Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I found out yesterday that I'm going to be converted from a temp contract worker to FTE in the next month to two months. I found out due to needing to RSVP for a company retreat in June, which the other temps were not invited to. Obviously I have less negotiating power in this situation as I'm already working for them. However they low balled me majorly on the temp rate (80% of my previous pay, I was 5 months unemployed and wanted work in my field again). The other part of this is I would much rather work for a related, but distinctly different department, and I wouldn't want to work in this department for more than another year. So even if I take the FTE, I still may start looking for other work especially if they low ball me again. Anyone have any tips for me as I approach this process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spikes32 posted:

I found out yesterday that I'm going to be converted from a temp contract worker to FTE in the next month to two months. I found out due to needing to RSVP for a company retreat in June, which the other temps were not invited to. Obviously I have less negotiating power in this situation as I'm already working for them. However they low balled me majorly on the temp rate (80% of my previous pay, I was 5 months unemployed and wanted work in my field again). The other part of this is I would much rather work for a related, but distinctly different department, and I wouldn't want to work in this department for more than another year. So even if I take the FTE, I still may start looking for other work especially if they low ball me again. Anyone have any tips for me as I approach this process?

I follow this thread to learn, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I work for a big company that hires many temps. Probably close to half eventually become FTEs and the majority of those actually just apply for FT positions through the website as if they didn't even work there. Obviously they have the advantage of being able to network within the building and ask around in person for teams that are hiring. A few do come on as full time for the job they are already doing as a temp, but they are in the minority.

In either case your position to negotiate is weaker than someone gainfully employed elsewhere looking to come in, but you are in a MUCH better position to negotiate than you will be once you become an FTE. At least here our annual reviews are a joke and even with perfect performance you can expect between 2-5% max. So go for as much as you can during the interview, you've obviously shown you are better than the other temps (and probably most of the FTE) if you have gotten this far. My good friend just went from Temp to perm for the same job and got a 30% raise from his temp salary plus all of our sweet sweet benefits.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

80% actually sounds pretty high to me. People here usually go down about 70-75% now that they get vacation, insurance, 401k, bonus, etc.

E: And yup I am bad at reading.... Sorry bout that.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 14, 2014

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think he's saying his temp rate was low, but he took it because he needed the work.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

80% actually sounds pretty high to me. People here usually go down about 70-75% now that they get vacation, insurance, 401k, bonus, etc.

I guess without more info though it is hard to say it is a low ball offer.

The temp agency lowballed him. He just found out he's likely getting a full time position.

Spikes3- Have a conversation with your manager and express interest in working in your desired department and ask for their support. They will be getting a call from your new potential manager prior to you getting an interview. Be diplomatic and professional but worst case scenario they need you on your current team for a year, then you can post out.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
You may detect a recurring theme here, but the answer as noted above is that it never hurts to ask re: both the switch I'm departments and the pay.

On salary, I'd probably wait and see what they offer first as it's very possible they'll normalize you to your FT peers, at which point you have the option of trying to negotiate for an additional bump. If they don't, that's when you can go back and ask to be made whole.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Earth posted:

For an update. My "handler" (don't know what else to call the person who's doing the job offering) got back to me and told me that they are going to go ahead and do the original offer paperwork, and then I go for the counter. From that stage it enters the counter process. Hooray bureaucracy! They specifically want to do it this way because it will be quicker. If it were to go the other way then it could take longer. So I'm going to take that as a good sign that they want to quickly take care of this stuff.

Tell me if you guys think that this bodes well or not well.

Thanks again for your help!
When dealing with jobs that require clearances, having a paper offer is a very good thing. What they're telling you is likely true. Companies that do that sort of thing have to get a huge amount of things in line before they can make a formal offer, which often takes several months. If anything related to the offer changes before it's made, they have to restart the hiring process. But once you have the offer, the bureaucracy works for you. They've already decided you're good enough to hire, the paperwork is done on your clearances, and they don't want to go through the process again if they lose you. Their BATNA is extremely lousy.

