Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Arrived on the Mall, about half a klick from the Capitol is the epicenter. I could see it being -maybe- 1000 clustered. Lots of Gadsens , and one huge US flag.

EDIT: is poop-touching allowed for in-person events? I have a ton of crazy 3x5' flags at home to choose from and come wave around: Greenland, Kashmir Independence, Aussie Aboriginal, Bretagne, Orange Order, etc.

You got City of Washington DC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Holy poo poo, whole platoon of cops just marched over!

Come on kettle!

I am definitely staying this side of the police line. There are lots of dumb oblivious tourists mingling amongst them though. This is exactly why tourist guidebooks say "stay away from protests".

This was the best day to check the Freep thread. Keep posting, please, so that I may live my Liberal Fascist Crackdown Fantasy* through you.

*Inspired by a former teacher of mine calling me a Nazi for being liberal.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Chatting w/ Capitol police; mixed between being slightly annoyed, or bemused and happy to get overtime.

At any point, there are about 10 people up on the Capitol balcony watching. All the actual congressmen have offices elsewhere, so it's not like they're under Boehner's window.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
They sang the national once, and just finished Lee Greenwood "proud to be an american".

Even just marching from the Mall up to the Capitol, they lost easily half their crowd. I guesstimate well below 500 now.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They sang the national once, and just finished Lee Greenwood "proud to be an american".

Even just marching from the Mall up to the Capitol, they lost easily half their crowd. I guesstimate well below 500 now.

There's a lot of decent food trucks around there.

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

All the actual congressmen have offices elsewhere, so it's not like they're under Boehner's window.

They're in the Rayburn and the Longworth buildings.

ColdSnickersBar fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 16, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Radish posted:

There's a lot of decent food trucks around there.

I got photos of some big 'uns at the Mall concession stand.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Swollen with pride at all of the patriotic splendor of the protest.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

You're doing the lord's work, TTFA.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
At least part of the column appears to be marching/diddy-bopping/trundling down the hill, but a few are staying . Not sure what's the plan, or if they were ordered to disperse, or what. kinda anti-climactic, haven't even seen riot gear deployed.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

At least part of the column appears to be marching/diddy-bopping/trundling down the hill, but a few are staying . Not sure what's the plan, or if they were ordered to disperse, or what. kinda anti-climactic, haven't even seen riot gear deployed.

This is very important: How many Rascal scooters do you see?

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

I could never understand why "Proud To Be an American" has a special place in some peoples' hearts. I always thought it sounded like the "Like a Rock" Chevy commercials from the 90's. It's so cheesy and unexplainable. They even played it at my EGA award ceremony in the Corps. All I could think of was some aging contemporary soft rock singer and Chevy trucks.

It's weird. It's like on the same level as patriotic battle marches and historic folk songs to some people, and seemingly to a department of the Navy (or maybe just my crazy senior DI).

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Has there ever been a public right wing demonstration in the US that got so much as a whiff of pepper spray?

Seriously...ever. All the way back to George Lincoln Rockwell. Is the only way to get your head split by the cops in this country to be a peace or labor protester?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Why are all these Americans so fat?

I don't get how you can champion personal responsibility, and then go and abuse it on something so fundamental as personal health.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

Has there ever been a public right wing demonstration in the US that got so much as a whiff of pepper spray?

Seriously...ever. All the way back to George Lincoln Rockwell. Is the only way to get your head split by the cops in this country to be a peace or labor protester?

In my experience as an attorney who does legal support for a lot of left wing protests here in DC, "Ha Ha Ha."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ocrassus posted:

I don't get how you can champion personal responsibility, and then go and abuse it on something so fundamental as personal health.

No no no you see they EARNED enough to eat all that fattening food and it's their right to do whatever they want no matter how much that commie Michelle tries to makes kids not have diabetes. Totally different from those fat minorities living high off the welfare hog.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 16, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Freedom. Freedom to stuff your face full of fatty, lovely food.

Well that and Southern-type food isn't exactly healthy.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I!'ve seen maybe a dozen rascals, but only 2-3 actually went up to the Captol. Others stayed at base camp on the mall.

I conducted an actual hand count of the withdrawing procession: about 415.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ocrassus posted:

You must be new to this thread. Hi!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
They're doing the whole ARE TROOPS thing, so every single cop is getting "thanks for your service" hundreds of times each. That and the real crazies hollering "you're an american, come join us" or "please, you must arrest Obama".

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Ocrassus posted:

EFB: FREEDOM :byodood:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Not sure where the column is marching as I tag in the flanks. I hope/dread it's the White House; the odds of crazy foaming over would be highest there.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Ocrassus posted:

The food is sweet, salty, delicious, cheap and plentiful, and there is little or no infrastructure or incentive to walk anywhere, and all the manual labor jobs are done by illegals. Also the work hours are long. Being healthy is for the wealthy. If you are a blue collar schlub, you don't have time or inclination or company to make it to the gym during the work week, and your knees are probably shot from being fat anyway.

