Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I hope the slow still isn't capped at 50%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Does that mean you'll want minimum duration to make the field grow faster? I mean, it's not like Primed targets live very long anyway.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Male Man posted:

Does that mean you'll want minimum duration to make the field grow faster? I mean, it's not like Primed targets live very long anyway.

I think that it's fixed rate of growth, duration effects the time it grows, so duration actually effects maximum range. Like Zephyr's tail wind that way.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like I'm not understanding melee channeling. When I have the melee weapon equipped, if I click the left mouse button, I see/hear a short effect, but nothing seems to last. I'm using a Dragon Nikana if that matters.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Keept it pressed, if you attack while channeling there will be bonus damage applied to that attack. It'll only cost you energy if you hit something while channeling.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Male Man posted:

It'll prolly work like Oberon's 3. Speed inversely proportional with Duration.
That or it's how Thranguy said.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
So now with the Nova nerf they've nerfed two of the three frames I've dunked time and resources into. If I stay in this game that will leave me with my Nekros. Whee.

I know the Nova will still likely be good. I'm not really into debating the pros and cons of specific nerfs. I just don't like having the frames that I've put time into get smacked with the nerf stick, and I don't like playing with the constant fear that it's going to happen again and again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It was indeed fair for characters to break the entire game with the push of a button and I can't believe they actually bothered to change that. Too bad there's nothing else worth using left in the game either.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

hooah posted:

I feel like I'm not understanding melee channeling. When I have the melee weapon equipped, if I click the left mouse button, I see/hear a short effect, but nothing seems to last. I'm using a Dragon Nikana if that matters.

You have to hold left mouse to channel.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lonjon posted:

So now with the Nova nerf they've nerfed two of the three frames I've dunked time and resources into. If I stay in this game that will leave me with my Nekros. Whee.

I know the Nova will still likely be good. I'm not really into debating the pros and cons of specific nerfs. I just don't like having the frames that I've put time into get smacked with the nerf stick, and I don't like playing with the constant fear that it's going to happen again and again.

Pro video game life tip: Don't get attached to or heavily invested in poo poo that is transparently broken as hell, or you will become The Pubby.

Plus Nova is still going to be ridiculously powerful after the nerfs.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 17, 2014

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Lonjon posted:

Try being me. I stopped playing before Rhino was good, and eventually I figured out waiting for DE to finally get account migration working wasn't worth it because everything I had was Nerfed to hell and gone, so starting from scratch was better. Not to be an rear end, but that's not even a Nerf that Nova got. If it really gets your panties that wadded, switch up your frames. If you're playing a nekros, you aren't above playing ash or volt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They haven't changed nova's 2 at all. Even if molecular prime gets nerfed into uselessness (it won't), nova will still be very fast with a great mobility power and antimatter drop will still do ridiculous damage. That's better than most frames get.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Angstrum: build or pass?

e: vvvvv soon as I can get those two argon crystals, sure thing. Thanks!

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 17, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

zgrowler2 posted:

Angstrum: build or pass?

BUILD DEFINITELY BUILD GO BUILD IT NOW

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Angstrom has a charge trigger like Ogris, but you can keep charging past the first shot all the way up to firing your entire (3-shot by default) magazine at once. The only problem is that you can't hold a full charge; once it hits max it immediately fires.

In other words, it's Good Design: a powerful and interesting weapon with limitations that make you think about how you use it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
With a tap and the default 3 rockets, it'll charge to one third and fire 1. If you hold to a bit past halfway (say, two thirds) it'll fire 2 and if you charge fully it'll fire 3. If you have only 2 or 1 rocket loaded it'll take less to reach full charge. I'm yet to try a clip size mod but I hear it lets you fire even more.

Oh and you can add multishot and Magnum Force for maximum explosion coverage.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The trigger is more like the Stug than Ogris

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I loving love saryn, given she may be a terrible suit, but gently caress, I'm enjoying this poo poo. Poison, molt, being tanky as poo poo, these are some good times. I'm mastery 3, what should I be using as a weapon? My braton is 30, and i'm building the boltor. Is this the right course of action for a mastery three tenno?

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
If I were to get some Plat, is it worth splurging for any of the mod packs? I messed up and bought the wrong follower though I have credits for the Carrier just not the materials.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I loving love saryn, given she may be a terrible suit, but gently caress, I'm enjoying this poo poo. Poison, molt, being tanky as poo poo, these are some good times. I'm mastery 3, what should I be using as a weapon? My braton is 30, and i'm building the boltor. Is this the right course of action for a mastery three tenno?

Saryn is fantastic.

The honest truth is that there are very few must-have weapons in this game, and equally few must-avoid ones. If you're looking for a suggestion for good general purpose guns that will be a reliable go-to, consider the Karak rifle. Build the Nikana once you hit 4, and the Marelok at 5. At 6, the really broken poo poo (soma/penta) becomes available.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Moochewmoo posted:

If I were to get some Plat, is it worth splurging for any of the mod packs?

No

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Moochewmoo posted:

If I were to get some Plat, is it worth splurging for any of the mod packs? I messed up and bought the wrong follower though I have credits for the Carrier just not the materials.