BTW, don't hold it against the other companies that didn't get back to you in a timely fashion. They're likely victims of the same bureaucracy, and given the nature of employment today, you're likely to work with or for them at some point in your career.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

They've already decided to hire you, you're now negotiating price. Most companies do temp-to-hire to screen potential employees, so however long you've been temping is how long it takes them to screen a new employee. Take that time period and multiply it by your income over that time. Add overhead (ballpark 30% if you're a direct temp or 70% if you were hired through a temp agency). Then divide by the attrition rate (the percentage of temps who get hired full time). That's how much time and money it would take to replace you. For example, if you've been a direct temp working full time for 6 months (1000 hours) at $12/hour and the attrition rate is 50%, it'd take ~$30k and 6 months to replace you. That's a respectable BATNA and solid negotiating leverage. Plug in your numbers and see how it compares to their proposed salary.

One other piece of advice: Try to figure out who is advocating hiring you. If it's your department manager, asking for an immediate transfer out of his department might not be in your best interests. You'd probably still get the job, but you'd be stuck working for someone who knows you don't want to work for them. If it's someone higher in the chain of command of both departments (VP of Operations, for example), getting an immediate transfer will likely be pretty easy if you ask.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks all for the advice. As to who is trying to hire me, it's my department manager. Which is why the whole transfer departments within a year thing would look bad during that process I feel.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I want to say thanks to everyone in this thread. I've poked my head in here a few times to learn a little because I've never negotiated a salary, I've always took whatever was offered.

Well, today I received an offer for a job I REALLY wanted. Instead of accepting the first offer like I wanted to, I told them I would review their compensation package and get back to them. After reviewing this thread for tips, I came back and asked for an additional $2.40/hr. They said they would have to review it with their team.

I sweated bullets all day worrying I screwed up my offer. However, this evening they came back and offered me an extra $2/hr. An extra $2/hr just for asking! Thanks again.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 16, 2014

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I want to say thanks to everyone in this thread. I've poked my head in here a few times to learn a little because I've never negotiated a salary, I've always took whatever was offered.

Well, today I received an offer for a job I REALLY wanted. Instead of accepting the first offer like I wanted to, I told them I would review their compensation package and get back to them. After reviewing this thread for tips, I came back and asked for an additional $2.40/hr. They said they would have to review it with their team.

I sweated bullets all day worrying I screwed up my offer. However, this evening they came back and offered me an extra $2/hr. An extra $2/hr just for asking! Thanks again.
Congrats! That's $4k/year. You could take a trip to ski the Alps for a week or buy everyone in this thread a beer. I strongly advise the latter.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

swenblack posted:

Congrats! That's $4k/year. You could take a trip to ski the Alps for a week or buy everyone in this thread a beer. I strongly advise the latter.

Seconding!

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey guys,

With help from the interview thread, I got my first big boy job out of university!

However, I'm currently on a casual contract (which means they can effectively terminate me any time they choose, and I don't get holiday/sick leave pay/paid for public holidays etc etc). This isn't really an issue, but when I first started the lady who was hiring said they'd see what was going on in 3 or so months and then review going permanent from there - a probationary period of sorts.

Anywho, it's been about 3 months and I haven't heard a muttering of even going permanent, but someone who started at the same time (in the role I actually wanted to get, a HR graduate position - got offered a slightly different role as a Human Resource Administrator) got made permanent the other day.

How can I best approach this? I really want to go permanent so that I know that I have a stable job.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Guni posted:

Hey guys,

With help from the interview thread, I got my first big boy job out of university!

However, I'm currently on a casual contract (which means they can effectively terminate me any time they choose, and I don't get holiday/sick leave pay/paid for public holidays etc etc). This isn't really an issue, but when I first started the lady who was hiring said they'd see what was going on in 3 or so months and then review going permanent from there - a probationary period of sorts.

Anywho, it's been about 3 months and I haven't heard a muttering of even going permanent, but someone who started at the same time (in the role I actually wanted to get, a HR graduate position - got offered a slightly different role as a Human Resource Administrator) got made permanent the other day.

How can I best approach this? I really want to go permanent so that I know that I have a stable job.

