Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Unless it involves trans fats or drinking 68 quarts of soda in a single sitting. But I guess that's covered by the "we think it's bad" part.

Ah, but you're forgetting "Trans fats and ten liters of soda in one sitting is good for you, because gently caress liberals! Pour some motor oil into a storm drain on Earth Day!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Yes, the sweet sweet tears! Please continue to make the case that same sex marriage should remain illegal because animus. :getin:

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
I read an extremely insightful comment on NPR's website:

quote:

You can tell a social attitude is on its last legs by the quality of the arguments of those defending it.

I feel like I could have pointed out the logical holes in anti-gay marriage arguments when I was 12.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So do people opposing gay marriage really think that there are a substantial amount of gay people who are waiting for equal marriage before having sex with their partner? I mean, I'm sure some do, but if the negative stigma towards homosexual males is that they're promiscuous anyway, I can't make the jump the opposition is making that allowing for equal marriage will increase same-sex marriage (and thus std's, etc) by that much more :psyduck:.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Morter posted:

So do people opposing gay marriage really think that there are a substantial amount of gay people who are waiting for equal marriage before having sex with their partner? I mean, I'm sure some do, but if the negative stigma towards homosexual males is that they're promiscuous anyway, I can't make the jump the opposition is making that allowing for equal marriage will increase same-sex marriage (and thus std's, etc) by that much more :psyduck:.

It's (in their minds) a "better" way to say gays are icky.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Morter posted:

No no, you see, there's an untapped pool of straight people just waiting to be lured into the gay lifestyle by virtue of it becoming more mainstream and conventional when same-sex marriage becomes legalized. Because god wants them to have children in heterosexual marriage and as raising children is both difficult and a commitment, they'll just choose the gay lifestyle and not bother with any of that.

I have literally heard that last sentence used as an argument against gay marriage before.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
A lot of people do believe most other people simply don't have sex outside of a marriage, and thus gay marriage will mean way more people having gay sex than do now.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

RZApublican posted:

No no, you see, there's an untapped pool of straight people just waiting to be lured into the gay lifestyle by virtue of it becoming more mainstream and conventional when same-sex marriage becomes legalized. Because god wants them to have children in heterosexual marriage and as raising children is both difficult and a commitment, they'll just choose the gay lifestyle and not bother with any of that.

I have literally heard that last sentence used as an argument against gay marriage before.

Based on my experience with evangelicals it's exactly this. No part of this is an exaggeration in any way. It reminds me most of the abstinence only movement. Even though birth control, sex education, and plan b could, say, greatly reduce the amount of abortions and single mothers, that's not the point. Just as the point of bringing up STDs among homosexuals does not have anything to do with wanting to lower this rate (in fact, to many evangelicals these STDs are a manifestation of god's wrath). It is all about stamping out a perceived moral evil from society.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Saying "We want to ban gay marriage to PROTECT gays from getting STDs!" reminded me of the Onion video, "Gays too precious to risk in combat."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aotlEpmAFVQ

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Wouldn't the spread of gays staying virgins until their gay marriage (to other gay virgins) slow the spread of STDs going by fundy logic? Or do they believe in spontaneous generation for STDs? Is the next step gay mice being born from gay wheat?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

platedlizard posted:

Wouldn't the spread of gays staying virgins until their gay marriage (to other gay virgins) slow the spread of STDs going by fundy logic? Or do they believe in spontaneous generation for STDs? Is the next step gay mice being born from gay wheat?

I certainly know that there are people who believe that certain STDs are caused by "sodomy", like they think that anal and oral sex spread infections that literally can't exist in any other way. So yeah, I think gay wheat is the next thing, followed by gay basil and gay bricks making gay scorpions.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
One of Jack Chick's tracts, "Angels?" (about a Christian rock group, tract's message is all rock is from Satan) has a bit in it where two of the band members say they're gay and going to get married while "Lewis Siffer" silently says "Then I'll give you a wedding present...some AIDS!"

So apparently there are people who think that gay sex just creates AIDS somehow.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Religious people think there's an invisible man in the sky that you can communicate with by thinking while sitting in a certain way and who influences the world through undefined magic. Logic is not their strong suit.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Twelve by Pies posted:

So apparently there are people who think that gay sex just creates AIDS somehow.

GRID was a thing for a brief moment.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's the friction. Like, rub 2 sticks together, get fire. Rub 2 dicks together, welp you get AIDS.

e: it would explain why lesbians have the lowest incidence of AIDS, anyway!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

AYC posted:

I read an extremely insightful comment on NPR's website:

I feel like I could have pointed out the logical holes in anti-gay marriage arguments when I was 12.

