Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Elucidarius posted:

That is exactly how I took it.

Real Laura is gonna be pissed off when she finds out her half brother has been stabbing her friends.

Is this the first time we learned that Raze killed Mystique and has been appearing as her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

twistedmentat posted:

Real Laura is gonna be pissed off when she finds out her half brother has been stabbing her friends.

Is this the first time we learned that Raze killed Mystique and has been appearing as her?

Yeah, this issue confused me. Where those scenes supposed to take place in the Brotherhood's future, essentially showing their past?

Whatever the case may be, is Xavier's second son now part of the 616 universe? And when the hell did Mystique and Xavier hook up?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Yeah, this issue confused me. Where those scenes supposed to take place in the Brotherhood's future, essentially showing their past?

Whatever the case may be, is Xavier's second son now part of the 616 universe? And when the hell did Mystique and Xavier hook up?

Wasn't Mystique appearing as Moira when giving birth? They call her Mctaggard so I assume at some point Mystique as Moira had sex with Xavier.

Probably how Raze was conceived as well. Mystique appeared to Wolverine as Squirrel Girl or Spiral, and 9 months later, a really evil mutant popped out.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't Mystique appearing as Moira when giving birth? They call her Mctaggard so I assume at some point Mystique as Moira had sex with Xavier.

Probably how Raze was conceived as well. Mystique appeared to Wolverine as Squirrel Girl or Spiral, and 9 months later, a really evil mutant popped out.

It's explicitly set a year ago (and sort of suggested that it's happening at the same time as, or slightly after, the climax of AvX). Bendis plays very fast and loose with the Marvel sliding timescale but I doubt he's suggesting Moira was supposed to be alive a year ago in comic book time. Also Xavier should be kind of difficult to fool in that way, not sure on whether or not Wolverine can sniff out Mystique.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I hate Bendis' X-Men, the future Brotherhood and everything associated with BotA, the worst X-Men story ever.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Suben posted:

I hate Bendis' X-Men, the future Brotherhood and everything associated with BotA, the worst X-Men story ever.

Would that we lived in a world so great that anything Bendis writes will be the worst X-Men story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Suben posted:

Chuck Austen says hello

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Chuck Austen says hello

I'll contend that it's worse than anything Austen wrote. There's at least some kind of logic, stupid as it might be, in something like The Draco and you can kind of see what Austen was doing. Battle of the Atom makes no sense whatsoever, is awful from start to finish and of course has a non-ending that means all of this dumb poo poo is going to be (and is now) revisited.

Also all of the dumb poo poo at the end of the story where Wolverine basically says everyone he killed doesn't matter and Kitty yells at everyone for being awful jerks for trying to send the O5 back and not making it their decision after being shown that basically time will destroy itself if one of them dies. I'd like Kitty a whole lot better if we were actually supposed to think she's selfish and stuck-up instead of thinking we're supposed to think she's cool for those reasons.

Suben fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 15, 2014

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Man, X-Force is such a great book can we talk about that instead? Because dang, this issue got loving dark.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Suben posted:

No More Humans was good.

I guess the new thing is Mystique just has sex and children with every character, because?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Waterhaul posted:

No More Humans was good.

I guess the new thing is Mystique just has sex and children with every character, because?

She's supposed to be Wolverine old, right? Maybe she's just getting bored now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cabbit posted:

It's a good way to kill nine months.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Suben posted:

No Mure Humans was enjoyable. The main villain for that spins out of BotA, so it's had some good effects.

But yeah, overall, Bendis's X-Men is a disappointment, feels like a jumbled mess. Does not help that Bendis is a huge fan of reverting everything before he leaves the book, so you know that this will have nearly no consequences.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Cabbit posted:

But her son is now back from the dead so she should be happy!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Man I'm really glad I dropped ANXM. I was actually kind of enjoying it but I had to cut down on books. I flipped through the issue at the store though and was confused as poo poo.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Senor Candle posted:

Man I'm really glad I dropped ANXM. I was actually kind of enjoying it but I had to cut down on books. I flipped through the issue at the store though and was confused as poo poo.

Buying a year of Marvel Unlimited for $35 was the best comic thing I've done. Every 3 months, I can binge through things like ANXM and others to catch up on what's happening without buying the $4 books that are triple shipping. Would definitely recommend it as the way to keep up with things like ANXM, where they're important to the overarching Universe's story, but you don't want to buy every issue or can't afford it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I used to really like ANXM, but this issue was dissapointing; I don't like the future Brotherhood and the whole "we are children of Mystique" felt really dumb.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Hahaha, Death of Wolverine will apparently have holofoil covers thus further proving my theory that the '90s never actually went away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suben posted:

Hahaha, Death of Wolverine will apparently have holofoil covers thus further proving my theory that the '90s never actually went away.