Nothing wrong with just asking. Ask your boss to set up a meeting for a performance review and to discuss how you see your career progressing. Asking to set a specific time means they'll likely go to the trouble of having a thoughtful answer. You can include a subtle reminder in your request "Boss, it's coming up on 3 months and I'd be interested in hearing any feedback you and the team have. I'd also like to talk about what the next steps for my career here are. I've had a great time working with you and [whoever], so I'd really enjoy the chance to work here on a more permanent basis."

Or something like that.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Nothing wrong with just asking. Ask your boss to set up a meeting for a performance review and to discuss how you see your career progressing. Asking to set a specific time means they'll likely go to the trouble of having a thoughtful answer. You can include a subtle reminder in your request "Boss, it's coming up on 3 months and I'd be interested in hearing any feedback you and the team have. I'd also like to talk about what the next steps for my career here are. I've had a great time working with you and [whoever], so I'd really enjoy the chance to work here on a more permanent basis."

Or something like that.

Awesome! I was thinking of doing something like that.

Much appreciated!

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Guni posted:

Awesome! I was thinking of doing something like that.

Much appreciated!

In addition to saying that to them you may want to start a casual job hunt.

Status update for my negotiation. The offer is supposed to be in the mail (sent out Friday) and then I start the negotiation process. They said this way was going to be faster, but we'll have to end up seeing.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
After a series of interviews for a position I've been informed that the organization looking to fill a position has decided to go with another candidate. I strongly believe I'm the right person for the job and am tempted to contact the person ultimately responsible for the choice (with whom I haven't spoken yet) and make a case for myself. Would this be a faux pas, and would it hurt my future chances with the organization?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yes, just move on.

Thank them, tell them that you'd love to be considered for future positions, and then move on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

burnsep posted:

After a series of interviews for a position I've been informed that the organization looking to fill a position has decided to go with another candidate. I strongly believe I'm the right person for the job and am tempted to contact the person ultimately responsible for the choice (with whom I haven't spoken yet) and make a case for myself. Would this be a faux pas, and would it hurt my future chances with the organization?

That would be like going to someone's wedding shower to convince them that you're really the right choice for them and they're about to make a huge mistake.

It wouldn't hurt your future chances with the organization, it would destroy them.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

burnsep posted:

Assuming you were a top candidate, you wouldn't have received a 'no' unless they had a signed offer from their preferred candidate.

Since you don't know the competing candidates it's also hard to make a case that you're better than them that will provide incremental information beyond what you've already conveyed.

Sorry to hear, but time to drive on. I personally had this very situation; they went as far as to tell me that I came second, so I can sympathize with your frustration.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Yeah, it stung a bit. I decided to drop them a brief email thanking them for the consideration, mentioning that during my research into the position I'd become increasingly interested in their area of operations (an international NGO) and would be looking for opportunities to work pro bono in the field with other local organizations.

Note: this is actually true, because this field is fascinating.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Surprisingly I have a question regarding salary negotiations! I am currently in the interview process for an internal position that I'm 99% positive I'll get. Although my Jewish mother instilled a 100% fatalist attitude in me to never count my chickens before they hatch, I feel very good about my chances. Only a few other people (2-3) internally are applying, they haven't posted it externally and don't want to, and I have pretty much the perfect skillset and background for the position. The fact that my boss told me she was VERY interested in me applying after the previous person announced their departure, and that literally every other person in the department who I would be working for has wanted me in the position for months in place of the previous person is also a good sign.

I've been an almost FT seasonal worker since September making an hourly rate in the low teens, and my job ends at the end of the week. This job worked out great for my previous situation, and has opened my eyes to the career possibilities in this field. Since I'm at a NPO the salaries are of course going to be a little lower, but this is probably my best/only chance to get into an entry level position in the field and would be a huge step up for future career prospects. When discussing the position at length with my boss (who would be doing the hiring) she informed me the salary range was 32-35k yearly for someone with not a lot of experience, and up to 40k for someone with a lot of experience. At this point in my job there, I wouldn't consider myself on the very high end because it requires some specific database skills I haven't had much time or opportunity to learn due to the nature of my current position. However, I have a very strong background for the position's requirements, have intermediate - advanced Excel skills, and have consistently shown I am very comfortable working on projects/tasks way above what I was originally hired for. I've picked up everything they've shown me in regards to the database software they use and my boss knows with a little training I will definitely become an expert ASAP.

