Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Jegan Ace posted:

Everything on that list seemed pretty plausible, but then when you mentioned the Mega Size Neo Zeong - I began to have concerns. For example, would my insurance cover gunpla-related injuries? When I inevitably have to operate a small light crane to hoist myself up on my 3-storey building platform.

I am curious though, who here is actually going to pick up RE-Nightingale? Do you guys think this debut kit lines up with the "high detailed specification" motto of the line?

I'm not picking up the nightingale because I think the mobile suit itself looks like rear end :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Jegan Ace posted:

I am curious though, who here is actually going to pick up RE-Nightingale? Do you guys think this debut kit lines up with the "high detailed specification" motto of the line?

I'm not, and I don't. Looking forward to the Gundam Mk-III though.

edit: VVV speaking of those, the thruster engines seem to be little more than engraved cylinders, and the bells are pretty simplistic too. I believe this sample is still a prototype, so there's a slight possibility it may get a little more detail before release, but it's not very encouraging right now.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 16, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's about detailed as the lineart, which is to say not at all. About all I can say for it is that it's nice that the yellow parts in the thrusters are separate.

And I don't like either the Nightingale or the original lineart Hi-Nu so my wallet is safe for now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
GundamGuy's got up images of System Weapon 007, the Sinanju Stein rocket launcher, and System Weapon 008, which you'll probably want if you have a Zeta because it's the Hyper Mega Launcher.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm probably skipping the Nightingale for now, but since I'm probably getting the Hi-Nu ver Ka, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for me to pick it up eventually so I can have the both of them together because I'm a little crazy like that.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Oh god what have I done this is such a mess

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Muffinlord posted:

Oh god what have I done this is such a mess

Ya done Goufed, by the looks of it :v:.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well, I'm gonna un-goof my Gouf, once the bottle of Mr. Color Base 1000 White I ordered arrives. Is this stuff alcohol-based? I would have swore I'd need mineral spirits for it, but when I was test painting, the bottle of thinner I got didn't seem to do much but make it wet.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Zwingley posted:

Thanks for the info! Also yeah, I'm gonna do more work on the Unicorn over the next week (while I work on my HG Sengoku Astray) to clean it up a bit. Thankfully, I bought the Unicorn expressly to gently caress up with, as it's a suit I have no real attachment to at this point. I'll try and post more pictures while I ask more newbie questions as I keep building. :v:

What might help is getting a different type of eraser. I forget the thread expert opinion one them, but using kneaded erasers helps me since I just mold them to fit places. What is the thread opinion on kneaded erasers?

Also I should go back one day and remove all the safety nubs on the v-fins of nearly all my kits

oh and also buy rg exia but money :negative:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I will probably buy the Nightingale because, you know, Char. :shrug:

It's not great but I actually have recently started to notice how loving ugly Sazabi actually is when compared to say, Sinanju. So it's worth a look for me.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

hallo spacedog posted:

I will probably buy the Nightingale because, you know, Char. :shrug:

It's not great but I actually have recently started to notice how loving ugly Sazabi actually is when compared to say, Sinanju. So it's worth a look for me.

The Sazabi has its own remarkable charm :colbert:. It's a chunktastic piece of work, granted.

Though I don't disagree that the Sinanju looks "slicker and more regal".

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Jegan Ace posted:

The Sazabi has its own remarkable charm :colbert:. It's a chunktastic piece of work, granted.

Though I don't disagree that the Sinanju looks "slicker and more regal".

I mean I know it's just thanks to modern design, but I picked up Sinanju right when I was getting back in to plamo (thanks Build Fighters) and man it is a lovely kit.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I really want an MG Sinanju but I really don't want to deal with the Sleeves filigree so I'm probably going for the Stein instead, does anyone have any horror stories involving it, or is it a pretty solid kit?

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

TARDISman posted:

I really want an MG Sinanju but I really don't want to deal with the Sleeves filigree so I'm probably going for the Stein instead, does anyone have any horror stories involving it, or is it a pretty solid kit?

