Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
From a technical standpoint, I can see them maintain a pretty good effects standard if they can really nail down the "make Flash go fast" process to a functional workflow.

Probably won't see tornadoes in every episode, more's the pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wish I had started Arrow when it first came on, but I thought it was just going to be Smallville again with it being Green Arrow, but never actually being Green Arrow and tons of really terrible versions of other characters all due to the producers and show runners being afraid to actually do comics stuff, even though the show was pretty much a comic book.

But nope, seems like they are fully embracing the characters.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Great trailer, but I'm pretty sure I just watched 90% of the Flash Pilot episode.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DynamicSloth posted:

Great trailer, but I'm pretty sure I just watched 90% of the Flash Pilot episode.

That's because you did, it was meant as a Cliff's Notes for advertisers, and not a typical trailer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's trying to sell people on the whole series (and it worked, I think).

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Upfronts are for advertisers. So it's them they were trying to please. The internet these days just means you can hype the poo poo out of something months before you start filming episode 2.

I'm not sure how I feel about them incorporating Flashpoint into Barry's backstory here. Sure he was considered a boring character and Geoff Johns probably will never succeed in making me think Barry is anything but boring as gently caress, but man, does every hero need some gritty death in the family to kick off that hero cause?

Either way, that looked amazing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Jack Skeleton posted:

Upfronts are for advertisers. So it's them they were trying to please. The internet these days just means you can hype the poo poo out of something months before you start filming episode 2.

I'm not sure how I feel about them incorporating Flashpoint into Barry's backstory here. Sure he was considered a boring character and Geoff Johns probably will never succeed in making me think Barry is anything but boring as gently caress, but man, does every hero need some gritty death in the family to kick off that hero cause?

Either way, that looked amazing.

Flash: Rebirth :flashfact:

Madkal posted:

The League of Assassins played a small role this season, and Ras was name dropped a few times this season, specifically when Moira mentioned to Barrowman that Ras might be interested in hearing about his resurrection. I think Barrowman is going to be the big bad next season, with Thea as his protege pitting brother against sister.

I dunno I think someone related to Argus will end up being the main antagonist. Not that Barrowman won't be a major player but I think with the present day Argus run Super Max and the flashbacks now revolving around Ollie working for Amanda Waller that they'll need someone new and Argus related introduced to keep the show moving forward. Especially since you know there's going to have to be an episode where Argus will make Slade and Ollie reluctantly team up as they will be the only dudes that can stop the bad guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hasn't Barry's mother always been dead since he was young?

I thought the Flashpoint retcon (or change, since time travel is technically not a retcon) was that Zoom did it?

Edit: Oh, I guess "always" means since 2009.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah, I thought the same thing. But I've been learning more and more that if I want to avoid being spoiled by anything to avoid trailers, as even the shortest of the short end up giving enough away for anyone observant to piece together some sort of spoiler.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I dunno I think someone related to Argus will end up being the main antagonist. Not that Barrowman won't be a major player but I think with the present day Argus run Super Max and the flashbacks now revolving around Ollie working for Amanda Waller that they'll need someone new and Argus related introduced to keep the show moving forward. Especially since you know there's going to have to be an episode where Argus will make Slade and Ollie reluctantly team up as they will be the only dudes that can stop the bad guys.

Manu Bennett said that Barrowman was season 3's big bad. As that's from an actor and not a showrunner it's not gospel or anything, but it makes sense to me.

It could be a Bro Blood/Slade deal where you have a medium bad for the first half of the season who is working for or otherwise affiliated with the big bad guy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm just saying it's a bit suspicious that his name is Barrowman

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of funny how, for such an important character, Barrowman has barely been in the show. That's going to change next season since he got promoted to a series regular.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But will he be able to do panto in Glasgow this Christmas if he's shooting a big American TV show? :ohdear:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gaz-L posted:

But will he be able to do panto in Glasgow this Christmas if he's shooting a big American TV show? :ohdear:

Gee, Felicity, with Blood dead and Slade locked up, maybe it's safe to let our guard down!

