Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

We never have anything as fancy as a mannequin to shoot at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miltank posted:

Getting together with a bunch of guys and blowing a mannequin away sounds like fun tbh

img-shooting-cardboard-ronald-reagan.gif

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

When I go shooting random trash I'm not playing out a fantasy of killing anti-gun moms though. Maybe if they paint the mannequin black and put a hoodie on it it will be "just for fun" too.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Miltank posted:

Getting together with a bunch of guys and blowing a mannequin away sounds like fun tbh

It is. There was a range I used to go had a big gravel pit where you could shoot up whatever you brought. Lots of fun.

That said, there a pretty clear subtext in this particular case that is real ugly. There is a difference between shooting up broken furbys you got from the trash and shooting up physical representations of a group/person you hurl violent vitriol at.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The idea that the mannequin is supposed to be some mom is 100% conjecture on the part of Mother Jones though right? The "mad minute" to "mad mom" comparison is absolutely worthless.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Miltank posted:

The idea that the mannequin is supposed to be some mom is 100% conjecture on the part of Mother Jones though right? The "mad minute" to "mad mom" comparison is absolutely worthless.

Even beyond the mom thing, the shirtless female mannequin with her hands in a surrender position is still pretty drat iffy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Miltank posted:

I miss going to the dump and shooting discarded appliances. :(

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

djw175 posted:

Even beyond the mom thing, the shirtless female mannequin with her hands in a surrender position is still pretty drat iffy.

The pants around the ankles at the end did it for me.

EDIT: But hands in the air makes the target bigger, right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

djw175 posted:

Yeah shooting trash and clay birds is fun as hell, but once your target becomes humanoid and in a surrendering pose it gets creepy immediately. If they had a mannequin with a knife or just one in a totally neutral pose it wouldn't be obvious what the subtext here is.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It is way less creepy than the story that would result from a MJ reporter looking over the shoulder of literally anyone playing GTA.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Miltank posted:

It is way less creepy than the story that would result from a MJ reporter looking over the shoulder of literally anyone playing GTA.

Hm, maybe there's some sort of difference.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Miltank posted:

In the same sense that the hoodie targets for sale during the Zimmerman trial certainly weren't about Trayvon Martin or black kids, or how Arthur Anderson had no idea what Enron was doing because they are idiots rather than collaborators, or Alberto Gonzalez really couldn't recall, sure.

Though even granting it was a random piece of trash they grabbed, a representation of a woman stripped to her pants around her ankles hands up in defense/asking for mercy getting shot is really rape/murder imagery that I would hope made those guys think about afterwards like most Freudian slips do. Everybody does hosed up poo poo that makes you go "wow, what does that say about me", the thing is you need to reflect on it.

In non gun chat, here's Ted Yoho talking about how he wants to make it harder to vote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfsR-KMb_E0&feature=autoshare

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Miltank posted:

Just because that point probably stands doesn't make it any less terrible. It's either people shooting a representation of a mother who disagrees with their views, a representation of a victim with dubious sexual assault imagery tied to it, or both. Whatever someone playing GTA does has no loving pull on how reprehensible shooting a half-naked female mannequin in that position is.

^^ e;fb

TO add to this, there's nothing wrong with shooting a mannequin. poo poo is indeed fun as hell. That does not excuse the premeditated imagery they've chosen to attach to their "fun."

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

You can tell that the mannequin had pants on when they started shooting, but I can see that its time to stop talking about this because I can finally spell mannequin right on the first try.

e: And the idea that this is some obvious depiction of a mom is pretty weak. The whole thing is weak because its a hit piece.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 16, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Redeye Flight posted:

I got so mad reading that last night I just loaded up an RTS and compstomped until I cooled off. It took like two hours.

Maybe you wouldn't feel so powerless if you knew how to shoot real guns instead of digital ones. :smug::hf::smug:

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I don't believe that gun culture has become so abstracted from reality, that these guys didn't appreciate and enjoy the meaning of what they were doing.

Like I know some of you guys shoot, and that's great but you're not going to come in here again and again and tell us that it doesn't mean anything. That it's always just games and never means anything. That's bullshit.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

agarjogger posted:

I don't believe that gun culture has become so abstracted from reality, that these guys didn't appreciate and enjoy the meaning of what they were doing.

Like I know some of you guys shoot, and that's great but you're not going to come in here again and again and tell us that it doesn't mean anything. That it's always just games and never means anything. That's bullshit.

No, these guys seem like weird shitheads.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

In non gun chat, here's Ted Yoho talking about how he wants to make it harder to vote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfsR-KMb_E0&feature=autoshare

That video sounds enraging/interesting, but it looks like it got set to private. Anyone got a backup?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah it is definitely a weak piece. The sad thing is there appear to be some actual threats (or allegations of threats) but MJ makes no effort to distinguish them from legitimate speech and in fact tries to schmeer it all together.

