Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

You post like a whiny little bitch
At least we agree on that part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am a whiny little bitch.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mordaedil posted:

I also expect Halo 5 to somehow be far more offensive than MOM.

Master Chief could be voiced by Gilbert Gottfried, reading from a script penned by Daniel Tosh, Frank Miller, Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh, and it wouldn't be as offensive as MOM.

Alan Smithee posted:

Haven't seen anyone talk about this here

Apparently 3D Realms revealed their next game Bombshell, which is a spinoff for a DNF sidekick? (I never played)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjsyXnqHOhA

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/15/bombshell-a-new-arpg-borne-out-of-a-duke-nukem-lawsuit/

Seems like a direct throwback to the 2007 DNF trailer. You know, the one they made literally days after scrapping everything and the trailer was the only thing they had created?

That trailer not only looked better, it actually had more gameplay.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 16, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I said come in! posted:

I am a whiny little bitch.

We know. And I'm beautiful.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl1AewtrDMY

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Alan Smithee posted:

I must admit Bombshell gives me more 90's flashbacks than Blood Dragon. Except the Skrillex hair which is totally millenial

This makes sense.

Blood dragon is an 80s flashback.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
No, it looks too much "Duke Nukem Forever DLC" to be as charismatic as Blood Dragon. No way in hell it can come close to being like that.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Alan Smithee posted:

Haven't seen anyone talk about this here

Apparently 3D Realms revealed their next game Bombshell, which is a spinoff for a DNF sidekick? (I never played)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjsyXnqHOhA

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/15/bombshell-a-new-arpg-borne-out-of-a-duke-nukem-lawsuit/

The trailer has to be a joke, right?

Also the game is supposed to be an ARPG, what?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Halo 5 isn't until 2015? what the heck big title does Xbox One have for this year? They're more and more like Wii U every day.

Except Wii U has Mario 3D World and Tropical Freeze which are cool.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Halo 5 isn't until 2015? what the heck big title does Xbox One have for this year? They're more and more like Wii U every day.

Except Wii U has Mario 3D World and Tropical Freeze which are cool.

Halo 2 HD, which will go beyond what Wind Waker HD did and give us the levels Bungie cut a decade ago.

Even though it'd probably contradict what happens in Halo 3 and make no sense.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Wii U has no games!

Except it has the best games of the three consoles so far. Seriously where the gently caress are the good PS4 / Xbox One games? The best one I've seen so far is Second Son and even that is "Meh...it looks good, I'd probably buy that at 20 dollars."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wii U has so many problems. I'm just wondering though what Xbox One has, at all, other than the third party support that Wii U has absolutely none of (which is its nail in the coffin). I guess Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive are their big games this year? I just don't get it. The PS4 has a large back catalog of IPs it can tap into, at least.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The Wii U also has a year head-start on the other consoles. Consider how many games the Wii U had when it had been out as long as the PS4/XB1 currently, it was pretty abysmal.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Only good next gen console is the 3DS. Seriously.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kirios posted:

The Wii U has no games!

Except it has the best games of the three consoles so far. Seriously where the gently caress are the good PS4 / Xbox One games? The best one I've seen so far is Second Son and even that is "Meh...it looks good, I'd probably buy that at 20 dollars."

Second Son is actually really good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh I'm sure I'd enjoy it - I really liked the first two inFAMOUS games. I'm more concerned about how short it is. It's difficult to justify paying full price for a game that can be completed in <10 hours.

And no, I don't buy Call of Duty games.

Edit: It also looks very similar to the other inFAMOUS games. Like I said, I'd probably like it, but it's definitely another inFAMOUS game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
"It's definitely another _____ game" should get you put on some sort of list.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Second Son is actually really good.

Saints Row 4 was better even if it was uglier.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Look, the game was heavily criticized when it came out because it was too similar to the other inFAMOUS games. Like it or not it's a pretty accurate characterization of Second Son. Despite that it still has overall good reviews. Which means it is a good game but it was brought down because there was no innovation...just iteration.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dunno, I hated Infamous 1 and 2, but Second Son is really fun to me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What did you hate about inFAMOUS 1 and 2 that was not present in 3? What made it stand out to you?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dan Didio posted:

"It's definitely another _____ game" should get you put on some sort of list.

It's some dangerous ground to thread around Nintendo, at least.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kirios posted:

Look, the game was heavily criticized when it came out because it was too similar to the other inFAMOUS games. Like it or not it's a pretty accurate characterization of Second Son. Despite that it still has overall good reviews. Which means it is a good game but it was brought down because there was no innovation...just iteration.

99% of all video games right here.

Kirios posted:

What did you hate about inFAMOUS 1 and 2 that was not present in 3? What made it stand out to you?

Don't go down this path. He'll answer and you'll respond "but actually" and it'll just be a big, stupid derail.

All FPS games after Quake were derivative garbage with no innovation, just iteration therefor you cannot like them up to a certain point because reasons.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

"I just want the same poo poo I played as a kid but prettier."

If you get care-mad about the above statement lol

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Can't wait for the Metroid Other M 2 announcement, more babies more problems.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's just a bunch of little things in the gameplay that on the surface aren't noticeable but really add up. Infamous 1 and 2 play horribly, the controls are awful. Second Son isn't perfect but it's so much more playable. The gameworld in Second Son feels alive and has a lot of personality, it helps that it's based off a real city and i'm a little bias because it's my hometown. The cities in Infamous 1 and 2 were really boring.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Broken Cog posted:

Haha, I know, right.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

...but it's an accurate explanation of a lot of Nintendo games, especially New Super Mario Bros. U. I don't get what the problem is? And I really enjoyed that game!