Honestly man, I think you should just go ahead and get the MG Sinanju. I did the sleeves/knees/shield for the HG Sinanju and it was a pain. I imagine it will be similarly as painful (if not slightly worse) for the MG build of it. It's worth the blood, sweat and tears though, no point compromising when your heart is set on the Sinanju.

As for horror stories, I heard that the MG Sinanju has a particular vulnerability on the hip joint that connects the upper torso with the lower one. Care is advised, because apparently it doesn't bear the weight of the upper torso (backpack and all) too well.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The web exclusive sentinal booster seems to be paving the way for...Deep Striker. :stare:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Hi, it's me: the guy who loves the original lineart Hi-Nu and is super curious about the new 1/100 Nightingale. It's just that I just spent so much money on this MG Sazabi Ver. Ka. Guess I better start saving now.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Mecha Gojira posted:

Hi, it's me: the guy who loves the original lineart Hi-Nu and is super curious about the new 1/100 Nightingale. It's just that I just spent so much money on this MG Sazabi Ver. Ka. Guess I better start saving now.

Hey Ultrama-I mean Mecha Godzilla. I am sorry to hear about your wallet, because the RE-Nightingale and the Hi-Nu Ver Ka will combine together to voltron your bank balance.

If it's any consolation, when you complete both the Hi-Nu and Nightingale, you can essentially have a mini Beltochirka's Children diorama on your display shelf.

I'm surprised there isn't more decals on the Hi-Nu Ver. Ka though. Ver. Ka suits are usually chock full of flair.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jegan Ace posted:

I'm surprised there isn't more decals on the Hi-Nu Ver. Ka though. Ver. Ka suits are usually chock full of flair.
The thing on display is still the rapid prototype, just painted up.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
This thread is no place for those whose wallets are tied down by gravity :colbert:

I will probably get the Nightingale and the Hi-Nu even though I already have the old Hi-Nu :smith: Hey, Bandai, baby I got your money.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

CaptainRat posted:

This thread is no place for those whose wallets are tied down by gravity :colbert:

Legit backing this for new threat title.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

The web exclusive sentinal booster seems to be paving the way for...Deep Striker. :stare:

I just saw this, and holy drat, I don't think I've hit the preorder button that fast in my life. Is that the whole kit, or is it just the booster add-ons for the S Gundam it knows I already own.

Mecha Gojira posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

Thank christ I just got done paying student loans, so I can actually start buying gunpla again rather than drooling over reviews and promo shots. Between Hi-Nu ver Ka, Nightingale, PG Unicorn, and the S Booster, I'm gonna be hurting this year.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Everyone's hyped for all these crazy designs and here I am just excited for the Gouf R35 so I can pose it with an HG Master Gundam. Finally going to cave on the Miss Sazabi too then probably.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Zedd posted:

web exclusive sentinal booster

This would seem to dash water on my hopes of getting a reworked S Gundam with all three modes, but I guess it was kind of inevitable that the .bst would wind up as a websclusive. Ah well.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

TARDISman posted:

I have the Stein. It's a fantastic kit and I massively prefer it to the original due to it looking more practical in comparison to the sinanju looking a bit like a ceremonial mobile suit.

If you DO go for the original, make sure you get the 2nd printing of it, which inherits some of the cool stuff from the Stein (new hands, bazooka, some frame improvements iirc?)

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Slightly different tone of red on its outer armour, too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, the Stein is a fantastic kit, it has all the advances of the regular Sinanju (minus the cool synchronized vernier movement), but without the kinda annoying gold all over the place. That being said, the Sinanju looks baller as gently caress if you get some photoetched decals for it.

The Sentinel Booster is definitely gonna need some paint though. It looks way too plain in just straight black.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well it is a web exclusive. From the looks of things it's four of the exact same booster, so I imagine that's not going to be very fun to build.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Everyone's hyped for all these crazy designs and here I am just excited for the Gouf R35 so I can pose it with an HG Master Gundam. Finally going to cave on the Miss Sazabi too then probably.

