Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Jim seems like a cool guy. :unsmith:

He's mega-nerdy, though. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zore posted:

To be fair, Chitinous and Susurrus are almost all in the Codex Alera stuff. I think Chitin comes up maybe twice in Dresden proper when he's describing some of the Denerians. So people who haven't read Alera probably aren't going to have the instinctive reaction.

Alera is a pretty good series overall with the weakest books being the first and last for anyone who hasn't read them. The middle four are all very good Butcher stories and very different from Dresden.

Oh maybe I should give Alera a second chance after Skin Game then. I found the first book to be mediocre. I liked the premise though

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
Oh, also, that was my question at the very end, but the guy asking it messed it up - I phrased it as "Who's your favorite character to have only appeared in one Dresden book?"

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Screen Door Slams posted:

Butcher's doing a video chat right now: http://booktalknation.com/video/butcher

e: Ended now. Link to the YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM-Phtpvm8s

Oh his hair is long again.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

Oh maybe I should give Alera a second chance after Skin Game then. I found the first book to be mediocre. I liked the premise though

The first book is mediocre, easily the worst of the series and arguably worse than Fool Moon. It gets a lot better from there on out though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Skippy McPants posted:

The first book is mediocre, easily the worst of the series and arguably worse than Fool Moon. It gets a lot better from there on out though.

I like the first book; it's the second that I hate. The second act is torture.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Here's the next batch of words people wanted to know about.

feline: 40
serpentine: 16
sinuous: 19
murphy is good people: 2
snarl: 551 :stare:
chitinuous: 5
susurrus: 1
murphy : 3303
marcone : 823
mab : 886
bob : 1405
molly : 1881
michael : 1617
charity : 474
susan : 1196
red court : 329
white court : 173
black court : 58
law\laws of magic: 73
circle: 893

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Screen Door Slams posted:

Oh, also, that was my question at the very end, but the guy asking it messed it up - I phrased it as "Who's your favorite character to have only appeared in one Dresden book?"

Well he did answer that anyways, saying the new character in Skin Game was fun to write

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Fried Chicken posted:

Well he did answer that anyways, saying the new character in Skin Game was fun to write

Fair point, heh.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Say, look what showed up at my store. Good thing I can read it during my breaks.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Beastie posted:

Say, look what showed up at my store. Good thing I can read it during my breaks.

You lucky bastard :argh:

edit: Definitely checking out a nearby store that broke street date on Dance With Dragons, maybe I'll get lucky!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Beastie posted:

What city are you in? I ordered a signed copy online but maybe I can find it in the shelves early

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
No stores near me ever break street dates. I hate you people. So much.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Oh I can't sell this yet, but that doesn't stop me from taking a copy and reading it on my breaks over the next 10 days.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No stores near me ever break street dates. I hate you people. So much.

Worst for me was White Night. We were deploying the day it came out for a month at sea, so I'm at B&N at closing the night before trying to explain it and bribe to get it 2 hours before street and they wouldn't deal.

Before the crash retail stores were staffed by easily bribable high schoolers who didn't give a gently caress and you could deal with, not adults who understand what it means for the store and care about it. Thanks Obama

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Beastie posted:

Oh I can't sell this yet, but that doesn't stop me from taking a copy and reading it on my breaks over the next 10 days.

I don't want you to sell it to me, I want you to "accidentally" put it on the shelf so I can read it at the in store coffee shop and then hand it to you when I'm done and you can get praise from you manager for catching the "mistake" of breaking street

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I want you to post dozens of fake spoilers with one real spoiler in the mix.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Which book and roughly what page is does the whole polka dinosaur thing start? I've got these all as e-books and want to dig out that chapter or so.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pound_Coin posted:

Which book and roughly what page is does the whole polka dinosaur thing start? I've got these all as e-books and want to dig out that chapter or so.

Book 7: Dead Beat

It's near the end of the book, 5 or 6 chapters from the end.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Silento posted:

Jim seems like a cool guy. :unsmith:

He's mega-nerdy, though. :shobon:

You make that sound like a bad thing. :smugbert:

Beastie posted:

You bastard.

Best lunch breaks you're gonna get!

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

It just means he's going to have to endure an even longer wait than the rest of us for the next book. That makes things on our side a little bit better.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
:negative: At least I get to read Severed Streets on the 20th.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Harry returns to his home planet.

