Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Attention all :denmark:-goons. Biltema (our answer to Harbor Freight) is finally, finally, FINALLY opening a store in the greater Copenhagen area.

FINALLY!

Their cheap poo poo tool selection is miles ahead of T.Hansen and Harald Nyborg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

opengl128 posted:

I figured this would be an appropriate place to ask. Can anyone recommend some good Nitrile gloves? I used to get Gatorskins or something from Amazon, and they were fine, but ran out and everything I've tried since then suck. They are super thin and tear within minutes of use.

I tried a few samples from Microflex and really liked the Supreno ECs and the Duraflock gloves, I haven't gone through a box of either yet. Their site at least gives you the most detail on the thickness of the gloves, even the differences between the palm and finger.

And after doing that great research I screwed up and bought a box of latex gloves from Autozone on accident.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm rocking some Microflex (can't recall which model). So far they have held up and with Zorotools offering pretty much monthly discounts, I've paid less then the Harbor Freight black heavy duty nitrile gloves.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got some Microflex gloves as well. Specifically these ones and I'm happy with them. They're fairly durable and go on and come off easily without grabbing hair like whatever brand I had before.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
Microflex Duraflock are the greatest gloves I have ever used.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm moving into a 700 ft^2 apartment with a wife and two cats. I need to trade my 60" workbench in for something a little smaller. How's this for $99?
http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb...utm_source=1497

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Couple of guys on ADVRider liked them in this thread (somewhere around page 5 or 6).
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380892

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

opengl128 posted:

I figured this would be an appropriate place to ask. Can anyone recommend some good Nitrile gloves? I used to get Gatorskins or something from Amazon, and they were fine, but ran out and everything I've tried since then suck. They are super thin and tear within minutes of use.

There are a ton of options and brands when it comes to disposable gloves. My company sells a lot of MCR Safety gloves, and their website is nice to compare different specs (latex/nitrile, mil thickness, color, texture, powdered or not). That might help you determine what you liked about the old gloves, and help you find another brand of the same style.

http://www.mcrsafety.com/index.php/gloves/categories/disposable_gloves

There are a ton of brands, so for every expensive brand like Microflex or Ansell, the exact same glove is probably offered for less from a brand like Cordova, MCR, or Protective Industrial Products. When you're just dealing with a few of boxes a year, if might just come down to what you can buy online the quickest.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CatBus posted:

Microflex Duraflock are the greatest gloves I have ever used.

This seems amazing since my big gripe with the HF gloves these days is that from about April to October, ten minutes outside in the gloves means they're filling up with sweat.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I'm moving into a 700 ft^2 apartment with a wife and two cats. I need to trade my 60" workbench in for something a little smaller. How's this for $99?
http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb...utm_source=1497

I owned one and still do. I used it at a dealership and pepboys. The only reason I have gotten rid of it is I overfilled it.
P.S. look for one of the 99$ coupons. Its defenitley a good box.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone here have or work with a tubing bender? I'm looking at a Baileigh or JD2 Model 32 or 4.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

This seems amazing since my big gripe with the HF gloves these days is that from about April to October, ten minutes outside in the gloves means they're filling up with sweat.

Ever get a nice little balloon of sweat in a glove and then you go to wipe your forehead with the back of your hand?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

the spyder posted:

Anyone here have or work with a tubing bender? I'm looking at a Baileigh or JD2 Model 32 or 4.

I used a JD2 Model 32 to build a cage for my team's lemons car last summer. It was pretty heavy duty. It did require a long bar on the handle to bend the 1.5x.095 tubing we were using. We also had to make sure that the clamp bolt was super tight otherwise the tube would slip. Overall it worked well for us.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Had to built my parents a new set of stairs before leaving because the old ones rotted out and were no longer safe. 8 feet wide five steps to the porch in half a day without a clue of what I'm doing. It's not pretty, but it'll work.

Main point is gently caress the Skil wired drill both in reverse and sideways. A chore to use in any position except straight down with full weight on it to drive 3" screws into pressure treated wood. Just a hair off and the bit slips right out of the screw. Guess balance is a lot worse than the cordless DeWalts I'm used to working with.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I haven't kept up with this thread.

What's a good helper tool for brake bleeding? I've neglected this job on my vehicles for too long.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Ziploc posted:

What's a good helper tool for brake bleeding? I've neglected this job on my vehicles for too long.

Motive pressure bleeder (or DIY equivalent)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ziploc posted:

A friend. (Definitely not your wife)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Ever get a nice little balloon of sweat in a glove and then you go to wipe your forehead with the back of your hand?

I like when I am wrenching and the stream of sweat pours down my forearm.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Ziploc posted:

It depends if you have an air compressor or not.
Are you trying to bleed or flush?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Gunson Eezibleed. It uses a spare tyre for the pressure and makes bleeding quick and almost fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SouthsideSaint posted:

I like when I am wrenching and the stream of sweat pours down my forearm.

The best is when you happen to have your arm strung across your face just right and it drips into your mouth.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I use pr88. It's a cream that you rub on your hands and it dries to a film that's supposed to prevent oil and such from absorbing into your skin. I don't think it's quite as awesome as their page says it is, and it doesn't quite wash off as easily as they say. But before I started using it, if I ever got brakleen, diesel, gas, etc on my skin, I would have dried and cracked fingers for a week, and now, nothing. Even the good thick nitrile gloves rip open easily, and I can't stand having sweaty hands all day.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Brigdh posted:

Seconding this. Easier and cleaner than a mityvac. Teflon wrap the fittings, and make sure you get the right adapters for the vehicles you plan on working on.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I used a friends professional dewalt cordless drill and impact a while back and it was nice. That said the most impressive thing was the quick release screwdriver fitting thing on the end. I don't think it was standard, his was pink anodized so people wouldn't nick it, so what the hell do I look for? Anyone got one?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cakefool posted:

Gunson Eezibleed. It uses a spare tyre for the pressure and makes bleeding quick and almost fun.

I just start the engine up and use manifold vacuum as a vacuum bleeder. Make sure to use a catch can, though.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got a Mityvac MV6835 which has worked great for me. I was looking at the Motive bleeder but didn't want to dick around with different master cylinder adapters. Being able to easily DIY a Motive styler bleeder for cheap is tempting though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Brigdh posted:

Thirding this, bleeding brakes is a joke now.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

thegasman2000 posted:

I used a friends professional dewalt cordless drill and impact a while back and it was nice. That said the most impressive thing was the quick release screwdriver fitting thing on the end. I don't think it was standard, his was pink anodized so people wouldn't nick it, so what the hell do I look for? Anyone got one?

Are you talking about a 1/4" hex shank?

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

thegasman2000 posted:

I have a Milwaukee driver with that attachment. Some friends also have Ryobis with the same thing so I think it's starting to become standard on drivers.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Pressure bleeders are awful.

All they are there for is to spread brake fluid all over your paint, your house, and probably your mouth.

Plus some time with abs, you have to bleed it properly with the pedal anyways, or a valve closes and no fluid comes out.

I just get my wife to press the brake. If you don't have a wife, um, craigslist for a brake pusher?

m4bp - looking for someone to press the brakes on my car

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

confonnit posted:

I have a Milwaukee driver with that attachment. Some friends also have Ryobis with the same thing so I think it's starting to become standard on drivers.
http://www.dewalt.com/tool-part-categories/Socket-Adapters.aspx

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

blindjoe posted:

I have considered this. Or recruiting neighborhood kids.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blindjoe posted:

All they are there for is to spread brake fluid all over your paint, your house, and probably your mouth.

Plus some time with abs, you have to bleed it properly with the pedal anyways, or a valve closes and no fluid comes out.

I just get my wife to press the brake. If you don't have a wife, um, craigslist for a brake pusher?

A poor workman blames his tools...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Alone at 2am, I have wedged down the pedal with cut 2x4 then cracked the bleeder. Over and over and over.

Works better on clutches

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I usually gravity bleed to get most out along with the nasty old fluid, then use an old beer bottle filled with new fluid and a piece of vinyl hose to keep air from going back into the bleeder. Works great, no helper needed.

At least till I realized I could use manifold vacuum. Now? Why bother? I still use that method when I don't have a long enough piece of hose on hand though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blindjoe posted:

I've been pressure bleeding brakes on all kinds of cars (and motorcycles) for years and have never had a single problem. On some things it's about the only way you're going to get a clutch bled (944s are pretty notorious for this). It produces the best pedal feel of all methods I've tried (vacuum and gravity).

It doesn't sound like you know how to use the tool.

And the ABS thing is just bonkers, because pushing the pedal does nothing to bleed an ABS system. Different cars have different procedures.....from nothing at all different to bleeders on the ABS unit itself to manufacturer software (which can usually be bypassed by simply slamming the brakes on on wet grass a few times to make the pump run).

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Fair enough.
I am probably just useless with the speedibleed (borrowed from a friend, who also found it blew fluid everywhere). I found the biggest problem was it was supposed to hook up to the tire to get pressure, and the regulator just ramped up to 50psi. At 50 psi, the cap blew off, and all the fluid that was in the tank spewed all over.
So maybe I should change my dislike to "pressure bleeders with broken regulators borrowed from "friends"" Luckily I loaned it away and refused to take it back from the next guy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Christ, 50psi? 15 on my DIY was enough to get the fronts to bleed quite nicely, even with the gasket obstructing the ports on my master cylinder adapter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blindjoe posted:

Fair enough.
I am probably just useless with the speedibleed (borrowed from a friend, who also found it blew fluid everywhere). I found the biggest problem was it was supposed to hook up to the tire to get pressure, and the regulator just ramped up to 50psi. At 50 psi, the cap blew off, and all the fluid that was in the tank spewed all over.
So maybe I should change my dislike to "pressure bleeders with broken regulators borrowed from "friends"" Luckily I loaned it away and refused to take it back from the next guy.

OK, so you were using broken equipment that is overcomplicated in design to begin with.

Hardly a reason to condemn pressure bleeding.

Sane pressure bleeders have a simple pump like a garden sprayer. 5 PSI is usually more than enough. Go to 10 and you can bleed all 4 without pumping it again with something the size of a motive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The 50 psi was what the tire was at when I hooked it up.
Seems like an easy solution until the regulator didn't work.
I screwed it all the way down, until the spring fell off, and it still would go to 15 as the lowest. Which was still enough for the cap to blow off and spray fluid everywhere.

Maybe the next guy will toss the whole thing out, that probably would help the whole problem.
It had the fancy machined adapter tops, but they weren't exactly the right ones. The GM ones that clamped around the reservoir probably worked. The one I used screwed onto the plastic of my subaru.