Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Race Realists posted:

The aforemented Fedora wearing neckbeard fanbase makes it very hard to like those films.

I don't see how or why they correlate with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gatts posted:

I don't see how or why they correlate with each other.

Well you see they don't like what I like, thusly and forsoothe the must be fat inferior nerds who spent $1.4 billion to see the Batman movies all by themselves. Not like the incredible physical specimens that are fans of the MCU.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Race Realists posted:

The aforemented Fedora wearing neckbeard fanbase makes it very hard to like those films.

The Dark Knight is obviously pretty kickass, though.

It's not even that dark in my opinion, it's just super cool.

Also, the people posting stuff like that on Youtube? Those are children. Like, probably literally children. Do not worry about Children's opinion of things.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Dark Knight is easily the worst Nolan Batman movie.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Race Realists posted:

You must realize that this

Race Realists posted:

Am I the only one who's loving tired of diehard nolan batman fanboys (who largely consist of the Fedora wearing reddit neckbeard crowd) insisting that anything that isn't grimdark is childish? They SERIOUSLY think the nolan films are highbrow entertainment (I strongly doubt any of them have ever seen a Terrance Malick movie, let alone any movie that didn't have an explosion in it)? Disliking "The Popular Thing" doesn't make you a unique snowflake.

Christopher Nolan has amassed the most moronic fanbase I've ever seen

doesn't sound any better than the quote you posted. Right?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

zoux posted:

Well you see they don't like what I like, thusly and forsoothe the must be fat inferior nerds who spent $1.4 billion to see the Batman movies all by themselves. Not like the incredible physical specimens that are fans of the MCU.

not what I was getting at but please go on

I like the Nolan films. It's just the fanbase...

Dare I ask: Is it really that hard to like something, but not be an obnoxious piece of poo poo about it?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 16, 2014

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Race Realists posted:

Dare I ask: Is it really that hard to like something, but not be an obnoxious piece of poo poo about it?

In BSS? Absolutely.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Race Realists posted:

Most of the people who liked Nolan Batman films aren't in the vocal minority of obnoxious shitheads.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I know. That's why I made the distinction between the fanbase and casual fans.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Race Realists posted:

No. I thought the Nolan films were a good different Batman take. I like the ASM series waaaay better than the Raimi films, I think most of the Marvel studios films are better than the Sony Marvel films.I wish they could get along and make a joint Infinity Gems movie and quit being assholes to each other.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Race Realists posted:

You are very brave for daring to ask, goon sir. Those obnoxious shits!

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Race Realists posted:

Get some minority friends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Race Realists posted:

Christopher Nolan has amassed the most moronic fanbase I've ever seen

Actually the only time things related to Christopher Nolan have struck me as childish and idiotic were when people who got their opinions from /co/ crashed any place discussing him to call him an overrated hack who has mindless drooling fanboys.

Oh, hey!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His movies are a little samey, but all pretty good. I'll take him over Bryan Singer or Marc Webb any day. I'd roughly tie him with Raimi.(I'm speaking just to entertainment value, not necessarily directorial skill)

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I loving love the Nolan movies, but that's 50% because I like well-done Batman and 50% because I already loved Christopher Nolan before Batman Begins came out anyway. He's a director who lines up dead-on with my sensibilities and tastes, I've loved Batman for years, of course I'm gonna think those movies kick rear end. But what makes them so great isn't the "grimdark", it's the AMBITION. I like the Marvel movies, but for the most part, they don't really intend to be anything other than popcorn entertainment. And that's fine! But the Dark Knight movies fit both in the narrative of the Batman movie franchise and in the narrative of Nolan's oeuvre.

I guess I just wish Marvel would embrace the fact that you don't have to be grim and gritty to have higher artistic aspirations than "well, that was fun!" That said, I haven't seen Winter Soldier yet, and I hear it does a great deal towards that goal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think some Nolan backlash is people are fatigued with Batman being a serious "realistic" character, but that's hardly the fault of the Dark Knight trilogy.

I love both that Batman and the completely goofy Schumacher Batman, though my favorite Batman lies in the middle between those extremes, like the animated series version, which has unfortunately never appeared in live action.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I still haven't seen the third Batman movie.

Horseshit rumor outlet the Latino Review, which I won't even link here, is reporting that Disney is looking at Zac Efron for an unspecified Marvel hero. I only mention it because the formerly mentioned fedora neckbeard fanbase is going to go loving berserk if Efron gets cast as anything.

Efron is cool and funny imo but he's also HANDSOME and a former TEEN HEARTTHROB so he is going to be terrrrrrible in whatever, just like Heath Ledger was.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I still haven't seen the third Batman movie.

Horseshit rumor outlet the Latino Review, which I won't even link here, is reporting that Disney is looking at Zac Efron for an unspecified Marvel hero. I only mention it because the formerly mentioned fedora neckbeard fanbase is going to go loving berserk if Efron gets cast as anything.

Efron is cool and funny imo but he's also HANDSOME and a former TEEN HEARTTHROB so he is going to be terrrrrrible in whatever, just like Heath Ledger was.

Or Kurt Russell

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you allow the existence of annoying people who like something to prevent you from liking it, you'll find it impossible to like anything, even if you are the only person who even knows about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jason Momoa says he's not playing Aquaman, he has no idea where that is coming from and it makes no sense:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bEUbLlJRsw

Now he does say he'd play Lobo, which would loving own.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All the marvel characters I'm thinking Efron would be really good as belong to other studios.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

d00gZ posted:

I guess I just wish Marvel would embrace the fact that you don't have to be grim and gritty to have higher artistic aspirations than "well, that was fun!" That said, I haven't seen Winter Soldier yet, and I hear it does a great deal towards that goal.
Yeah, I think it does a pretty good job of that. It's as political as any of the Batman films (but with better politics), and isn't much more serious than the other Marvel films.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

d00gZ posted:

I loving love the Nolan movies, but that's 50% because I like well-done Batman and 50% because I already loved Christopher Nolan before Batman Begins came out anyway. He's a director who lines up dead-on with my sensibilities and tastes, I've loved Batman for years, of course I'm gonna think those movies kick rear end. But what makes them so great isn't the "grimdark", it's the AMBITION. I like the Marvel movies, but for the most part, they don't really intend to be anything other than popcorn entertainment. And that's fine! But the Dark Knight movies fit both in the narrative of the Batman movie franchise and in the narrative of Nolan's oeuvre.

Go watch Winter Soldier, it's a lot of fun and does a great job of bringing the crazier Cap stuff to the big screen

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Go watch Winter Soldier, it's a lot of fun and does a great job of bringing the crazier Cap stuff to the big screen

Will we get the Hate-Monger in the next film, or is he part of the FF deal?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

d00gZ posted:

I guess I just wish Marvel would embrace the fact that you don't have to be grim and gritty to have higher artistic aspirations than "well, that was fun!"

Anyone could say the opposite for WB/DC. Things don't have to be grimdark and hyper realistic 24/7 to be good.

Fun in films (especially comicbook and action films) shouldn't equate to Michael Bay x100, and yet to so many people (especially online) it does unfortunately.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 16, 2014

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

greatn posted:

All the marvel characters I'm thinking Efron would be really good as belong to other studios.

I could see Efron as an Iron Fist. Danny Rand is supposed to be a handsome millionaire right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Daredevil?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the more I think about it the more TWS moves up in my list of MCU films. It's just solid back to front with a good plot, clever ways of introducing comics stuff the way they did Zola was inspired, and really good acting from the supporting cast. I'd say it's in my top 3 with Avengers and the first Iron Man.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Efron thing is no doubt Latino Review (being Latino Review) and picking "oh who is popular and currently has a film out, Marvel totally wants them".

Jason Momoa has to have to world's greatest agent though since his name is continually attached to superhero projects and it's not because of his acting talents or previous success.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Daredevil?

Already cast I thought.

As for Iron Fist I keep imagining RZA in that role because of the man with the iron fist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Already cast I thought.

Noooope. And filming starts in a month and a half :ohdear:

Waterhaul posted:

Jason Momoa has to have to world's greatest agent though since his name is continually attached to superhero projects and it's not because of his acting talents or previous success.

Bro he owned as Khal Drogo.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

greatn posted:

Already cast I thought.

As for Iron Fist I keep imagining RZA in that role because of the man with the iron fist.

Nobody has been cast for the Netflix stuff and Marvel unfortunately doesn't have a time machine to pluck Robert Redford out of the 60's for Daredevil.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I'm imagining Daredevil being played by Casey Affleck.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I don't really understand how they haven't cast someone for Daredevil yet, doesn't Marvel have a pretty rigorous training program for their superhero actors? Or is that just for movies and they aren't going to worry about that too much for Daredevil?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I don't really understand how they haven't cast someone for Daredevil yet, doesn't Marvel have a pretty rigorous training program for their superhero actors? Or is that just for movies and they aren't going to worry about that too much for Daredevil?

This is our concern dude.

I guess since DD is pretty well masked up they can do a lot of work with stunt doubles, or maybe they'll cast someone stunty in the role. It may be that they already have the role cast and the dude is training like crazy and they haven't announced it yet (but I doubt it).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Marvel has finally seen the light and will be just casting wrestlers in future so actors don't have to work out as much.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

greatn posted:

A black Iron Fist would work really well.

And I'm a big fan of a secret Marvel base where they're training folks to be superheroes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Marvel has finally seen the light and will be just casting wrestlers in future so actors don't have to work out as much.

Zack Ryder as Daredevil. JTG as Luke Cage.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Zack Ryder as Daredevil. JTG as Luke Cage.

The secret Marvel base is where JTG has been all this time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Michael Jai White isn't cast as Luke Cage, that's my supervillian origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

StumblyWumbly posted:

A black Iron Fist would work really well.

It kinda ruins the dynamic with Luke cage though. :(

• Locked thread