Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you just broke right now, or what? I'm legitimately curious. I don't mean to be a dick but I just don't understand why you'd do that. :psyduck:

Power to ya I guess.

Nah, I have a game pad, I just don't like the way the game plays with it. I know, that's sacrilege and I'm a bad person, etc. I've tried it, I just can't stand controlling the camera with a stick in 3D games, it feels too clunky. I did all of DS1 with M+KB and the same in DS2. Outside of the little annoyances like the targeting flicking to other random things, it works perfectly fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Not that I use KB+M for this, but don't you need an AHK script to fix issues with basic mouse clicking? That really doesn't signal well.
The KBaM controls have two problems:
The input from the mouse buttons has a delay. Pressing the keyboard attack keys has your character respond immediatly, while attacking via the mouse buttons has your character wait fraction of a second before starting the attack animation. This isn't a universal issue though: On my system I don't have this delay.
The second problem is that in the controls you can assign actions to not only left and right click, but also to double-clicking, holding shift + clicking, etc. And if you assign "nothing" to for example double-click, the game will literally interpret this as you wanting to do nothing when it registers a double-click. So if you mash the mouse button because you panic or just want to chain a lot of attacks, your character will just stand there.

A simple autohotkey script that binds the mouse buttons to the keyboard attack keys fixes both issues.
To be fair: This is still a huge improvement over DaS1. Without an AHK script, the KBaM controls are at least playable. Which is more then can be said of DaS1. Without DSFix DaS1 didn't even capture the mouse.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I went through almost the entire game and only got invaded once in the gutter. Then I hit Undead Crypt and it's more active than the goddamn belfries.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I finally got invaded by an arbiter spirit! :monocle:

He was wearing full jester's set and dual katannas. I threw one lightning bolt at him and he rolled off a cliff dodging it :geno:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Finally got far enough to get my Velstadt character properly suited up. The (Dark) Sacred Chime Hammer is a surprisingly good weapon, I wasn't prepared for who fast the two-hand R1 attacks are. And its special move is pretty effective, at least against the players and bosses I've used it on (which admittedly aren't that many).

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

He was wearing full jester's set and dual katannas. I threw one lightning bolt at him and he rolled off a cliff dodging it :geno:

I once started a Sentinel arena duel on a bridge map, we bow, he takes out a throwing knife and throws it at me... I dodge left, into the chasm :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Internet Kraken posted:

I got invaded by an arbiter spirit earlier too! He wanted to drag me into the Old Knight arena, but I wasn't having it. He came at me, two-handing a resonant (or dark) washing pole.

As usual, he could not take it to powerstanced blue flames.

E: Dual-wielding is not at all what he was doing.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 17, 2014

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Funny, probably half of my sentinel duels in the first arena end with my opponent just rolling off into the deathpit. We're a depressed people.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Blue sentinels are crippled by social anxiety due to never being invited to other peoples worlds.

Leading to much suicide and depression.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Once, In bellfry Iuna I took the gap in the 2nd floor to dodge some spell. Got turned around and instead of sprinting to the stairs I sprinted out the door to the entrance bridge and turned to 'go up the stairs' and rocketed off the edge. My bellbro must have been thrilled

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've been summoned to Sunbro Dear Duke four times now and the host has been trampled within seconds of the fight starting each time.

Edit: But then I beat him for my attempt and got to kick his head around like a soccer ball :unsmith:

Sauer fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 17, 2014

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

david... posted:

Blue sentinels are crippled by social anxiety due to never being invited to other peoples worlds.

Leading to much suicide and depression.

I've been summoned 3 times as a blue cop in all my play time. Twice it failed, either network hiccups or the host just died too quickly. The one that worked, I had just enough time to spawn in and see the red spirit roll off a cliff. Great covenant!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So apparently if you invade someone at the lower brightstone cove bonfire, it will spawn you right in the bonfire room. Every single time.

Makes for some amusing host reactions.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Blue Sentinels actually do own. I posted this a couple thousand pages back with how fast this thread moves, but at 5m SM I get consistent invasions with blue orbs.

