Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Gag Reflex posted:

Happy birthday to me

Digital_Jesus posted:

I bought a thing today.

I love this time of year

clutchpuck posted:

Extra bonus: both Ducatis made it about 120 miles without trouble!

How long was the ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yes, they make those noises

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat good scores on both bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's very classy of DigitalJesus to avoid mentioning that that's a $23,000 motorcycle and there are probably less than 100 of them in all of the USA :v:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Congrats on the RC8. That's pretty sick. Something like that I'm more than positive I'll never be able to drive in my lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMBar3SO6tI

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 13, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

It's very classy of DigitalJesus to avoid mentioning that that's a $23,000 motorcycle and there are probably less than 100 of them in all of the USA :v:

Way to blow the cover pshhhh. I didn't know they were that rare, there's 1 at each of the KTM dealers near me (all two of them).

And since I haven't posted any pics yet:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Oh pish it wasn't that expensive. (It has neither chrome nor runs on Freedom[tm])

It's a hell of a fun ride though. I can't wait til I'm done with the break in period.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 13, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think modern break in periods are just an engineer's sick joke.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

More like a corporate lawyer's sick joke, so that when someone blows up the engine redlining it without oil straight out of the crate they can't sue.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Oh, nice RC8. Seen one of those in person and they're even more spaceshippy in person than pictures. Sound good too.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Digital_Jesus posted:

So uh..

I bought a thing today.

My boner hurts
just hurts

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Digital j, why the RC8R and not an EBR RX? I must know.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

Digital j, why the RC8R and not an EBR RX? I must know.

(Can't get a toaster to make you EBR toast, can you? :smug:)

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 13, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Digital_Jesus posted:

So uh..

I bought a thing today.

I would yardsale that thing so spectacularly as my ambition outweighed my talent.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm confused about the fish

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm confused about the fish

I...I...did not notice the fish the first time around.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

yardsale

I've only heard this for snow sports, but now that I think about it, it fits bikes real well too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think it would scare the poo poo out of me like any 2014 supersport, and I would rarely ride it over 30mph, never lean that much. But I would feel SO loving COOL riding it that I wouldn't even give a poo poo.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

Really? They're 14k new here in GA

http://www.mmsmarietta.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=06026422X5K12K2014J11I46I28JPMQ1466R0&veh=337081&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2013

wrong model?

RE: That x-bow vs rc8r video. omg that thing is a death missile. so cool

Razzled fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 13, 2014

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I had no idea that there were so few in the US, the KTM dealer near me has one and I've probably sat on it two dozen times. It's achingly good looking.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat that RC8R is cool as hell. I've sat on one at My KTM Dealer a few times too, and I really would love to have one, despite the fact that I should get something more practical really.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

captainOrbital posted:

drat that RC8R is cool as hell. I've sat on one at My KTM Dealer a few times too, and I really would love to have one, despite the fact that I should get something more practical really.

"Practical" is not something you factor into it. Just go buy it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Agreed, get it and throw on some cases - boom you got a Daily rider.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Still only 50 miles on it now. I remember how hard it was to learn to ride a sport bike when I got my R6. Now I feel like I am relearning slow speed stuff again on the FZ1.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Wow that's nice in white. Like it a lot... congrats on the bike. Absolutely still loving mine! You'll be happy with it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
When did Yamaha update the FZ1? I remember the model looking pretty haggard and old last time I checked. Looks pretty good now.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

When did Yamaha update the FZ1? I remember the model looking pretty haggard and old last time I checked. Looks pretty good now.

2006. 8 years ago.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

2006 was the introduction of the 2nd gen. Still on that same gen now.

efb: whelp

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I guess I've only ever paid attention Gen1s then, hahaha. At least I get internet under this rock.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Thanks, everyone. It is exceeding all my expectations. It was the white that really sold it for me. I have to figure out where I can put some tasteful Cobra decals.

I can't wait for the engine break in period to be over. I want to goose it!

