Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

skipThings posted:

Thank you

First I thought you were being condescending, then I looked at the map, it really did say Pig Iron and then I had to look up what that was, boy do I feel silly! :downs:

Also, drat, is Belgium completly propped up by deBeers or what is going on ?

gently caress you Belgium and your diamonds. I lost the middle school geography bee by not knowing it had the world's largest diamond market. The guy before me was asked "Which country is known for its Great Wall?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ethiser posted:

gently caress you Belgium and your diamonds. I lost the middle school geography bee by not knowing it had the world's largest diamond market. The guy before me was asked "Which country is known for its Great Wall?'

Oh God. I won my middle school geography bee in the 6th grade, so expectations were high in the 7th grade. I ended up losing in the qualifying rounds to some question I don't remember, but the representative from my class got a bunch of softballs in the qualifying round and ended up failing in the competition on "What island off the coast of New York was the destination of millions of immigrants during the Gilded Age as an immigration processing center?" He answered Portugal. :argh:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I answered the final question on my city's Middle School quiz bowl thing correctly because of Age of Empires. The question was what was the forest called along the southern French/German border and I guessed "Black Forest" because it was one of the random map options in the game lol

imagine the smug as hell 13yo paradox game players nowadays blowing away geography quiz bowls

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Pakled posted:

This page has closeups on all the regions that are hard to read.

I wonder what the "wood products" that support the Burmese and Laotian economies are.

Teak.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I learned more about non-US history from reading Paradox LP threads than I did in high school, and it isn't even close.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

imagine the smug as hell 13yo paradox game players nowadays blowing away geography quiz bowls

As long as they don't ask where Stalingrad is, they're golden.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mikl posted:

No need to apologize!

I wonder if I came across as too pissy or snappy in my reply. Just to clarify, the last line of my previous post (including the :argh: smiley) was directed at my fellow Italians who can't let go of some part of the Lateran Treaty (like the crucifix in public building) despite it being massively outdated, not at any posters in this thread. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

From the last page but I just wanted to say that no you came off fine in your replies, I said sorry because I thought I was being kinda a jackass in smugly pointing out something that wasn't even as true as I thought it was :downs:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Koramei posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somaliland

It's also on the National Geographic world map so it clearly must be universally recognized.

I normally only see it shown on maps of Somalia itself, and then usually Puntland is along with it.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Count Roland posted:

I normally only see it shown on maps of Somalia itself, and then usually Puntland is along with it.

it was divided along the same border before decolonization (british in puntland and italian in the south) so sometimes thats why you still see it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Here's a language map of Canada

Most commonly spoken language other than English or French? Only thing that surprises me is German in Yukon, rather than a native language.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I dunno why but there are piles of germans up there being all jager and such. They are like terminators, killing everything they can legally.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Mu Cow posted:

Countries by top export.

Soft Drink Concentrates? That's one highly specialized economy.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

adhuin posted:

Soft Drink Concentrates? That's one highly specialized economy.

When New Coke was introduced it crashed the economy of Madagascar because Coca-Cola was the largest consumer of natural vanilla in the world and New Coke didn't use it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So you guys better keep buying expensive engagement rings and poo poo so I don't lose my lucrative job in the diamond industry.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

So you guys better keep buying expensive engagement rings and poo poo so I don't lose my lucrative job in the diamond industry.
The destruction of Belgium is the goal of all right thinking people.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This problem could have been solved already. Twice.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Riso posted:

This problem could have been solved already. Twice.
More than twice I think. (If we include preemptive solutions.)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You mean the destruction of the Leftist Conspiracy to make people think there's a country called Belgium.
Belgium doesn't exist.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 16, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Carbon dioxide posted:

You mean the destruction of the Leftist Conspiracy to make people think there's a country called Belgium.
Belgium doesn't exist.

:tinfoil:

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Torrannor posted:

They have crosses in Bavarian classrooms as well, even though the German constitutional court ruled them unconstitutional.

Not just in classrooms and not only in bavaria.

A german court room in NRW. Notice something?

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Pakled posted:

Oh God. I won my middle school geography bee in the 6th grade, so expectations were high in the 7th grade. I ended up losing in the qualifying rounds to some question I don't remember, but the representative from my class got a bunch of softballs in the qualifying round and ended up failing in the competition on "What island off the coast of New York was the destination of millions of immigrants during the Gilded Age as an immigration processing center?" He answered Portugal. :argh:

I came in fourth in my state geography bee because the loving moderator so brutally mangled his pronunciation of "Chichen Itza" that I wound up guessing "Iraq" because, you know, step pyramid and it didn't sound Egyptian.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Areas served by London’s major railway stations

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Metrication posted:

I can't tell what area is covered by Fenchurch St. Also, what is the third shade of blue covering Cornwall?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Old James posted:

I can't tell what area is covered by Fenchurch St. Also, what is the third shade of blue covering Cornwall?

An extremely small strip right to the east of London, it's a little tough to see since it's just below the yellow area.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Old James posted:

Served by both Paddington and Waterloo, same for the north of Scotland with KX and Euston.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

:v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

This is a wonderful inversion of that other one. It even makes me happy for Ohio. Libraries are to be treasured. :unsmith:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Metrication posted:

Kings Cross also serves Inverness and the Highlands, so the map is wrong.

...why do I know that?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Goddamn Mississippi is awful, most churches and Alabama gets highest church attendance.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

IceAgeComing posted:

Kings Cross also serves Inverness and the Highlands, so the map is wrong.

...why do I know that?

The map does show that, that's why it merges the colors of Euston and King's Cross once in Scotland.

I'm not sure I understand Iowa. Does that mean they take the least amount of sick days? I mean depending on the context that could be a terrible thing.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

I like that they couldn't find something measurable for Oklahoma so they just went with "Best License Plate"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

This is a wonderful inversion of that other one. It even makes me happy for Ohio. Libraries are to be treasured. :unsmith:

Kansas has wheat. Good for them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pook Good Mook posted:

The map does show that, that's why it merges the colors of Euston and King's Cross once in Scotland.

I'm not sure I understand Iowa. Does that mean they take the least amount of sick days? I mean depending on the context that could be a terrible thing.

No clue. Their sick leave laws seem to be fairly generous, but not the most in the US.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

well oklahoma does have the best license plate

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

tractor fanatic posted:

I like that they couldn't find something measurable for Oklahoma so they just went with "Best License Plate"

Polling?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Churches per capita, church attendance woohoo

Most vps born what an honor.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

well oklahoma does have the best license plate

Their actualy one is really boring, it just says "Native America" on the bottom of it and has Native American imagery (the new one has some silhouetted thing and I forget what the old one has)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

No Safe Word posted:

Their actualy one is really boring, it just says "Native America" on the bottom of it and has Native American imagery (the new one has some silhouetted thing and I forget what the old one has)

thats the newer one, they used OKLAHOMA IS OK until the 90s.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

No Safe Word posted:

The archer on the OK license plate is actually pretty baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Pook Good Mook posted:

I thought that the WCML trains only ever ended up at Central station, didn't know they went any further north...