Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SunAndSpring posted:

I'd buy a Kira tie. Of course, I'd never wear it in public ever, but it'd be nice to have.

Why? You'd look perfectly respectable AND cool. What's the downside, young man? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

Is there a legitimate licensed one out there? I saw somebody dressed as Kira at a convention and he said he had to make his own.

Apparently he spent all weekend getting mistaken for Cecil from Welcome to Nightvale.

Yep, a fashion company in Japan made them (and a bunch of other Jojo-themed clothing): http://www.ultra-violence.com/moreinfo/jz0411.html

They seem to have lost the Jojo license at some point, though, so they aren't making them any more.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I'm buying that ice tray and nothing's gonna stop me except Japanese credit cards. I'm not gonna lie, I want those converses too, but just because I want anime on my feet and I have awful taste in shoes.

I know one of the people who gets stuff for CR's store. I am going to point her in the direction of those cube trays.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Broseph Brostar posted:

Is there a legitimate licensed one out there? I saw somebody dressed as Kira at a convention and he said he had to make his own.

Apparently he spent all weekend getting mistaken for Cecil from Welcome to Nightvale.

The one I bought was $50 and it's alright. There are some really nice ones for like $400.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
That coffin isn't life-sized. Not buying.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Doc V posted:

Yep, a fashion company in Japan made them (and a bunch of other Jojo-themed clothing): http://www.ultra-violence.com/moreinfo/jz0411.html

They seem to have lost the Jojo license at some point, though, so they aren't making them any more.

Oh? Pity, they had a lot of great t-shirt designs made by Araki. :smith: They are also loving expensive at 5k yen a piece. They're also limited prints so good luck with finding any anymore. I bought mine from an alternative clothing store in Nakano broadway last year, in the same building that Mandarake and other comics/toy stores reside. If anyone is going to Tokyo I recommend checking the place out.

E: 5000, not 50000. :downs:

jyrque fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 17, 2014

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

jyrque posted:

They are also loving expensive at 50k yen a piece.

As in $500? For a t-shirt?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus loving christ, I would totally get an Araki-designed shirt but not for loving $500 :stare:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Oops, 5k.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That's much more reasonable

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
I think my JoJo RPG is possibly ready to playtest. If anyone's interested, PM me your Skype details.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well there are custom shirt and tie sites.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Okay, I was thinking about starting this project, and I wanted to run this by you guys first.

I want to gather up tons of fan art and letters from western Jojo fans, put 'em in a big box, and send them to Araki to show support from western fans. I think it would make him happy. It would make me happy if I had a comic and got tons of fan mail from different countries.

What do you guys think? Good idea or absolutely stupid? I keep going back and forth on it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

DicktheCat posted:

Okay, I was thinking about starting this project, and I wanted to run this by you guys first.

I want to gather up tons of fan art and letters from western Jojo fans, put 'em in a big box, and send them to Araki to show support from western fans. I think it would make him happy. It would make me happy if I had a comic and got tons of fan mail from different countries.

What do you guys think? Good idea or absolutely stupid? I keep going back and forth on it.

Wonder how much the shipping would cost, but yeah, it'd be cool.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
He probably already gets enough fanmail from Western fans to know JoJo's appreciated here.

Volcano Style, I don't have PMs, but I'd like to get in on the JoJo RPG goodness. Do you have a throwaway/nonpersonal email I could contact you through instead?

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
Sure thing. It's volcanostyle@gmail.com. You can probably find me just if you search for my username on Skype, it's the same as the forums.

Also, are JoJo figures usually ridiculously expensive? I picked up two figures of Narancia and Mista in a £5 grab bag from a random stall at a local convention and turns out they're worth $25 each.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Volcano Style posted:

Sure thing. It's volcanostyle@gmail.com. You can probably find me just if you search for my username on Skype, it's the same as the forums.

Also, are JoJo figures usually ridiculously expensive? I picked up two figures of Narancia and Mista in a £5 grab bag from a random stall at a local convention and turns out they're worth $25 each.

