Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Flesh Forge posted:

You probably want to look into cage traps also, because spiders etc. can be captured and trained (and when those have babies, those can even be tamed, which is better)

I don't think GCS are capable of reproduction outside of world gen. I've never worked with any other spiders, though so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Neurion posted:

I don't think GCS are capable of reproduction outside of world gen. I've never worked with any other spiders, though so :shrug:

If I remember the updates correctly and haven't forgotten any, none of the "exotic" creatures (regardless of whether or not they are tamed) have offspring in the current release. Although I think it is just a simple boolean variable or something leaving it turned off.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wish there was a Dwarf Fortress Android port.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You know, it'd be easier to just put your phone in the oven and set it to broil for an hour.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I suppose DFTerm might work on a phone...

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

But who would you subject to that interface? A touchscreen would be facemelting.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It can be changed. Go to o for orders, F for forbid options, then p to toggle between forbid/claim used ammunition.

This never works for me, at least in Masterwork. I keep making sure the Forbid options are all set to claim but still, everything outside defaults to forbidden...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Senso posted:

This never works for me, at least in Masterwork. I keep making sure the Forbid options are all set to claim but still, everything outside defaults to forbidden...

Pretty sure that only changes things that drop after you change it. You'll still have to unforbit everything already there manually.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Senso posted:

It's supposed to do that. Bolts can't be restacked into bundles of 25 anyway.

Everything outside is just default set to forbid so that Urist McPeasant doesn't run out of the fortress in the middle of a huge battle to pick it up. Say you kill a goblin, 10 dwarves would instantly run out to collect his socks, heedless of the 30 other goblins

However, you can mass reclaim items in the designation menu. d > b for the item properties menu! Here you can mass designate things to be dumped, melted, reclaimed, and forbid

I'm not sure if single bolts can be melted down either, can they?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Kayle7 posted:

Say you kill a goblin, 10 dwarves would instantly run out to collect his socks, heedless of the 30 other goblins

I don't care, I prefer disabling auto-reclaim when a siege starts than having to manually reclaim bolts and javelins and all the goblinite. :(

Even in a new world, with enabling it right at the start, I still find tons of forbidden random ammo all the time. I WANT MY SURROUNDINGS CLEAN.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Senso posted:

I don't care, I prefer disabling auto-reclaim when a siege starts than having to manually reclaim bolts and javelins and all the goblinite. :(

Even in a new world, with enabling it right at the start, I still find tons of forbidden random ammo all the time. I WANT MY SURROUNDINGS CLEAN.

Not sure how to do that, but if you wanted, you could just hit d > b > c then start your selection at one corner of the game and end it at the other corner, a couple z-levels down too. That way you just designated absolutely everything to be un-forbidden :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Senso posted:

It's... complicated. Even with everything set to claim there are still certain classes of item that always get forbidden. I haven't worked out exactly what the conditions are (I suspect it may have something to do with invaders, or as you say with being outside/inaccessible -- do you use bridge airlocks?) but I think setting reclaim used ammo should at least make your dwarves pick up after your own marksdwarves.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neurion posted:

2) If you don't care about selecting specific bolts or items to be reclaimed, you can go into the Stocks menu (make sure you have a bookkeeper dwarf) and reclaim whole types of items from there.

Be careful doing this, it's useful but sometimes there's a bolt somewhere that you can't find easily and no dwarves can access and it'll just spam "urist has canceled put item in stockpile: no path found" A LOT.

Kayle7 posted:

It's supposed to do that. Bolts can't be restacked into bundles of 25 anyway.

I'm not sure if single bolts can be melted down either, can they?

They can, I'm pretty sure. The danger is the bit about bolts not getting restacked, because sometimes a dwarf will grab 4 stacks of (1) bolt and run outside thinking he's all stocked up since he grabbed 4 stacks. Then he'll shoot 4 bolts and be out of ammo.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 14, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Devlogged in the face

Toady One posted:

I was reminded that I haven't been coloring the dev page. I'd been keeping up my internal notes (for the version number), but I forgot that I had a "done-for-next-time color" online. So I've colored some in. Keep in mind that many of the upcoming features for this release aren't on that page, since it doesn't have all of the v1 features.

Off to TWO5SIX!

delays :argh:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kayle7 posted:

Bolts can't be restacked into bundles of 25 anyway.

They can't be restacked, but they can be shoved into a quiver together. Archers can fill their quivers with partial stacks and individual bolts.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So a long time ago in I think the first Dwarf Fortress thread, somebody wrote about the tale of Duciem the Dwarf (or spelled something like that. Duicim? Duicem?) and went on all these crazy super violent adventures and it was hilarious. Did that story ever make it to a let's play format or anything? Does anybody even remember what I'm talking about?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I hope you're not referring to Obok Meatgod.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

scamtank posted:

I hope you're not referring to Obok Meatgod.

So, I just googled this, hoping it was some crazy Cacame-like story.

Instead it was some pedophile modding DF to allow raping children to death. :gonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my dad posted:

So, I just googled this, hoping it was some crazy Cacame-like story.