How much leverage do I actually have? They know my current hourly rate obviously, I don't really have any other job prospects, but looking at the other candidates, they would be hard pressed not to hire me. Obviously I need to wait for an actual offer, but I feel like my boss over-played her hand by revealing the total salary range to me. I'd actually be fairly ok with any of the salaries mentioned because of the opportunity the job is, but obviously want to make the most I can. I'm not too worried about asking for too much, I don't think they'll balk and just say "nevermind, we're going with someone less qualified" as they've had trouble keeping someone in this position for a variety of reasons that won't be a problem for me. If offered something in the low 30s would it be crazy to ask for $40k since my skills fairly commensurate with someone at that level and hope for something in the mid-high 30s? I'm hoping the range stays the same since the position did have a title change after the last person left but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow/the offer to see about that. I should probably start applying at other jobs in case this doesn't work out huh?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Iron Lung posted:

Surprisingly I have a question regarding salary negotiations! I am currently in the interview process for an internal position that I'm 99% positive I'll get. Although my Jewish mother instilled a 100% fatalist attitude in me to never count my chickens before they hatch, I feel very good about my chances. Only a few other people (2-3) internally are applying, they haven't posted it externally and don't want to, and I have pretty much the perfect skillset and background for the position. The fact that my boss told me she was VERY interested in me applying after the previous person announced their departure, and that literally every other person in the department who I would be working for has wanted me in the position for months in place of the previous person is also a good sign.

I've been an almost FT seasonal worker since September making an hourly rate in the low teens, and my job ends at the end of the week. This job worked out great for my previous situation, and has opened my eyes to the career possibilities in this field. Since I'm at a NPO the salaries are of course going to be a little lower, but this is probably my best/only chance to get into an entry level position in the field and would be a huge step up for future career prospects. When discussing the position at length with my boss (who would be doing the hiring) she informed me the salary range was 32-35k yearly for someone with not a lot of experience, and up to 40k for someone with a lot of experience. At this point in my job there, I wouldn't consider myself on the very high end because it requires some specific database skills I haven't had much time or opportunity to learn due to the nature of my current position. However, I have a very strong background for the position's requirements, have intermediate - advanced Excel skills, and have consistently shown I am very comfortable working on projects/tasks way above what I was originally hired for. I've picked up everything they've shown me in regards to the database software they use and my boss knows with a little training I will definitely become an expert ASAP.

How much leverage do I actually have? They know my current hourly rate obviously, I don't really have any other job prospects, but looking at the other candidates, they would be hard pressed not to hire me. Obviously I need to wait for an actual offer, but I feel like my boss over-played her hand by revealing the total salary range to me. I'd actually be fairly ok with any of the salaries mentioned because of the opportunity the job is, but obviously want to make the most I can. I'm not too worried about asking for too much, I don't think they'll balk and just say "nevermind, we're going with someone less qualified" as they've had trouble keeping someone in this position for a variety of reasons that won't be a problem for me. If offered something in the low 30s would it be crazy to ask for $40k since my skills fairly commensurate with someone at that level and hope for something in the mid-high 30s? I'm hoping the range stays the same since the position did have a title change after the last person left but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow/the offer to see about that. I should probably start applying at other jobs in case this doesn't work out huh?

The short answer is that there's nothing wrong with going for it. Just articulate your position clearly with reference to the specific skills you have that would push you towards the 'experienced' end of the scale.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

We'll start in reverse. Yes, apply for other jobs. There is no down side. The most likely outcome is you gain more info on how much you should be paid.