Does Mario Kart 8 look great? Absolutely! Am I looking forward to it more than any other game this year? You bet. Is it definitely another Mario Kart game? Of course. But it should say something after the 8th Mario Kart game I'm still very excited for it yet after the third inFAMOUS game I'm a little...hesitant.

Jimbot posted:

99% of all video games right here.

Not 99%, that's a ridiculous hyperbole. But say....60-70%? I completely agree.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I said come in! posted:

It's just a bunch of little things in the gameplay that on the surface aren't noticeable but really add up. Infamous 1 and 2 play horribly, the controls are awful. Second Son isn't perfect but it's so much more playable. The gameworld in Second Son feels alive and has a lot of personality, it helps that it's based off a real city and i'm a little bias because it's my hometown. The cities in Infamous 1 and 2 were really boring.

The addition of smoke air dash and neon wall runs makes an absolute huge difference. I couldn't stand Infamous 1, it had terrible movement, some pretty dumb difficulty scaling, REALLY awful sewer levels, and boring sidequests. Infamous 2 I played to completion and had more fun. No frustrating sidequests but still really limited movement until about halfway or more into the game. I would have given up if I never got that Ice jump in infamous 2.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Huh, that actually sounds kind of interesting. inFAMOUS 1 and 2 could be a little frustrating to control and if they've tighten it up a little that's a good thing indeed. I wouldn't say that had movement issues though...you could really traverse the city quickly when you got fully powered up. Although I could see it being a problem initially.

Jimbot posted:

Don't go down this path. He'll answer and you'll respond "but actually" and it'll just be a big, stupid derail.

All FPS games after Quake were derivative garbage with no innovation, just iteration therefor you cannot like them up to a certain point because reasons.

...no, I was just curious what he had to say as I was looking for a different perspective on Second Son. For the love of God people I don't want to hate the loving game I just want to hear some personal opinions on it. This forum can get so cynical and negative at times.

I just wish Second Son wasn't so drat short. Maybe that's why you guys like it...it doesn't overstay its welcome?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kirios posted:

Huh, that actually sounds kind of interesting. inFAMOUS 1 and 2 could be a little frustrating to control and if they've tighten it up a little that's a good thing indeed. I wouldn't say that had movement issues though...you could really traverse the city quickly when you got fully powered up. Although I could see it being a problem initially.

...no, I was just curious what he had to say as I was looking for a different perspective on Second Son. For the love of God people I don't want to hate the loving game I just want to hear some personal opinions on it. This forum can get so cynical and negative at times.

I just wish Second Son wasn't so drat short. Maybe that's why you guys like it...it doesn't overstay its welcome?

I beat Second Son in one sitting. It was incredibly disappointing. I actually wish there were more unique side quests to do with stories and cutscenes. Just more time to watch Delsin be Delsin. Hang out with his super hero pals more.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kirios posted:

Being short definitely means it never has time to get lovely but I bet it could've gone another 4-5 hours with another power set and a more elaborate version of the current final powers. Maybe not even another power set.

The Show is the awesome next gen game you're looking for.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kirios posted:

The Wii U has no games!

Wii-U has no support, and the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 have a larger list of upcoming releases than the Wii-U.

Like if the Wii-U had support it might have stood a chance against all the awful design decisions that went into the systems. But all it has is Nintendo releasing less than half a dozen games for it in the upcoming year. It's really not enough to offset the bad.

Especially since at this point it still had less games than the PS4 and Xbox One. Mind you the system had over a year to get going compared to the other two and only now is it just getting a game that was probably worth the price of the system.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 16, 2014

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ularg posted:

I beat Second Son in one sitting. It was incredibly disappointing.

How long was said sitting?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Electromax posted:

How long was said sitting?

I'm not answering that for my own sanity. I will say that I enjoyed every bit of it.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
#girlwood

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Kirios posted:

Ularg posted:

The addition of smoke air dash and neon wall runs makes an absolute huge difference. I couldn't stand Infamous 1, it had terrible movement, some pretty dumb difficulty scaling, REALLY awful sewer levels, and boring sidequests. Infamous 2 I played to completion and had more fun. No frustrating sidequests but still really limited movement until about halfway or more into the game. I would have given up if I never got that Ice jump in infamous 2.

Yeah, mobility was a huge improvement in Second Son, and the city looked far more like a real city than a generic video game one. Being based on a real city helped, although it really comes down to making each area feel unique, like Stillwater in Saints Row 2.

The combat was much better as well, since the first two games felt more like a third person shooter like Uncharted, but a bit easier to jump around. The regular lightning shots felt very weak, since they moved very slowly, you had to constantly tap R1 to fire, and it would take several shots to defeat each enemy no matter where you hit them. Most shooters give you an assault rifle right at the start, rather than making you use a pistol for the first few hours.

Combat tends to be much closer range in Second Son, so you're not picking off enemies on another building and hiding every so often to restore your health. Being able to subdue enemies from a distance by attacking specific parts of the body is far less tedious than pinning them all to the ground with electricity for good karma. The karmic bomb attacks also influence how you play, since you need to avoid killing civilians or surrendering enemies to get the good karmic bomb, or just keep a death combo going for the evil one.

I didn't play the first game past the first hour, but I did complete 2 and Festival of Blood. I wasn't really into Sly Cooper though, but this game really showed how important Sucker Punch will be to Sony from now on. Hopefully they'll announce some DLC at E3 for the people who thought the main game was too short.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm hoping that Ubisoft's E3 this year has hashtags constantly rotating in the corner. Like really efficient closed captioning.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Only good next gen console is the 3DS. Seriously.

Even the 3DS took about 2 years before it had anything worth a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Ularg posted:

I'm not answering that for my own sanity. I will say that I enjoyed every bit of it.

edit: nevermind

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 16, 2014

• Locked thread