I have definitely noticed the quality of defenses of gay bigotry has gone down dramatically. I recall a time during Bush's second term where comments on NPR and CNN stories had almost cogent arguments. Part of the issue, though, aside from changing public opinion, is that actual loving scientists have tested the claims of gay marriage opponents, and found them bullshit. Fewer people argue being gay is a choice because it's scientifically unsupported.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ColdPie posted:

Religious people think there's an invisible man in the sky that you can communicate with by thinking while sitting in a certain way and who influences the world through undefined magic. Logic is not their strong suit.

I always find it fascinating that there are people who think this brand of righteous :goonsay: rhetoric helps advance social causes, especially in a society where a large majority of the people identify as religious. Its existence, in a movement that's trying to promote tolerance and love, is baffling. Doubly so when one considers the history of so many of the civil rights movements in America which gained critical mass by galvanizing support among religious moderates.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 17, 2014

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Spatula City posted:

I have definitely noticed the quality of defenses of gay bigotry has gone down dramatically. I recall a time during Bush's second term where comments on NPR and CNN stories had almost cogent arguments. Part of the issue, though, aside from changing public opinion, is that actual loving scientists have tested the claims of gay marriage opponents, and found them bullshit. Fewer people argue being gay is a choice because it's scientifically unsupported.

Not to mention that LGBT parenting has gained approval from the psychological and sociological community.

In other words, there isn't a rational reason to oppose gay marriage anymore. Not that there ever was in the first place.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I always find it fascinating that there are people who think this brand of righteous :goonsay: rhetoric helps advance social causes

Didn't think it was. You're reading more into my post than there was.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Its existence, in a movement that's trying to promote tolerance and love, is baffling.

I support using facts and logic to arrive at the best conclusion. This results in a pretty strong defense of people being harmed for reasons founded in pure bullshit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AYC posted:

Not to mention that LGBT parenting has gained approval from the psychological and sociological community.

In other words, there isn't a rational reason to oppose gay marriage anymore. Not that there ever was in the first place.

Ha! You forget the other side's insistence that being gay is still a mental disease and only political pressure led to it being reclassified.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

staticman posted:

The bigots are coming full circle! :unsmigghh:

Houston Pastor: Businesses Have The Right To Refuse Service To Jews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ZBaePAYx8

A female pastor bashing homosexuality. I wonder if the fellow in the New Testament who (might have) condemned homosexuality ever said anything about womens role in the church? NAAAAH.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Didn't think it was. You're reading more into my post than there was.

I support using facts and logic to arrive at the best conclusion. This results in a pretty strong defense of people being harmed for reasons founded in pure bullshit.

I'm directing this at the guy you quoted as well; please do not have this argument, as it will only end with a billion posts no-one wants to read.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Has the Full Faith and Credit Clause been mentioned in any arguments either pre- or post-Windsor? Have any post-Windsor rulings mentioned the FFCC?

I'm trying to figure out how it is that DOMA never violated the FFCC, which says

quote:

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Marriage is considered a public record, isn't it? I mean, the FFCC is the reason that hetero marriages are federally recognized, right? I guess DOMA tried to get around this by giving marriage a federal definition, but then at the same time it said that states can choose how they define marriage, but don't have to recognize marriages from other states that aren't recognized in their state. :psyduck:

But now the part of DOMA that federally defined marriage has been struck down, so I'm not seeing how the remaining part doesn't violate the FFCC unless it's also now okay for a state to decide not to recognize a hetero marriage from another state.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

katium posted:

Has the Full Faith and Credit Clause been mentioned in any arguments either pre- or post-Windsor? Have any post-Windsor rulings mentioned the FFCC?

I'm trying to figure out how it is that DOMA never violated the FFCC, which says

Marriage is considered a public record, isn't it? I mean, the FFCC is the reason that hetero marriages are federally recognized, right? I guess DOMA tried to get around this by giving marriage a federal definition, but then at the same time it said that states can choose how they define marriage, but don't have to recognize marriages from other states that aren't recognized in their state. :psyduck:

But now the part of DOMA that federally defined marriage has been struck down, so I'm not seeing how the remaining part doesn't violate the FFCC unless it's also now okay for a state to decide not to recognize a hetero marriage from another state.

There's a gadget called the public policy exception.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

katium posted:

I could be wrong, but from what I've read it's because the allowance of/bans on same-sex marriage laws are considered to be laws that each state is allowed to decide for themselves, and the supreme court has decided that states don't have to recognize those types of laws made in other states.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Full faith and credit is a basic principle that all laws start at, but doesn't have to be strictly followed. Among other things, interracial marriages from other states were not recognized in about a dozen states until the supreme court stuck down all interracial marriage restrictions.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gun permits for carrying in public also don't have to be recognizes across state lines, though several states have agreements that make it possible in 30 or so of the states.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

FFCC is more akin to a Maxim of Equity, because the public policy exemption allows states to demand a higher regulatory standard for licenses/contracts rather than being whatever the lowest/cheapest of the 49 neighbors demands- as long as the license/contract has a public interest / rational basis for the state to care about it.