Internal promotions are always tricky. They know how much you make, you know your value to the company, and you both are invested in maintaining a good relationship. You need to divorce yourself from the process. Take the time to make an independent assessment of how much your specific skill set in your industry and location is worth. Don't start from their offer ranger, but rather start fresh and do an honest evaluation. Don't compare the value of $32k/yr to $40k/yr, but rather the offer, if you get it, to how much you could make by switching organizations. If you ask for $40k, it should be because you can justify your worth to the company, not because it's the top of the range.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Something to note, maybe, as justification for why you want to come in at the high end of the range is that you don't want money issues to distract you from the job or cause you to leave. If it's something that they've had trouble keeping filled consistently, then making the case that they're paying a little extra for loyalty and someone who wants to grow with the company might be an attractive tack to take.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
While that makes a lot of rational sense, a lot of managers might react badly to "If I don't get paid enough, Imma gently caress off elsewhere."

I mean yeah, everybody's in it for the paycheck, but in our culture you're not supposed to come out and say it because

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I am in the process of using this thread's advice, so I'll post my experience and update as things move along.

I'm been working for my employer for a little over a year and a half. It's my first job after finishing school, and I moved from a very low COL area to a very, very high COL area. I low-balled myself out of ignorance and inexperience. I'm pretty sure I came in at the bottom of their payscale, because I foolishly told them what my minimum acceptable compensation was, and they offered me over 10% more than that. :downs:

I got my professional certification and a couple annual raises, and I'm now up to $105k (up from $90k when I started).

I have a much better idea of what the typical pay is in my city. I have two coworkers making around 125-135k, one making around the same as me, and the other I'm not sure about. The two making more than me are also certified and have several more years of experience than I do, but in terms of ability and productivity, we are equal--I'm absolutely sure of that. The one making about the same as me is not certified and she has probably 10 more years of experience, but this is a rapidly changing technical profession, and she's been left behind a little. She's not very tech-savvy and she and the other person whose salary I don't know both rely on the three of us who are certified for help.

I feel confident that I'm as valuable as the two who make around $130k, so my expectation for my own compensation is now $130k.

I've started applying to other employers that have equivalent positions, and I got a phone screening from one. They're forwarding my info to the hiring manager and hopefully I'll hear from him soon about coming in for an interview. During the screening, they asked my salary here, and I told them that I wasn't ready to talk about compensation yet (thanks, thread). She asked if I was willing to negotiate, and I said absolutely.

I plan to use the techniques in this thread and try not to say what I want to make unless they press me for it, in which case I'll say I expect 130k based on my qualifications and experience.

I'd like to try to negotiate my salary with my current employer if I get an offer from another employer, because I really do love working where I do now. My supervisor resigned about a month ago and there's no replacement, so I think I need to go directly to my department's director. What would I do, just ask him for a short meeting and go deliver my pitch? I saw some people advising not to mention another offer if I have one, but to keep it in my back pocket and just use it as a confidence booster. If he says no, or doesn't offer enough, do I then tell him about the offer, or do I just say 'thanks for your time' and then take the other job?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Uranium 235 posted:

What would I do, just ask him for a short meeting and go deliver my pitch? I saw some people advising not to mention another offer if I have one, but to keep it in my back pocket and just use it as a confidence booster. If he says no, or doesn't offer enough, do I then tell him about the offer, or do I just say 'thanks for your time' and then take the other job?

You have to be firm within your own tolerances of how much you want to stay weighed vs. how much you want more money. Ask for a meeting to review your compensation, and tell him its important. You should get some time quickly that way. Tell him what you think you're worth and that you'd like to make that much. Start the discussion based on your merit and your work situation. If he balks, and you're ready to take it, bring up the competing offer. Communicate that you'd like to stay but need to do what makes the most financial sense.

Then the ball's out of your court. If they deal you stay, if not, you walk. But if you're about to leave for a better offer you lose absolutely nothing by saying to your present employer that they need to match it or you'll leave.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You have to be firm within your own tolerances of how much you want to stay weighed vs. how much you want more money. Ask for a meeting to review your compensation, and tell him its important. You should get some time quickly that way. Tell him what you think you're worth and that you'd like to make that much. Start the discussion based on your merit and your work situation. If he balks, and you're ready to take it, bring up the competing offer. Communicate that you'd like to stay but need to do what makes the most financial sense.

