Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.971talk.com/dana/blog/2014/05/16/steven-crowder-on-demand-audio-5-16-14

Steven Crowder and Dana Loesch freak out about Ben Aflek playing batman, the new batmobile and how batman is proof that we need the 1%ers and is a republican ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I always wanted to find out what the deal with curry is :911:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

anonumos posted:

Now, now. Rethink this a little will you. Do you really want us back?

Yeah. You can't just take NE & west coast. You'd have to take back the south which means Arizona, Texas, and Florida.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So, I was thinking, as amusing as the Idaho debate was, it's exactly the kind of thing that makes me fearful of the future. The governor realized that the only way he could be seen as reasonable is if he was next to people who were openly batshit crazy. The problem though is that everyone on that stage probably agrees 99% with each other (that 1% being that one dude who supported gay marriage) and by having these people who are visibly insane, you help legitimate people who are just as insane but better at hiding it.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah. You can't just take NE & west coast. You'd have to take back the south which means Arizona, Texas, and Florida.

No, no, the British would just take back the original colonies. The South would go to its rightful owners, Mexico :getin:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Southwest isn't the South :ssh:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Traveller posted:

No, no, the British would just take back the original colonies. The South would go to its rightful owners, Mexico :getin:

Do the French get Louisiana back?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Star Man posted:

It might as well be with how horrible it is, except New Mexico for some reason.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Star Man posted:

You're all Yankees to me from the southern half of the world.

Chantilly Say posted:

Do the French get Louisiana back?

Maybe? I heard they had good food.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
*Seattle slowly backs away over the Canadian border*

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sweet Jesus i hadn't even thought of THAT.

Retreat! Back to the boats!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Star Man posted:

Yea the fact that we have politicians who run on openly despising Mexicans is very different than the fact that the 'proper south' has politicians that run on openly despising blacks. Get it right assholes.

(We're one in the same)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Obama's last act in office better be to finally honor all those secession petitions from states that couldn't handle a black president.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

http://www.971talk.com/dana/blog/2014/05/16/steven-crowder-on-demand-audio-5-16-14

Steven Crowder and Dana Loesch freak out about Ben Aflek playing batman, the new batmobile and how batman is proof that we need the 1%ers and is a republican ideal

Batman is an ultra rich dude that could feasibly spend that money helping the poor but instead squanders it on paramilitary equipment used to beat the living poo poo out of those poor people. Of course he's the Republican ideal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sleepingbuddha posted:

Batman is an ultra rich dude that could feasibly spend that money helping the poor but instead squanders it on paramilitary equipment used to beat the living poo poo out of those poor people. Of course he's the Republican ideal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1PMVvfjDM

(first 40 seconds)

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

So, I was thinking, as amusing as the Idaho debate was, it's exactly the kind of thing that makes me fearful of the future. The governor realized that the only way he could be seen as reasonable is if he was next to people who were openly batshit crazy. The problem though is that everyone on that stage probably agrees 99% with each other (that 1% being that one dude who supported gay marriage) and by having these people who are visibly insane, you help legitimate people who are just as insane but better at hiding it.

We have shows on the "History" and "Learning" channels about conspiracy theories, bigfoot hunters, ghost hunters, psychics, etc, and countless "reality" shows celebrating redneck dumbshits. The legitimacy of brainless know-nothings has been established for awhile now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

beatlegs posted:

We have shows on the "History" and "Learning" channels about conspiracy theories, bigfoot hunters, ghost hunters, psychics, etc, and countless "reality" shows celebrating redneck dumbshits. The legitimacy of brainless know-nothings has been established for awhile now.

TLC actually dropped "learning" from their name 16 years ago, which goes to show they're at least honest.

Incidentally it's a great example of the shittiness of privatization, its first 8 years was as a NASA/DHEW jointly run straight up education channel, and then got privatized and started bleeding off the learning parts.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/378172/harrys-dirty-amendment-charles-c-w-cooke

"National Review" posted:

Reid’s coadjutors are typically zealous in their accord. Their slogan, “money isn’t speech,” is popular among the sort of people who like slogans and who believe that chanting is a vital part of any serious political movement, and it is no doubt entrancing to the class of voter whose civic acuity is sufficiently stunted to make casting a ballot for Harry Reid seem like a reasonable way of spending a Tuesday. But, beyond brevity, it has little to recommend it. Money, after all, is merely a tool that permits other activities. In what other circumstance, pray, do we draw such a harsh distinction between the cash itself and the purposes for which it is spent? To borrow a line from Eugene Volokh, were the federal government to ban spending on abortion tomorrow, would the assembled champions of Planned Parenthood shrug their blood-soaked shoulders and lament, “oh well, I suppose that money isn’t abortion”? Likewise, if an Occupier were legally restricted from spending his money on a May Day protest sign, would we expect him to throw up his hands and to concede that it was only his bank account that was being controlled? (“Mic check: Money isn’t paper!”) Hardly. The material point here, as Volokh concludes, is that “restricting the use of money to speak . . . interferes with people’s ability to speak.”
Thoughts?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Except the money for an abortion and the money for a protest sign pale in comparison to the fuckloads of cash spent by handfuls of people on elections or swaying the public debate.

edit: i don't even like that direction of discussion anyways, since you can find whatever weaseling you want to try and lend credence to the idea of money = speech. When most people don't have the money, it's not satisfactory to equate money to free speech and anyone who thinks otherwise is just a straight up twat.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The most important part of the Citizens United ruling was the recognition that media companies had been getting away with effectively violating campaign finance regulations since forever, since they need not pay themselves to publish things that blatantly contributed to certain parties and candidates.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm good friends with people in Austin that were at ACTV when he was there in the 90's and Jones certainly believes a few of the things he's into, like the stuff about Bohemian Grove

For a hilarious account of Jones' infiltration of the Bohemian Grove, check out Jon Ronson's Them: Adventures with Extremists. While most of the people in the book come across as just sort of pitiful (the wannabe-Islamic extremist), or decent enough people with some very odd beliefs (like Randy Weaver's family), Alex Jones comes off as an oaf and a lummox who is incapable of controlling his volume even in private.

Spoiled on the off chance anyone doesn't want it spoiled: While Alex comes up with an elaborate plan to get into the Grove and goes rolling and ducking through the woods like an 8 year old playing sojer, Ronson manages to infiltrate it just by walking through the gate and acting like he belongs there

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the fact that we have politicians who run on openly despising Mexicans is very different than the fact that the 'proper south' has politicians that run on openly despising blacks. Get it right assholes.

Nah we got that poo poo in the south too. Hating blacks is just an unspoken assumption.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/20/justice/north-carolina-justice-immigration/index.html

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Traveller posted:

Noted Mexican colony South Carolina.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There are still over 500 federally recognized tribes if we're gonna do this. :colbert:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tatum Girlparts posted:

(We're one in the same)

One's because of attitudes over immigration and the other is just good old Southern tradition. I know we're all being facetious, you all know better.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

sleepingbuddha posted:

Batman is against killing people though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr Interweb posted:

Batman is against killing people though.

Which works out great when you have the Joker who won't stop killing people. I remember being a bit confused and outraged as a kid watching the Saturday morning cartoon Batman where the Joker's schemes involved using laughing gas that made people laugh until they die. So the Joker would launch loving gas attacks on Gotham and all he gets is locked away in the super special minimum security prison for people Batman beats up.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

For a hilarious account of Jones' infiltration of the Bohemian Grove, check out Jon Ronson's Them: Adventures with Extremists. While most of the people in the book come across as just sort of pitiful (the wannabe-Islamic extremist), or decent enough people with some very odd beliefs (like Randy Weaver's family), Alex Jones comes off as an oaf and a lummox who is incapable of controlling his volume even in private.

Spoiled on the off chance anyone doesn't want it spoiled: While Alex comes up with an elaborate plan to get into the Grove and goes rolling and ducking through the woods like an 8 year old playing sojer, Ronson manages to infiltrate it just by walking through the gate and acting like he belongs there

Jones may believe that there are evil ______ in charge of the world, but the methods he uses to fight them are all designed to give him as much attention as possible and that's about it. He is just a Christian version of Beck and they're both essentially less fire and brimstone versions of the old televangelists.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm pretty sure he actually believes all the insanity he spouts. I used to listen to him a lot on AM radio and, 10 years ago, he wasn't anywhere near as bad as he is now. As he got more famous he also got crazier. Ten years ago he actually did a lot of comedy segments that were genuinely funny. He would also criticize conservatives if they did things he didn't agree with (he spent weeks bitching about how terrible the PATRIOT Act was) and was perfectly willing to dig at Bush from time to time.

http://thinkprogress.org/media/2008/02/19/19660/beck-pelosi-kill-americans/

Glenn Beck posted:

Now, after 9/11, you remember we came up with all kinds of new — aggressive, new laws to combat a new kind of enemy. One of them was the Patriot Act. Another one was the Protection — Protest America Act. This was an extension of our eavesdropping. It helped our government listen in and find terrorists.