(See guns, marriages/family, construction permits, insurance permits, etc.)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ColdPie posted:

This coming from someone who lives in a place without an anti-SSM amendment due to the reasoned beliefs of a large coalition of secular and religious groups. It's disappointing a fellow Minnesotan feels it is appropriate to spew this type of vitriolic bigotry, but then again here I am arguing about religious tolerance on the Internet. With a :goonsay: goon. :thumbsup:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 18, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ooh, name calling. Nice one

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This coming from someone who lives in a place without an anti-SSM amendment due to the reasoned beliefs of a large coalition of secular and religious groups.

Yes, thank you that your reasoned religious beliefs have led you to not actively supporting the introduction of hate laws. After centuries of denial of dignity and basic human rights to anybody who doesn't fit the narrow, backwarded morals of your religion people now have to be thankful because you are not actively prosecuting them :rolleyes:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Please do not do this nobody wants to read it

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Spatula City posted:

Fewer people argue being gay is a choice because it's scientifically unsupported.
This is a point that always upsets me. Let's suppose that homosexuality was a product of upbringing, or even a choice. That should be irrelevant to whether we should support gay rights or same-sex marriage, because we should do that anyway. Only if we think that homosexuality was wrong should its being a choice even be relevant.

(not saying it is a choice, just that it's not being a choice is a bad point for gay rights advocates to use to defend gay rights)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

This is a point that always upsets me. Let's suppose that homosexuality was a product of upbringing, or even a choice. That should be irrelevant to whether we should support gay rights or same-sex marriage, because we should do that anyway. Only if we think that homosexuality was wrong should its being a choice even be relevant.

(not saying it is a choice, just that it's not being a choice is a bad point for gay rights advocates to use to defend gay rights)

It's a lot easier to argue something is bad if it's a choice though (at least since the :godwin: types stopped being popular).

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Lagotto posted:

Yes, thank you that your reasoned religious beliefs have led you to not actively supporting the introduction of hate laws. After centuries of denial of dignity and basic human rights to anybody who doesn't fit the narrow, backwarded morals of your religion people now have to be thankful because you are not actively prosecuting them :rolleyes:

If pro-LGBT Christian denominations deserve to be shunned for sins of the past, doesn't virtually every institution that has existed for more than a few decades deserve to be shunned?

Also "not actively prosecuting (persecuting?) them" is downplaying their role, he was referring to pro-LGBT Christian groups that actively fought against the amendment right there beside all of the LGBT groups.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 18, 2014

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This coming from someone who lives in a place without an anti-SSM amendment due to the reasoned beliefs of a large coalition of secular and religious groups. It's disappointing a fellow Minnesotan feels it is appropriate to spew this type of vitriolic bigotry, but then again here I am arguing about religious tolerance on the Internet. With a :goonsay: goon. :thumbsup:

Lutha Mahtin, I love and support you, but there are so many better places to have this argument. Y'all could even make a thread for it. No one wants to read this here.

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

If pro-LGBT Christian denominations deserve to be shunned for sins of the past, doesn't virtually every institution that has existed for more than a few decades deserve to be shunned?

Also "not actively prosecuting (persecuting?) them" is downplaying their role, he was referring to pro-LGBT Christian groups that actively fought against the amendment right there beside all of the LGBT groups.

I had a whole post typed out, but I'll just keep it to my short personal opinion to minimize further derail.

This is not the thread to whine about more tolerance for religion.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Others have said this already, but a SSM thread is really not the place to talk about how tolerant one's faith is. Yes, you got to the finish line, we're all very proud, but it took you two thousand years to run the race. Talk about reparations, talk about how the faith has changed for the better of everyone, but nobody's impressed by Christians who accept gay people.

I know you're coming from a good place, but you're going to encounter a lot of completely justified resistance to this topic.

Edit: vvvv Also that; well said. vvvv

mdemone fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 18, 2014

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

MaxxBot posted:

I would say that people and organizations that actively encouraged the denial of civil rights have a duty to actively/publicly repudiate those beliefs and acknowledge that they were wrong and responsible for substantial harm. They should also offer some reasoning on why their stance changed, especially religious organizations, since it's not clear to me what change could occur that would convince a religious person to change their mind (absent a new revelation from their god of choice). Silently moving your opinion to agree with the majority is not sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

twodot posted:

I would say that people and organizations that actively encouraged the denial of civil rights have a duty to actively/publicly repudiate those beliefs and acknowledge that they were wrong and responsible for substantial harm. They should also offer some reasoning on why their stance changed, especially religious organizations, since it's not clear to me what change could occur that would convince a religious person to change their mind (absent a new revelation from their god of choice). Silently moving your opinion to agree with the majority is not sufficient.

Ignorance is a pretty easy one.

• Locked thread