Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm dying so stupidly every Freja attempt I'm going to have cleared the path to her at this rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

Well to be fair this works on a lot of people. PvP advice for regular people and PvP advice for those who know what the gently caress they are doing is very different. I'm continually astonished at how poo poo the average player is at PvP. I don't use a shield in PvP so I don't have first hand experience, but I have no trouble believing that simply using a dark infused shield will best most hexers. Maybe not a hexer who actually has some skill, but most hexers. The majority of players are one trick ponies and if you hard counter their favorite move they become utterly helpless (and usually continue to try it anyway until dead).

I hate to tell you this, but Merciless Roenna was an NPC!!!!

To be a fair, it depends a lot on whether you invaded him while he was PvEing, or he summoned you (or vice versa) to duel. Any hexer that gets invaded while they're PvEing is likely to be attuned differently from a PvP hexer. If they're set up for PvP they should have scraps of life (knocks you down on your rear end, making for an easy climax/GRS hit), profound still, affinity (with 60 int for 5 orbs), GRS for non-knockdowned/non-guard-broken shots, and climax for guardbroken/knockdowned shots. If they're PvEing though, they're probably only carrying GRS and RS. If they're a bitch (like me), they'll also be hybrid built to melee with their right and cast with their left. I've been invaded a number of times by people who don't know how to handle hybrids.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 16, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

I'm dying so stupidly every Freja attempt I'm going to have cleared the path to her at this rate

Don't feel bad dude, I've run in more than once and got instantly flattened by her leg coming down. :downs:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Don't feel bad dude, I've run in more than once and got instantly flattened by her leg coming down. :downs:

I keep either getting taken out by spiders or focusing on them so much I miss the beam happening. The rare times neither of those happen and both phantoms I summon die to the beam

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ComaPrison posted:

To be a fair, it depends a lot on whether you invaded him while he was PvEing, or he summoned you (or vice versa) to duel. Any hexer that gets invaded while they're PvEing is likely to be attuned differently from a PvP hexer. If they're set up for PvP they should have scraps of life (knocks you down on your rear end, making for an easy climax/GRS hit), affinity (with 60 int for 5 orbs), GRS for non-knockdowned/non-guard-broken shots, and climax for guardbroken/knockdowned shots. If they're PvEing though, they're probably never carrying affinity, climax, or scraps of life. If they're a bitch (like me), they'll be hybrid built to melee with their right and cast with their left.

Affinity is pretty terrible against anyone remotely decent. And I don't know why you wouldn't carry Scraps of Life around for PVE, it's pretty much the best hex for dealing with crowds.

And I wouldn't say it has anything to do with spell choice, it's that most hexers or spellcasters in general are poo poo and have no idea how to do anything other than spam spells.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ComaPrison posted:

If they're a bitch (like me), they'll be hybrid built to melee with their right and cast with their left.

What? Hybrids are the only casters I ever have any trouble with. The ones who put a shield in one hand and rotate the casting implement/weapon in the main hand are almost always complete poo poo. You're doing it right.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Jose posted:

I cleared most of the guys on the path to the Smelter. The only other place that's even come close is the path to the Chariot.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Affinity is pretty terrible against anyone remotely decent. And I don't know why you wouldn't carry Scraps of Life around for PVE, it's pretty much the best hex for dealing with crowds.

And I wouldn't say it has anything to do with spell choice, it's that most hexers or spellcasters in general are poo poo and have no idea how to do anything other than spam spells.

I never have crowd control issues, due to being pretty experienced with baiting (a skill carried over from other games). The only time I've had to pull out scraps of life for PvE was with the royal rat boss in Grave of Saints. Too many adds on that one.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

What? Hybrids are the only casters I ever have any trouble with. The ones who put a shield in one hand and rotate the casting implement/weapon in the main hand are almost always complete poo poo. You're doing it right.

What I meant is that those are the ones that are a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ComaPrison posted:

I never have crowd control issues, due to being pretty experienced with baiting (a skill carried over from other games). The only time I've had to pull out scraps of life for PvE was with the royal rat boss in Grave of Saints.

You don't "need" it but why wouldn't you carry it when it's the best hex for crowds?

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

You don't "need" it but why wouldn't you carry it when it's the best hex for crowds?

