimed could go undefeated, but didn't make March Madness, went to very small school Robert Morris in the NIT, and lost by 2. Yes Kentucky did have an injury to one of the best players in the nation at the time, but they have/had as much depth as the MegaBastard clubs in Futbol.

Nope, Man U did not even make the Europa League. Finished 7th, so would have gone, I think had both finalists of the FA Cup and the League Cup champions finished in the Top 4, but missed out.

And according to the Google link I read, they were absolutely ecstatic about missing it- no distraction from the League next season.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Manchester United finishing below Spurs means that, in the past four seasons, Tottenham Hotspur have finished above every other team at least once.

Except one.

There's a reason I want to wipe those bastards out in digital effigy, given half a chance.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

Manchester United finishing below Spurs means that, in the past four seasons, Tottenham Hotspur have finished above every other team at least once.

Except one.

There's a reason I want to wipe those bastards out in digital effigy, given half a chance.

Yeah, we've been hugely consistent. Since Wenger joined the club we never dropped below fourth and were first or second from the season after he joined until 2004 when Abramovich and his likes appeared on the scene.

We've only been the bridesmaid for a very long time now though. I really half expect us to do the same against Hull this Sunday as we did against Birmingham.

[edit] Talking of FA Cup and us perhaps facing Arsenal. Look at Tie 18: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E2%80%9392_FA_Cup#Third_round_proper

Munin fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 16, 2014

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
TIL sport leagues in the USA are dumb and overly complicated as hell

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

FailAtMagic posted:

This is what happens without promotion/relegation...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

FailAtMagic posted:

College sports are a lot different than professional sports, largely because you have literally hundreds of colleges and universities (351 in the case of basketball, to be precise) playing at the top level. With that many teams you have to split them into regional conferences for structure. The major professional leagues make a lot more sense, finish the season in a playoff spot and there's a series of knockout rounds featuring either a best of 7 game series (NBA, NHL, MLB) or a 1 game playoff (NFL) culminating in a championship face-off.

Also, we don't have the additional competitions like soccer does, such as the Champion's League and the Cup tournaments. All we have to focus on is the regular season, and if our team stinks we don't even have to think about the playoffs. Of course, more and more teams are getting into the playoffs, ranging from 33% of them (baseball) to 60% (NBA basketball), so the regular season loses some level of importance when all but the really bad teams make it in.

Now, for a huge derail of my own thread:

The real issue with big time college sports is that they're a multi-billion dollar industry (College football is the third biggest sport by revenue in America, College Basketball is smaller but is still a billion dollar industry) where the players get zilch, and are actively hosed over by the NCAA if they make any money while at the school.

The NCAA required a University of Oklahoma football player and his girlfriend to sign an affidavit that they were actually dating because she owned season tickets to Oklahoma Thunder (NBA) games and they thought the player might be getting an "impermissible benefit" because they went to the games together. There was just a football recruit at Boise State University who was homeless and sleeping in a car, but the university told people who didn't even work for the college but merely attended to not help him because it might violate NCAA regulations. Shabazz Napier, the brilliant point guard who just led 7th seeded Connecticut basketball to the NCAA title in March, went to bed hungry while AT SCHOOL because he didn't have money for food due to NCAA rules.

The main defense against paying players is that it would be difficult to figure out which ones should get paid and how much, or that some of them already get scholarships that pay for some or all of their tuition, but not necessarily for their room and board, school supplies, or food. And the players are expected to work 60+ hour weeks, while also keeping up with their academic duties, during their sports season. All the NCAA has to do is start holding March Madness in Qatar and they'll be able to top Sepp Blatter and his cronies when it comes to sheer pompous supervillainy.

It doesn't help that the top paid government employee in all but 11 states is a basketball or football coach:

eta: And yeah, I'd noticed that win over Arsenal in the FA Cup. :) First we have to make it to the final, though.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 16, 2014

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I'm suddenly starting to understand a little bit the idea of teachers giving football players higher grades than they've earned.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it's kind of amazing what unrepentant poo poo-stains the NCAA are. Luckily these issues come closer and closer to boiling over every year. This year the NCAA finally admitting that yes, allowing you to actually FEED YOUR loving PLAYERS is not tantamount to grand bribery. :rolleyes: Baby steps, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Who's the non-AU Man City manager? I don't remember him being mentioned before.

• Locked thread