Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jose posted:

Do I want to use a faint stone or magic stone for infusing a staff?

Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

No, Faint. Magic Stones create the Enchanted infusion which is loving awful. Great naming scheme, huh? :v:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Chomp8645 posted:

If you're PvPing you should never, ever do that. It makes you completely predictable and shields really aren't that great anyway in PvP anyway. You want to have your weapon in one hand and your staff/chime/whatever in the other because it gives you so many more options and means your opponent can't predict your next move.

Self promotion, but this is how you fight as a hybrid melee/caster (the only good kind, pure casters are poo poo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAjaS8u_7Y

Lol you posted this twice.

This is the same thing but they get the joke.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alabaster White posted:

No, Faint. Magic Stones create the Enchanted infusion which is loving awful. Great naming scheme, huh? :v:

Haha, that's brilliant, kind of like how they cocked up the new stats with unintuitive bullshit. Hey guys, we want to decouple equip burden gains from endurance, but we don't want to roll it into vitality either, we're going to make a new stat called Vigor. How should we implement it?

Any Sane Person in the Universe: remove equip burden from endurance, make Vigor the "equip burden stat".

From Software: remove equip burden from endurance, transfer all of vitality's effects to vigor, make vitality the "equip burden stat".

:psyduck:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
So I recently discovered the channelers trident is a baller poison weapon, one handed strong attack causes three four hits in rapid succession and is extremely long range, perfect for poisoning' dudes. Unlike a spotted whip you can get the long range AND if you land it they'll be stunned, although you can't just keep doing it till they are poison like with a ricards.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 16, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

So I recently discovered the channelers trident is a baller poison weapon, one handed strong attack causes three four hits in rapid succession and is extremely long range, perfect for poisoning' dudes. Unlike a spotted whip you can get the long range AND if you land it they'll be stunn
Relevant video

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Plus the goofy fuckin' dance

So perfect.

Completely useless for anything except post murder celebration and breaking your spear but still awesome.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
:geno: I accidentally attuned Climax instead of Great Resonant Soul to see how much damage they'd do, and I just threw away 300,000 souls.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

What helmets are those guys wearing even?

Also the fact that they're murdering a funpoliceman makes me :3:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Oh my god they're loving Klansmen

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I didn't know NPC Phantoms could heal themselves. I saw Ashen Knight Boyd drinking Estus during the Freja fight, until then I really thought they had no healing whatsoever. Unless that's just a Byod thing.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

One of the few times I managed to get a cracked blue eye orb to work, I got summoned to Dragon Aerie, on the shrine side. I spent like five minutes just trying to find the drat guy - he was over on the Aerie side, past the big old swaying bridge and then some. Then when I finally found him and tried firing some magic at him, he immediately dodge-rolled off the side of a cliff and died. :cripes:

One time I blue phantom invaded a sinner in the Dragon Aerie. I ran around for like ten minutes trying to find the dude, smashing eggs as I went just in case he tried to cross the bridge. Eventually I gave up on the Aerie and went looking for him in the shrine. I ran around there for a bit, found that some of the enemies deeper in were present and unaggro'd, so I turned back around toward the Aerie and found him waiting for me on the other side of the bridge. We both started crossing, and after a couple of yards I went "you know I don't actually know where on this bridge the dragon triggers, I should probably turn around and run the gently caress away." That, of course, was exactly when the dragon swooped in, and we both fell to our deaths. At least I got the kill :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I didn't know NPC Phantoms could heal themselves. I saw Ashen Knight Boyd drinking Estus during the Freja fight, until then I really thought they had no healing whatsoever. Unless that's just a Byod thing.

Some of them have a small supply. I think that Knight woman in Amana can take a few swigs as well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
"Dark dark dark dark dark dark dark dark dark."

Darkdiver Grandahl must have the laziest writing in the entire game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

What helmets are those guys wearing even?

Royal Soldier on one, White Hallow Mage Hood on the others.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Broken Cog posted:

"Dark dark dark dark dark dark dark dark dark."

Darkdiver Grandahl must have the laziest writing in the entire game.

Felkin too. Anything about DARK, really.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The only thing anyone needs to wear is the barrel.

It even has a broken version that shows when it falls to 0 durability. I do not get why they didn't just stick it somewhere.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Weirdly specific question but does anyone have a screenshot of the encounter cutscene with Rotten, where the camera pans out and you're both facing each other? I'm particularly interested in one where the player is wearing the Elite Knight set, or something equally iconic. My characters are either too far ahead or too far beyond him at the moment.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cyberventurer posted:

:geno: I accidentally attuned Climax instead of Great Resonant Soul to see how much damage they'd do, and I just threw away 300,000 souls.

Thanks for posting this. I no longer feel bad about my earlier dark souls moment.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Some of them have a small supply. I think that Knight woman in Amana can take a few swigs as well.

Felicia does, but she only heals for about 1/10th of her health bar because she has more health than jesus.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The more I run through the game on NG+, the odder I'm finding their choice to have so many bonfires instead of building levels with lots of shortcuts to one single, central bonfire. It's especially weird given that you can teleport from the word go, so they had no reason whatsoever not to build their levels as one bonfire per region with shortcuts that loop back.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 16, 2014

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Does anyone have any concrete/confirmed info for ranking up the Brotherhood of Blood? Even NamcoBandai seems to offer contradictory statements.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Started my first real casty Sorcerer character in my entire time playing the Souls series and lol this is ridiculously easy mode. My first death was to spiders in Tseldora, after beating both The Rotten and OIK. I'm not even playing that well, everything is just paper to the million casts of GHSA I have attuned.

That being said, I did just hit a wall of playing like complete poo poo while grinding for gear. Keep dying against rogues in Bonfire Intensity 2 skeleton Lords area because I'm an idiot.