Because I virtually never run into crowds. 99% of the time I'm only ever dealing with 1-2 mobs at a time. Also, even though you were being an rear end in a top hat while doing it, I'll have to thank you for insisting that ruler's sword is good. I dark infused it at +5 and it's pretty good with resonant weapon. Up until then I was just using lightning infused defender's greatsword. The weapon buff saved me a couple of attunement slots, but that doesn't matter anymore after I maxed attunement.

Edit: Playing around with RW buffed dark infused old whip. It's pretty awesome too. Too fragile for PvE but can probably last long enough for PvP

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 16, 2014

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Jose posted:

I will never not sprint from lower Tseldora to the spider room immediately before Freja.

Also, tying into the magic/hexers being OP, that fight is when I learned that Darkstorm is pretty drat good, y'all. Walk through the fog, cast it, no more spiders to worry about.

It also made Royal Rat Vanguard take about a minute.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Finally killed her, only upped my soul memory 300k to do it. Hope that doesn't mess up summonings for the rest of my game. What a loving stupid system. Its annoying because I want to continue to kill her so I can get the souls needed to get my SL to where I can use the moonlight greatsword too but that will definitely put me too high

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cyberventurer posted:

My problem is that I almost never seem to land any attacks. Melee, spells, whatever. 99% of my stuff is just dodged no matter how I try to time stuff, and it seems like whenever I try to do the dodging, I'm struck almost all the time. Most of the time I'm still in range, sure, sometimes I'm not. It's frustrating. Only time I seem to land any hits is when it's a 2v1 and the other person is distracted and can't see me. Even then, I still lose half the time because if the host focuses on me, I just fall apart.
I found a lot of PvP for mages to be centered around creating situations where dodging is less effective. Just shooting a beam will let them dodge easily , even sequential beams. The trick is to mix up spells in a way that allows you to hit them as they're coming out of a dodge roll. Follow up the dodge of your Soulmasses with a Soul Spear, Soul Greatsword, or even melee attack if you're close enough. Having a decently leveled Blue Flame is great for this.

As for dodging, focus less on the position they're hitting and more on the timing of when they'd be dealing damage if they were going to connect.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

f#a# posted:

I will never not sprint from lower Tseldora to the spider room immediately before Freja.

You can sprint all the way, just bait the spider dude in the alcove with ladder to come out and then run around all the enemies from the right side, then in the spider web hall just go straight until you hit the wall and jump down the webs right there in the corner. All in all you can be there very fast and with very little risk of getting murdered by the crowd of enemies you aggroed along the way.

As for Freja... if you're a magic user you can kill her by literally non-stop running counter-clockwise in a circle, the spiders will not catch up to you in 95% cases and you can easily avoid the beam by running straight by her side to the other head.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jose posted:

Finally killed her, only upped my soul memory 300k to do it. Hope that doesn't mess up summonings for the rest of my game. What a loving stupid system. Its annoying because I want to continue to kill her so I can get the souls needed to get my SL to where I can use the moonlight greatsword too but that will definitely put me too high

I finished NG at well over 2 million soul memory and had no trouble with summons. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
I just got 2 blue flames; I enchanted one with a faintstone, and it does significantly less damage now. Does enchanting it have an effect on its abilities as a catalyst?

Specifically, its damage goes from 110/160 phys/magic to 61/166. How should I enchant these? My character has 65/65 int/faith and just enough str/dex to wield the weapon.

I'm thinking of instead trying blue flame in offhand and grand lance in main hand, and working to pick up Hidden Weapon. Basically, I'm tired of chucking spells at everyone. Is crystal magic weapon + hidden weapon on a grand lance a viable PVP strategy?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cardboard Box posted:

I finished NG at well over 2 million soul memory and had no trouble with summons. I wouldn't worry about it.

This. I feel like a lot of people are super stressing about SOUL MEMORY when they don't have to. Players are pretty spread out, and not getting summoned for 30 seconds doesn't mean you've flown off the brackets or something. There is no magic range of soul memory per zone, it's all over the place for different players. Yeah, if you have five million SM in NG then you should get a loving move on, or if you're at 300K in Drangleic castle it's probably gonna be pretty empty. But outside of extremes like that I think people are way over thinking soul memory ranges.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

Well I'm at around 1.5 million now and I'm only at the start of Drangleic castle but I'll probably do it anyway because I'd really like a good melee weapon

A bigger problem might be getting any summons using a second bonfire ascetic there to fight Freja

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 16, 2014

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Mariposa posted:

I just got 2 blue flames; I enchanted one with a faintstone, and it does significantly less damage now. Does enchanting it have an effect on its abilities as a catalyst?

