Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BreakAtmo posted:

Awesome. Lots of lots of awesome. I do hope Lance is OK - I would expect that if he was going to die, they would have showed it (unless it's a contract thing).

One thing - am I the only one disappointed that Slade was still angry and vengeful even after taking the cure? His motivation - blaming Ollie for Shado's death - was always pretty dumb and unfair, and I honestly felt it only made sense in light of the Mirakuru effects (insanity/Evil-Shado hallucinations).

I'm disappointed too, because I was so fond of the character that I wanted some sort of redemption arc for him, to see him become an anti-hero of some sort, but I guess he was under the influence of the Mirakuru for years longer than anyone else and it's left him with permanent mental issues. Maybe therapy could help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
But Slade IS a villain, much like Deadshot. They're agentic assassins.

I hopehopehope Slade gets his time in Season 3. God I hope he becomes something like the Kingpin and travels between both shows. I hope so bad.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

AbsolutelySane posted:

AoS is moving time slots to 9pm next year, so it'll be up against Supernatural, not The Flash. In all seriousness, though, the CW really doesn't have enough viewership to seriously impact the major networks. The Flash is going to be going up against NCIS and The Voice, which really doesn't bode well for the show since those two are ratings juggernauts. The show's saving grace will be that its on the CW and they're not quite as hung up on ratings as the majors and their viewers are loyal. They really should group Arrow and Flash together, rather than put Flash in one of the worst possible slots to launch a show.

On the one hand, I'm glad not to have a third show on the same day to try and find time to watch, but on the other hand it would have been nice to have the two shows back to back for crossover shenanigans.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Warmachine posted:

Not only that, but the wheelchair scientist guy? When he explains what happened at the particle accelerator, it leaves the world open for just about anything. It establishes the foundation for a DCTV Universe.

Or maybe I'm just wildly speculating.

Looking forward to the backdoor Justin Hartley Aquaman pilot in S2 of Flash. Then the circle will have been closed.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Man, that Flash trailer owns, and I love how much fun Amell seemed to have with it.

"You can save the city... in a flash."
*Backflips off skyscraper*

This is going to be an amazing year of tv.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Axel Serenity posted:

"You can save the city... in a flash."
*Backflips off skyscraper*

*Shoots arrow and literally swings away like Spider-Man*

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Drifter posted:

*Shoots arrow and literally swings away like Spider-Man*

He did that last year on Arrow too. In the pilot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

He did that last year on Arrow too. In the pilot.

No, that was...he was on the ground and just did a vertical lift to a tower above him. This was pretty different.

I'm just picturing him feverishly shooting arrows as he approaches the apex of each swing in order to travel half a block. Haha.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

The "My name is Barry Allen... and I'm the Fastest Man Alive..." speech is obviously that show's equivalent to the "I must become someone else... some... thing else... " narration. Handy that the comics have something that fits the format already.

You are almost certainly right.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Drifter posted:

No, that was...he was on the ground and just did a vertical lift to a tower above him. This was pretty different.

I'm just picturing him feverishly shooting arrows as he approaches the apex of each swing in order to travel half a block. Haha.

No no no, towards the end, he attacked the guy, beat up his staff and then the cops showed up. He literally swung down from the skyscraper back to his party.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

No no no, towards the end, he attacked the guy, beat up his staff and then the cops showed up. He literally swung down from the skyscraper back to his party.

Oh poo poo. I'll take your word for it, I don't remember that part - I was talking about ep 1 of season 2. I guess he used his bow twice in an episode to navigate around. I guess pilot means season 1. haha. My bad.

I still the the preview back/sideflip off the top into swingmode is pretty loving funny and silly.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Drifter posted:

Why do you guys think he is dead? They just showed him bruised and bleeding internally.

Haven;t you loving learned about needing to see a dead body?

Freddie Lounds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

I still the the preview back/sideflip off the top into swingmode is pretty loving funny and silly.

He was trying to show off. Barry shows up with loving super speed. Ollie might have been a wee bit intimidated.

Oh poo poo, isn't there a TV IV policy about spoilers from "Next Wee On" trailers and stuff like the 5 minute trailer?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Nah man, he ziplined down.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really hope Season 3 begins with Ollie coming back from Central City and being like "Barry can run super fast now. Weird." I think it would be way awkward for the show to just ignore its spin-off completely just so it can keep grounded.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I hope we never actually see Barry during season 3, but there's a running joke all season long that Ollie constantly can't find something because Barry runs through his secret base whenever he's bored and moves/hides random stuff.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Alternatively, every time they think to call Barry for help - 'He can be here in a couple of hours!' - they turn on Channel 52 news to find Barry busy with some new supervillain - 'Nevermind that then.'

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Astro Nut posted:

Alternatively, every time they think to call Barry for help - 'He can be here in a couple of minutes!' - they turn on Channel 52 news to find Barry busy with some new supervillain - 'Nevermind that then.'

Starling isn't THAT far from Central.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm disappointed too, because I was so fond of the character that I wanted some sort of redemption arc for him, to see him become an anti-hero of some sort, but I guess he was under the influence of the Mirakuru for years longer than anyone else and it's left him with permanent mental issues. Maybe therapy could help?

Argus does have a trained therapist...

