Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

But that's not always an option for your average adventuring party

It should be. "We're going ogre hunting, break out the pikes" should be a thing in more systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

This topic has produced far more discussion then I expected. However I occurs to me now that for every 20+ foot tall fantasy monster there are a hell of lot more in the 8 to 15 foot tall range, like ogres, giants, minotaurs and so on. Things that aren't gigantic, but they are much bigger then you, and there also smart enough to wield weapons of their own. Which requires entirely different tactics to bring down, luckily while historically people didn't inven't a hell of a lot of way to take down things that were 20 feet tall they did even a hell of a lot of way to take down things that were 8 feet tall, weighed over 1 ton, and were heavily armed aka cavalry.

Now the simplest solution is to just get a bunch of your friends together and get some really long sharp sticks.

But that's not always an option for your average adventuring party but your still going to want something to negate the range disadvantage. Luckily the late middle ages that most fantasy worlds seem to be perpetually stuck in is nothing if not a cornucopia of sharp thing on the end of sticks for the purpose of killing things form a safe distance.

And then there's always the classic fantasy cliche, really big swords.

Most likely developed as a counter to very pike formations pictured above, without leaving you defenseless against cavalry the way a sword and shield would. Those spike you see on some of the blades aren't just for show they serve as a second crossgaurd and the area behind them isn't sharpened so you can grip your hand there and wield the weapon as a short spear instead of sword if your defending against cavalry or are simply too close to swing the weapon effectively. These would probably kill an ogre or like fairly nicely assuming you were able to get close enough to use it without getting your face smashed in.

Now if non of those options appeal to you there's also always the romantic option.

The momentum of over a ton of metal and flesh moving at over thirty miles an hour all brought to bear on a single point. Your probably only going to get one shot, but if you hit you seriously going to ruin someone day.

Although this whole thing may be a bit off topic so here's some of the raddest angels from MTG just in case.

Iona, Shield of Emeria from Zendikar

Chancellor of the Annex from New Phyrexia

Firemane Angel from Ravnica

Pristine Angel From Mirrodin

You forgot these incredibly rad angels from mtg

restoration angel

Sunblast Angel

Platinum Angel

Angel of Serenity

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
Where is restoration angel's left leg?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

pitlo posted:

In her big flowy dress I'm guessing!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

pitlo posted:

You should try posting pictures instead of making GBS threads on contributions. The other leg is behind voluminous robes. gently caress yourself.

Post Art Deco and diesel punk stuff please.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 16, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

You should try posting pictures instead of making GBS threads on contributions. The other leg is behind voluminous robes. gently caress yourself.

Maybe you should stop getting upset at people criticising bad art?

You know, just a suggestion.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I like Restoration Angel's art. Some people just have a fixation with every limb being visible, even if it warps the poses into odd shapes.

And now for things I think are cool and hope others think are cool too.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
You guys forgot to post the best angel in MtG:

(actually Platinum Angel is the best but this guy is a close and funnier second)

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!

pitlo posted:

Lord Frisk posted:

Haha I love this exchange. So angry all of a sudden!

Anyway have some demons to balance all these goodie-goodie celestials:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sorry for being such a poo poo, thread. I was in a bad mood, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you.

As penance, have these gun wielding women.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Majuju posted:

You guys forgot to post the best angel in MtG:

That's clearly an Uncle Istvan. :colbert:

Hammer Backspace posted:

some demons to balance all these goodie-goodie celestials:

MTG demons:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Could someone repost those awesome pictures of Sun Wukong fighting some gigantic, mountain-sized Indian gods and such? Those were amazing, but I've completely forgotten who did them.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Could someone repost those awesome pictures of Sun Wukong fighting some gigantic, mountain-sized Indian gods and such? Those were amazing, but I've completely forgotten who did them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I'll take "Metal as gently caress" for 500 alex :black101:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Does anyone have some cool pictures of Hoplites? not the 300 version but like full armor and skirt kind of version.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Excellent!! Thanks so much, dude! :neckbeard:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

I'm pretty sure I took down the guy on the right in a Mouse Guard game, once upon a time.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I heard you dudes liked rad angels so here's an adorable widdle cherub.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I heard you dudes liked rad angels so here's an adorable widdle cherub.

Wings don't interlock around its body and its legs aren't completely, unbendingly straight, no deal. :colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Does anyone have some cool pictures of Hoplites? not the 300 version but like full armor and skirt kind of version.

Not sure if this is the style you're looking for or not:

Almostpanda
Apr 25, 2014
Hoplites hopping light!(lite?)

On another note, it is almost impossible to find pictures of winged people that are wearing normal clothing or armor. Requesting pictures of winged folk wearing clothing, armor, etc!

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

Almostpanda posted:

On another note, it is almost impossible to find pictures of winged people that are wearing normal clothing or armor. Requesting pictures of winged folk wearing clothing, armor, etc!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

You forgot these incredibly rad angels from mtg

Angels? Angels!

One of my favorite bits of MtG lore is the angels of Zendikar. To represent their binding to a bunch of ancient cosmic horrors imprisoned on their plane, they manifest their halos lower- as blindfolds.

Shepherd of the Lost

Luminarch Ascension

Admonition Angel

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Almostpanda posted:

There's boatloads of armoured bird-people on Magic cards but I feel like you're going after humanoids more, right?

e:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Majuju posted:

There's boatloads of armoured bird-people on Magic cards but I feel like you're going after humanoids more, right?

e:

Theres a bunch of bird soldiers

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I only just noticed the arms, I always thought it was a sphinx tour creature.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Theres a bunch of bird soldiers

That is a bird wizard, sir :colbert:

Almostpanda
Apr 25, 2014

Majuju posted:

e:

I am looking for more humanoids yeah, in the pathfinder campaign i'm in there's two races that are supposedly descended from demons and angels (like tieflings and aasimar, but they kept the wings) and most of the art I can find for people with bat wings is either incredibly anime or gratuitous T&A

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I've been looking for this picture for a while, it was posted in the previous thread, it was a man in armor punching a dragon in the stomach so hard it was spitting and bug eyed. It was rad as hell and I wanted to show my friend in retort to his statement "I'm not sure how a monk would fare against a dragon."

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Nucular Carmul posted:

I've been looking for this picture for a while, it was posted in the previous thread, it was a man in armor punching a dragon in the stomach so hard it was spitting and bug eyed. It was rad as hell and I wanted to show my friend in retort to his statement "I'm not sure how a monk would fare against a dragon."

In a 3.5 campaign I'm playing we have a Warforged Monk. I immediately sent this to him as soon as I saw it.

Eide
Apr 28, 2014
Brokk's Checklist of Manliness:
pre:
✔ Buy mithril underpants
✔ Humiliate the party's prettyboy elf
✔ Punch a dragon in the kidneys
☐ Understand women

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Majuju posted:

e:

Holy poo poo. Someone get this guy as an avatar.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Holy poo poo. Someone get this guy as an avatar.

Tempting

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I look at that guy and see Sam the Eagle.

"You are all swine."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Aquila posted:

Tempting

With your user name it should be.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I can't help but see his sashes as a crossed arm salute.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bieeardo posted:

I look at that guy and see Sam the Eagle.

"You are all swine."

That would have to be the caption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Can anyone hook me up with necromantic or arcane machines? Big ones and weirder the better.