Then the ball's out of your court. If they deal you stay, if not, you walk. But if you're about to leave for a better offer you lose absolutely nothing by saying to your present employer that they need to match it or you'll leave.
Thanks for the advice. I think that sounds like a good strategy.

I got a call this morning to schedule an interview for next week. Hopefully I get the opportunity to put all of this to use! I'd like to add another negotiation success story to the thread.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Thanks for the advice y'all, they're interviewing the final person today and I'm 99% sure I'll be receiving an offer before the weekend. My interview went great and I've heard from a few people in the panel that they'll most likely being seeing me permanently or are pulling for me, etc.

Hopefully I'll be able to put the advice to good use shortly, or they'll just offer me something higher in the pay scale!

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

A year ago this month I got a position through a staffing agency doing AutoCAD work for an engineering firm. It has since then been a purely contract basis, anywhere from 0 to a full 40 hours a week.

I recently found out that I am roughly 50 hours away from being a free-agent, so to speak. The staffing agency's contract with the engineering firm is up soon, and we will be able to continue our professional relationship without a middle-man.

The facts:
- I've been making $17/hr
- My manager happened to tell me that they pay the staffing agency $34/hr for my time
- Management also told me they pay another independent contractor $34/hr
- They love me there, and have been using me exclusively over the other independent contractor
- I really want to make $34/hr

Should I just straight up ask for $34, given that that is exactly how much they have been paying for my time?

EDIT: Also of note: I really like it there, and the limited (and very flexible) hours will work perfectly with my plans to return to school in the fall. It would be very difficult to find a setup as good as this one, and the pay bump would help reign in the principal balance on any future student loans I have to take out.

Naylenas fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 23, 2014

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I don't think there's any harm in asking for $34 an hour, since you know it would change nothing about their cost structure to pay you that. You might get pressured down if they somehow know how much the staffing firm pays you (they probably won't) But it's a better starting point for negotiations than $17.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Naylenas posted:

The facts:
- Management also told me they pay another independent contractor $34/hr
- They love me there, and have been using me exclusively over the other independent contractor
- I really want to make $34/hr

I'm no negotiation expert, but if you're doing better work than him/her, I suggest asking for more than $34. Start around $38 maybe?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Well, they offered me the position and it was several thousand above what I was expecting, right in my target range so I did not negotiate at all (i know!) because I was very satisfied with the offer, and don't think they would be able to to go up any more for now. I know I'll kick rear end at the position, so I won't be afraid to ask for merit based raises in the near future. Thanks thread!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Iron Lung posted:

Well, they offered me the position and it was several thousand above what I was expecting, right in my target range so I did not negotiate at all (i know!) because I was very satisfied with the offer, and don't think they would be able to to go up any more for now. I know I'll kick rear end at the position, so I won't be afraid to ask for merit based raises in the near future. Thanks thread!

I feel like we didn't do much here but if you're satisfied with what you're getting then congrats. Can I ask where the final offer came out?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I feel like we didn't do much here but if you're satisfied with what you're getting then congrats. Can I ask where the final offer came out?

Yeah but the general advice in the thread was helpful and I felt prepared to negotiate if necessary. I was expecting between 32-35 and they offered me in the high 30's plus benefits, pto, and you can't beat the location at all! Pretty happy about it due to the entry level nature of the job, and all the opportunities it should open up for me.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Iron Lung posted:

Yeah but the general advice in the thread was helpful and I felt prepared to negotiate if necessary. I was expecting between 32-35 and they offered me in the high 30's plus benefits, pto, and you can't beat the location at all! Pretty happy about it due to the entry level nature of the job, and all the opportunities it should open up for me.

That's good to hear. Sounds like it got pretty close to the 'experienced rate you wanted. Good luck!

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Just verbally accepted an offer for significantly more than I was willing to accept, better hours, better benefits, better everything. Even the travel time to work will be better.

Thank you, negotiation thread! :yotj:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

meanieface posted:

Just verbally accepted an offer for significantly more than I was willing to accept, better hours, better benefits, better everything. Even the travel time to work will be better.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

meanieface posted:

:haw::respek::clint:

Getting offers at your target is awesome!

• Locked thread