No. Go and gift that plat in General chat to the first guy that talks about furry fanfiction - it will be money better spent in comparison. :v:

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
just ask in clan/alliance chat and goons will give you all of the core mods - serration, multishot, energy siphon. that sort of thing. Some will give you nightmare or corrupted mods, too, or at least go on vault hunts with you.

The Angstrom, on charge, will fire its entire magazine of 3 or more. I slotted for +100% mag size and got twice as many rockets. It's pretty cool, but really highlights how pathetic DE's cone-of-fire is.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I wasn't impressed with Angstrum myself. I think the whole "automatically fires at the end of charge" basically translates to "non-stop suicides once you have it modded to do real damage".

That being said, it is interesting that they made a weapon where modding for clip size is Really Important and actually can be prioritized over just modding for more damage. More stuff like that can mitigate the terribleness of the mod system.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Coldbird posted:

I wasn't impressed with Angstrum myself. I think the whole "automatically fires at the end of charge" basically translates to "non-stop suicides once you have it modded to do real damage".
I don't see the problem here

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sleepy Owl posted:

I don't see the problem here

But they just nerfed Trinity :saddowns:

e: but seriously the suicide guns are the most fun ones in this game

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 17, 2014

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Okay this is getting to be supremely loving bullshit. I've been trying to solo jackle and with zero warning he just kills me and ends the mission. I should of had at least 4 downs. Earlier his dumb grenades blew me up repeatedly across the room and he spamed the AoE explosion until I was caught in a cycle of falling out of the arena.

This wouldn't feel so annoying if it seemed like there was any feedback for what I'm doing wrong, but it just seems like the game is just being a dick because it wants to.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I hear his AI messes up if you get close. Try that?

If you have Mag 2 castings of Shield Polarize will let you skip most of the bullshit.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Moochewmoo posted:

Okay this is getting to be supremely loving bullshit. I've been trying to solo jackle and with zero warning he just kills me and ends the mission. I should of had at least 4 downs. Earlier his dumb grenades blew me up repeatedly across the room and he spamed the AoE explosion until I was caught in a cycle of falling out of the arena.

This wouldn't feel so annoying if it seemed like there was any feedback for what I'm doing wrong, but it just seems like the game is just being a dick because it wants to.

Why are you trying to solo Jackal when there are dozens of goons on both platforms that'll help?

Either way, are you decently geared? He doesn't exactly have anything that'll wipe you immediately. If you get caught in his stomp and repeatedly knocked off the platform, a well timed jump or slide off to the side once you reappear (from falling) will get you out of that.

But honestly, unless you're using a decently modded weapon, soloing him may not be a great idea.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

Why are you doing it solo unless you're a ridiculously powerful tenno-god at mastery 12 or something? Even pubbies are better than doing it alone.

Jackal is Shoot the legs until he kneels, then shoot the body for a small amount of damage, repeat until dead. Shooting while he's getting up is useless. This is unless you have a stupid powerful gun and you can just eat through his main body shield and damage his health directly, but shooting and downing his legs again at any time will recharge the main shield.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Doji Sekushi posted:

Why are you trying to solo Jackal when there are dozens of goons on both platforms that'll help?

Either way, are you decently geared? He doesn't exactly have anything that'll wipe you immediately. If you get caught in his stomp and repeatedly knocked off the platform, a well timed jump or slide off to the side once you reappear (from falling) will get you out of that.

But honestly, unless you're using a decently modded weapon, soloing him may not be a great idea.

Because I'd like to work through content at my own pace sometimes our just screw around the map and open every box just for kicks.

He very much has something that kills you immediately though. He stood stock still for 5 seconds no animation or anything, then I died with 4 revives and got the mission failure screen. When I finally did end up killing him and getting my last rhino part he did moves he previously never did.

Edit: Okay I guess I didn't understand the revival system? You don't get revives refilled between missions, I guess it's over time or with Plat. Not sure how I would know that but whatever. Doesn't make instant downs anymore okay because the boss bugs out. If anything it makes it worse.

I doubt I have a decent anything. I have a volt frame with maxed first and fourth abilities, a Braton with all the mods I have crammed into it, Dex furis, and cronus kitted the same way. I looked through market blueprints but I don't have access to areas giving all the materials I need.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You definitely shouldn't solo bosses at the point you are at, ask some goons to help you.

Revives are per frame so if you run out you can switch to another one and have 4 revives again. They reset every 24 hours.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

Because I'd like to work through content at my own pace sometimes our just screw around the map and open every box just for kicks.

He very much has something that kills you immediately though. He stood stock still for 5 seconds no animation or anything, then I died with 4 revives and got the mission failure screen. When I finally did end up killing him and getting my last rhino part he did moves he previously never did.

Edit: Okay I guess I didn't understand the revival system? You don't get revives refilled between missions, I guess it's over time or with Plat. Not sure how I would know that but whatever. Doesn't make instant downs anymore okay because the boss bugs out. If anything it makes it worse.

I doubt I have a decent anything. I have a volt frame with maxed first and fourth abilities, a Braton with all the mods I have crammed into it, Dex furis, and cronus kitted the same way. I looked through market blueprints but I don't have access to areas giving all the materials I need.