Murphy and Mike get engaged but the wedding is cancelled, BY VAMPIRES.

Snape kills Dumbledore

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AMA is up
http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/25q3em/i_am_jim_butcher_author_of_the_dresden_files_the/

If people haven't seen it yet.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Beastie posted:

Harry returns to his home planet.

Murphy and Mike get engaged but the wedding is cancelled, BY VAMPIRES.

Snape kills Dumbledore

Seems legit.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hahahah, I knew it!

But seriously, knock that poo poo off Butcher.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

Is Mac more than a human? I think he's not, but there's a growing faction that believes he's either Merlin or some sort of Gray Angel

Jim Butcher posted:

Mac has never once done anything beyond the capability of a plain old vanilla human being.

Kind of interesting, but absolutely worthless as far as actual information goes.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

That is an interesting non-answer.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Book 16 is titled Peace Talks "and will probably be one of the more supernaturally violent books to date :)"

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Arcsech posted:

Kind of interesting, but absolutely worthless as far as actual information goes.

This has me wondering about something. Could a supernatural being freely act if they were to constrain themselves to working as a vanilla mortal? Could say, Uriel, decided "gently caress this noise I'm gonna go mix it up" and put his power and most of his knowledge in storage or something, then go after Nicky with a shotgun?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Peace Talks... Mavra or Titania I wonder? If guess the former as formal peace between vampires and the white council is now viable while peace between the courts is against their very natures.

Is the next book due to be a vampire book?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Masonity posted:

Peace Talks... Mavra or Titania I wonder? If guess the former as formal peace between vampires and the white council is now viable while peace between the courts is against their very natures.

Well they are at peace with the vamps. Lara set it up, and then Harry killed all the Reds so it isn't starting up again.

I'd guess the formor

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Arcsech posted:

I dunno, I thought the bit about the eldest of each race being a mantle was pretty interesting.

e: doh, I completely misread that. My bad :shobon:

OptimusWang fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 16, 2014

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

OptimusWang posted:

I dunno, I thought the bit about the eldest of each race being a mantle was pretty interesting.

Ah, no, I was referring specifically the question and answer that I quoted. There's some other stuff in there that's interesting, but that non-answer stuck me as a particularly good example of using very specific wording to say not a whole lot.

Other interesting stuff:

quote:

How did Mouse use Dresden as a mana battery? Is it a question of ambient siphoning, i.e. being around a large enough power source 'gives off' a certain amount of atmospheric grounding that Mouse absorbs, for lack of a better term?

Can he do the same for the faith-based energy of Michael, his family, or those tasked with the guarding of it?

quote:

1) He didn't. :) Lea had incorrect assumptions about the source of Mouse's power.
2) No, he can't. It isn't what he does.

Maybe Mouse was drawing strength from Dresden's conviction about saving Maggie? It's not a threshold but it would kinda make sense, given that foo dogs are guardians.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 16, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Masonity posted:

Here's the pattern so far:

Vampires: every 3rd book. (Grave Peril, Blood Rites, White Night, Changes)
Fairies: every 4th book. (Summer Knight, Proven Guilty, Changes)
Denarians: every 5th book. (Death Masks, Small Favor)
Bad Wizards Did It: Every prime number that isn't one of the above (Storm Front, Fool Moon (someone gave the FBI guys shapechanging), Dead Beat, Turn Coat, Ghost Story)

If the pattern holds true, Skin Game will be Denarians (which is confirmed) and vampires, which no one has confirmed yet. I'm hoping Mavra pops up from the grave. She's one of my favorite villains in the series.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

My first guess is that Peace Talks will be about the Fomor. Could be a lot of things, though, so who knows?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Bobs new vessel (or Harry suffering for failing to craft one) will be in skin game

Little bit of winter lady Molly in skin game, much more in peace talks

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Confirmed: Mouse is a good boy :3:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Fried Chicken posted:

Well they are at peace with the vamps. Lara set it up, and then Harry killed all the Reds so it isn't starting up again.

I'd guess the formor

Ugh. I forgot about the former part. Obviously I knew they were at peace with the red court these days... The best kind of peace at that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Masonity posted:

Ugh. I forgot about the former part. Obviously I knew they were at peace with the red court these days... The best kind of peace at that!

Pax Dresdenada, one might say.

• Locked thread