Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mister Kingdom posted:

ELO is awesome and I will not hear otherwise.

I was foolishly mistaking ELO for this band and seriously could not comprehend how there were not one but two people on one page in this thread claiming they rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
ELO may actually be the one classic rock band that NOBODY hates.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There was no sane way to get a picture of it, but while driving home I spotted a Miata slathered stickers. Among the most prominent: "Twilight Mom" and "NOBAMA".

:wtc:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

There was no sane way to get a picture of it, but while driving home I spotted a Miata slathered stickers. Among the most prominent: "Twilight Mom" and "NOBAMA".

Similar, saw a new Edge on the interstate here in Tampa yesterday that was covered in bumper stickers. Two that stuck out were "NOT MY PRESIDENT" with a picture of Obama, right above a "PROUD TO BE WHITE" sticker.

With the US Navy plate for Florida. Made me sad to be somehow associated with someone like that.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Well theres your problem. I could not believe the constant anti-abortion billboards when I drove from Orlando to Gainesville. And the constant stream of cars covered with bumper stickers like that. I have never felt so out of place than driving a rental BMW 5 series there.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Negromancer posted:

Well theres your problem. I could not believe the constant anti-abortion billboards when I drove from Orlando to Gainesville. And the constant stream of cars covered with bumper stickers like that. I have never felt so out of place than driving a rental BMW 5 series there.

Really? Cause those seem like Civics in Tampa.

But yeah, this place is ducking ridiculous.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Global warming will sort out the issues with Florida soon enough.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

veedubfreak posted:

Global warming will sort out the issues with Florida soon enough.

We just need Bugs Bunny to be real.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bugs is sawing in the wrong place, all he needs is to blow up some ice in Antarctica to flood the place which will trigger a catastrophic melt that will literally submerge Florida.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Terrible car stuff?

GM in general.

Lodged in the comments, between the usual fanboy wars:

Tim Winn · Kankakee Community College posted:

I have a 2004 Impala that fills the plastic intake with fuel when it senses low voltage in the distributor. We have had this car detonate the manifold twice while trying to jump start it. Not quality, not safe, not even close.

Captain Trips fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 15, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How does that even happen? It's like the car wants to die.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I suspect there's an unhealthy amount of "idiot who thinks they know things about electronics" involved there, but I don't know anything about that particular failure, so I can't be sure.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I think it's amazing that he found a distributor under the hood of a 2004 Impala.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

xzzy posted:

Bugs is sawing in the wrong place, all he needs is to blow up some ice in Antarctica to flood the place which will trigger a catastrophic melt that will literally submerge Florida.

But then they'll move CLOSER to you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I realized I have no idea when Chevy stopped using distributors... and yeah, no distributors on an 04. It was either coil-near-plug for the V8 (I believe) or waste-spark coilpacks on the 3800 and 3400.

I'm not sure what the hell he's talking about with "senses low voltage in the distributor" either, I've never seen a distributor that measures ignition system voltage, the cam position sensor in some distributors isn't an analog sensor, its supply voltage is produced by the ECU not sensed by it, etc. Thus why I think he's an idiot talking above his pay grade.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Community_College.txt

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

I realized I have no idea when Chevy stopped using distributors... and yeah, no distributors on an 04. It was either coil-near-plug for the V8 (I believe) or waste-spark coilpacks on the 3800 and 3400.

I'm not sure what the hell he's talking about with "senses low voltage in the distributor" either, I've never seen a distributor that measures ignition system voltage, the cam position sensor in some distributors isn't an analog sensor, its supply voltage is produced by the ECU not sensed by it, etc. Thus why I think he's an idiot talking above his pay grade.

I didn't know about the distributor but I figured maybe he'd read about voltage regulator's causing fires or something.

Love the new avatar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

But then they'll move CLOSER to you.

You know the fable about boiling frogs? Rising sea level is the same way, if you drown them slowly they'll never notice.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Could be worse I suppose

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

kastein posted:

Don't know about cars or the S10, but at least for the full-size trucks, which I'd expect would be using technology that stands the test of time (i.e. outdated) I'm pretty sure they started using... um... something that's not a distributor :downs: in 1996 when they introduced the Vortec line. I've got a '94 with the TBI 350 and it's got a distributor.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The GM recalls seem to always follow a formula like "Defect in headliner fitting in 2 million cars; leads to airbag deploying and brakes failing when speedometer reaches 60 mph"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

I refuse to pay $gently caress for Volvo's molded heater hoses, so my current heater valve setup involves one of the hoses around the intake pipe from the underside and connecting to the valve. The valve's held away from the cruise control servo's rubber boot by a pair of zip ties.

It works!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Don't know about cars or the S10, but at least for the full-size trucks, which I'd expect would be using technology that stands the test of time (i.e. outdated) I'm pretty sure they started using... um... something that's not a distributor :downs: in 1996 when they introduced the Vortec line. I've got a '94 with the TBI 350 and it's got a distributor.

Unfortunately, you'd be wrong. They had a funky distributor until whenever they got the GenIII stuff ('99-'01ish?). Makes it nice to stick a carburetor intake manifold on one and jam in a conventional distributor, though. No complaints here.

E: This stupid thing:

I think this qualifies as terrible car stuff. Terrible brittle plastic, with a weird connector, under a bunch of poo poo at the back of the motor.

Only redeeming quality is that you can remove the distributor cap and replace it with a block-off plate, and use its built in rotary encoder to run LS1 electronics on a gen1 SBC.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 16, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

Could be worse I suppose

No one takes anyone in these seriously to begin with so this is completely fine by my book.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8q2D1S9VM8

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
A few pages back, but parking in NYC:

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

Snackpack Backpack posted:

On topic, I keep seeing a car around that looks like it was covered in duct tape and then all the tape peeled off. The paint looks awful, but whenever I see the guy that drives it he always walks around like he's inspecting it for something. :wtc: I always forget to snap a picture.

Of course it's at a Walmart.

I finally managed to snag a picture of this car without the owner around. I'm almost positive I've seen it before with a camo print so my guess is he uses duct tape as a cheap wrap. It still makes no sense to me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh, now that's bloody upsetting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

revmoo posted:

ELO may actually be the one classic rock band that NOBODY hates.

You can find entire albums by ELO and a tonne of other prog rock bands on youtube.

Pardon me while I go listen to Out of the Blue :rock:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not even ELO-related but this post somehow got Eye in the Sky by the Alan Parsons Project stuck in my head.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

License plate chat?

(click for big)

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 16, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

License plate chat?

I really wish that kind of poo poo was illegal.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Not running plates is illegal :confused:

Or are you just being sarcastic?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think he thinks there is a plate on there, it's just covered with dirt.

I had to squint at it too, c'mon man get a cell phone with a real camera!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

License plate chat!

I can't decide if it's clever or not.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Not running plates is illegal :confused:

Or are you just being sarcastic?

I was referring to the car to the left. :colbert: Also, a combination of the colors in the middle of the plate area and extreme blurriness of the picture lead me to believe it was a covered plate.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The picture isn't blurry on my end. Imgur must have hosed up on my phone.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

License plate chat?

they probably have a temporary plate/permit on the dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Linedance posted:

they probably have a temporary plate/permit on the dash.

Nope. Those are displayed in the rear window anyway.

And yeah those polarized plate covers are terrible. No idea how you can get away with purposely obscuring plate numbers without getting pulled over.