Mother Jones is often guilty of this kind of vague laziness and it's exactly the leftist tendency that Chris Hedges was calling out.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

agarjogger posted:

It's true, I really do hate furbys and pumpkins

I agree with you, it is probably a case of violent fantasists trying to live it out, but since we can't know that short of a Cliven Bundy style rant well you have to grant the possibility it's just really hosed up act they didn't think through rather than masturbation about how much they want to hurt people that disagree with them for the great crime of disagreeing with them

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Roxors posted:

That video sounds enraging/interesting, but it looks like it got set to private. Anyone got a backup?

It's a think progress link so check there?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh, and Wall Street cratered yesterday for 1 second when HFT algorithms went nuts. But clearly wo don't want to regulate or get rid of that because reasons
Getting rid of HFT doesn't make sense.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What is the utility of HFT other than transferring money en masse to the elite?

What possible reason would any entity ever need to make more than one trade a second? At what point are people not trading property anymore but rather just playing money making game?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I don't really see any problem with progressives being conservative about finance. When's finance ever done a goddamned thing for anyone.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh my god, you guys, we may have been wrong about hating all those drum circles...

quote:

In studies on the effects of rhythm on brains, researchers showed that experiencing a steady rhythm actually improves cognitive function. One psychology professor at the University of Washington used rhythmic light and sound therapy on his students and discovered that their grades improved. Similarly, one researcher at the University of Texas Medical Branch used that method on a group of elementary and middle school boys with ADD. The therapies had a similar effect to Ritalin, eventually making lasting increases to the boys' IQ scores.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 16, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
This is more reason to practice with a metronome so that we guitarists can steal their power.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dinoputz posted:

Great news for hip-hop conservatives everywhere! The NRA is looking to get into youth outreach, but the video comes off horribly awkward and pandering. In other words, about as you'd expect.

NRA’s New Video Series Will Millennial You So Hard Brah

I could only watch the first 4 minutes of this before I became disgusted and turned it off. But the intro I saw was the two hosts talking about accessorizing and customizing their firearms by ordering custom colors on their weapons and, wanting to have their expensive weapons delivered in more ornate gift boxes. Again, not tools for use, but fashion accessories, weapon bling.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tbp posted:

Getting rid of HFT doesn't make sense.

HFT is nothing more than front-running.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Front-running?

(I don't know the term)

E: nm Wikipedia explained it.

Magres fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 16, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I put on my Misfits jacket and Akai MPC.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
drat you, now I can't stop singing Last Caress.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

VitalSigns posted:

HFT is nothing more than front-running.

Yeah, it is illegal if done by a person, I believe they are using a loophole because humans are not technically involved.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Apparently no one has turned out for Operation American Spring, or the 30 million are really good at hiding.

The picture going around of the assholes with confederate and KKK flags is from 2010 btw - give away is it is raining in DC right now

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fried Chicken posted:

Apparently no one has turned out for Operation American Spring, or the 30 million are really good at hiding.

The picture going around of the assholes with confederate and KKK flags is from 2010 btw - give away is it is raining in DC right now

Nah, I'm in DC right now and it's pretty nice out. Perfect day to march en masse in your klan outfit because it's not swamp-hot either.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Area Man Expects Tea Party Gathering to Attract Between 150 and 20,000,000

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

nutranurse posted:

Nah, I'm in DC right now and it's pretty nice out. Perfect day to march en masse in your klan outfit because it's not swamp-hot either.

Huh, Charles Pierce said it was raining. Anyways, picture is still from 2010

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
It was pissing down rain last night but its beautiful out right now. I always love these rallies because of how ineffectual they are. I was in DC when the truck rally was supposed to happen and I distinctly remember thinking how nice the traffic was that day so the irony was palpable when I learned of the "rally".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Maybe you wouldn't feel so powerless if you knew how to shoot real guns instead of digital ones. :smug::hf::smug:

What really needs to happen is a group of left wing radicals with guns needs to get to gather and start filming themselves shooting up mannequins dressed in a blue button down shirt or barn jackets. Now, this won't actually be implying anything mind you, and you'd be a fool to think that when these people who after shooting talk about dismantling the state are doing anything but practicing their first and second amendments.

This is probably not a good idea

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/operation-american-spring-live

Live stream for anyone who wants to hear a bunch of racist old people chanting "Impeach! Obama!" while waking around the Washington Memorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A Winner is Jew posted:

What really needs to happen is a group of left wing radicals with guns needs to get to gather and start filming themselves shooting up mannequins dressed in a blue button down shirt or barn jackets. Now, this won't actually be implying anything mind you, and you'd be a fool to think that when these people who after shooting talk about dismantling the state are doing anything but practicing their first and second amendments.

This is probably not a good idea
I recall hearing that what got the NRA of the '60s on board with gun control regulations wasn't the shooting of the Kennedys or MLK, it was all those Black Panthers on courthouse steps with their perfectly legal openly carried long guns. I am fairly sure that if this thing goes anywhere beyond "I guess the Democrats are organizing a shooters' group" it would instill panic, terror, and a LEO response

• Locked thread