Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trem
Sep 17, 2009
That huntress poo poo in season 1 made me stop watching the show until 5 episodes into season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

zoux posted:

Yeah every physics related question like relativity, infinite mass as you approach light speed, why doesn't he catch on fire from atmospheric friction, why doesn't he shatter his hand when he hits someone at super speed, etc is all explained by Speed Force.

~A wizardSpeed Force did it~

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

WarLocke posted:

~A wizardSpeed Force did it~

Somebody should post Flash.txt and get it over with.

Hell, put that poo poo in the op of the Flash thread right before a 'don't loving bring up the speed force' warning.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I wonder if they'll show how much Barry or Wally or whatever his name is eats, like if he'll be constantly snacking on sandwiches or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Error 404 posted:

Somebody should post Flash.txt and get it over with.

Hell, put that poo poo in the op of the Flash thread right before a 'don't loving bring up the speed force' warning.

I thought that was Ban/Probatable?

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really hoping that we see a random red blur in every episode. Ollie and Team Arrow are in the Arrow CaveQuiver talking and :flashfact:. None of the characters even notice. On the street, in the club, at the burger joint, whatever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't post flash.txt in this thread please. Not because it's verboten or anything, but because it's really dumb.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

UberAaron posted:

I'm really hoping that we see a random red blur in every episode. Ollie and Team Arrow are in the Arrow CaveQuiver talking and :flashfact:. None of the characters even notice. On the street, in the club, at the burger joint, whatever.

At the burger joint Ollie picks up his burger, and then suddenly its gone.

Also calling it the blur brings back horrible Smallville repressed memories.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

UberAaron posted:

On the one hand his would be kind of silly. On the other hand trying to spot the Observer in each episode of Fringe was pretty fun. I'm so conflicted.

JakeLiebenow
Apr 21, 2013
I've got a really weird feeling Lex Luthor is going to show up next season in a really big way, what with Oliver needing to get his company back and metahumans being a thing.

Not that I'm complaining.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah. Not in a million years.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deadpool posted:

Don't post flash.txt in this thread please. Not because it's verboten or anything, but because it's really dumb.

i'd actually like flash.txt posted just because it sounds funny and I have no idea what the Flash universe rules are

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

homo punching bag posted:

i'd actually like flash.txt posted just because it sounds funny and I have no idea what the Flash universe rules are

google "The Motherfucking Flash"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
It's funnier if you imagine Jessie Pinkman from Breaking Bad shouting it at you.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Error 404 posted:

It's funnier if you imagine Jessie Pinkman from Breaking Bad shouting it at you.

I tried, but it kept coming out Jason Mewes in my head. Still worked ok.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

JakeLiebenow posted:

I've got a really weird feeling Lex Luthor is going to show up next season in a really big way, what with Oliver needing to get his company back and metahumans being a thing.

Not that I'm complaining.

Or the new partnership with Wayne Enterprises causes them to send some of their security people to check the network and such, just as a formality.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

wiegieman posted:

Or the new partnership with Wayne Enterprises causes them to send some of their security people to check the network and such, just as a formality.

They've mentioned Kord Industries about 1000 times on this show and Ted at least once, so maybe that'll happen.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In regards to the plot threads for next season, I can't imagine everyone has already forgotten about the ominously dangling threat of H.I.V.

Especially if Waller and Argus is going to be playing a big part in the flashbacks, I can see HIVE being the main threat she's concerned with. And with mini-Dig on the way, I think we'll see more soon about Dig's brother and why exactly he was being targeted.

I don't think it's been said enough that the worldbuilding in this season was just superb, and the best part is that none of it felt particularly forced. They brought the international superspy portion of the DCU in through Dig's storyline, and set up the mystic ninja assassins corner of the globe through Merlyn and Sara, tied the street level ongoings of the city through Roy, Sin, and Thea, and now Felicity is directly involved with Central City; and everything feeds right back to Oliver at the hub.

This is something that took -- oh, let's say -- Agents of SHIELD ages to finally grasp but that Arrow had understood right from the beginning: the stakes have to be personal. All your big booms and threats and lightshows mean nothing if they don't mean anything to your characters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, SHIELD knew that too. Jeph Loeb just thought people cared about Ward. He still does.

Arrow's Geoff is just guilty of not understanding the point of metaphors and symbolism.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, SHIELD knew that too. Jeph Loeb just thought people cared about Ward. He still does.

Arrow's Geoff is just guilty of not understanding the point of metaphors and symbolism.

Is that the same Loeb that ruined Heroes? Fuckin A no wonder I find Agents intolerable.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, Ward became one of the more interesting characters in the show (as slight of an achievement as that is).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Habibi posted:

Is that the same Loeb that ruined Heroes? Fuckin A no wonder I find Agents intolerable.

Behold, he is Jeph Loeb, ruiner of things.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ward is exactly what I'm talking about though, and also Garrett to a lesser extent. Until Ward -- friend, partner, teammate, sometimes lover -- became a threat, the enemies that they faced were just a giant nebulous blob of cryptic bad guys doing bad things, like who cares, y'know? It's no coincidence that the upswing in that show's quality occurred at the, like, precise moment that things actually became personal instead of just oooh Centipede doing bad things, OOOH.

In Arrow the "threat" that Ollie faced right off the bat was a literal list of his own family's failings, eventually given a face and name in...his best friend's father. And in season two the big enemy used to be one of his own closest friends. It's pure saturated comic book storytelling, and even such a comics trope in the first place because it does work so well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

And just like that we are bros again.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I hope this doesn't bring down the wrath of Deadpool, but what comics do you think the Flash team will be drawing inspiration from?

The arrow team really seemed to draw from the 90s incarnation of Oliver Queen, with a pretty strong dash of Longbow Hunters in the early going.

But that time period was basically owned by Wally West, and my only exposure to the character was in a few JLA runs.

My flash knowledge comes almost entirely from the Justice League cartoons, and this summer feels like a good time to drip my toes back into the water.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I hope this doesn't bring down the wrath of Deadpool, but what comics do you think the Flash team will be drawing inspiration from?

The arrow team really seemed to draw from the 90s incarnation of Oliver Queen, with a pretty strong dash of Longbow Hunters in the early going.

But that time period was basically owned by Wally West, and my only exposure to the character was in a few JLA runs.

My flash knowledge comes almost entirely from the Justice League cartoons, and this summer feels like a good time to drip my toes back into the water.

Seems to be a mix of The Flash Rebirth, which was a pseudo-reboot of Flash continuity by Geoff Johns and is where Barry's backstory is drawing from, the 90s TV show for his cooperation with Star Labs crew + the van (I know, not a comic, but your question is generally about the source material), the Wally West era with his powers appearing to cap at just sub-sonic and the uncertainty issues, plus the New 52 where the rogues actually have their powers tied into them (though for reasons that have since been handwaved off in some cases).

At least that's what I can gleam.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I just don't know how they're going to do a proper super hero show. Arrow works imo because he isn't super, and actually fucks up a lot in the process of learning what he wants to be. Also he is secretive and letting people know the Arrow secret was a big part of the excitement for me. Who's he going to tell next???

With Flash it seems like he has a team from day 1 who knows who and what he is, and a costume to boot. I guess it's a good idea they are going in a very different direction than Arrow but it seems like they are starting Flash where Arrow was in season 2, and fast-forwarding(lol) the team building and stuff from S1

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

zoux posted:

Behold, he is Jeph Loeb, ruiner of things.

Hush, the Long Halloween etc.. were so good :argh:

In actual show talk I hope they set up H.I.V as a counter to ARGUS. That could give diggle a lot to use as he is being underutilized worse than Laurel for gods sake. A bunch of tension would arise from allying with Waller against a rival super spy agency as has shown herself to be pretty shady.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

The thing is that the actual "Barry Allen" Flash had been dead in the comics for twenty years, just having come back quite recently. The Flash that you know from the cartoon is Wally West, a better different character. Most of Barry's appearances are in comics that are hella old by now, so in terms of a modern Barry Allen, they've pretty much only got his more recent run to draw on. (Which isn't bad, from what I've seen, if you just skip Flashpoint)

It's basically inevitable that anything Geoff Johns has done with any of the Flash characters -- Barry or Wally -- is going to affect this show very much thematically and narratively.

That being said, this TV version of Barry is very, very different from any version of Barry that I know of in the comics, and this is a good thing, so my hope is actually that they try to carve as much of their own path as they can, just like they did with Ollie on Arrow.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I think it'll all even out, really.

Ollie is already uber self reliant, and strives to actually be good.

Barry has none of the resources, training, or instinct that Ollie's had, so he will definitely gently caress up, and I think it will be interesting how his fuckups will be different. At least different enough that I don't think you can really compare them to each other.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm sure the main baddie for season 1 would be Zoom, no? I mean, some gears would turn in Barry's head where he'd go "hmmm, some guy who can do what I can do killed my parents 10 years ago."

He'll probably be investigating it throughout.

I just hope the police in Central City aren't complete and utter fuckups. it'd be nice to just see a police force trying to cope with things beyond normal human abilities, rather than just being utterly stupid, like in Starling.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 16, 2014

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Ollie's gently caress ups stemmed from being an antisocial amoral badass who let his personal relationships cloud his judgement as those relationships were what were keeping him human in his eyes.

Barry is a naive idealist who has no loving clue what he's doing and no emotional hardening to soften any mistakes

Tons of ways for him to gently caress up and it's going to rule

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Drifter posted:

I'm sure the main baddie for season 1 would be Zoom, no? I mean, some gears would turn in Barry's head where he'd go "hmmm, some guy who can do what I can do killed my parents 10 years ago."

He'll probably be investigating it throughout.

I just hope the police in Central City aren't complete and utter fuckups. it'd be nice to just see a police force trying to cope with things beyond normal human abilities, rather than just being utterly stupid, like in Starling.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zoom was actually saved for much later. Like, shows up when Barry is in full swijg by a second season or whatever. Or that perhaps if he does appear sooner, it doesn't tie back to the death of Barry's mother. Instead, they could build on it, demonstrating a growth to both Zoom's powers and insanity before he decides he'll finally get his revenge by doing the deed.

Though as to that last point...

Bad Moon posted:

Ollie's gently caress ups stemmed from being an antisocial amoral badass who let his personal relationships cloud his judgement as those relationships were what were keeping him human in his eyes.

Barry is a naive idealist who has no loving clue what he's doing and no emotional hardening to soften any mistakes

Tons of ways for him to gently caress up and it's going to rule

Do remember that Barry's a cop, and a forensic scientist at that - dealing with dead bodies is kind of his thing. What I woukd say is that Barry would more have to deal with the fact he has actual responsibilities beyond his self appointed defense of the city. Or even then, have that overlap - since catching criminals was already his job, wouldn't he be way more liable to guilt if he were to screw up and let someone get away, whether as Barry or the Flash, and it then cost someone else? It wouldn't just be failing to perform, but that he did so and that's the entire point of his career. Even worse if he has abilities that should have let him get it done 'in a Flash'.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Astro Nut posted:

Do remember that Barry's a cop, and a forensic scientist at that - dealing with dead bodies is kind of his thing. What I woukd say is that Barry would more have to deal with the fact he has actual responsibilities beyond his self appointed defense of the city. Or even then, have that overlap - since catching criminals was already his job, wouldn't he be way more liable to guilt if he were to screw up and let someone get away, whether as Barry or the Flash, and it then cost someone else? It wouldn't just be failing to perform, but that he did so and that's the entire point of his career. Even worse if he has abilities that should have let him get it done 'in a Flash'.

Well, I would think the Flash persona would be more likely to have people die in front of him, rather than he as an investigator seeing dead people after they were killed, regarding the weird hero worship thing Bad Moon was trying to bring to the table with his comment.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Drifter posted:

Well, I would think the Flash persona would be more likely to have people die in front of him, rather than he as an investigator seeing dead people after they were killed, regarding the weird hero worship thing Bad Moon was trying to bring to the table with his comment.

Aaaaah, now I getcha. Apologies for not realising, since its actually a good point and something worth examining. I mean, you could even have someone outright claim he should just be fine from seeing dead bodies a bunch (as I somewhat shortsightedly did), and then him counter that its not quite the same thing.

Speculation as all hell, but it serves as even more contrast to Ollie. Ollie saw death in front of him, whether by his hands or by others, waaaaay before he got off the island. Barry? Not so much.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
^^^^Exactly. I don't automatically want Flash to have the same tone as Arrow but seeing how each reacts to growing as a hero will be great

Drifter posted:

Yeah, Barry may be a forensic scientist (which isn't the same thing as a cop despite what CSI says) there is a big difference between seeing a corpse at a crime scene after the fact and somebody dying in front of you because you zigged when you should of zagged or god forbid a guy like Slade yelling CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE :black101: then putting a sword through your mom.

Ollie went through 5 years of hell so he's well I don't know if used to it is the phrase but better equipped. Seeing Barry deal with it will be a good contrast between the shows if they do it right.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 17, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

^^^^Exactly. I don't automatically want Flash to have the same tone as Arrow but seeing how each reacts to growing as a hero will be great

Yeah, Barry may be a forensic scientist (which isn't the same thing as a cop despite what CSI says) there is a big difference between seeing a corpse at a crime scene after the fact and somebody dying in front of you because you zigged when you should of zagged or god forbid a guy like Slade yelling CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE :black101: then putting a sword through your mom.

Ollie went through 5 years of hell so he's well I don't know if used to it is the phrase but better equipped. Seeing Barry deal with it will be a good contrast between the shows if they do it right.

And I just realised, this could perfectly set up a line to be referenced from the comics, but also establish how Barry might face the world differently from Ollie.

"Nobody dies."

Airplane jumps optional.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bad Moon posted:

Ollie's not used to it, Ollie is loving traumatized. Dude got a 5-year crash course in being a loving soldier and had to learn how to be human again once he was back in Starling.

Barry is going to be coming at it from the other direction. Ollie was already enough of a cold-hearted bastard to be snapping necks in the pilot, but Barry is this 'oh gee ma'am' naive kid who suddenly has super powers. I anticipate that there's going to be a lot of 'whoo this is AWESOME' early on as he figures out what he can do but when the plot kicks in and suddenly he's having to protect people from the loving weather and whatever else, poo poo is gonna get dark for him. Simply because he doesn't have the same emotional scarring that Ollie has suffered/built up over time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'll be interesting to see things progress in flashback season 4 and 5 as Ollie shuts more and more down becoming a remorseless killer. Contrasting with him becoming more and more of a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Plus, also I don't think Barry will be trying to kill anyone. I don't think he'll need to. His twelve labors will involve protecting, not like Ollie's revenge.

• Locked thread