Specifically, its damage goes from 110/160 phys/magic to 61/166. How should I enchant these? My character has 65/65 int/faith and just enough str/dex to wield the weapon.

Have you actually tried hitting things with it to confirm it does less damage? Those numbers are only for the base damage, the faintstone infusion should also increase the magic damage scaling and for many weapons that already do elemental damage of that type before infusing the effect is quite noticeable even if the scaling letter grade sometimes stays the same.

Small and Blue fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 16, 2014

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Internet Kraken posted:

So apparently you can cut off the Rotten's arm and it will drop a pharos lockstone. I'm trying to figure out the implication of that. Gonna have plenty of time to think about it while he crushes me over and over because I'm fighting him with low agi at SL 25. Dodging is hard :saddowns:

Pharros is probably in there!

I hear a lot of people mention getting Frejastomped; my favorite is the beam, though! Did you know that beam goes through walls/the fog door? True story. Host walks into Freja fight, I switch something out real fast, and as I approach the fog door to follow the host... nyyyeeewww. You Have Been Vanquished. Never even got to see the stupid spider.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
My first attempt at Freja, I just got destroyed by that laser. Not because it was unfair or nothing, I just sucked at dodging. The second time, I brought the NPC summon with me, I don't remember his name. Somehow, we managed to focus enough damage on the heads that they both fell off before Freja was dead. That... ended poorly, since she was now invincible. Why is that even possible, From Software? :cripes:

Then I summoned some player phantoms, all of which promptly ran into the spider laser and died within the first 5 seconds of entering the boss room.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I learnt something new today, when dropping Smooth & Silky stones for the birds you can't drop them all at once, but you can drop them one at a time without leaving the menu and then pick up all the items. Wish it didn't take me this long to figure this out.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

ComaPrison posted:

I use it dark infused and max upgraded. It's great. Also hint: if you're fighting a hexer and he doesn't guard break your anti-dark shield before casting, you're fighting a newb. Some of you guys being so proud at knowing how to press button to raise shield are lol.

Yeah, but if you're getting HIT by guard breaks and not just moving slightly and shanking them for their terrible efforts then you deserve to get Climaxed all over.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 16, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Playing M+KB

Are you just broke right now, or what? I'm legitimately curious. I don't mean to be a dick but I just don't understand why you'd do that. :psyduck:

Power to ya I guess.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Jose posted:

Well, my soul memory is high enough to fight Nashandra even though the first Drangleic Bonfire is as far as I've got. Died as a summon when she had like 5% hp left :negative:

Wait I'm curious, are you saying you can fight Nashandra without getting Giant's Kinship if you have a high enough Soul Memory?

edit: Oh I see, right he was able to be summoned to fight her :doh:

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 16, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Atoramos posted:

Wait I'm curious, are you saying you can fight Nashandra without getting Giant's Kinship if you have a high enough Soul Memory?

He means his SM is at the level of someone who is about to fight Nashandra, despite just having got to Drangleic Castle.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jose posted:

Like other people said, you're definitely worrying about it too much, when I was fudging around at the end of my last playthrough I was at 3.5M soul memory and invasions and summonings were still common everywhere, there's definitely no real set SM to be at for an area.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It's a bit nifty to play with M+KB once you go through the hoops (dsfix and such), it won't feel as smooth as a controller but there's little features like rapid aim and clicking quickly through menus. After playing tons of jedi academy throughout my teens pressing spacebar to dodge feels too natural.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Small and Blue posted:

Have you actually tried hitting things with it to confirm it does less damage? Those numbers are only for the base damage, the faintstone infusion should also increase the magic damage scaling and for many weapons that already do elemental damage of that type before infusing the effect is quite noticeable even if the scaling letter grade sometimes stays the same.

Yes, I tried hitting things with it, and the faintstone-enchanted one does significantly less damage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

david... posted:

Like other people said, you're definitely worrying about it too much, when I was fudging around at the end of my last playthrough I was at 3.5M soul memory and invasions and summonings were still common everywhere, there's definitely no real set SM to be at for an area.