Depends on the quality of the figure really. I've gotten some nice Gappy and Mista figures with tons of possibility and extra parts for about 70 bucks each. I also grabbed a Bruno a while back that wasn't the highest quality in the world, but his arms and legs are held together by magnets which I found hilarious and I currently use his body parts as fridge decorations - picked that one up for like 50 maybe?

So yeah you probably got a really good deal.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Volcano Style posted:

Are they super action statues? I got my mista and narancia SASs for about 35-ish dollars off amiami.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Volcano Style posted:

Cool, I went ahead and added you on Skype.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
I added you on Skype as well, I'm super interested in a JoJo RPG.

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.
I finally got back to reading SBR, and I really like the characters so far. Wikapipo's effect is really cool. It's been a while so it never occurred to me other families would use the steel balls in different ways. I do think my favorite so far is Civil War, the sin related effects and Axl's design are interesting. The revaluation when Johnny shot him was nuts though.

Volcano Style posted:

Added you too, really interested.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Angry Walrus posted:

He probably already gets enough fanmail from Western fans to know JoJo's appreciated here.
Rohan Kishibe said that his work was too subtle for westerners to appreciate. Though that was like 1993, and that was a fictional character.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Isn't Rohan also an anti-social, arrogant douchebag? I am pretty sure Araki is on record saying that Rohan isn't based on him at all in the first place.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Soulcleaver posted:

Rohan Kishibe said that his work was too subtle for westerners to appreciate. Though that was like 1993, and that was a fictional character.

And half of Rohan's character is being acting like he's superior to everybody, and being an rear end in a top hat. I love him so muh

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

a cartoon duck posted:

Isn't Rohan also an anti-social, arrogant douchebag? I am pretty sure Araki is on record saying that Rohan isn't based on him at all in the first place.

Yeah, Araki has said Rohan is pretty much the opposite of himself.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, when's the next chapter of Jojolion come out? I'm eager to see how Gappy deals with this rock guy.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Raws should be coming out within the next few days, I think the soonest I've seen a chapter come out is the 19th.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Ultra Jump comes out on the 19th, which means you should expect it sometime this week.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Angry Walrus posted:

It would still be a nice gesture to have a huge-rear end organized thing, though. I mean, Japan has JoJo flashmobs, we need to step up our game. :v:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I've been really enjoying the current season of the anime. It's also the first anime I've been watching consistently in forever. Has anyone got any recommendations for another show that's pretty similar, and preferably new?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has battles that fight the puzzle tone that Stardust Crusaders has going.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nilbop posted:

I've been really enjoying the current season of the anime. It's also the first anime I've been watching consistently in forever. Has anyone got any recommendations for another show that's pretty similar, and preferably new?

Hunter x Hunter, maybe?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It would still be a nice gesture to have a huge-rear end organized thing, though. I mean, Japan has JoJo flashmobs, we need to step up our game. :v:

If only we had our own equivalent of Shoko then maybe Araki would self-publish his manga over here.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

If he did, someone would probably sue his rear end over names. Folks are jerks.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Doesn't England have more lax copyright laws than the United States? Maybe they could publish there to have it in English but without mangling most of the names.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I don't even understand why song name references are so bad that musicians would file a lawsuit over them. I mean, it's a reference. He didn't steal their songs or anything, he just gave a ghost that punches people a name that refers to them or their music. You figure they'd profit from the free advertisement.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

You figure they'd profit from the free advertisement.

I only heard Get Back because of JJBA.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't even understand why song name references are so bad that musicians would file a lawsuit over them. I mean, it's a reference. He didn't steal their songs or anything, he just gave a ghost that punches people a name that refers to them or their music. You figure they'd profit from the free advertisement.

It's not usually the musicians that are the problem, it's the labels and record companies, who are infamously litigious about the stupidest poo poo.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And Prince. Prince is a crazy-rear end dude who will litigate at the drop of a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

I only heard Get Back because of JJBA.

This has less to do with free advertisement, and more to do with your musical experience having massive gaps like "Let It Be."

• Locked thread