You aint the only one brother. Ever since I saw them together on BF tearing it up I've been daydreaming about them side by side on a shelf. So awesome.

I bought the Master Gundam earlier to practice on when i first approached this hobby but now I need another that I can do properly.

AFK Werewolf
Mar 2, 2013

TARDISman posted:

As mentioned earlier, the hip section was a bit wonky for me, but that was something I goofed on. The gun seems really heavy and I have a hard time getting it to sit properly for posing, so I just switched to beam saber/shield.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I have a question about adding LED lights to gunpla, specifically are these mostly hack jobs with parts from the local radio shack or are there actual dedicated kits being sold, and if so where?

AFK Werewolf
Mar 2, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

I have a question about adding LED lights to gunpla, specifically are these mostly hack jobs with parts from the local radio shack or are there actual dedicated kits being sold, and if so where?

Search for bandai hobby LEDs on whatever site you purchase gunpla from, you get two per kit and they're good enough, there's a video of a guy on youtube making his own for a couple of bucks with stuff from radioshack. I have two green LEDs and while I do like the effect, I wish there were more color options, so I'll probably end up making my own in the near future. Red and Green LEDs are the easiest to get, The Rx-78 3.0 expansion comes with a single yellow LED and there was a bandai online exclusive pink one, but most place are selling the LED units for like 15+ bucks a set, which is kinda pricey for what they are.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

AFK Werewolf posted:

Search for bandai hobby LEDs on whatever site you purchase gunpla from, you get two per kit and they're good enough, there's a video of a guy on youtube making his own for a couple of bucks with stuff from radioshack. I have two green LEDs and while I do like the effect, I wish there were more color options, so I'll probably end up making my own in the near future. Red and Green LEDs are the easiest to get, The Rx-78 3.0 expansion comes with a single yellow LED and there was a bandai online exclusive pink one, but most place are selling the LED units for like 15+ bucks a set, which is kinda pricey for what they are.

Ok thanks. I think I'll try some professional kits first before trying my own.

AFK Werewolf
Mar 2, 2013
Forgot to mention the Bandai LEDs are for 1/100's and fit certain kits so don't cash out unless the kit has the space for it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Bandai LEDs only work with certain kits, specifically the MG Exia, MG GN-X, MG 00, MG Gundam 3.0, MG Marasai, MG Jesta, MG Geara Doga, MG Nu vKa, and the MG Sazabi vKa. For everything else you'll have to mod them in.

EDIT: Oh, and the Designers' Color versions of the 00S2 NGs.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 16, 2014

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Also one more thing about the Stein - it has a way cooler beam rifle (the hi-beam rifle, same one Nu Gundam HWS used) but it can't hold it up with one arm at all. Looks very cool when held with 2 arms though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well we now know what HGUC Neo Zeong's secret gimmick is:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The gimmick was the God Gundam style ring of fire, wasn't it?

Or was that just something in the background.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Honestly, that's great, but if the whole thing isn't bristling with particle cannons I'm still going to be a bit disappointed.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Hey, so now that I'm home, it seems that this Testor's enamel thinner absolutely doesn't make a dent in Mr. Color lacquers. My research indicates that the manufacturer's thinner is the best option, so I guess I'm paying for expedited shipping on a bottle before I do any more dumb things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The Muffinlord posted:

Hey, so now that I'm home, it seems that this Testor's enamel thinner absolutely doesn't make a dent in Mr. Color lacquers. My research indicates that the manufacturer's thinner is the best option, so I guess I'm paying for expedited shipping on a bottle before I do any more dumb things.

Lacquer and enamel are chemically different and need different thinners.
Lacquer can be stripped with many of the paint thinners at places like Home Depot (which is where I get my lacquer thinner) so no need to order the manufacturer's one.

Just as always exercise extreme caution with thinners. I would not let lacquer thinner touch my skin if at all possible, and don't breathe the fumes, etc etc.

• Locked thread