They offered me an extended 5 year warranty for around $800. It seemed expensive to me considering how little could go wrong. (No ABS, traction control, etc) It does have that exhaust valve thing. Hmmm...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Gonna play devil's advocate on Yamaha's extended warranties: I thought the vstar would be dependable so I passed on the warranty. It shat its drive pulley bearing at 2 years / 17,000 miles. Not much to go wrong on that one either but that didn't stop it from leaving me stranded in Rexburg, ID and costing $1700 to split the cases and fix.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 16, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
On the other hand that kind of warranty could make sense if it included or at least subsidized maintenance.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

Gonna play devil's advocate on Yamaha's extended warranties: I thought the vstar would be dependable so I passed on the warranty. It shat its drive pulley bearing at 2 years / 17,000 miles. Not much to go wrong on that one either but that didn't stop it from leaving me stranded in Rexburg, ID and costing $1700 to split the cases and fix.

Did you hear that it was happening to others as well or did you just get a poo poo roll of the dice?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
poo poo roll of the dice I think. The Yamaha USA rep I called and talked to about said they'd never heard of that happening before. The dealership that fixed it said they'd never dug that deep into a Vstar before.

I'm pretty sure I heard the beginnings of the bad bearing too - a "pop" I could feel through the saddle when I rolled it around the garage - a year before it really let go, and the two places I took it to (including the place I bought it from) said they heard nothing "just ride it". Frustrating.

I used to really like Yamaha motorcycles but since then there's been a bit of a black cloud over the brand in my mind.

Crayvex: you can shop warranties as long as your bike is still in its basic 1yr period. Might be worth calling up some dealers that specialize in discounted Y.E.S. I bet you could get 5 years for half what your dealer quoted you if you looked around.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 16, 2014

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get the extended warranty. It's the same price as adding Givi hard bags which I am now reconsidering. It looks so drat good as it is.

The dealership tried to sell me a maintenance plan:

Dealer: It is 35% cheaper than our normal maintenance prices blah blah blah

Me: Really? Can I use your calculator?

Dealer: Uh.. Okay

Me: How much is an oil change? What about spark plug replacement? I want to check this out! If it's cheaper I'm all about this!

Dealer: Um... it varies...

Me: So how do you know it's 35% cheaper? Have you REALLY done the math?

Dealer: You probably don't want to buy this service plan...

That's exactly how the discussion ended. I've always done all my own maintenance. (1986 Kawasaki LTD, 1989 Kawasaki Police 1000, 1979 Honda CB750K, 2002 Yamaha R6) I was sort of hoping it was a good deal. I bought a new bike to spend less time wrenching and more time riding. This bike looks super easy to maintain. It has a god drat easy to use center stand! There's no lower fairings, so I won't spend 30 minutes putzing with the plastics to just get to the oil filter and drain bolt. I do hope the plugs are easier to get to then on the R6. It seemed like I had to disassemble half the bike to get to them.

With that said, the first oil change will definitely be done at the dealer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

clutchpuck posted:

I'm pretty sure I heard the beginnings of the bad bearing too - a "pop" I could feel through the saddle when I rolled it around the garage - a year before it really let go, and the two places I took it to (including the place I bought it from) said they heard nothing "just ride it". Frustrating.
Don't be too paranoid. If a bearing is so bad that you can feel it from the saddle at a slow speed like rolling it in the garage, it's BAD and you should be able to replicate it without a ton of difficulty.

I think it's more likely you just picked something up in the tire and it popped out or something if it doesn't come back.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I wouldn't worry too much about poo poo breaking, the Genesis motor has been around since 1985 and is probably one of the most rock-solid bike engines out there, there's very little that goes wrong on them as long as you keep up on maintenance.

There's lots of guys who tour on them have have well over 100k miles on them with no issues. None of the parts on the bike are 'the best' but there's nowhere they really went cheap on anything either, and from reading various forums on the 'net, there've never been any mentions of any common or notable failures on either gen of FZ1.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The FZ-1 has an R1 engine, though? I don't know of any bike prior to the R1 that had a stacked gearbox like that. Not to imply it's somehow less reliable or whatever, but AFAIK it most certainly isn't the genesis engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

slidebite posted:

Don't be too paranoid. If a bearing is so bad that you can feel it from the saddle at a slow speed like rolling it in the garage, it's BAD and you should be able to replicate it without a ton of difficulty.

I think it's more likely you just picked something up in the tire and it popped out or something if it doesn't come back.

I try not to be... I mean I replaced it with a Buell. But I narrowed it down to the pulley whose bearing exploded.