I've never had the ring work once, cool mechanic but not the one I care about when I have orbs as well.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

NuckmasterJ posted:

Question: I really want the bonus spell cast speed ring from the Skeleton Lords +1 so I burned a Bonfire Ascetic.

My question is how does summoning work in +1 area's when your still a really low SM? I'm only at lvl 60 as a Hexer and the boss is ridiculous. I'm getting my rear end handed to me without help. I had one guy finally show up and I he dropped a boss without dealing with the add's. Once we had the pinwheel guys moving around we were dead in seconds.

Am I pretty much screwed here and have to wait along time to get the ring?

I'm a bit late on this, sorry. Summoning is based exclusively on SM from what I can tell, it doesn't seem to matter if the other person is in NG+ or not. I summoned plenty of clueless <300k SM pubbies into that boss fight. Watching them Leroy up the middle of the room and try to three-swing the NG+ lords was hilarious every time. The easy way to handle that fight at low SM after upgrading the boss to NG+ is to toss alluring skulls to keep the adds busy, holy water wrecks those guys too.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah burning an ascetic has no effect on who you can or can't summon, which is why burning a ton of ascetics in the rat covenant areas is hilarious, NG people brought in to your NG++++++ hellhole.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

zfleeman posted:

I just ran through Drangleic. I'm a jumpy-dodgy dex guy. Is there some better armor I should have by now other than the thief's set?

I've always liked the Black Leather set, although I don't really like the way the mask looks in this one so I swapped it out for a Desert Sorceress hood and was pretty happy with my character's look. To be honest I feel like there really aren't a whole lot of armor sets that feel appropriate to a dodgy thief-type dex character in this game; there's a couple of starter sets that fit, maybe one or two enemy drops like the Rogue set, Black Leather, and then in NG+ you can farm a pair of adds that spawn alongside the Flexile Sentry for some ninja-looking stuff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

I got invaded by an arbiter spirit earlier too! He wanted to drag me into the Old Knight arena, but I wasn't having it. He came at me, two-handing a resonant (or dark) washing pole.

As usual, he could not take it to powerstanced blue flames.

E: Dual-wielding is not at all what he was doing.

How do powerstanced blue flames work anyway? Can you only cast spells with the primary one?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cowcaster posted:

How do powerstanced blue flames work anyway? Can you only cast spells with the primary one?

Yeah, you can only cast spells with the right sword. That's not a big deal, though, you can turn off powerstance to buff your weapons, then turn it back on.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Powerstancing Blue Flames should let you cast two spells at once with L2.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Would an enchanted crescent axe be a good physical damage source for my hexer?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

enchanted is terrible just infuse with dark

e: There is no situation where an enchanted weapon will deal more damage than a dark as a hexer. If you want pure physical, don't bother infusing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Would an enchanted crescent axe be a good physical damage source for my hexer?

Enchanted is bad no matter what. Even with 50 Int you'll find Raw or uninfused end up being better.

No matter what the damage on the Crescent Axe ends up being fairly poor, but it's still a fun weapon due to its very unique moveset. Not good for a source of physical damage but not a bad choice for buffing with CMW.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Are there any differences between NG+ and NG++ or NG++ and NG+++?
Or does it stop at NG > NG+ for new enemy placement?
I kinda want to see chests replaced by mimics.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Raygereio posted:

The KBaM controls have two problems:
The input from the mouse buttons has a delay. Pressing the keyboard attack keys has your character respond immediatly, while attacking via the mouse buttons has your character wait fraction of a second before starting the attack animation. This isn't a universal issue though: On my system I don't have this delay.
The second problem is that in the controls you can assign actions to not only left and right click, but also to double-clicking, holding shift + clicking, etc. And if you assign "nothing" to for example double-click, the game will literally interpret this as you wanting to do nothing when it registers a double-click. So if you mash the mouse button because you panic or just want to chain a lot of attacks, your character will just stand there.

A simple autohotkey script that binds the mouse buttons to the keyboard attack keys fixes both issues.
To be fair: This is still a huge improvement over DaS1. Without an AHK script, the KBaM controls are at least playable. Which is more then can be said of DaS1. Without DSFix DaS1 didn't even capture the mouse.

If you assign mouse 4/5 (and/or higher, if you have more) to keystroke assignments (I use mouse 4 = left ctrl, and mouse 5 = W+left ctrl, for normal right attack and guard break), they don't have delayed input. You can set them up for easy and instant leap attack, easy and instant guard break, or anything else. It bypasses the issue of left mouse and right mouse keys having delayed input.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 17, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are there any differences between NG+ and NG++ or NG++ and NG+++?
Or does it stop at NG > NG+ for new enemy placement?
I kinda want to see chests replaced by mimics.

Enemies continue to get more HP and do more damage up to NG7+. Some merchant inventory changes in NG++ to allow you to buy some spells you could only get otherwise from spending days grinding covenants.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

So apparently if you invade someone at the lower brightstone cove bonfire, it will spawn you right in the bonfire room. Every single time.

Makes for some amusing host reactions.

I did a number of times and yeah it's pretty funny. Although if you're a sorcerer or other build that needs to apply buffs it will often dump you into a bad situation.

My favorite spot is just past that bonfire. If you just past the room with the single hollow mage and spider and stand on that sand mount with the skeleton your invasion spot will usually be the "spider chapel" right before the web chamber.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ComaPrison posted:

If you assign mouse 4/5 (and/or higher, if you have more) to keystroke assignments, they don't have delayed input. You can set them up for easy and instant leap attack, easy and instant guard break, or anything else. It bypasses the issue of left mouse and right mouse keys having delayed input.

There's a couple of ways around it. My mouse lets me do game specific profiles so when dark souls 2 is the active window it automatically swaps all the buttons to keyboard commands.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Cowcaster posted:

There's a couple of ways around it. My mouse lets me do game specific profiles so when dark souls 2 is the active window it automatically swaps all the buttons to keyboard commands.

Yeah, mine has a similar function. Using Logitech setpoint software for my THUMB TRACK BALL mouse. I poo poo you not. I am using a thumb-controlled track ball for DS2 lol (with a reasonably solid PvP K:D ratio of approximately 70:20). If it weren't for the fact that I've been using a track ball for FPS/DS1/other games for yeaaars, it'd be a lot like trying to play baseball with a toothpick. In fact, it'd probably be precisely like that for anyone who has to try playing DS2 like this for the first time. REAL DS2 HARD MODE LOL

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 17, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Genocyber posted:

Enchanted is bad no matter what. Even with 50 Int you'll find Raw or uninfused end up being better.

No matter what the damage on the Crescent Axe ends up being fairly poor, but it's still a fun weapon due to its very unique moveset. Not good for a source of physical damage but not a bad choice for buffing with CMW.

I really wanted to Crescent Axe to be cool. I made an entire build around it, but it was really uninspiring.

(Also, Enchanted is surprisingly nice on dagger class weapons.)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Killing a minimum of enemies but still doing the 4 lords got me to the end of the game with about 650k SM.
The majority of the enemies I did kill were in the 4 lords areas, so if you use the winter shrine skip I expect it would be less than half of that value.
In case anyone was curious. :shrug:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Man I get that having to summon the NPCs for their quests forces you to actually bro up with them and everything but it's really dumb that they have to survive the fight. Benhart died to the one giant boss right as I fired the killing lightning spear. I thought I'd be able to save him. :(

Now I have to murder him in cold blood, I guess.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

BlackFrost posted:

Man I get that having to summon the NPCs for their quests forces you to actually bro up with them and everything but it's really dumb that they have to survive the fight. Benhart died to the one giant boss right as I fired the killing lightning spear. I thought I'd be able to save him. :(

Now I have to murder him in cold blood, I guess.

Do you actually need any of his gear? Probably not. Let him chill out!

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

turtlecrunch posted:

Killing a minimum of enemies but still doing the 4 lords got me to the end of the game with about 650k SM.
The majority of the enemies I did kill were in the 4 lords areas, so if you use the winter shrine skip I expect it would be less than half of that value.
In case anyone was curious. :shrug:

I don't know if this applies to you, but I think you guys who are freaking the hell out about the SM issue should chill out. If anything, I consider the SM system to contribute to variety. It allows me to go for a two-way (or even three-way) hybrid build without missing out on co-op and pvp. At the same time, it also gives me the flexibility to respec to pure melee or pure caster if I should feel the desire to do so at some point (I was pure melee at first, then specced to hybrid, then specced to pure caster, now specced back to hybrid). If we were back with the SL system of DS1, I'd be more inclined to stick with pure melee or pure caster, just to make sure I have enough points to optimize the build.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Just finished the Dragon Shrine, fuuuuck that place. First area of the game that started to cross the line from challenging-hard to frustrating-hard for me. I ended up abusing enemy leashing and Lightning Spears to cheese a couple of the forced double-pulls and I don't even feel bad. I'm playing shieldless, so maybe it's harder for me than it should be, but still.

The hammer guys everyone complains about were definitely the worst, but it's not their relentless attacking that gets me, it's the poise damage. I'm wearing decent poise armor and getting tagged by the first hit of his combo stuns me long enough that I can't roll out of the second hit, and the two combined hits do something like 90% of my 1500+ health, so after a few deaths it becomes effectively instakill. With enough practice I'm sure I could learn to dodge all his patterns, but the penalty for missing just one dodge is so harsh.

I'm having a ton of fun with the game overall though, it feels good to be playing Dark Souls again. I'm playing a well-balanced build for my first run, ~20 in most stats except 5 in Int and 30 in Faith. I'm loving the Murakumo as my main weapon, even without making use of the Dex scaling it has great damage and a fantastic moveset. I just recently infused it with Lightning and spiced down Sunlight Blade for even more fun. That and the Halberd have been my favorite sort of mid-weight, don't-require-huge-stat-investment weapons, are there any others I should give a try? I played around with the Claymore for a while as well, and I'm looking forward to the Grand Lance, though it seems to come so late in the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone explain to me how a longsword is better able to stagger me and break my poise in one hit than a greatsword, twinblade, or spear. And how I can stagger someone else, their animation has them reel back, then I take damage and die anyway. That's not lag.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 17, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ComaPrison posted:

I don't know if this applies to you, but I think you guys who are freaking the hell out about the SM issue should chill out. If anything, I consider the SM system to contribute to variety. It allows me to go for a two-way (or even three-way) hybrid build without missing out on co-op and pvp. At the same time, it also gives me the flexibility to respec to pure melee or pure caster if I should feel the desire to do so at some point (I was pure melee at first, then specced to hybrid, then specced to pure caster, now specced back to hybrid). If we were back with the SL system of DS1, I'd be more inclined to stick with pure melee or pure caster, just to make sure I have enough points to optimize the build.

Are you serious? SM does nothing but ruin any sort of high level PVP, because the majority of players will continue to level and have builds that can do anything, bringing actual variety to nil.

You could totally have a two- or three-way hybrid in Dark Souls, and they were plenty viable (Dex/Fth-or-Int were even the most common because of how good they could be), but you had to sacrifice some Vit or End in order to remain at 120.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone explain to me how a longsword is better able to stagger me and break my poise in one hit than a greatsword, twinblade, or spear. And how I can stagger someone else, their animation has them reel back, then I take damage and die anyway. That's not lag.

They might be wearing the ring that does extra poise damage? But more importantly, poise in Dark Souls 2 is crap anyway. They also might be wearing a ring of thorns or ring of the sun which deals damage in return when you're hit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

They might be wearing the ring that does extra poise damage? But more importantly, poise in Dark Souls 2 is crap anyway.

Yeah, but I don't think even with that ring it'd stop me from getting a punch off, like I could when smacked in the face with an even bigger slab of iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Genocyber posted:

Are there any other rad weapons that would help my hexer be less useless against stuff that is resistant to magic and such?

Basically I have a dark mace +10, but I rock the xanthous set and I want something more exotic and cool to run around with.