*Look behind you, Oliver!*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Sorry Roy, you're just not working out, I've found a new sidekick! Oh, Buttons!"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just kinda marathoned the last 6 or 8 episodes of Agents of SHIELD, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. The show's quality definitely improved in the back half, and even the Centipede/Cybertek stuff being linked into the Hydra stuff kinda improved those stories in retrospect. It's kinda funny though how the big consequences from Winter Soldier have sort of been undone - SHIELD isn't back, but it will be before long, I'm sure. I'm quite looking forward to Season 2 now.

One question though, has Fitz left the show, or is his fate a loose thread for next season? I kinda hated him at first, but he definitely grew on me as the season progressed.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

muscles like this? posted:

Its kind of funny how, for such an important character, Barrowman has barely been in the show. That's going to change next season since he got promoted to a series regular.

You can't hit the TV and viewers with a full Barrowman barrage from the get-go, you need to increase the Barrowman dosage slowly until you can go full on with season 3. Three years might be enough to keep people from exploding because they've suddenly been exposed to Barrowman delightfully hamming it up for Arrow full time.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

One question though, has Fitz left the show, or is his fate a loose thread for next season? I kinda hated him at first, but he definitely grew on me as the season progressed.
Deathlok 3.0 programming takes time :kheldragar:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The stuff with Fitz at the end was kind of awkward since Simmons just shows up and talks about him. I guess maybe they ran short on time or something and just couldn't fit a scene with him in.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

muscles like this? posted:

The stuff with Fitz at the end was kind of awkward since Simmons just shows up and talks about him. I guess maybe they ran short on time or something and just couldn't fit a scene with him in.
Both Fury and Simmons were kinda...vague?...about him, though. Fury makes some comment (I forget what exactly) which sounds like he's not going to recover fully, then when the team ask Simmons if he's ok, she says "He's alive" or something. Then they do the whole "dramatic team shot" without him. :smith:

I have to say too, I do like Trip a lot. I was hoping he wouldn't get revealed to be involved with Garrett but I assumed that he'd be Ward's replacement.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I found the first season to the old Wonder Woman TV Show. Wow, that theme song did not stand the test of time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BigRed0427 posted:

I found the first season to the old Wonder Woman TV Show. Wow, that theme song did not stand the test of time.

Sung by the NBC Chorus!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pSpHMIXrsQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Is it wrong that I hear the Transformers "Duh-nuh-nuh-NUH" scene change music alongside this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's how it worked in practice (no diagetic sound effect, then they added a thunderclap in later)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-O2etMo_Yw

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first season one is way better because having the clothes in hand means there's nothing magical about it. She just changes really fast.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think Dean Cain Superman also changed by spinning. It's actually commented upon in an episode where a scientist switches body with him. Lois notices something is amiss when Superman changes clothes in his home by going into the closet and coming out half a second later.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Dean Cain Superman show will always hold a special place in my heart for the whole "Galactically stupid" burn on Lois by that one villain who was shocked she didn't realize Clark was Superman.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ToastyPotato posted:

Dean Cain Superman show will always hold a special place in my heart for the whole "Galactically stupid" burn on Lois by that one villain who was shocked she didn't realize Clark was Superman.

Tempus was definitely the best part of that show. He knew how to chew scenery like nobody's business. The HG Wells episodes were delightfully stupid fun.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I have a real soft spot for Lois & Clark, but yeah, Tempus was right. Lois was...special. In that one area.

Also if you've never seen that particular show, it got monumentally goofy later on, but the first season was actually really good. Fantastic cast, shitloads of chemistry between Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain, only a very mild amount of 90s shoulder pad-age, and they kept the tone light and fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BigRed0427 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKXBxK82LE

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always liked that Texts from Superheroes were the villain is talking about how they just found out Superman was Clark and the other is "Yea so? Its not like he's less bulletproof when he's on the toilet".

I always prefered that Marvel for the most part dumps the whole secret identity thing for most heroes. Those that they do keep it for have a good reason like Spiderman being the best because he's just a kid and actually has a family and friends who he wants to protect. Imagine if everyone knew Parker was Spiderman? He'd have to rescue Aunt May every two days.

