Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Here is a fun one:

Notice the scientific notation used for required exp numbers on the left. 1.0 was good times, too bad they tuned it downwards later on. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Here is a fun one:

Notice the scientific notation used for required exp numbers on the left. 1.0 was good times, too bad they tuned it downwards later on. :allears:

There should be an avg. EXP per enemy line there as well, but I guess it's too much effort.

BlitzBlast posted:

Time travel back and play original Maplestory and ask some level 70 dude if it takes him the same amount of time to level as it did when he was level 10.

No no no no no no no no no no.
NO. Please dont remind me.
I played Beta Maplestory.
That was months long slogs just to get to the 2nd job level. gently caress even getting out of the beginner class took a good day if you're not a poopsocky optimiser.

And it didn't get much better on release. To give a hint: In the old versions I only ever reached level 41. I fired it up 2-3 months ago when I got wind of this brand new retool of the entire game, makes everything super straightforward and leveling up a complete joke the first 40 levels: I got to level 70 in a week, and you know what? It was fun. But then I hit a ceiling and when I felt that slog again I just dropped the game right there.

Korean MMOs are a blight and anyone who takes game design notes from them needs to get their lights knocked out.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 11, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There should be an avg. EXP per enemy line there as well, but I guess it's too much effort.

No no no no no no no no no no.
NO. Please dont remind me.
I played Beta Maplestory.
That was months long slogs just to get to the 2nd job level. gently caress even getting out of the beginner class took a good day if you're not a poopsocky optimiser.

And it didn't get much better on release. To give a hint: In the old versions I only ever reached level 41. I fired it up 2-3 months ago when I got wind of this brand new retool of the entire game, makes everything super straightforward and leveling up a complete joke the first 40 levels: I got to level 70 in a week, and you know what? It was fun. But then I hit a ceiling and when I felt that slog again I just dropped the game right there.

Korean MMOs are a blight and anyone who takes game design notes from them needs to get their lights knocked out.

Hmmm, I disagree to some extent. I think there are things to be learned from that style of game or no one would play them. But I think we should probably end this discussion, we are getting pretty off topic here. I'm pretty sure that Jee-Han will improve and level up at the rate needed to move the plot along. :v:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The only thing devs have taken from Korean MMOs is that microtransactions, especially ones involving superficial stuff like costumes and skins, are a sustainable business model. Beyond that, I don't think there's much to take away given how short-lived the lifespan is for your typical korean MMO before the next clone taking place in a different setting is shoveled out, played to like level 20 by the masses and moved on from within a couple of months. RO is the exception not the rule and most of it's staying power is due to private servers with crazy adjusted experience and drop rates to make it less of a grind.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XboxPants posted:

No it doesn't. I don't get your argument. You need more experience to level up at 20 than at 10, but level 20 enemies also give you more experience. So just saying "I can't get by killing enemies 10 levels below me, I have to kill same-level enemies" doesn't mean it takes longer to level by itself. It just means you switch which enemies you're fighting and proceed as normal.

Have you ever seen an MMO? The growth in experience needed is always much higher than the growth in experience given. This is true for almost every RPG, it's amplified in MMORPGs and it's taken to the extreme in Korean MMORPGs. I mean, WoW is just around the corner - it takes you 20 seconds to get to level 2, and like 6 hours to get from level 94 to 95, and that's one of the most casual MMOs in the market.

People playing Ragnarok would take weeks, sometimes months, to get from level 98 to level 99, while killing enemies of the appropriate level. We're talking about 0.1% exp to the next level gained per hour. That's 1000 hours if you don't die. You don't need 1000 hours from level 1 to 2, or even from 10 to 20.

The enemies also tend to get harder. It doesn't matter if you gain 10 health if they gain 20 damage per level, your better gear will not offset it. They're designed to kill you hard if you make a mistake at later levels. And to make matters worse most old-school Korean MMOs had some hardcore penalties for character death. I think in RO you'd lose about 10 hours of grind per death at the higher levels. It's crazy, I don't really get it.

So yea, it's not the same thing.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 13, 2014

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

New chapter is up.