Yeah, really the only way you can gently caress your soul memory is walking around with an obscene amount of souls (like, hundreds of thousands at least)and managing to lose them to stupidity (wear your loving ring!) That or getting soul memory bombed by a hacker who jumps off a cliff and drops a cool million in your lap.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

david... posted:

Yeah I'm going to go for it and stop worrying. Just wonder if asceticing the bonfire in Brightstone Cove twice will make summoning extra hard at low soul memory or if it won't matter after NG. It was worth it getting crystal soul spear though, does so much more damage than any of my other attacks. What sort of damage does sunlight spear normally do? I'm hitting for around 800+ with a +10 archdrake staff and crystal soul spear

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mariposa posted:

Yes, I tried hitting things with it, and the faintstone-enchanted one does significantly less damage.

If you're talking PVE, that's not surprising, since like the first game physical damage is the best (Especially if it's strike). Enemies tend to resists elements more, some of them significantly so (i.e. Lionmen). For PVP, more elemental damage is always better, and even more so if you buff add a buff on top (this makes it better for PVE, too, unless it's an enemy that heavily resists that element).

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:aaa: I just found the steel armor set. Didn't think the game would have it. Always liked the look of that one. Not sure what hat to use for it though. Most of them cause the collar to be removed which is unacceptable. :colbert:

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
nevermind

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Pro click.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm starting to get really frustrated by the BoB Arena. Matches never take too long to find, but losing is loving harsh. Not only does it count against my covenant progress (I don't care too much about that, but it's stupid), but I don't get an orb, meaning I've basically wasted my time. Plus, the people in the arena are actually occasionally pretty good at PvP or have phantom range like crazy (the worst was when I got hit by a greatsword combo from what seemed like triple its range), making the duels basically impossible.

E: I just want red eye orbs man. :smith:

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 16, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I not reached the end of the game, but I really hate Shrine Of Amana so far. While it lacks the constant poison nature of Brightown or Valley Of Defilement, but I starting to hate it more then those two. Mostly the constant homing magic everywhere, with the water slowing you down so you can't dodge them. The other enemies annoy me there too, but the fact I just reached the third bonfire in this place and I see even more wizards up ahead!

And I just notice the thread title.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

That actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Pharos was known for helping people by building random poo poo, and he obviously created Doors of Pharos for Grym after humans forced them underground. The Gutter is supposed to be a refuge for the outcasts of Drangleic, and he's the only person in the lore that would build such a thing. Then something went wrong and it turned into a ramshackle shithole. I'd guess he started to turn undead and lost his mind, and as a result his crafting skills degraded further and further. So the Gutter is just barely held together, and then Black Gulch is filled with nothing but statues because that's all he could make as his mind degraded even more.

I'd guess that he actually is the Rotten, or rather the entity that controls all the corpses its made out of. How did he manage to turn into that? Well the Rotten drops a fragment of Gravelord Nito's soul on NG+, so he might of found that and used it. As to why Nito's soul would be all the way down there, I dunno. Maybe Grave of Saints is actually the Crypt from Dark Souls, which is why its full of giant skeletons.

And to think I didn't even consider any of this until I saw the Rotten drop a lockstone. Yet it makes a ton of sense. The lore in these games is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just went back to Bastille to knock that rock over the well and bring up the little cage full of explodey mummy guys for the wanderer armor they drop. Didn't know about it until just now because I did it on a different character, so I decided to bring my main dude there to get the set. I knocked the rock and started spinning Santier's Spear like a madman; I ended up killing one of the dudes on the cage that comes up, and that was the one that dropped the armor. So the drop sat there on the cage I couldn't jump up to, couldn't reach, etc. I tried to jump around from a cart nearby. Got onto the cart, but then couldn't move. Tried attacking the cart and instantly died. The "You died" thing popped up and my camera flew away. Lost the drop and the guys didn't respawn. Maybe if I try leaving the area and coming back, it will work? Either way, pretty lovely! I guess I can get it in NG+. There's a lot of poo poo I didn't do, like get Lucatiel to fight with me at 3/4 bosses she can fight at, or do Pate's storyline, or have the other thing that Pate's involved in with another NPC in Tseldora happen. Oh well. I guess I can do that all in NG+? My guy is level 134. Pretty ownage. Just got Raw Santier Spear and not having to repair a weapon again just blows my mind.