Rarity posted:

I really hope Season 3 begins with Ollie coming back from Central City and being like "Barry can run super fast now. Weird." I think it would be way awkward for the show to just ignore its spin-off completely just so it can keep grounded.

I expect metas to show up in season 3, especially if there are crossover episodes.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Senerio posted:

Starling isn't THAT far from Central.

I'm very curious what the DC TV map looks like, since Central is usually a St. Louis analog, and Star City a Seattle analog.

Edit: To clarify, since Felicity was apparently commuting back and forth frequently, I would agree that doesn't make sense in the show's universe.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 16, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm very curious what the DC TV map looks like, since Central is usually a St. Louis analog, and Star City a Seattle analog.

So a 10 minute jog for Barry.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

So a 10 minute jog for Barry.

If he stops for coffee in Wyoming, sure.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If he's running at 700 mph it would take about 2.5 hours from St. Louis to Seattle, closer to 3. Assuming he's following highways.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Central City, is supposed to be near Kansas City, it's on the Missouri river Border.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 16, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He runs to Starling in the pilot (on accident it looks like).

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
I have heard a lot of good about this show. I saw the stuff about the Flash show coming up. I decided to sit down and watch the first season since it is on Netflix. I am really enjoying the show so far. I am on the 14th episode of the first season already. My only issue is how much I want to punch my screen because of how much I can not stand any scene with Thea or Quentin. I am having trouble picking characters on any show I have ever watched that I hate this much. I cant tell if its the actors or just the writing but I want them both to die. Quickly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's you, both those actors/characters have been great, especially Lance.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Thea was pretty loving insufferable in season 1. Not so much in season 2, but mostly because she has some justification of being constantly whiny and angsty.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rocksicles posted:

Hey now, cycowolf is still early on in season 1. Thea especially is really bad for a huge chunk of the season, and Detective Lance had some weird problems sometimes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

To be fair, ep 14 is right around Thea's "gently caress you MOM, I'm gonna get high and crash my car and not even care if I go to jail!" bratty peak, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Lance starts out a bit rough, but yeah he becomes a fan favorite. Most of us bitched about Thea a bunch in s1 too, but they completely turned her around in the second season.

Amell on his appearance in the Flash pilot:

quote:

In the Flash pilot, Barry comes to me. [It's a] little snippet in the Flash pilot where he and I share a scene together, it's in his pilot, but [filming] it felt like our show because he's coming to Starling City. That, to me, was one of the most rewarding things that I did as an actor because it was essentially the same crew that we used for our pilot, and it was two years later and it was the same director. It was like going back in time. [Flash and Arrow director] David Nutter asked me to be a part of the pilot and I will never say no to David Nutter.

One can only hope that this early synergy opens up the possibility for many more crossovers to come, especially since the spin-off hails from Arrow's Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg and DC Chief Geoff Johns. "We'd be insane if we didn't do crossover stuff," Amell adds. {ed. note :getin:} "I don't know that it has to be an event or big moments, but the shows share a universe, and not utilizing that fact would be insane. I'm sure that we will at some point."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok i admit, Thea was a bit teen angsty. But they nipped that poo poo in the bud toot sweet. I stand by Lance.

He lost his daughter, his wife, his sobriety. Then has some hooded nutjob trying to do his job for him, while murkin crims left and right.

Lance is sound.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The thing I never got about the Flash is how if he's running at like 5,000x speed, that just means when you see him run across the city in 30 seconds he just spent an hour or two (subjectively) running. That poo poo has to get to you eventually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WarLocke posted:

The thing I never got about the Flash is how if he's running at like 5,000x speed, that just means when you see him run across the city in 30 seconds he just spent an hour or two (subjectively) running. That poo poo has to get to you eventually.

Read the lyrics to The Ballad of Barry Allen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

The Flash's powers don't cause that effect on him. His perception accelerates too.

He can control it though.

Speed Force.

The Speed Force works like this: Think of a negative to being able to travel at super speed.

Got one? Okay.

Well... Nope, gently caress that poo poo, Speed Force.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 16, 2014

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The Flash's powers don't cause that effect on him. His perception accelerates too.

He can control it though.

Speed Force.

I'm guessing Speed Force is also the explanation behind the Flash saving that bike guy's life and not, you know, accidentally cutting him in half.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's a form of tactile telekinesis.

Everything is tactile telekinesis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spergatory posted:

I'm guessing Speed Force is also the explanation behind the Flash saving that bike guy's life and not, you know, accidentally cutting him in half.

See edit above.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spergatory posted:

Yeah every physics related question like relativity, infinite mass as you approach light speed, why doesn't he catch on fire from atmospheric friction, why doesn't he shatter his hand when he hits someone at super speed, etc is all explained by Speed Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, ep 14 is right around Thea's "gently caress you MOM, I'm gonna get high and crash my car and not even care if I go to jail!" bratty peak, right?

Around episode 14-15 EVERYTHING gets fixed that needs to be. The Huntress stank is over. Thea mellows out. Barrowman starts chewing the scenery. Plus by then we've got Diggle's role as Oliver's personal 'Devil's Advocate' overthrowing the need for narration. Felicity stops popping up to steal scenes and joins the team. Walter isn't just decoration. Also, this Amell guy isn't completely wooden and we get the sense that he can act and is playing a repressed, conflicted guy instead of just having a limited range.

Good times.

• Locked thread