Chapter 37

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Ahahahaha it was a girl.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was there ever any doubt

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

At first I was like "Oh, it's a female gnome." But then she got bigger! Oh well. :shobon:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Man, I know this probably doesn't bug anyone else but... "Noum?" Really? They couldn't tell that was blatantly meant to be "Gnome?"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Man, I know this probably doesn't bug anyone else but... "Noum?" Really? They couldn't tell that was blatantly meant to be "Gnome?"

To be fair, I didn't get that until you pointed it out. Now it bugs me. Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

My accent is too English for me to have noticed. :negative:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I wonder if there will be a a downside to him randomly deciding to make a permanent soul-binding contract to an elemental spirit. I mean, he just wanted some summon magic so he could have a tank, but the portrayal of the contracting process made me think this is 'serious business' that he may not be fully prepared for.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 15, 2014

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Yeah, I'm now thinking that, regarding the summons, if he tries to summon a spirit of a different element, it would violate the contract with the existing spirit. That contract seemed real deep.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Yeah, I'm now thinking that, regarding the summons, if he tries to summon a spirit of a different element, it would violate the contract with the existing spirit. That contract seemed real deep.

Well, on the plus side he now knows what true joy feels like. That's gotta be worth something.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I rather suspect more happened here than he expected. A lot more. We'll find out the consequences as time goes on. One thing I noticed is he didn't get a level up notification on the summoning. I would expect, "You learned summon earth elemental level 1, etc."

I wonder if this is because he used actual magic this time and not some game mechanic. Or, maybe the level up thing will happen still. Or, I wonder if the author is getting sloppy too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think hes gotten into some deep dirt now.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Dan7el posted:

One thing I noticed is he didn't get a level up notification on the summoning. I would expect, "You learned summon earth elemental level 1, etc."

He got that skill last chapter, along with an 'Earth Element Affinity'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even though he learned it via his gamer ability, that was very much not a game skill. All of his other magic was self-taught, and the chundomoon seem to be exclusively ki-based so they can't teach him magic. I don't think that grinding out skills is enough to be a real mage in the abyss.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
He has the skill "Summon Elemental". What'd be appropriate here I guess is a message popping up saying "You've acquired Summon: Noum." Also, I noticed that Noum doesn't really seem like much of a fighter (and why would she be? Nothing about his summon elemental skill said it would summon something that could actually fight, did it?). I think Jee-Han has made an assumption that every skill he can use will work just like a game skill (after all, they all have so far), but I bet something that actually conjures up another living creature doesn't quite work that way. His Gamer ability probably works fine up until he's summoned up another life, and then whatever he's summoned stops being completely affected by his ability after that point.

That being said, I don't really see how what Jee-Han went through is really all that different than some of the poo poo summoners have to go through in some of the more recent Final Fantasy games or some other RPGs that have summoners.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The first thought I had with the whole 'binding your soul together with a spirit' was Persona, despite that being your soul being the spirit in the first place

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This summon thing isn't any different from his other magic or whatever in the sense of how "real" it is. None of it comes from his gamer ability; it already exists in this world. Jee-Han's ability doesn't allow him to use any unique techniques so much as it allows him to do anything within the restriction of his stats (with some exceptions).

The pact might have a bigger impact than he expects, but I don't think it'll be affected any differently by his ability. If anything, it might result in some extra passives.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This summon thing isn't any different from his other magic or whatever in the sense of how "real" it is. None of it comes from his gamer ability; it already exists in this world. Jee-Han's ability doesn't allow him to use any unique techniques so much as it allows him to do anything within the restriction of his stats (with some exceptions).

The pact might have a bigger impact than he expects, but I don't think it'll be affected any differently by his ability. If anything, it might result in some extra passives.

Well, it may not affect him differently (it's still just a skill on his menu after all), but unlike his mana arrows and whatnot I doubt he can control Gnome as freely as he'd like. It may have preexisting rules he needs to take into account. Although logically I guess he learned what those were at the same time he learned to draw the circle and chant the right words.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I need a tank to keep me from getting murdered. Summon spells sound cool...I needed some meat.

Oh, I bonded my soul forever to a spirit of the earth and we are now one.

Maybe that wasn't the smartest thing to do in retrospect.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I need a tank to keep me from getting murdered. Summon spells sound cool...I needed some meat.