The amount of sugar in prepared food is past insane and into hilarious. Had an Azeri exchange student the other year who about flipped her poo poo after a week when she encountered honey mustard. "Your bread is cake, your meat is candied, and even the mustard!"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
The Mall has some famously arcane parking rules, notoriously easy place to get towed. I do not envy Parking Enforcement today, getting screamed at about Benghazi after ticketing an F350.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Operation American Spring falls flat: ‘This is very disappointing,’ Texan says

quote:

To: Oliviaforever

Unfortunately or fortunately however you look at it the people that need to go to an event like this have jobs or other responsibilities. The progressives that attends rallies of the left have nothing else to do or get paid for attendance.

6 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:30:37 AM by mosaicwolf (Strength and Honor)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

The organizers are calling for a coup. That’s why conservatives are staying away.

8 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:34:07 AM by kristinn (Welcome to the Soviet States of Obama)

quote:

To: mosaicwolf

There is another factor to think of.

The State is very willing to attack and punish detractors, look at the IRS. Many are keeping their heads down.

And to be honest, this thing had an odd feel to it. I just couldn’t shake the feeling it was a false flag.

11 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:35:42 AM by redgolum ("God is dead" -- Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" -- God.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

quote:

To: redgolum

False flag, I agree. It was designed to fail from the start for the purpose of demoralizing the Tea Party movement ahead of elections. As if oppression by the IRS isn’t enough.

16 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:39:58 AM by CivilWarBrewing
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

quote:

To: redgolum

False flag operation?

We were wondering the same thing this morning. Nobody heard of it until a day or two ago.

The fellow on Savage yesterday just sounded like the stereotype the left has for a Tea Party’er...a retarded, drawling hick.

18 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:42:27 AM by x1stcav ("The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

quote:

To: WayneS
"I live in Virginia and this article is the first I’ve heard of this demonstration."

Beacuse it's a false flag operation, designed to create the illusion that there's no groundswell of opposition in DC government.
33 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:53:56 AM by Spirochete (GOP: Give Obama Power)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

quote:

These people are calling for an overthrow of the Government. That is Treason. Of course we would never attend such a thing. We love America.

The sad part is we are painted with their ridiculous display instead of being credited for staying as far away from it as possible.

34 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:54:56 AM by RIghtwardHo

quote:

To: rightwingintelligentsia

Were there thousands of people on Tahrir Square on day one?

4 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:39:52 AM by demshateGod (The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

The Mall has some famously arcane parking rules, notoriously easy place to get towed. I do not envy Parking Enforcement today, getting screamed at about Benghazi after ticketing an F350.
Do we have a heli-drone big enough just to start picking them up and carrying them off? (The illegally parked vehicles, not the protesters :v: )

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

This is such a perfect example of "conservatism can't fail; it can only be failed.": because this demonstration failed, it MUST be a "false flag" because if it were real conservatives, it wouldn't fail.

Not only can they not fathom that there just isn't very many people who agree with them, but they can't even fathom that almost no one is even aware of the event. They really think that a false flag like this would mean anything, as though the whole nation was watching to see if they got their numbers out today. This couldn't be a "false flag" because it doesn't even embarrass anyone. No one is watching. We're only aware of this whole thing because we're the only people at this zoo watching these people.

ColdSnickersBar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 16, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

To: rightwingintelligentsia

Were there thousands of people on Tahrir Square on day one?

4 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:39:52 AM by demshateGod (The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

So does this guy think that the conservatives should emulate Tahrir square and stay for a long time, dare I say, occupy the Mall?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

So are these people planning on camping out until Obama resigns or what? What're the camping rules in DC?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Slo-Tek posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Cripes, the column is indeed rolling up on 1600 Pennsylvania...

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

It's okay. Nothing will happen. This wont even make it on the news.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

This is a citizen's arrest! Come out with your Quran up!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

ColdSnickersBar posted:

It's okay. Nothing will happen. This wont even make it on the news.

Just takes one crazy, and out come the 37mm foam batons and gas cannisters.

I was really thirsty so stopped to stand in line to buy a lemonade. I was worried since they all passed me by, but I managed to catch up with about 5 minutes of brisk walking while sipping lemonade.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Iunno, some brave soul may get riled up enough to throw garbage over the fence. Woe be unto that poor, dumb, fat, white rear end in a top hat.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
A lot of foreign tourists around this look very confused.

A German couple with minimal English asked me what was going on. They didn't understand the word "rightist", but nodded knowingly when I just said "fascists".

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

ColdSnickersBar posted:

I could never understand why "Proud To Be an American" has a special place in some peoples' hearts. I always thought it sounded like the "Like a Rock" Chevy commercials from the 90's. It's so cheesy and unexplainable. They even played it at my EGA award ceremony in the Corps. All I could think of was some aging contemporary soft rock singer and Chevy trucks.

It's weird. It's like on the same level as patriotic battle marches and historic folk songs to some people, and seemingly to a department of the Navy (or maybe just my crazy senior DI).

People loving love that "stand up" part.

Edit: also we are definitely not the only ones looking, this has been trending on twitter all afternoon.

Elim Garak fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 16, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
They're trying to chant Benghazi, but the crowd can't decide which syllable to stress, so it sounds really spastic.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Well, been fun, but gotta get to Embassy Row for actual non-fictional politics; gotta turn in signatures to get cannabis legalization on the ballot.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

A lot of foreign tourists around this look very confused.

A German couple with minimal English asked me what was going on. They didn't understand the word "rightist", but nodded knowingly when I just said "fascists".
"Sie est scheissenkopfen und arschlocher."

• Locked thread