You'd think with having Disney's animation studio, Marvel would be able to put something decent out. Why not make a Wolverine and the Xmen animated show, as in based on the adventures of the Jean Grey School? You have all the classic kid cartoon archtypesl; Quinten is the sarcastic one, Idie is the upstanding one, Broo is the genius one, kid gladiator is the tough one, rockslide is the dumb one, Doop is their wacky mascot and so on.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

twistedmentat posted:

You'd think with having Disney's animation studio, Marvel would be able to put something decent out. Why not make a Wolverine and the Xmen animated show, as in based on the adventures of the Jean Grey School? You have all the classic kid cartoon archtypesl; Quinten is the sarcastic one, Idie is the upstanding one, Broo is the genius one, kid gladiator is the tough one, rockslide is the dumb one, Doop is their wacky mascot and so on.

That's pretty much what X-Men Evolution was.

Also the trailer for the first Marvel/Disney joint animated feature is coming out this week, Big Hero 6

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
X-Men actually has a pretty good track record on TV. The 90s Fox show was basically "let's just shove a bunch of 80's Claremont scripts on the air" and hey, it worked! Evolution did the dumb thing of having mutants be a secret early on, missing the whole persecution point of the concept. Once the cat was out of the bag and we were back to the 'world that hates and fears them' gimmick, it was solid. And Wolverine & The X-Men (actually came about BEFORE the comic of the same name, I believe) was an interesting concept using well-worn gimmicks from the comics like time-travel and alternate timelines, as well as the most modern roster (Only cartoon where Emma's been portrayed as an X-Man, I believe).

Spider-Man's shakier, mostly because he's been done more. The original 60s show was what it was. The 2 80s era ones are kind of charming in their way, the Fox Kids one is... well, it's basically what you'd expect from that era of the comics, meeting a totally paranoid S&P team. Laser guns for the NYPD, Morbius not allowed to bite people, Blade with a lightsaber, Punisher limiting himself to non-lethal techniques, Spidey never throwing an actual punch and LOTS of euphemisms for death. We don't talk about Unlimited. I'm like the only person who LIKED the early 00s MTV CG cartoon, with Lisa Loeb as MJ and Neil Patrick Harris as a great Peter. It was a little goofy in that it wanted to be 'hip' and it wanted to be in continuity with the Raimi movies, plus MTV made some weird demands, so we got Eve (the rapper) as a hastily reworked stand-in for the Black Cat, and James Marsters as Not Beetle. And then there was Spectacular, which I only watched a little of, but seemed to take elements of ALL the eras of the comic, from Stan and Steve, all the way to Bendis and Bagley and threw them in a blender.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Spectacular was a pretty good smoothie though.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gaz-L posted:

X-Men actually has a pretty good track record on TV. The 90s Fox show was basically "let's just shove a bunch of 80's Claremont scripts on the air" and hey, it worked! Evolution did the dumb thing of having mutants be a secret early on, missing the whole persecution point of the concept. Once the cat was out of the bag and we were back to the 'world that hates and fears them' gimmick, it was solid. And Wolverine & The X-Men (actually came about BEFORE the comic of the same name, I believe) was an interesting concept using well-worn gimmicks from the comics like time-travel and alternate timelines, as well as the most modern roster (Only cartoon where Emma's been portrayed as an X-Man, I believe).

She also joined the team in the X-Men anime. If you haven't seen it, it's probably worth a look. It's kind of weird in a "Japanese with a touch of Morrison" kind of way, and it's anime as all gently caress. Decent depiction of the team though, in a format that isn't forced to sanitise itself, so Wolverine can actually do what he's best at. It loses points for continuing the "Cyclops is a whiny dick" trend though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The worst portrayal of any Marvel character is always going to be Black Panther and anyone who guest starred in it. That show sucked so loving hard.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Not TV, but Edgar Wright is no longer directing Ant-Man due to "creative differences".

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Source is Latino Review so take it with a grain of salt, but Drew Goddard will no longer be attached to the Daredevil series.

Sounds like some really bad timing considering the Edgar Wright thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

Source is Latino Review so take it with a grain of salt, but Drew Goddard will no longer be attached to the Daredevil series.

Sounds like some really bad timing considering the Edgar Wright thing.
Is there a tally somewhere of all the directors Marvel have replaced?