Him standing still should have been proceeded by a loud fwump; this is him deploying a shitload of tiny bombs in front of him. You died.

Also the boxes and lockers hold nothing of value, ever, besides the semi-uncommon nav coordinate, but by the time you want to farm for derelicts, someone already has a million keys of whatever you want to run in the clan. And revives fill up at midnight GMT every day. And are per-frame, so dying 4 times on your volt then swapping to a rhino means you'd still have 4 rhino revives.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The game falls apart pretty hard when you solo most things without having a lot of gear. Unless you absolutely have to solo I would always try to get someone else to help (either set your status to public or ask in clan chat).

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Him standing still should have been proceeded by a loud fwump; this is him deploying a shitload of tiny bombs in front of him. You died.

Also the boxes and lockers hold nothing of value, ever, besides the semi-uncommon nav coordinate, but by the time you want to farm for derelicts, someone already has a million keys of whatever you want to run in the clan. And revives fill up at midnight GMT every day. And are per-frame, so dying 4 times on your volt then swapping to a rhino means you'd still have 4 rhino revives.

Yeah I'm aware I died. I'm familiar with his grenade attack which this did not appear to be. I'm really not sure how much more clear I can be on that. It's happened twice so far and I'm working on recording it to share.

I guess that's good to know about boxes, but what's the purpose of solo play if progression doesn't work to begin with? Why not just force people into groups in the first place?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Moochewmoo posted:

He has two separate explosion attacks:

1) A spray of blue plasma grenades that he shoots out in front of him. They stick to everything they touch and explode after two seconds. This is his nastiest attack, tbh.
2) Rockets that shoot up from his rear end, hover in the air for a while, then drop one by one.

If you hear a big fwoosh sound and see a bunch of white smoke lines going up, that's your cue to start running, and not stop for until the explosions end. There's no warning for the grenades; the only solution there is "don't stand in front of him, whether up close or far away."

Jackal is honestly one of the harder bosses to solo if you're early in the game -- at that low of a level, your biggest challenge will end up being not running out of ammo, since I'm guessing you only have a Braton atm. Unless you're intent on getting Rhino ASAP, my suggestion would be to start doing content on Earth first, and get more affinity for your frame and gun.

The number one thing about soloing Jackal is to never stand in front of it. Knock it down by shooting out its hind legs, then walk behind it and shoot its main body in the rear end/side. Always run around it so that it's constantly trying to turn and face you.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Some people really like solo play, and once you get at least one good weapon or frame just about every gametype can be done solo.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Denzine posted:

Some people really like solo play, and once you get at least one good weapon or frame just about every gametype can be done solo.

Yep, I'm another of those weirdos who enjoys solo play. I only have two modes: Playing with Goons, and playing private.

The Jackal is notably hard because it's early in the game, and most soloers don't have a frame to 30 yet, much less a weapon to 30, much less _good_ weapons. The same soloer can come back later with a Karak and pretty much any lv30 frame and solo it trivially.

(In contrast, the Hyena Pack is hard even for well-equipped soloers.)

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

ullerrm posted:

He has two separate explosion attacks:

1) A spray of blue plasma grenades that he shoots out in front of him. They stick to everything they touch and explode after two seconds. This is his nastiest attack, tbh.
2) Rockets that shoot up from his rear end, hover in the air for a while, then drop one by one.

If you hear a big fwoosh sound and see a bunch of white smoke lines going up, that's your cue to start running, and not stop for until the explosions end. There's no warning for the grenades; the only solution there is "don't stand in front of him, whether up close or far away."

Jackal is honestly one of the harder bosses to solo if you're early in the game -- at that low of a level, your biggest challenge will end up being not running out of ammo, since I'm guessing you only have a Braton atm. Unless you're intent on getting Rhino ASAP, my suggestion would be to start doing content on Earth first, and get more affinity for your frame and gun.

The number one thing about soloing Jackal is to never stand in front of it. Knock it down by shooting out its hind legs, then walk behind it and shoot its main body in the rear end/side. Always run around it so that it's constantly trying to turn and face you.

Alright fair enough. I'll try some of these out for kicks and see if I can't kill him again. I have my rhino stuff now, but it's still good to know.

My Barton has 600 something rounds now, and my furis take a leg off in roughly a second. I use chain lighting to clear mine drones which helps. I need to focus on getting around him more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ullerrm posted:

Yep, I'm another of those weirdos who enjoys solo play. I only have two modes: Playing with Goons, and playing private.

The Jackal is notably hard because it's early in the game, and most soloers don't have a frame to 30 yet, much less a weapon to 30, much less _good_ weapons. The same soloer can come back later with a Karak and pretty much any lv30 frame and solo it trivially.

(In contrast, the Hyena Pack is hard even for well-equipped soloers.)

Much less good mods, which is more important than having a "good weapon". Of course a good gun matters when your min/maxing the poo poo out of the game, but in my experience my ability to shoot mans has been directly correlated to whatever good mods I have levelled.

I mention this because it's a fact of the game that took me a long time to learn.