Are there seriously any weapons worth using other than the MLGS? It might actually be too good to the point of just invalidating player choice and build variety in INT paths. I tried the Crescent Axe but it is unfortunately garbage. I'm thinking of trying a Magic Lucerne.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Colapops posted:

Does anyone have any concrete/confirmed info for ranking up the Brotherhood of Blood? Even NamcoBandai seems to offer contradictory statements.

I guess nobody knows for sure if Namco's saying it's wrong, but I think it's pretty well established that you gain rank based on how many wins over .500 you are in the arena. +50 for rank 1, +150 for rank 2, +500 for rank 3.

Supposedly defeating a defender blue while you're invading (not blues invading you) gives you +1 but I've done probably ~800 or so invasions and I have seen 2 of those so that's not going to make a huge difference.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I've killed dozens of blue sentinels during my invasions, but nothing seems to be happening. I've talked to Gren, gone and won a few arenas, talked to him again, etc.

Arenas are loving nauseating. Everyone is in Havel's or doing some gimmicky bullshit that is unstoppable unless you are also doing gimmicky bullshit.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

laplace posted:

Are there seriously any weapons worth using other than the MLGS? It might actually be too good to the point of just invalidating player choice and build variety in INT paths. I tried the Crescent Axe but it is unfortunately garbage. I'm thinking of trying a Magic Lucerne.

For PvE MLGS is pretty much it, although any magic infused weapon will do ok. PvP MLGS is a bit poo poo since you can't buff it anymore and nobody gets hit by the nuke.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

laplace posted:

Try Magic Blue Flame. Specifically two of them with Crystal Magic Weapon attuned.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Opposing Farce posted:

We both started crossing, and after a couple of yards I went "you know I don't actually know where on this bridge the dragon triggers, I should probably turn around and run the gently caress away." That, of course, was exactly when the dragon swooped in

Wait. What dragon? I've been across that bridge several times. I beat NG. I've never seen a dragon other than the ones you kill in the roosts prior to crossing the bridge. What did I miss? Is this an NG+ thing?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
If you break enough eggs and stand on the last bridge to the aerie long enough a drake swoops in and destroys it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mr Wikstroem posted:

Yup, the resonant spells do stupid damage and have good chance of one-shotting players. They're "balanced" by higher stat requirements and if you want to use the +20% damage ring then you need to be prepared to take 30 damage per cast. :rolleyes:

There's a +20% damage ring?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Thumbtacks posted:

There's a +20% damage ring?

Yes: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Abyss+Seal

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Michaellaneous posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R68zxKDxPJE
Can anyone confirm this. Because it seems really, really stupid and broken and I want it right after I finish my PVE char.

And this is why the Rebel's Greatshield is great. Every hexing idiot pauses for a moment in despair when they hit you with a GRS and see 0 damage pop up.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tallgeese posted:

The only thing anyone needs to wear is the barrel.

It even has a broken version that shows when it falls to 0 durability. I do not get why they didn't just stick it somewhere.

My guess is because it had a life regen effect (at least, if the wiki isn't lying) and they realized that people would probably keep it to just put it on and hide in a corner and wait to save their flasks. Of course that justification fails on multiple levels, since bonfires and are so frequent in this game, plus life gems, plus using the small soapstone that you almost never get in a situation where you'd need to conserve healing. And they could have just taken the regen effect off and left it as a goofy rear end thing to wear for fun. Seems like they've been really leery about anything with much life regen on it since the shield/ring/mace combo in DeS was so strong.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There's a life regeneration ring in the game, available as soon as the Last Giant is dead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The life regen ring heals at a pitiful rate though, so I guess they thought it would be balanced by the fact that heal scumming with it would take ages and thus you would get invaded. Of course, invasions never loving happen. Still haven't been invaded anywhere outside of PvP areas.

Can the Channler's trident be enchanted with bleed? It seems like that would be more effective than poison since poison is only lethal if you have some kind of follow up to punish it/the other player forgot their moss.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The life regen ring heals at a pitiful rate though, so I guess they thought it would be balanced by the fact that heal scumming with it would take ages and thus you would get invaded. Of course, invasions never loving happen. Still haven't been invaded anywhere outside of PvP areas.

If you want invasions just get over 10 sin. You'll get as many blue invader spell casters as you'd ever want in NG+.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Most of time I get invaded it's in the FoFG of all places. I guess some people didn't get the memo about soul memory, because they all seem like their trying to do low level ganking or something, even when I'm already at, like, SM 2M. I guess they could be trying to invade people going after giant memories, since that's one place you KNOW people are going to be, but no-one was good enough to seem like a dedicated PvP-er.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Internet Kraken posted:

And this is why the Rebel's Greatshield is great. Every hexing idiot pauses for a moment in despair when they hit you with a GRS and see 0 damage pop up.

Dark infused Transgressor's Shield at 0.3 weight is better.

It perplexes me why I don't see more people using this shield in PvP. Fully upgraded it has close to 55 stability, and it even has the buckler/target-shield's increased parry-frame animation.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 16, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ninotoreS posted:

Dark infused Transgressor's Shield at 0.3 weight is better.

It perplexes me why I don't see more people using this shield in PvP. Fully upgraded it has close to 55 stability, and it even has the buckler/target-shield's increased parry-frame animation.

That parry animation is pretty poo poo because of how long it lasts. The curved swords are about as good (And have less of a delay until parry frames) and the Monastery Scimitar has parry frames immediately after pressing. Not to mention 55 stability ain't that much. Get 5 orb affinity, maybe dark orb (since it does a lot of stamina damage) and then spam, and you guard break that poo poo easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why on earth is the word Hand censored??? :psyduck: