Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
If we're talking older RTSs, Empire Earth 1 and 2 are pretty solid. Don't get 3, though. They should both be on GOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm in the post-graduation period where I have literally nothing to do. What are the best contenders for dangerously addicting gaming timesinks? Past contenders for me have been roguelikes/survival games (Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Unreal World, Don't Starve), empire-builders (Dawn of Discovery, Pharaoh, X3), and certain RPGS (Wizardry 8, Fallout 3). I now only have a relatively weak laptop so my options are somewhat limited.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

I'm in the post-graduation period where I have literally nothing to do. What are the best contenders for dangerously addicting gaming timesinks? Past contenders for me have been roguelikes/survival games (Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Unreal World, Don't Starve), empire-builders (Dawn of Discovery, Pharaoh, X3), and certain RPGS (Wizardry 8, Fallout 3). I now only have a relatively weak laptop so my options are somewhat limited.

Roguelike-ish games: ToME4 is an excellent roguelike, runs on anything, is addictive as gently caress, and is free. I've also spent more time than I care to admit on FTL despite its many flaws.

Empire-builders: Escape Velocity: Nova, perhaps? As long as you don't get locked into the psion storyline (check some spoilers to avoid it), it's kind of like a 2d X game.

RPGs: the earlier Black Isle/Troika stuff -- Fallout 1/2, Planescape Torment, Arcanum -- and anything by Spiderweb Software. While they don't have the same "holy poo poo I could play this forever" property as FO:NV, there is still a metric shittonne of gameplay in there, and they all use 2d engines from the late 90s.

Personally, while I was waiting for my defence to be scheduled, I played far too much Kerbal Space Program -- but that is more of a pure sandbox and thus may not be what you're looking for.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bouchacha posted:

(Stuff you probably know about, but still)
Civ, Tropico, XCOM

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

President Ark posted:

There's exactly one that I'm aware of, it's post-apocalyptic themed, and... I can't remember the name of it. :(

We had a thread for it on these forums though.

I think you're thinking of Cataclysm: Dark Days ahead, which is a post-apocalyptic themed roguelike with a procedurally generated over and underworld. It also has a pretty in-depth crafting system.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pengu! posted:

I think you're thinking of Cataclysm: Dark Days ahead, which is a post-apocalyptic themed roguelike with a procedurally generated over and underworld. It also has a pretty in-depth crafting system.

Or possibly Caves of Qud, which is considerably more polished.

Unfortunately it is also (a) windows-only (b) not updated in years and (c) closed-source, so it's never going to be updated unless the author magically comes back

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I was thinking of Cataclysm, assuming that's the one where you can build a murdertruck covered in armored spikes and drive through buildings.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Or possibly Caves of Qud, which is considerably more polished.

Unfortunately it is also (a) windows-only (b) not updated in years and (c) closed-source, so it's never going to be updated unless the author magically comes back

The author actually is a goon and hangs around the Roguelike thread, and is currently porting it to iOS and maybe android? I believe. I can't remember the reason he gave for why Qud hasn't been updated recently but it's not completely hopeless.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Every DS Castlevania, Bunny Must Die, Project Black Sun if you hate yourself, Aquaria, An Untitled Story, Hero Core, Iji, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

If flash games count, hop on Kongregate, search metroidvania and play everything on the first page and probably most of the second.

Most of these have been pretty fun, thanks.

Also, looking for games with gameplay similar to Viewtiful Joe.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm feeling like grinding these days. Feels good to come home after work, crack a beer, and zone out for a while making a character/base/town more powerful. PC preferred?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm feeling like grinding these days. Feels good to come home after work, crack a beer, and zone out for a while making a character/base/town more powerful. PC preferred?

Any sort of ARPG, like Diablo 3, Marvel Heroes, or Path of Exile. Heroes being my personal favorite of the bunch.

Maybe Borderlands 2 if you want something more shooty and with a story.

And if you want to go for pure grind, there's always MMO. Guild Wars 2, Warcraft (which is still somehow around), Rift, Elder Scrolls Online and the upcoming Wildstar.

And for something completely different, Mount & Blade lets you run around making your army more powerful while you conquer cities and towns.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Bouchacha posted:

Eador: Genesis fits the bill, as long as you can live with no unit animations on battle screen. It has empire-building, RPG flavor, randomness, good AI, and runs on weak computers. The main campaign can be 150-200 hours long.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

The author actually is a goon and hangs around the Roguelike thread, and is currently porting it to iOS and maybe android? I believe. I can't remember the reason he gave for why Qud hasn't been updated recently but it's not completely hopeless.

I've seen him in the roguelikes thread, but AFAIK he's working on a completely different, non-Qud game for iOS and Android.

If he is working on Qud, awesome, but I will never play it on mobile, so unless he's planning to return to the PC version someday, the project might as well be dead for me. :(

Danger Mahoney posted:

Any Elder Scrolls game or Fallout: New Vegas; they aren't really "grindy games", but if you enjoy grinding you can also easily spend a very long time cruising around the world clearing out dungeon after dungeon and amassing increasingly horrifying levels of power and wealth. Space Rangers 2 (or SR HD: A War Apart, which is a remake/update of SR2) also has this property.

As Leper Residue said, any ARPG. I haven't really been into ARPGs since Diablo 2, so I can't really give recent recommendations.

If you're willing to step off the PC (or use an emulator), I actually found FF12 to be fantastic for mentally checking out and just grinding my way to godhood; the Gambit system means you can automate away a lot of random-encounter tedium and the Battle Chain mechanics encourage you to find areas with mostly homogenous enemy populations and then spend ages clearing out all of them for great wealth. Most of the FFs are probably good grinding games, actually, but FF12 excels. Going further back, Vagrant Story on the PSX and FF Tactics on the PSX/PSP* are both games that have vast scope for spending hundreds of hours attaining completely game-breaking levels of power (in addition to being good games in their own right).

* If playing on the PSP, be sure to get the unofficial patch that fixes the slowdown.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Danger Mahoney posted:

For something more building-oriented... Do you have a minecraft account? Don't lie, everyone does. If you do, the "Agrarian Skies" modpack is pretty grindy. You start out with very nearly nothing in an infinite void and have to make ludicrous quantities of things through automation and various tricks to generate materials from nothing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Plenty of good suggestions already (Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, etc), but check out Warframe. You'll basically be grinding/farming/leveling something at any given point, and the action is plenty fun. And it's a f2p, so it's not like you'll have wasted money if it doesn't tickle your fancy.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011

I know this is a few pages old but look at MAV http://www.bombdogstudios.com/

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Looking for a good co-op PC game to play with my bf. Something decently long and story-based. The last game we really played together was Portal 2, I suggested Baldur's Gate but I think that'll be too clunky for him. Thoughts? 2 player campaign, deep story/interesting mechanics, no Diablos.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006

Anatharon posted:

What're good 4x games?

PopetasticPerson posted:

I want a PC game where you build poo poo up and the AI tears it down. I'd like them to try really hard to tear it down, bonus points if it's hard to build it back up again. Or just really hard to build it up in the first place. The more complicated the better (but I draw the line at Dwarf Fortress, I just can't do it). I realize this technically describes just about every game out there but there's a specific kind of aspect to it that's important but I can't explain. I'll give examples.

Isn't there a game like AI wars that's basically about not waking up the AI lest it smite you before you can handle it?

Does anyone know what he's talking about, assuming he's not just talking about AI War?

For good 4x games you really can't go wrong with Alpha Centauri, it's pretty much all downhill from there. Civ 4 is my favorite from the Civ series, and there's a mod called Fall from Heaven that's really cool that converts the whole game into a fantasy kind of deal. They add 'mana' resources to go with deer and iron and whatnot that let you cast spells and all the races play very differently.

Distant Worlds is awesome too. It's very complicated and technically an RTS but it uses all 4 Xs to great effect. You can turn off the complexity if you want, because you can automate literally everything if you want to. Most of the fun comes from managing logistics, though, making sure you have the right resources for your ship components and keeping gas in the tanks while also mining luxuries to trade and keep your people happily paying taxes. Star Ruler is less complex but makes up for it in that you can design ships that dwarf planets. You can also strap rockets to a planet, surround it with gigantic star-sized artillery cannons and destroy entire solar systems by blowing up the sun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alikchi posted:

Looking for a good co-op PC game to play with my bf. Something decently long and story-based. The last game we really played together was Portal 2, I suggested Baldur's Gate but I think that'll be too clunky for him. Thoughts? 2 player campaign, deep story/interesting mechanics, no Diablos.

Borderlands 2 is some good fun co-op shooting with basic class-building (pick one of four classes, six if you get the two DLC ones, and each has three different class trees to put points into) with a good length and story. There's also four short DLC campaigns available.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

ToxicFrog posted:

Roguelike-ish games: ToME4 is an excellent roguelike, runs on anything, is addictive as gently caress, and is free. I've also spent more time than I care to admit on FTL despite its many flaws.

Empire-builders: Escape Velocity: Nova, perhaps? As long as you don't get locked into the psion storyline (check some spoilers to avoid it), it's kind of like a 2d X game.

RPGs: the earlier Black Isle/Troika stuff -- Fallout 1/2, Planescape Torment, Arcanum -- and anything by Spiderweb Software. While they don't have the same "holy poo poo I could play this forever" property as FO:NV, there is still a metric shittonne of gameplay in there, and they all use 2d engines from the late 90s.

Personally, while I was waiting for my defence to be scheduled, I played far too much Kerbal Space Program -- but that is more of a pure sandbox and thus may not be what you're looking for.

Oh god, EV: nova, are they ever making a sequel?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

Oh god, EV: nova, are they ever making a sequel?

Very unlikely. Nova was 2002 and I think Ambrosia has mostly scaled back to doing Mac ports of existing games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mdh1975 posted:

I know this is a few pages old but look at MAV http://www.bombdogstudios.com/

It looks good, but I think I'll wait for development to finish before I make a purchase.

On that subject, how is Bionic Dues? It's half-off at GoG until the 22nd.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

CommissarMega posted:

I can't give a review, but it's even cheaper as part of this bundle here:
http://www.flyingbundle.com/

On Steam, though, not GoG.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Alikchi posted:

How long do you want to wait? http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/ is right up your alley, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weUPfejQ7xE

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alikchi posted:

In case you haven't heard of it, this site rules: http://www.co-optimus.com/ I love me some co-op games, and there aren't enough.

I'm gonna second Borderlands 2, which is a real fun co-op run and gun. Although, why do you say no Diablos?

Decently long, story based, co-op... How about Dark Souls? :unsmigghh: (Seriously though super great game, and really fun to co-op, and you can co-op the whole thing. Although it can be super frustrating, so definitely not for everybody. But holy poo poo is it rewarding. I love playing it co-op!)

double nine posted:

How long do you want to wait? http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/ is right up your alley, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weUPfejQ7xE

He said no Diablos.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

In case you haven't heard of it, this site rules: http://www.co-optimus.com/ I love me some co-op games, and there aren't enough.

I'm gonna second Borderlands 2, which is a real fun co-op run and gun. Although, why do you say no Diablos?

Decently long, story based, co-op... How about Dark Souls? :unsmigghh: (Seriously though super great game, and really fun to co-op, and you can co-op the whole thing. Although it can be super frustrating, so definitely not for everybody. But holy poo poo is it rewarding. I love playing it co-op!)

He said no Diablos.

Divinity: Original Sin has turn based party combat-so-not a Diablo.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

It looks good, but I think I'll wait for development to finish before I make a purchase.

Like any Arcen game it's a little weird and rough around the edges and the tooltips are practically novellas, but the game itself is great. There's an overworld map of nodes that represent different mission types, and the missions themselves are quick turn-based affairs where you control one mech that is essentially 4 classes in that you can switch between at any time. Each class has very different abilities ranging from long-range, wide area nukes, to stealth, to hacking and repairing. The game lasts 50 "days" with each day being a mission, culminating in a final mission. The missions you choose to take on over the course of a game effect the final mission, for example, reducing the number of specific enemies or lowering their levels. It's a really under-appreciated game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

prometheusbound2 posted:

Divinity: Original Sin has turn based party combat-so-not a Diablo.

Otherwise its damned similar, and he also said that Baldur's Gate would be too clunky. Divinity is just a prettier Baldur's Gate mixed with Diablo.

I guess if "clunky" just meant old fashioned you may be right, but I really get the feeling he wants something entirely different from that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Alikchi posted:

Saints Row 3 and 4.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Otherwise its damned similar, and he also said that Baldur's Gate would be too clunky. Divinity is just a prettier Baldur's Gate mixed with Diablo.

I guess if "clunky" just meant old fashioned you may be right, but I really get the feeling he wants something entirely different from that.

No, Original Sin is... really nothing like Diablo at all. Divinity 1 was, but they don't really play the same other than the not-very-Diablo-like-at-all world interactivity and involving dialogues/quests.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
My friends and are I looking for a multiplayer exploration game. Like Minecraft or Cube World. We want to explore lands (bonus if they are procedurally generated), fight monsters, loot, and maybe build a cottage at the end of the day. The game needs to be on PC, not a sidescroller, and preferably under 35$.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

leekster posted:

My friends and are I looking for a multiplayer exploration game. Like Minecraft or Cube World. We want to explore lands (bonus if they are procedurally generated), fight monsters, loot, and maybe build a cottage at the end of the day. The game needs to be on PC, not a sidescroller, and preferably under 35$.

You might like 7 Days to Die, if you don't mind zombie genres. Terraria and Starbound are both awesome if you can get past the side scrolling.

In a similar vein, does anyone have any reviews regarding Planet Explorers? It looks like something my group will want to try, but warnings of extreme early bugginess steered us off into trying something else the night we looked at it.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

Tagra posted:

You might like 7 Days to Die, if you don't mind zombie genres. Terraria and Starbound are both awesome if you can get past the side scrolling.

In a similar vein, does anyone have any reviews regarding Planet Explorers? It looks like something my group will want to try, but warnings of extreme early bugginess steered us off into trying something else the night we looked at it.

I think I've heard goons say that it plays like a 2000 MMO. That's a pretty apt description. I'm more forgiving than most when it comes to bugginess and bad controls, so I still had a bit of fun with the single player. When I played, however, multiplayer was extremely bare-bones and the lack of a way to trade items with other players or even drop items on the ground was a nail in the coffin to me.

However, keep in mind that one of my friends impulse-bought the game for me. I would be sorely disappointed if I bought the game myself.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend a very deep, complex timesink RPG for the PS2? Hopefully one where you focus on one character rather than a party of characters, but either is ok.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend a very deep, complex timesink RPG for the PS2? Hopefully one where you focus on one character rather than a party of characters, but either is ok.

Try Dark Cloud 2? It's an action RPG but really long with quite a few interconnected systems.

Your party consists of two human characters (one who can switch to piloting a customizable mech and the other who can transform into various monsters, but both can fight normally as well) and you only have one in combat at a time.

The main game is basically a combination of town building and dungeon running, but there are a lot of extra systems in play (a golf minigame, an invention system used mostly to upgrade Max's mech with various parts by photographing different items in the world, medals to collect for various rewards, sidequests to recruit townspeople, quite deep weapon crafting/upgrading, etc.)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Try Dark Cloud 2? It's an action RPG but really long with quite a few interconnected systems.

Your party consists of two human characters (one who can switch to piloting a customizable mech and the other who can transform into various monsters, but both can fight normally as well) and you only have one in combat at a time.

The main game is basically a combination of town building and dungeon running, but there are a lot of extra systems in play (a golf minigame, an invention system used mostly to upgrade Max's mech with various parts by photographing different items in the world, medals to collect for various rewards, sidequests to recruit townspeople, quite deep weapon crafting/upgrading, etc.)

I will definitely check this out, thank you!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I will definitely check this out, thank you!

Also read the Before I Play page

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Recommend me a game where I can build combos a la Remember Me, or Hybrid Heaven.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Recommend me a game where I can build combos a la Remember Me, or Hybrid Heaven.

If you have a PS2 or PS3, get yourself God Hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have a PS2 or PS3, get yourself God Hand.

I can attest that it also runs really well in PCSX2, so if you have no PS2 but a beefy gaming PC, get God Hand anyways.