Instead it was some pedophile modding DF to allow raping children to death. :gonk:

What?

Sorry, apart from the obvious what the gently caress, that... isn't a mechanic in DF. As in dwarf-dwarf interaction in any real sense.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I vaguely remember him... he added extra "limbs" that could be grappled with, and might have modified the description of attacks with that limb.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Yes, and the way in which the "battles" he had using those limbs were recounted...well, one can never un-read that.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I think after Bronzestabbed ends, I'm gonna do a vanilla DF LP that's not going to be a succession, since I kinda had a problem getting new overseers into my last succession RP.

And besides, I think a Masterwork succession LP would be best to be the flagship DFLP of SA, not my dinky little one-player run.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a way to go back and see the characteristics of a embark after you have already embarked? I could have sworn that my current fort had flux stone but i've been mining like crazy with no luck yet.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

KERNOD WEL posted:

Is there a way to go back and see the characteristics of a embark after you have already embarked? I could have sworn that my current fort had flux stone but i've been mining like crazy with no luck yet.

If you're encompassing more than one biome, it might be in a small area of the fortress map. Like, just a wee corner.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

KERNOD WEL posted:

In DFhack enter 'reveal' 'prospect' and 'unreveal' in that order to get a good idea of how your fort will be for resources

Your First Sim
Oct 21, 2008

WHY DID YOU KILL ME

Robot Randy posted:

In DFhack enter 'reveal' 'prospect' and 'unreveal' in that order to get a good idea of how your fort will be for resources

Shouldn't just 'prospect all' get the same result?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Your First Sim posted:

Shouldn't just 'prospect all' get the same result?

Prospect all doesn't tell you if those 3000 tile of flux are only in the bottom left of your embark.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Gibbo posted:

Prospect all doesn't tell you if those 3000 tile of flux are only in the bottom left of your embark.

Neither does reveal prospecting.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Niavmai posted:

Neither does reveal prospecting.

Reveal lets you visually see where the concentrations are. You know, with your eyes?

Then prospect tells you the exact number.

So yeah, it does.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

KERNOD WEL posted:

You could also use tiletypes to paint a bunch of flux if you don't want to redo the embark.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Not to come off as a completely compulsive nerd, but I usually make a text file for each fortress. Jot down the characteristics of each embark, the world location (to help find it in Adventure mode), and just to keep track of dwarves I like and what projects I was working on in case I leave off playing for a few weeks or more.

Also I find it useful to keep track of how many forgotten beasts might be roaming around downstairs.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Not to come off as a completely compulsive nerd, but I usually make a text file for each fortress. Jot down the characteristics of each embark, the world location (to help find it in Adventure mode), and just to keep track of dwarves I like and what projects I was working on in case I leave off playing for a few weeks or more.

Also I find it useful to keep track of how many forgotten beasts might be roaming around downstairs.

I've done this, too. Also, when it comes to megaprojects, say I want to build a giant statue of something, I'll haul out the Lego bin or launch the Lego Digital Designer and model it before I go about building it in-game.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Apparently the guy that does Masterwork doesn't play Dwarf Fortress. Somehow that explains a lot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Danny Glands posted:

I think after Bronzestabbed ends, I'm gonna do a vanilla DF LP that's not going to be a succession, since I kinda had a problem getting new overseers into my last succession RP.

And besides, I think a Masterwork succession LP would be best to be the flagship DFLP of SA, not my dinky little one-player run.

You don't need to wait for Bronzestabbed to end (bronzestabbed is never going to end :negative:) - there's hundreds of goons interested in DF LPs. You'll be guaranteed an audience unless your writing is terrible.

Also, though, if you're thinking of doing a vanilla LP, you might wait till the next big DF release? It seems like it's going to be somewhat soonish...

Also also though, I doubt the next "flagship DFLP" will be masterwork, because it will probably instead be showing off DF2014.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
Does the LNP for Mac auto-enable the growth bug fix?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Danny Glands posted:

Multiple LPs for the same game are fine, especially for games without a firm plot. I think there are 3 "active" Sims LPs right now.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, the main problem is actually making a compelling, interesting LP. That forum is looking at more than 5 years of threads on the same single subject.

I think there already was one with Masterwork, but it quietly petered out.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
What was the name of the succession LP that came before bronzestabbed? The one that was set in the evil swamp with the beak dogs? It doesn't seem to be on the lparchive, is there some reason it never got posted there?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Gemclod? The archive generally doesn't accept DF stuff anymore unless it's absolutely outstanding, like Matul Remrit was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

super fart shooter posted:

What was the name of the succession LP that came before bronzestabbed? The one that was set in the evil swamp with the beak dogs? It doesn't seem to be on the lparchive, is there some reason it never got posted there?

scamtank posted:

Gemclod? The archive generally doesn't accept DF stuff anymore unless it's absolutely outstanding, like Matul Remrit was.

It isn't on the official LP Archive, but Bad Munki archived it here: http://gemclod.goondorfs.net/