Did the 50+ 3D covers from DC add to that in any way?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I know "No More Humans" was supposed to be a peripheral event, i.e., not necessarily relevant to anything going on in the ongoing X-books. But didn't it end with Raze in a Phoenix-sanctioned "time-out"? And didn't Magneto significantly villian-ify himself, much moreso than anything in UXM or his solo book?. It just didn't jive reading that last week, and then picking up with Raze's latest shenanigans the very next week.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Starting to think Bendis needs his own complaint thread 'cause drat

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He has that, its the X-men thread.

If you want to talk about the other X-books you can but he is kind of a big part of it for the foreseeable future.

Cutting it in half would just kill the thread.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No one talks about the other books a whole lot. Not one person posted in this thread that Doug Ramsey appears to be dead again. :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IUG posted:

No one talks about the other books a whole lot. Not one person posted in this thread that Doug Ramsey appears to be dead again. :mad:

I tried, I really tried but All New X-Factor fell completely flat for me so I gave up.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What's the general thread thoughts on the Magneto series? I've been picking it up and really enjoying it. I like the idea of Magneto being this wandering death bringer to people who gently caress with Mutants. Sort of like a mutant Punisher.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm dumping Wolverine. There is just nothing going on in it that I remotely care about.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

Soonmot posted:

I'm dumping Wolverine. There is just nothing going on in it that I remotely care about.

For real. There were bits and pieces of the previous Cornell series that I liked but I'm completely disinterested in whatever's going on with this plotline.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's the general thread thoughts on the Magneto series? I've been picking it up and really enjoying it. I like the idea of Magneto being this wandering death bringer to people who gently caress with Mutants. Sort of like a mutant Punisher.

It's easily the best thing Bunn's written at Marvel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Suben posted:

I'll contend that it's worse than anything Austen wrote. There's at least some kind of logic, stupid as it might be, in something like The Draco and you can kind of see what Austen was doing.
:stare:

The story where Azazel comes to to Earth to impregnate women so they can make babies so he can come to Earth?

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really like it so far. I think Magneto's a hard character to find a place for sometimes in that he's spent too long as a hero in different stints to ever really be a straight-forward villain again, but it also doesn't feel quite right to have him be just another superhero. I think this run is finding a good place for him that walks the line between those two ideals.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

:stare:

The story where Azazel comes to to Earth to impregnate women so they can make babies so he can come to Earth?

Such an odd example to use. If anything, the one interesting thing Austen did was to give Juggs a redemption arc.

Nurse Annie + Havoc 4eva

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

IUG posted:

I'm sure he'll get better

I hope that girl has some powers that make guys want to help her or something because this issue was kinda weird, I don't know why Lorna went along with it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

irlZaphod posted:

I don't know why Lorna went along with it.

It is heavily implied that Lorna is not well, more so than usual. You could say you can justify any plot logic with that as a basis, but really all it would show is that you are not familiar with mental illness and how it affects wants, obsessions, and mood swings.

That said, the ending of this issue really looked like a mess. I can see the conflict ("she is brainwashed, she doesn't know the outside world!"), but the girl suddenly having mutant powers or whatever which is probably why she is isolated in the first place was kind of janky in how it was presented.

I'll keep reading it, though. So far I have seen nothing groan-inducing and it's not like anything else better is being written right now in the X-Men line. I did like the little touch with Quicksilver not telling Havok all the truth because someone made a passing comment about his father.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

I made the same decision which sucks because I love Wolverine. At least he appears in 50 other books.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So whats up between Rogue and Magneto? Every time I see them together Erik is awkwardly flirting with her, and she doesn't seem to mind. I was reading Legacy last night and Magneto straight up asks her to marry him in the middle of AvsX.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

So whats up between Rogue and Magneto? Every time I see them together Erik is awkwardly flirting with her, and she doesn't seem to mind. I was reading Legacy last night and Magneto straight up asks her to marry him in the middle of AvsX.

They have an on off relationship.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

twistedmentat posted:

They had a brief romantic entanglement back around Uncanny #269, but it didn't particularly end well.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Magneto and Rogue are dating, kind of, for most of Legacy until they break up when she moves on to the Jean Gray School.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They were married and had a kid in Age of Apocalypse. I think Rogue was also involved with Magneto's clone, Joseph, who they thought was the real Magneto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And I thought X-23 and Young Scott was the weirdest relationship. And considering how Rogue treats Wanda in Uncanny Avengers, she'd not make a great stepmom.

And now that I've read Schism, I completely agree with Logan.

• Locked thread