Oh, I bonded my soul forever to a spirit of the earth and we are now one.

Maybe that wasn't the smartest thing to do in retrospect.
I keep telling you man, he has to start putting points into that wisdom stat sometime.

I'm really curious how deep this contract thing actually goes though. I mean, in lots of games you put on a huge show of binding your soul to a spirit, but mechanically it just translates to having another spell. That's probably why he didn't give it that much thought. He's used to having the game rattle off showy jargon when it comes to summon spirits, but there's no real consequence. We just got to the dialogue that you usually mash X through, that just so happens to be really important in real life.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

He just needs to bind the remaining types of elementals and boom he's captain planet.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Twiddy posted:

I keep telling you man, he has to start putting points into that wisdom stat sometime.

I'm really curious how deep this contract thing actually goes though. I mean, in lots of games you put on a huge show of binding your soul to a spirit, but mechanically it just translates to having another spell. That's probably why he didn't give it that much thought. He's used to having the game rattle off showy jargon when it comes to summon spirits, but there's no real consequence. We just got to the dialogue that you usually mash X through, that just so happens to be really important in real life.

I want a few prequels where we see our guy measuring his life as an RPG anyway, but without the powers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ethiser posted:

He just needs to bind the remaining types of elementals and boom he's captain planet.

:allears::allears::allears: Perfect

Interesting chapter and boy so much for using the Earth Elemental as a tank, that gnome will crumble at the first punch.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
So I just read this entire thing in one bored sitting. How frequently do these come out? I ask, because the story is glacial.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Just wait until he has to explain her to his mom.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Benson Cunningham posted:

So I just read this entire thing in one bored sitting. How frequently do these come out? I ask, because the story is glacial.

Weekly, on Thursdays.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Ice Phisherman posted:

Spoilers folks.

Anyhow, I'm *very* interested to see whether he actually got the tank he wished for.

I don't know which would be funnier, that he didn't get the tank he wanted ...

Or that he actually *did* get the tank he wanted (I think this has the possibility to be way funnier).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

buzmeg posted:

Spoilers folks.

Anyhow, I'm *very* interested to see whether he actually got the tank he wished for.

I don't know which would be funnier, that he didn't get the tank he wanted ...

Or that he actually *did* get the tank he wanted (I think this has the possibility to be way funnier).

Obviously she didn't look real solid herself, but she had bits of earth and stuff floating around her. It's within imagination that she might be able to do earth-bendy stuff and block attacks that way.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Ethiser posted:

I think this would make Sun Il Ma-ti.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think this would make Sun Il Ma-ti.

Earth!
Fire!
Wind!
Water!
Hear KUNG-FU!

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Amstrad posted:

Soylentbits posted:

The earth elemental is going to be a teenage girl.
I'm actually afraid of this happening.
That goddamn elemental better be some sort of craggy rock monster or I'll be pissed.
:suicide:
Hey she doesn't seem to be a teenage girl at least!
Anyway, that was way to predictable. The author has been pretty good about keeping things on the unexpected side so far, so I'm pretty disappointed.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

XboxPants posted:

Obviously she didn't look real solid herself, but she had bits of earth and stuff floating around her. It's within imagination that she might be able to do earth-bendy stuff and block attacks that way.
Nah, I think it'd be funnier if she was so dense despite being so petite that she could just take hits. Have a massive boss mob swing a huge club, and she just raises her arm and doesn't move an inch. It's not like aesthetics are related to stats in any meaningful way in games, right?

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 16, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Maybe "Girl mode" is just for fun and convenience, while "Battle mode" she looks like a craggy earth creature?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

quote:

Amstrad posted:

I'm actually afraid of this happening.
That goddamn elemental better be some sort of craggy rock monster or I'll be pissed.
:suicide:
Hey she doesn't seem to be a teenage girl at least!
Anyway, that was way to predictable. The author has been pretty good about keeping things on the unexpected side so far, so I'm pretty disappointed.

Since this is largely a comedy manwha, this allows for maximum wacky hijinks as a character instead of it just being a summon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jee-Han will make a contract with other elementals, and then summon Noum/ Gnome and she will act like a sad pouty jealous girlfriend because Hahaha comedy!!!