Well, over the weekend, the House failed to pass this Bill, which would have prevented the Protect America Act from lapsing, an extension requested by the president. It`s got a six-month sunset over and over again. He feels — and I happen to agree with him — that this congressional game-playing by Nancy Pelosi will end up killing Americans.

Now, what could be even more terrifying than that fact is that congress may be acting with reelection in mind and not your safety. Critics are saying now that the House caved to special interest groups, mostly trial lawyers who want their rights to sue these big, huge phone companies that release sensitive information to the government.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Obama is an evil monarch a veritable super Stalin; Obama is hopeless to protect us against terrorists that want to decapitate us because Congress won't let him.

Got it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Reid is basically saying "let's try to keep money out of politics," which is an old Republican chant. So now that Democrats are addressing it, it's automatically bad. I can't get over how hilariously verbose and hamfisted that dipshit National Review author is, though. It's like he gets more points every time he visits a thesaurus.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Hazo posted:

Reid is basically saying "let's try to keep money out of politics," which is an old Republican chant. So now that Democrats are addressing it, it's automatically bad. I can't get over how hilariously verbose and hamfisted that dipshit National Review author is, though. It's like he gets more points every time he visits a thesaurus.

quote:

But, beyond brevity, it has little to recommend it. Money, after all, is merely a tool that permits other activities.

Well beyond brevity, my friend.

And bonus points for attacking teachers unions.

quote:

Thus do we see teachers’ unions astutely acting to protect their jobs and their benefits while supporters run around, butter in mouth, shouting about “the children.”

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

anonumos posted:

He was talking about the land. I think you'll find there's tried and true methods of depopulating North America.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

sleepingbuddha posted:

You're forgetting that he also beats up mentally ill people a lot too.

Joker is just a guy with schizophrenia. Riddler is just a severe OCD guy. Mr. Freeze is a guy with a medical condition and severe depression. Batman's been beating them up and feeding into their delusions all along.

Actually it makes you wonder if the problem isn't just Batman but more how lovely a facility Arkham is.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

anonumos posted:

(Shut up! SHUT UP! This is the only way we'll get decent healthcare!)

quote:

Sweet Jesus i hadn't even thought of THAT.

Retreat! Back to the boats!

:smith:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

joeburz posted:

Except the money for an abortion and the money for a protest sign pale in comparison to the fuckloads of cash spent by handfuls of people on elections or swaying the public debate.

edit: i don't even like that direction of discussion anyways, since you can find whatever weaseling you want to try and lend credence to the idea of money = speech. When most people don't have the money, it's not satisfactory to equate money to free speech and anyone who thinks otherwise is just a straight up twat.

I kind of feel like the 'money = speech' ruling will eventually lead to a clever lawyer or judge setting precedent with 'okay, therefore, we need to fairly redistribute an equal amount of 'speech' to everyone' which will cause much head-explosioning.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Spacedad posted:

Actually it makes you wonder if the problem isn't just Batman but more how lovely a facility Arkham is.

Little of column A, little of column B. If you look into deep enough, it's likely that Arkham is a privately funded prison managed by a subsidiary of Wayne Enterprises. Whenever Batman gets bored he has a criminal released so he can go beat them up. If he's having a bad week at the office, gently caress it, let's have a full prison break.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

anonumos posted:

Quiet you fool! EU membership is finally within our grasp!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Spacedad posted:

I kind of feel like the 'money = speech' ruling will eventually lead to a clever lawyer or judge setting precedent with 'okay, therefore, we need to fairly redistribute an equal amount of 'speech' to everyone' which will cause much head-explosioning.

Holy poo poo I hope this happens the tears will rival the Republican down pour of 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

some loving LIAR posted:

Quiet you fool! EU membership is finally within our grasp!

Technically the only thing they'd be able to "take back" would be the descendents of the people they lost. The land, on the other hand, should be returned to the descendents of the Natives. Probably to registered Tribal members.

Edit: I guess the descendents of black slaves could work something out with the Native Americans.